• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

Wow. It sounds as though some of you are effectively saying that Mourinho shouldn't have been sacked until the end of the season...at least, that's how it reads to me.

Are you forgetting the turgid, clueless, feckless performances in the build-up to Mourinho's sacking? Okay, so I can see the argument that an historically trophy-winning manager should have been kept on for the cup final...but were there ANY performances in his last couple of months that suggested that our team could beat City?

Since the start of February (wins in bold):

FEBRUARY
Chelsea (H) L 0-1
West Brom (A) W 2-0
Everton FAC (A) L 5-4
Emirates Marketing Project (A) L 3-0
Wolfsburg (A) W 1-4
Burnley (H) W 4-0
MARCH
Fulham (A) W 0-1
Palace (H) W 4-1
Zagreb (H) W 2-0
Arsenal (A) L 2-1
Zagreb (A) L 3-0
Villa (A) W 0-2
APRIL
Saudi Sportswashing Machine (A) D 2-2
Man Utd (H) L 1-3
Everton (A) D 2-2

My memory's always been pretty rubbish, but I note 4 of those as decent performances (Wolfsburg, Burnley, Palace, Zagreb first leg). That's 4 performances out of 15 rated as decent -- not necessarily brilliant, just good. The other wins (West Brom, Fulham, Villa) weren't exactly glorious. And some of the losses were farcical.

Even in hindsight, I support Levy's decision to sack Mourinho when he did. The new manager (or even no manager) bounce could well have won us a cup. We lost 1-0 to the best side in Europe (CL final notwithstanding), which tells me that, with a bit of luck, we might have got something out of it.

The new manager dance has become farcical, yes, but getting an experienced DoF is what a lot of us wanted. Maybe Levy has finally decided that he does need to step back.

And even if there's still a 10% chance of getting a rejuvenated Poch, I support Levy in trying for that.

Wow. It sounds as though some of you are effectively saying that Mourinho shouldn't have been sacked until the end of the season...at least, that's how it reads to me.

Are you forgetting the turgid, clueless, feckless performances in the build-up to Mourinho's sacking? Okay, so I can see the argument that an historically trophy-winning manager should have been kept on for the cup final...but were there ANY performances in his last couple of months that suggested that our team could beat City?

Since the start of February (wins in bold):

FEBRUARY
Chelsea (H) L 0-1
West Brom (A) W 2-0
Everton FAC (A) L 5-4
Emirates Marketing Project (A) L 3-0
Wolfsburg (A) W 1-4
Burnley (H) W 4-0

MARCH
Fulham (A) W 0-1
Palace (H) W 4-1
Zagreb (H) W 2-0

Arsenal (A) L 2-1
Zagreb (A) L 3-0
Villa (A) W 0-2
APRIL
Saudi Sportswashing Machine (A) D 2-2
Man Utd (H) L 1-3
Everton (A) D 2-2

My memory's always been pretty rubbish, but I note 4 of those as decent performances (Wolfsburg, Burnley, Palace, Zagreb first leg). That's 4 performances out of 15 rated as decent -- not necessarily brilliant, just good. The other wins (West Brom, Fulham, Villa) weren't exactly glorious. And some of the losses were farcical.

Even in hindsight, I support Levy's decision to sack Mourinho when he did. The new manager (or even no manager) bounce could well have won us a cup. We lost 1-0 to the best side in Europe (CL final notwithstanding), which tells me that, with a bit of luck, we might have got something out of it.

The new manager dance has become farcical, yes, but getting an experienced DoF is what a lot of us wanted. Maybe Levy has finally decided that he does need to step back.

And even if there's still a 10% chance of getting a rejuvenated Poch, I support Levy in trying for that.
And quite a few of those people were quite vocal about sacking him

Reactions: DTA
I hope people realise that if it is in fact ETH that only certain type of players fit his system. He is not going to turn Son into a a 1 touch world class passer, a lot of our players in our squad do not fit that mould. He either has to fudge off players who are not technically very good or he is gone within 12 months.

Who in our squad you think is "technically not very good"?

Very strange you call out Son, who is technically very good, both feet, amazing finishing and has 17 assists this season (so has some passing ability and vision) to go with his goal scoring

I hope people realise that if it is in fact ETH that only certain type of players fit his system. He is not going to turn Son into a a 1 touch world class passer, a lot of our players in our squad do not fit that mould. He either has to fudge off players who are not technically very good or he is gone within 12 months.

I think his wide forwards are usually more direct in his system at Ajax, especially as it's more a 4-3-3 than a 4-2-3-1. I think Son and Bergwijn would fit very well under his system. Sissoko and maybe Hojberg are the two I can see struggling with his demands of ballplaying CMs, as well as any defender who'll struggle in a high line (Alderweireld in light of his age). I wonder which out of Winks and Lo Celso he'd fancy for the de Jong role.

I hope people realise that if it is in fact ETH that only certain type of players fit his system. He is not going to turn Son into a a 1 touch world class passer, a lot of our players in our squad do not fit that mould.

Who would do that?

I'm seeing a lot of ten Hag talk today

There's not really any other candidates left now are there? He's definitely the obvious one now, maybe Lopetegui and Gallardo as longer shots. Even Ingazhi and probably Potter are off the table now.

I think his wide forwards are usually more direct in his system at Ajax, especially as it's more a 4-3-3 than a 4-2-3-1. I think Son and Bergwijn would fit very well under his system. Sissoko and maybe Hojberg are the two I can see struggling with his demands of ballplaying CMs, as well as any defender who'll struggle in a high line (Alderweireld in light of his age). I wonder which out of Winks and Lo Celso he'd fancy for the de Jong role.
Hojbjerg can pass?

I trust Levy to choose the best option. Leave the club to it.

Really? Given the last two years, I wouldn't trust him to look after my dog for an hour. When I came back to collect it he would probably have replaced a healthy two year-old Springer Spaniel with a fat old bulldog which is on its last legs.

I'm seeing a lot of ten Hag talk today

Good. Fingers crossed. Our best choice now by some way, for me.

The problem is that Levy is never going to sanction the spending of £70m for a centre back. Hopefully Paratici will improve our scouting so that we can take a player like that at the point Southampton (or even Celtic) got him?

Agreed, another reason why the sacking of Poch and appointment of Jose was a dumpster fire of a decision.

I think the appointment of Paratici is an admission from Levy that he got a major football decision wrong and needs to step away.

I be fair some of our losses under Mason looked like performances under Mourinho. Sometimes we really have to start blaming the players for lack of effort.
True. The Villa game springs to mind. But also, ingrained habits are hard to shake off. If you've spent the last year having "safety first" drummed into you, you're not going to revert to a fluid expansive game overnight. And if it's true that the players haven't been getting enough physical conditioning...well, that's simply inexcusable.

Some players will respond to the new manager and whatever system he has. Others won't. I'd love to see the Dele Alli we all hoped for, for example, along with a confident Reguilon. Some players won't -- I would be entirely unsurprised to see Ndombele becoming surly and lacklustre again. But that's football. Hopefully there'll be more successes than failures. The flip side of "these players have been brick for two managers" (I'm not counting Mason) is "these players were good enough to get to the CL final".

Really? Given the last two years, I wouldn't trust him to look after my dog for an hour. When I came back to collect it he would probably have replaced a healthy two year-old Springer Spaniel with a fat old bulldog which is on its last legs.

Well at least he'd be acting faster than usual!

I be fair some of our losses under Mason looked like performances under Mourinho. Sometimes we really have to start blaming the players for lack of effort.[/QUOTE]

S ome of us have been saying that for the last couple of years. Whoever we eventually end up with has to have a MAJOR clear out of those who have just been going through the motions during that time.

Back