• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

I'm sure mane was close to signing and loved poch but we didn't match liverpools offer in wages otherwise we would have got him I think. We were on the up and Liverpool were not the team that we see today.

Wijnaldum wanted assurances about starting but we couldn't promise that I think I remember but I may be wrong.

Point being is that sometimes we need that extra push in the market.

We end up paying over the odds for sissoko a player poch said he didn't know about at the time and got in nkoudou after missing out on mane.

You put them two in the team, then I think it's us that wins the league and the champions league ... well better chance
Wasn't just player wages.... We also hadn't agreed transfer terms with Saudi Sportswashing Machine and never did.

Wijnaldum was also about wages - he wanted to come here, we cheaped out on him, Liverpool offered higher wages, off he went.

Those Poch years were the height of criminal negligence on Levy's part, tbh - the one side and manager we had in the post-Cold War era capable of winning things, and he cheaped out at nearly every single turn, giving him useless rubbish and utter trash like Sissoko, Aurier, N'Koudou, N'Jie, Wimmer, Stambouli and Fazio.

The ironic thing is that he finally opened the taps post-stadium, for which I can't blame him at all - but he opened them for this Portuguese waster, the Iberian Pulis.
I wonder whether this was also why Poch didn't take any of the alternatives that summer when he wanted Grealish?

I wonder whether this was also why Poch didn't take any of the alternatives that summer when he wanted Grealish?
I’d be stunned if Poch wouldn’t have taken a player if he thought he was good enough
The issue was the players we could afford he deemed weren’t better than he had. He alluded to that a few times and I think that was sensible although in hindsight the churn may have been beneficial

I disagree, Jose is the ultimate short term manager. If he wins EL and another cup we should thank for getting the monkey of our back and CL football and show him the door.
Go out at the top, it will only get worse.
Not that I can see us winning two cups, but you live in hope.
While that is probably the case a club that has won two trophies in a year only once in its history couldn't do that. Also if the club were to sack a manager who had done this then I think other managers in the game would steer well clear of us.

If Jose manages to win something other than the Carabao Cup then he deserves another season. And I say that as a staunch supporter of 'anyone but Mourinho (or AVB)'

I think you’ll find that Liverpool made quite a lot of money out of Coutinho enabling them to buy players like VVD to massively upgrade on their squad and of course they won the PL and CL

so how was that “to his credit “?
I think they went out and got Mane and Wijnaldum ahead of a direct competitor in us before selling Coutinho though?

I suppose it depends on how you class. ‘Failing’

I didn’t want Poch in the first place because he hadn’t looked like winning anything but as I’m Spurs and have been since the early 60s so I always get behind the manager until it’s impossible
I warmed to Poch though and he gave us two good years before the wheels came off
I say failure because even with an excellent side he never came close to actually winning anything

Domestic cups he didn’t take seriously and somehow managed to finish 3rd in an alleged two horse race!

But for me although excuses can be made as to whether he was backed by Levy or not the defining moment was when he threatened to resign just before the biggest game in our history and then didn’t travel back with his beaten demoralised side
It could only end one way after that and the subsequent form of the following season

Levy should have pulled the trigger that Summer because he failed

Jose needs to be given until the end of the season despite the witch hunt already in progress
Jesus..... This year we're currently looking like we'll miss out on the top 6 altogether in a one horse race!!!!!

Think it's also untrue to say that Poch didn't take domestic cups seriously. Considering that we played numerous semi finals and a final in his time. He just prioritised the two big competitions as was the right thing to do and I'm sure as the Chairman had wanted him to do (without Pochettino's constant over achieving in the league Levy's overspending on the stadium would've bankrupted us).

i would want another experience winner after JM when that time comes. Another experienced head to work on Levy to get the investments on the pitch right and the how the transfer committee works to support the manager. Lest Levy reverts back to his moneyball methods.

Wasn't just player wages.... We also hadn't agreed transfer terms with Saudi Sportswashing Machine and never did.
Worth mentioning here that we paid Saudi Sportswashing Machine more for Sissoko on deadline day than we could've agreed a deal for to sign Wijnaldum earlier in the window. I'm not sure why this seems to be a theme for us.

We finished 5th 3rd 2nd 3rd and 4th
We didn’t finish 2nd twice
Should have but we didn’t

He wasn’t a failure because he didn’t win the League Cup

He was a failure because he didn’t win anything with us, Saints or Espanyol but he has broke his duck
with PSG
There’s a surprise!

You could argue that getting to a final was close but we never looked like winning it
And I still maintain that he should not have said anything until after the CL final

I agree that qualifying for the CL takes priority but I still think we should have won something with the side we had
Nobody remembers losers

Sorry, 3rd twice & 2nd once - as someone who's followed us from the 60s perhaps you remember when when last time was that we were so prevalent at the top end of the table? Were we balancing the books and building a stadium at the same time?

The fact you're listing his previous clubs out, with a straight face, in your reasoning for why he's a failure almost defies belief - who wins trophies with Espanyol and Southampton? That wasn't his target at either club nor a fair expectation on your part.

Afaia he done a great job at Espanyol before having the team sold out from beneath him and replaced with youth players.

At Southampton he undoubtedly done a good job and we've already established he more than met his targets here at Spurs.

You don't fail in 3 jobs then walk in to a position like PSG manager afterall.

Wijnaldum was also about wages - he wanted to come here, we cheaped out on him, Liverpool offered higher wages, off he went.

Now he's threatening to walk away from Liverpool for nothing this summer unless they significantly increase his wages.

Now he's threatening to walk away from Liverpool for nothing this summer unless they significantly increase his wages.

I don't think that's the case, he wants to move to Barcelona to work with Koeman. Liverpool have also offered him a contract that doesn't match the length that suits him currently.

I don't think that's the case, he wants to move to Barcelona to work with Koeman. Liverpool have also offered him a contract that doesn't match the length that suits him currently.

I want to fudge Angie dingdonginson, let's see who gets lucky first.

We finished 5th 3rd 2nd 3rd and 4th
We didn’t finish 2nd twice
Should have but we didn’t

He wasn’t a failure because he didn’t win the League Cup

He was a failure because he didn’t win anything with us, Saints or Espanyol but he has broke his duck
with PSG
There’s a surprise!

You could argue that getting to a final was close but we never looked like winning it
And I still maintain that he should not have said anything until after the CL final

I agree that qualifying for the CL takes priority but I still think we should have won something with the side we had
Nobody remembers losers

Yes I suppose that I am relatively new on here but can’t see what that has to do with anything as I’ve been a Spurs fan since the early 60s which qualifies me to have an opinion more than being on a particular Forum surely!
In any case I’ve been posting on Forums similar to this one for over ten years

A Forum is surely about opinions
That seems to be the whole point so I should still be able to post an opinion on here even if it differs to yours?

Very surprised at your remark about cutting me some slack because a) It’s different to yours and b) because I haven’t been on the Forum long!

I don’t agree with you saying that Poch was just making some ‘cack handed’ comment leading up to the CL final either but respect your right to make it

Anyway rant over and hopeful of a win on Wednesday
COYS

Simply put, he was not a failure.
As for what he said pre CL Final, I agree, he should not have said it, but he had some very legitimate reasons and I'll be blunt, I don't think they will ever emerge as I suspect the man has too much class. What I think is very apparent now is that whatever the result, it should've been his last game as he was never going to get the chance to go forward. Personally, I felt his big misstep during his time with us was the book. I still don't know why he did it.

Simply put, he was not a failure.
As for what he said pre CL Final, I agree, he should not have said it, but he had some very legitimate reasons and I'll be blunt, I don't think they will ever emerge as I suspect the man has too much class. What I think is very apparent now is that whatever the result, it should've been his last game as he was never going to get the chance to go forward. Personally, I felt his big misstep during his time with us was the book. I still don't know why he did it.

That book was a hand grenade.

There is a strong argument he wasn't, if you look at first day and last.

I think there is an equally strong argument that he was, in context at certain points.

For me his biggest misstep was the way he celebrated in Amsterdam, that was a terrible message to the squad, even more so with his comments in that fortnight.

I think there is an equally strong argument that he was, in context at certain points.

For me his biggest misstep was the way he celebrated in Amsterdam, that was a terrible message to the squad, even more so with his comments in that fortnight.

This...is why we love this game. Opinions.

Yes, a hand grenade for sure.
I can so no context whatsoever where he was not an unqualified success. A failure? Nah.

For me, it was the greatest thing I had seen since '81 replay. That celebration was everything from a man who gave us his last ounce and lived this club. Those last minutes in Amsterdam have got me through several dark days in this pandemic. I loved every ounce of it. The comments? He had his reasons. Getting to the final was a miracle. I will forever regret June 1st, but equally, forever be grateful we had it.

Damn, this subject just doesn’t go away does it:D But surely not even Pochs biggest critic could call him a failure! We are the only side to have consistently broken the traditional top 4, so much so Sky had to rebrand it the ‘big 6’. Ultimately Poch couldn’t get us over the line, whether that be the league, the Champions League or a domestic cup and to that extent you can argue he didn’t maximise his success and it was a travesty of justice Verts,Dembele and Eriksen have left without any medals here. But we had no right to be dining at the top table at that time, so harsh to judge him on the lack of silverware....

Wow
The way he celebrated a last minute winner was brilliant to me
I take it you didn’t see the celebrations at anfield the day before?
Yeah there were odd comments he made afterwards but never knowing the question it’s sometimes hard to gauge the answer

Wow
The way he celebrated a last minute winner was brilliant to me
I take it you didn’t see the celebrations at anfield the day before?
Yeah there were odd comments he made afterwards but never knowing the question it’s sometimes hard to gauge the answer

I don’t think you should celebrate winning a race until you are over the finish line.

I don’t think you should celebrate winning a race until you are over the finish line.

How silly is this, do you expect the team not to be happy for going to a final ... its not like they were celebrating losing the final. The circumstances were exceptional and I enjoyed seeing the team showing so much passion. The game was incredible and you want the players to just shake hands and walk off the pitch ... what planet are you on?

How silly is this, do you expect the team not to be happy for going to a final ... its not like they were celebrating losing the final. The circumstances were exceptional and I enjoyed seeing the team showing so much passion. The game was incredible and you want the players to just shake hands and walk off the pitch ... what planet are you on?

Not the players, and not the manager totally, the right amount of celebration for the circumstances, I thought it was disproportional to the situation and was the first step into the mindset of the missing performance for the final.

Back