• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs manager mega-thread

who would it be?

• Jose Mourinho

Votes: 110 48.0%
  • Guus Hiddink

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Alan Pardew

• Tim Owl Face Sherwood

• Fabio Capello

• Seb Bassong

• Sandra Redknapp

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters
Obviously his Barca exploits are excellent, but do you think they are transferable?

i think there is a huge question mark over Guardiola's chances of making a success outside of Barcelona - is he the reason they have been successful or is he just a cog in a well oiled machine which is far greater than any one individual ? the fact they have appointed their 'B' side coach as his replacement would maybe suggest the latter

i won't go to lengths as i imagine you have the same thoughts on it as i do - but that isn't to say he wouldn't be good elsewhere and if by some stroke of massive fortune we managed to get him i would certainly be excited at the prospect and focus on the positives

Guardiola will be the next Arse manager next summer after another season of failure under Wenger

Arse already have a pass and move, technical football philosophy running though the whole club, as a club they have shown loyalty to their managers, Guardiola simply has to walk in their and tweak a few things here and there and also add his bit of magic to the proceedings. He would be tempted more by them than lets say the madhouse that is Chelscum

I was told on Saturday night by somebody that knows somebody, that Guardiola is in the frame

Probably flimflam, and I'm not claiming this as ITK

_43996870_milner203.jpg

You know...I'm not so sure Guardiola would necessarily be as good an appointment as it might appear on the surface.

Sure, he oversaw arguably the greatest team ever, but there's a few key points to consider.

Firstly, he's only ever worked with one club, who's star players already have the style and philosophy he wanted to implement running through their blood since childhood. It's far harder to teach a set of players to play tika-taka if they're in their 20s and 30s. Secondly, he inherited a phenomenal team at Barca. Sure, he made changes and got them to perform, but I think he'd be in for a big shock if he tried to play similar tactics but with Defoe, Huddlestone and Lennon as he did with Messi, Xavi and Iniesta. He'd command huge respect in the dressing room, but it remains to be seen what he can do when outside his comfort zone.

Thirdly, his record in the transfer market is patchy at best. Sanchez, Villa, Fabregas, Alves, Mascherano etc are all very good players but they were very high profile when he signed them for huge amounts of money. His four seasons there saw him also waste huge amounts of money on the likes of Ibrahimovic, Hleb and Keirrison. Now you can argue that in the continental style he doesn't have autonomy over the transfers and has to make glamour signings to appease the fans, but still, he is largely unproven in this area of management, especially as all of his best players came through the Barca youth team. And if he looked to the Spurs youth team hoping to find another Pedro/Busquets, he'd have another thing coming based on the last 10-15 years.

Livermore, Naughton(I classify Naughton as a product of our youth system, yes), Caulker, Coulibaly, Kane.....a few less promising yet still talented lads would be Carroll, Townsend, Falque et al. We may not be Barcelona, but we've got a decent youth system for him to mess around with. Of the first five youngsters mentioned, all of them can easily make it in the Premier League, imo. In fact, Naughton, Caulker and Livermore already have.

As completely unrealistic as it is and I'm not even sure why I'm even entertaining the idea, would anyone seriously say no to Pep being the new manager?

I get your point on the similar rhetoric but with respect I don't think the club is even close to being in the same situation. Redknapp was hired when we were flirting with relegation, and obviously far exceeded his brief, whereas now we're perennial CL hopefuls. Another 'steady hand' won't progress us into CL regulars hence the willingness to take a risk on AVB or Martinez in the hope that they will be the next thing.
Anyway how boring would it be to have Moyes as manager. Spurs don't do boring.

I do not think that this is true. Established managers like Moyes or Capello are more than capable of identifying and signing the players that we need to establish ourselves as a top four team. Their teams are typically well organised and very competitive both of which are key in achieving a high league placing.

Moyes is shaky in the transfer market

Every manager has successes and failures in the transfer market. I think that Moyes has had more successes than most managers and someone who has signed Jagielka, Cahill, Lescott and Arteta can certainly spot a player. In the past I would have questioned his ability to spot a striker but he certainly signed a good one this January. The difference with AVB and Martinez is that they have not been in management long enough to judge their record in the transfer market.

I do not think that this is true. Established managers like Moyes or Capello are more than capable of identifying and signing the players that we need to establish ourselves as a top four team. Their teams are typically well organised and very competitive both of which are key in achieving a high league placing.

When has Moyes ever spent relatively big money and delivered a signing that can be considered a rousing success? He has had the opportunity, but has rarely delivered on that score. Maybe if he had delivered when it mattered there, Everton would be top 6 instead of top 8 and progressed even more than they have. I think he's shown so far he can find bargains, identify undervalued talent or find good young players and make them play like a top 10 club, but he hasn't ever shown he can spend big money on the right player. We'd be asking him to improve an already good squad. He wouldn't be looking for bargains, he'd be looking for established players that can fit into us. And I think that's why people have reservations about Moyes becoming our manager. As good as he is at doing what he does, he'd have to be using a totally different set of skills with us. The skills we are looking for don't seem to be the skills he is naturally using.

On Guardiola, I think he is more than simply an ordinary coach that is blessed with good players. I think he is something special. I will back that up more another time...but I think he has something.

i think there is a huge question mark over Guardiola's chances of making a success outside of Barcelona - is he the reason they have been successful or is he just a cog in a well oiled machine which is far greater than any one individual ? the fact they have appointed their 'B' side coach as his replacement would maybe suggest the latter

i won't go to lengths as i imagine you have the same thoughts on it as i do - but that isn't to say he wouldn't be good elsewhere and if by some stroke of massive fortune we managed to get him i would certainly be excited at the prospect and focus on the positives

Vilanova worked as Guardiola's #2 whilst with the B side and overseeing the whole youth setup

Guardiola helped many of the players that have broken through even in the Rijkaard years as a player he used to help the youth teams when Messi first arrived, alot of the kids that came through the system were teached by Guardiola, Guardiola is Fabregas's hero

Guardiola wasn't just a cog, its said he got the #1 job because all the players adored him. Barca have created a boot-room style atmosphere.

It would be fantastic to bring him here to take over the whole system from top to bottom let alone just head coach.

Consider what his good buys cost, and then what his bad did - does brilliantly on peanuts but wastes millions when given money to spend

I can only find two ?10m+ players on this list, Fellaini and Yakubu. I know that Fellaini has his critics on here but he has been a success there and when he leaves Everton it will be for a bigger club. I'd agree that Yakubu wasn't a great success.

Livermore, Naughton(I classify Naughton as a product of our youth system, yes), Caulker, Coulibaly, Kane.....a few less promising yet still talented lads would be Carroll, Townsend, Falque et al. We may not be Barcelona, but we've got a decent youth system for him to mess around with. Of the first five youngsters mentioned, all of them can easily make it in the Premier League, imo. In fact, Naughton, Caulker and Livermore already have.

Ok...I really don't see how Naughton can be classified as a product of our youth system when he had played 40 odd games for another club's first team and had already broken into the England U21s before we signed him. Kane has shown me nothing to suggest he will ever be good enough to play in the Premier League let alone for our first team. Carroll has potential but at his age the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, Carrick, Barry, Wheelchair, Parker, Huddlestone...even Jenas and Henderson, were regulars at Premier League clubs, he struggled to break into the first team at a Derby side that finished mid-table in the Championship. Coulibaly is just another 17 year old kid, no idea if he'll be any good or not.

Livermore and Caulker have done well, and next season will be massive for them both in seeing if they're good enough to push on or if they get shown up like Jamie O'Hara or Reto Ziegler did after initially looking promising. Regardless, those two hardly make our youth team prospects comparable to some of our rivals in the Premiership like Man Utd or Arsenal, and certainly not to Barcelona where Pep has seen Pedro and Busquets graduate in his time.

As completely unrealistic as it is and I'm not even sure why I'm even entertaining the idea, would anyone seriously say no to Pep being the new manager?

Of course I'd say yes, if only for the reason that we'd be able to attract a significantly higher calibre of player in transfers with him at the helm, at least for the first transfer window in charge. But for the reasons I mentioned in my last post, I'd be a bit sceptical as to whether it would work out in the long run.

Vilanova worked as Guardiola's #2 whilst with the B side and overseeing the whole youth setup

Guardiola helped many of the players that have broken through even in the Rijkaard years as a player he used to help the youth teams when Messi first arrived, alot of the kids that came through the system were teached by Guardiola, Guardiola is Fabregas's hero

Guardiola wasn't just a cog, its said he got the #1 job because all the players adored him. Barca have created a boot-room style atmosphere.

It would be fantastic to bring him here to take over the whole system from top to bottom let alone just head coach.

i guess the question is - could he transfer all that to another club where he has to start from a blank canvas ?

Im a little in the dark over what he has specifically done behind the scenes at Barca - If he has had a huge role behind the end product of the first team then then that'd be more reason to think he could do well elsewhere

I can only find two ?10m+ players on this list, Fellaini and Yakubu. I know that Fellaini has his critics on here but he has been a success there and when he leaves Everton it will be for a bigger club. I'd agree that Yakubu wasn't a great success.

Fellaini was a very good buy that will be sold on for a profit and Yakubu was decent. Neither were bad buys.

How can you say Moyes is bad in the transfer market when he's brought in Fellaini, Yak, Pienaar and Jelavic for basically nothing?

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but does anyone remember Guardiola being heavily linked to us as a player? Back in the days when we'd be linked to Effenburg every window. I wonder if any relationships were built back then (I'm sure Levy was around)?

Back