• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

Extremely brave of Levy. Both appointments are out of left field, they buy zero good will with fans who really do look like they are starting to revolt for the first time in his tenure.

Not only do they have to work, they have to show results early, otherwise the atmosphere will turn toxic really fast, and it's really hard to turn it around from there. And if that happens, the Levy out stuff would be amplified to Mike Ashley levels.

If we are going for a rebuild. They wont show results early. The fans will have to get used to the fact next season is a transitional one. Not saying it's going to be terrible. But the eye is not on next season to get back into the cl.

I might be wrong but i expect a lot of young players coming in most of us probably wont have heard of. The fans will need to give them support.

If we are going for a rebuild. They wont show results early. The fans will have to get used to the fact next season is a transitional one. Not saying it's going to be terrible. But the eye is not on next season to get back into the cl.

I might be wrong but i expect a lot of young players coming in most of us probably wont have heard of. The fans will need to give them support.

I agree that the fans should give them support, I'm just not sure the majority of the fans now will be in the mental place to do that. I fear that if we start poorly then the "Levy out" will ramp up to Mike Ashley levels

9 league titles as a number 2. He appointed Pirlo as manager and saw then finish where as a number 1?

Sorry moratta left in 2018. Juventus kept paratici. If he was as bad as you think he is why keep him?

Yes he brought in pirlo. If you haven't realised juventus like most of italian football is financially fudged. Pirlo was promoted from the u23's. It's not like he searched the world for him.

I agree that the fans should give them support, I'm just not sure the majority of the fans now will be in the mental place to do that. I fear that if we start poorly then the "Levy out" will ramp up to Mike Ashley levels

As long as it's not aimed at the coach or players that's fine.

As long as the results are comparable to 2014, things should be fine. Specifically clear direction of travel on playing style, squad buy-in, visible improvement of players and youth integration.

You could see all that coming with Poch by late September, certainly early November.

Ah, distinctly underwhelmed. Seems a strange appointment and massively disappointing after the speculation about Poch and Conte.

But, who knows. We've gotten to a place where we have a DoF and the manager seems to his man. Let's see how he goes - the guy has my support if it comes to pass. But, in my view, Levy's neck should be on the line with this appointment. It goes pear shaped quickly and that's the stage where the buck has to stop with him.

Think plan a was get someone in to try to turn it around. Now i think we've gone plan b, total rebuild.

If there is a time for a rebuild nows probably it. Clubs across europe needing to sell. Kane looking to be off. Might not be surprised if lloris, toby, dier followed him as well as the likes of winks and lamela. Replace them with the next generation of up and coming stars. Write next season off but have a long term aim to challenge.

I agree - a bit.

What frustrates me, though, is that we lived through five years of a Pochettino 'project'. We were constantly told that the players 'were learning' when they inevitably fudged up in a semi-final, final or PL run-in.

Here we are 7 tropyhless years later at the dawn of another 'project.' Forgive me if I view it all through rather tired and cynical eyes.

Fonseca & Paratici would suggest to me that we've done what most people have been calling for and appointed a DoF who has in turn got in a manager of his choosing

Although all of the reports I read said that Levy would have the final say on the manangerial appointment. Plus ca change.

my thoughts also!

I agree. I'm happy to give the bloke a chance, in the hope that he can produce attractive and winning football which unites the fan-base. We desperately need something. There is the potential that next season could go full-scale poisonous if things don't get off to a strong start.

I know almost nothing about him, but I wanted a younger hungry manager who has proved themselves in different clubs. Someone who relies on their ability and not their name and a bevvy of star players. In that regard, this guy seems to fit the bill. I think he could grow on fans. But ultimately, results will determine his adulation.

If nothing else this is brave from Levy.

Not really. If it goes wrong he simply sacks the coach and appoints somebody new. The TV and gate money will continue to roll in, and he'll still be able to build the hotel at the stadium.

Is Fonse the Portuguese Potter?

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Or is he the Portugese cousin of Marco Silva?

I know he's not a big name but feels like we've gone for someone continental with the "modern" brand of football when we could have got Potter who is definitely somewhat similar. Maybe if he was Potterinho and talked about transitions more he'd of got the job.

Or is he the Portugese cousin of Marco Silva?

I know he's not a big name but feels like we've gone for someone continental with the "modern" brand of football when we could have got Potter who is definitely somewhat similar. Maybe if he was Potterinho and talked about transitions more he'd of got the job.

In fairness people are put off by Potter because he hasn't managed at a high level - Fonseca has won titles & Cups in Portugal (and Ukraine) and competed in the CL, presumably if that were true for Potter I'd imagine there would be less objection to him.

Personally speaking though if we aren't appointing a top level manager then i want to see Potter

Reactions: DTA
In fairness people are put off by Potter because he hasn't managed at a high level - Fonseca has won titles & Cups in Portugal (and Ukraine) and competed in the CL, presumably if that were true for Potter I'd imagine there would be less objection to him.

Personally speaking though if we aren't appointing a top level manager then i want to see Potter

Fonseca has won cups and titles in two leagues which have little significance, however he has managed in Italy and in the CL which is to his advantage with the caveat of not making any dents in either.

I would prefer Potter at this point if I am honest since he has experience in the league and it seems like he would have done better with better players.

Just deflating being a spurs fan of late.

There would be less objection if Potter had this guys experience.

The fudging arrogance of people on this board is stunning, the guy was the manager of Roma (if you say "who" to that, it isn't him, it's you), his sides won against Ajax and City in Europa (made SF) and CL (made R16), he's won trophies.

Is he a perfect appointment (if it even happens) = no, but he checks a lot of boxes, young, managed in both a top league and played in both European competitions, plays attacking football, has actually won trophies, probably more accustomed to working with a DoF and seeming (most importantly) the DoF's choice.

Is this guy going to work out = who the fudge knows, but that would be the same for any manager.

Really I think Spurs fans have now decided to be fudging unhappy no matter what ..

Sorry moratta left in 2018. Juventus kept paratici. If he was as bad as you think he is why keep him?

Yes he brought in pirlo. If you haven't realised juventus like most of italian football is financially fudged. Pirlo was promoted from the u23's. It's not like he searched the world for him.

It's not that he is as bad as I think... I really have no clue if he is good or bad. But Juve since 2018 is the only time he has been a DOF and since 2018 Juve have been in decline.

Yeah they didn't have to search far for Pirlo... not sure how relevant that is though??? It's his only managerial appointment and it was a massive flop.

There would be less objection if Potter had this guys experience.

The fudging arrogance of people on this board is stunning, the guy was the manager of Roma (if you say "who" to that, it isn't him, it's you), his sides won against Ajax and City in Europa (made SF) and CL (made R16), he's won trophies.

Is he a perfect appointment (if it even happens) = no, but he checks a lot of boxes, young, managed in both a top league and played in both European competitions, plays attacking football, has actually won trophies, probably more accustomed to working with a DoF and seeming (most importantly) the DoF's choice.

Is this guy going to work out = who the fudge knows, but that would be the same for any manager.

Really I think Spurs fans have now decided to be fudging unhappy no matter what ..

To be fair i think Spurs fans, in general, are disillusioned with the decisions of the club and have this wet dream of Pochettino coming back with Lemons in hand and rescuing us from a drift. Thats not happening. So nothing else will do.

I just Boom shaka laka done our homework and already identified key areas in the team to strengthen with players the new manager wants, not just someone who could maybe possibly try to do a job in the team.

It's not that he is as bad as I think... I really have no clue if he is good or bad. But Juve since 2018 is the only time he has been a DOF and since 2018 Juve have been in decline.

Yeah they didn't have to search far for Pirlo... not sure how relevant that is though??? It's his only managerial appointment and it was a massive flop.
Pirlo had GHod-like status there though so as soon as the vacancy came up he was chosen. It would be like us appointing Ledley now (if his personal trophy cabinet was a little more full) and hoping it worked, if his role was like Parker before he went to Fulham.

Looking at his record again, its pretty decent: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/paulo-fonseca/leistungsdatenLigenNational/trainer/19944

In Portugal:

- 12/13 took a minnow team to 3rd. Excellent
- 13/14 had Porto in 3rd when sacked with > 2 points per game. 3rd is probably as low as they should be in their league, so not great but 1st season there
- 14/15 back to minnows and finished 1 point off 6th. Very good again
- 15/16: took Braga to 4th...in a league with Benfica, Sporting Lisbon and Porto so about as far as could realistic be expected

....so all that above bit looks very good then to Ukraine

16/17 to 18/19: cleaned up...obviously with the dominant team

then on to Italy:

19/20: finished 5th in his first season - pretty decent; I cant comment on level of spend in advance of that vs other teams, but 5th is probably par or slightly better with their status in Italy?
20/21: 7th, which is probably marginally sub-par, again with the transfer caveat

In Europe, he obviously made the EL semis with Roma and a couple QFs with Porto and Braga and some last 16s with Shaktar (CL) and Roma (EL)

So I think criticism of his record is probably a little harsh. I think a bigger concern that people could have is lack of familiarity with the PL. Personally I'd have probably gone for Potter rather than him, but as I've said many times, the DoF performance is far more important in my eyes over the next 12-24 months as without a couple decent summer windows, the coach is less relevant

To be fair i think Spurs fans, in general, are disillusioned with the decisions of the club and have this wet dream of Pochettino coming back with Lemons in hand and rescuing us from a drift. Thats not happening. So nothing else will do.

I just Boom shaka laka done our homework and already identified key areas in the team to strengthen with players the new manager wants, not just someone who could maybe possibly try to do a job in the team.

Yep, and Poch at this stage would probably have been a bad decision

Pirlo had GHod-like status there though so as soon as the vacancy came up he was chosen. It would be like us appointing Ledley now (if his personal trophy cabinet was a little more full) and hoping it worked, if his role was like Parker before he went to Fulham.

Yeah his status is huge there and understandably so... still not the right appointment though and that has to be on the DOF, Doesn't it?

Mourinho had won it all multiple times. Can see why Levy went for him. But past performance is no guarantee of future success.

Back