• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs manager mega-thread

who would it be?

• Jose Mourinho

Votes: 110 48.0%
  • Guus Hiddink

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Alan Pardew

• Tim Owl Face Sherwood

• Fabio Capello

• Seb Bassong

• Sandra Redknapp

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters
It wasn't aimed at you specifically

I grew up in the 60s and 70s where a daily paper was as quick as news got to be

now all news is instant, everything is now now now - and so its only right that people of your generation expect instant everything

the closest thing in football is abramovitch/mansour sponsored instantaneous success.

Learning to nurture and wait is what younger people, than my generation, have to learn, but thats life, and how the world turns. The only thing that is constant is change.

I would like to see HR reject England, and stay on, but I'd have to stop logging in here, the Gutterboy mentality that has drowned this board is doing my head in now. I can see why CAS and the older posters don't hang around anymore.

Shame really,

Maybe there could be a forum for people over 40 - both age and IQ, that would probably be a calmer and less hysterical place.

what about if your over 40:) but your IQ is under 40:frown: fudge it i will start my own forum.

did Guardiola implement the system which Barca are using or was he just around whilst some others set it all up and is now benefiting from ?

if he had a big role in the set up of the system in the early stages then id imagine he could do well at another club if he was afforded the time to do the ground work and try and replicate it all.

just going in and managing another side will probably end in tears though

Guardiola didn't implement the system; he's a graduate of it. Bit like with Ajax - it's a philosophy deeply imbedded within the clubs fabric and ethos. So, he went back to the club and coached the youth team, many of whom are now in the Barca 1st XI - success though consistency. The most successful manager at Barcelona will be one who understands two things: i) that retention of the football is the underlying principle to winning, and ii) that the fans demands often outweigh what you'll ever realistically achieve.

I think Guardiola will next pop up at either Man Utd or, more likely, Arsenal. I say Arsenal because their style of football is similar - but not as good as - Barcelona's. He'll also know that it's likely to be the club with the highest average level of technical ability amongst the squad, therein supplying him with the raw ingredients, ala Barcelona. It's then about coaching those players in how best to get the use of their ability. Manchester United have a different philosophy; win at all costs, every season. If he's a manager who relishes that pressure, then he'd gravitate towards them, no doubt about it.

Ironically enough, I don't think he'd EVER go to Emirates Marketing Project for the simple reason that they're just a tinklepot of a football club. I think a professional like Guardiola is cute enough to realise that success isn't defined by how much money you have, it's about using your skill to influence the talent which is available to you. There's no philosophy or tradition to speak of at Emirates Marketing Project - just some poxy club which has won the lottery; even if he won the Champions League, Premier League & FA Cup in the same season, no-one - rightly - could give him any credit for it. A professional would want to be acknowledged for their input, yet he wouldn't stand a chance at City.

Guardiola didn't implement the system; he's a graduate of it. Bit like with Ajax - it's a philosophy deeply imbedded within the clubs fabric and ethos. So, he went back to the club and coached the youth team, many of whom are now in the Barca 1st XI - success though consistency. The most successful manager at Barcelona will be one who understands two things: i) that retention of the football is the underlying principle to winning, and ii) that the fans demands often outweigh what you'll ever realistically achieve.

I think Guardiola will next pop up at either Man Utd or, more likely, Arsenal. I say Arsenal because their style of football is similar - but not as good as - Barcelona's. He'll also know that it's likely to be the club with the highest average level of technical ability amongst the squad, therein supplying him with the raw ingredients, ala Barcelona. It's then about coaching those players in how best to get the use of their ability. Manchester United have a different philosophy; win at all costs, every season. If he's a manager who relishes that pressure, then he'd gravitate towards them, no doubt about it.

Ironically enough, I don't think he'd EVER go to Emirates Marketing Project for the simple reason that they're just a tinklepot of a football club. I think a professional like Guardiola is cute enough to realise that success isn't defined by how much money you have, it's about using your skill to influence the talent which is available to you. There's no philosophy or tradition to speak of at Emirates Marketing Project - just some poxy club which has won the lottery; even if he won the Champions League, Premier League & FA Cup in the same season, no-one - rightly - could give him any credit for it. A professional would want to be acknowledged for their input, yet he wouldn't stand a chance at City.

Sadly, I reckon you may be right about Guardiola and Arsenal. Can't see him going to Chelsea, would imagine he's not a great fan of the club and their style of play. Could see him going to United as well. United have a win at all costs mentality as you say, but they have always been known for attacking, certainly in my lifetime anyway and Fergie likes his players to go out and express themselves.

I'd be ecstatic if he was our manager, but there's no chance he'd come to us just like Mourinho wouldn't.

It wasn't aimed at you specifically

I grew up in the 60s and 70s where a daily paper was as quick as news got to be

now all news is instant, everything is now now now - and so its only right that people of your generation expect instant everything

the closest thing in football is abramovitch/mansour sponsored instantaneous success.

Learning to nurture and wait is what younger people, than my generation, have to learn, but thats life, and how the world turns. The only thing that is constant is change.

I would like to see HR reject England, and stay on, but I'd have to stop logging in here, the Gutterboy mentality that has drowned this board is doing my head in now. I can see why CAS and the older posters don't hang around anymore.

Shame really,

Maybe there could be a forum for people over 40 - both age and IQ, that would probably be a calmer and less hysterical place.

Maybe age-wise, you have a point, but judging my IQ, is again, rather presumptious of you. Fulfilling the stereotype of older people being more judgemental, I see.;)

Well I'm young and my #1 choice is Rodgers. An appointment that I know is with a long term view in mind so I guess I don't fit the generalisation of wanting everything instantly. Infact I'd've thought the theory would've worked better the opposite way round, surely the dinosaurs around here would be wanting instant success as they might not be around by the time a long term appointment pays off :-"

Rodger for me. But we need to give him time and absolutely clear out the whole club for a fresh start.

Rodger for me. But we need to give him time and absolutely clear out the whole club for a fresh start.

I don't think that we would give Rodgers time, if we started next season under him like we did this season under Redknapp, he would be gone by Christmas. Clear what out of the club?

Why? Weren't we in a title race at Christmas?

If Rodgers comes in then I'd expect a lot of the older players to go, a lot of the squad players and the one or two who don't want to be here.

Interesting that favourites for the Barcelona job are Enrique and Biesla. Showing they're matching their potential managerial choice to the players they have and the type of football they play. Meanwhile over at Tottenham everyone seems to want to move away from what has worked successfully with the players we have (ie. man management and motivational approach). Now everyone wants a manager with a strict tactical idealogical (Rodgers, Martinez, AVB) even though there's no evidence that our players would take to that.

This was the best Spurs team we've had for 50 years and the best Spurs squad we've had for 50 years... I'm not sure how much cleaning out is needed.

Sure, a bunch of players that we've been trying to sell for years will probably still be for sale and will still probably not be sold, but we went from having great strength in depth at the start of the season to having no strength in depth now, so we can't clear out too many players and if we don't get CL football next season, we can't go on a huge spending spree anyway. (Although we do have funds.)

Guardiola is a disciple of the system. The Barca style was fathered by Cryuff who basically adopted it from the Ajax academies. Guardiola is credited with adding the defensive acumen to the fluid attacking system that Barca use. This might read strange but Barca's defense starts with the No 9. Messi or whomever. Their actual defence is not all that great once you get at it.

If we opt for Rodgers, then this is what we are buying into. In my opinion we are not wholly suited to this type of game (in terms of playing staff) but it is a system, which is better than no system.

Maybe age-wise, you have a point, but judging my IQ, is again, rather presumptious of you. Fulfilling the stereotype of older people being more judgemental, I see.;)

I didn't - you made that assumption, and you are wrong. Far from it actually, as I find it a genuine pleasure to talk to people like you

I could give you a list of the total Cambridge University Netball Team posters, but I'd get infractures and need to get plastered to take the pain away.

(my apologies if you thought the IQ comment was aimed at you)

Well I'm young and my #1 choice is Rodgers. An appointment that I know is with a long term view in mind so I guess I don't fit the generalisation of wanting everything instantly. Infact I'd've thought the theory would've worked better the opposite way round, surely the dinosaurs around here would be wanting instant success as they might not be around by the time a long term appointment pays off :-"

you slaaaaaaggggg................

ageist b'stard.............

:lol:

I didn't - you made that assumption, and you are wrong. Far from it actually, as I find it a genuine pleasure to talk to people like you

I could give you a list of the total Cambridge University Netball Team posters, but I'd get infractures and need to get plastered to take the pain away.

(my apologies if you thought the IQ comment was aimed at you)

INFRACTION

Mutual obedience and acceptance is not permitted on Glory Glory.

was just thinking about Rodgers in comparison to when Arsene came onto the scene for woolwich. Wasn't very widely known, fans weren't happy because he wasn't a big name, hadn't had a ton of experience, etc. etc. seems a lot like what Rodgers would represent if he came here. Not saying he'll have the same results, but just seems like a similar situation.

Last edited:
Back