• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs manager mega-thread

who would it be?

• Jose Mourinho

Votes: 110 48.0%
  • Guus Hiddink

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Alan Pardew

• Tim Owl Face Sherwood

• Fabio Capello

• Seb Bassong

• Sandra Redknapp

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters
West Brom - official approach from the FA to speak to Woy

Not a surprise. With the National Football Centre opening after the summer, the FA want someone who is going to get involved with all of the England teams, and to work with a new technical director to set the tone for how young coaches will be coached in the future. Is that Redkanpp? Plus Harry might just be too expensive.

or maybe not. It all depends on:

the results of the next three games
whether Chelsea win the Champions League final
whether the manager situation is resolved quickly
who replaces Redknapp, if he leaves
whether anyone comes in for Modric and/or Bale

I agree as it happens. I do think we can win the next three and get even 3rd if Arsenal slip up, and it is possible that Harry will sign a new contract. Just hope if that is what happens we can learn from events since January and also from who affected we have been by a lack of depth. Surprised by the Roy news, not because he isnt a good candidate but just didn't expect it to happen so quickly. Quite embarrassing for Harry though.

I've taken to dubbing Martinez mini-Mourinhio for this very reason. Of course, the comparison is absurd in terms of achievement, but in terms of personality and charisma I think there are glaring similarities. Both of them it seems to me are not only liked by their players, but come to be semi-revered by them. I've never seen anyone like Mourinhio when it comes to getting loyalty and love from his players, but I think Martinez is in the ballpark. Season after season of losing and losing, but Martinez still has enough respect in the dressing room and training pitch to get performances out of them like we've seen in the last 4 or 6 weeks. This must come down to personality and charisma.

Fair enough BoL, but I have heard the exact same "progressive and highly thought of young coaches" about many managers over the years. Paul Jewell, Micky Adams, Aidy Boothroyd, Steve McLaren, Neil Webb, Mike Walker, Graham Rix, George Burley, Craig Levein, AVB, Southgate. Probably another couple of dozen I can't even remember the names of because they've been shooting stars.

I really don't know how we decide that Rodgers isn't one of those. My guess is that he isn't, but I am by no means certain. His press interviews make him come across as thoughtful and sensative...but certainly a leader of men? No. Certainly the next big thing? Maybe, but not certainly.

As I said above, anyone is a punt in reality. But if we're going to punt on the basis of a track record, style of football, dealings in the xfer market, tactical coherence and man-management, I'm not entirely sure how Rodgers jumps ahead of Martinez using those metrics.

I agree, to be honest I would be very happy with Martinez. Kind of ahead of Rodgers at the moment, and as you say he does seem to have charisma that sets him apart. And some of the football Wigan have been playing, particularly against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, was absolutely sensational. He is getting that out of Wigan. It's amazing. I must admit Martinez jumped ahead in my estimation because of the good form, because before my first choice was Rodgers. So there's an element of needing to be careful, but I think he'd be great for us.

As for people saying Martinez has hardly done a good job, because Bruce and Jewell did well - well that was in a different landscape. They had a bit more money to spend at the time, where as now other teams have outspent them. They also lose key players year on year and Martinez still has to try and pull this great football out from somewhere...but he keeps managing it. He's done a fantastic job.

Defensively I think Wigan are naive, leaving huge gaps to be exploited and done been consistently so. Against Saudi Sportswashing Machine they were extremely fortunate to keep a cleen sheet (Cisse hit the bar twice for starters!). I think recently they have been gung-ho with nothing to lose, and their attacking play has won them a lot of points and admirers.

Compare to Swansea, who can be shaky defensively - but they are usually well set up - it seems more a lack of ability in their defenders rather than positioning etc. One of the Wolves goals the other day (Fletcher I think), full back closed down the winger, but failed to stop the cross (poor defending, not set up) and then Fletcher got between the CBs to nod in - yet they were basically where you would want them, they just didnt stop him...

Well, if Woy is confirmed as England manager, then at least it's OUR choice what we do with Redknapp i.e. sack him or keep him and give him some money to spend, it won't be forced upon us by the FA.

for all the AVB fans, i see that Porto are doing very well again, after 28 games W21, D6,L1, all without the goals form Falcao, a point away from the title with 2 games to go

so, is the current guy a candidate?

Back