• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

Ramos hadn’t won a league before us, I’m not sure the top 4 at the time would have been in for him. Mourinho was a big thing but there were question marks about whether his best days were behind him. I agree reputation is not everything though.

Conte has just won a title with a club to break a nigh decade long stranglehold and would surely be in the conversation for any job in Europe at the mo. I’m not saying he will definitely work out, but I feel people are being quite flippant about him just because he isn’t Poch. Whatever his detractors say. Plus I love the bloke.

He definitely wasn’t the plan when we sacked Mourinho and it does seem opportunistic, but this is an elite manager at the top of his game. I could get behind either of the other names you mention but there is also an element of risk that they have been exposed to the premier league or had success with more than one club.

My hope with whoever we get is their gravitas forces Levy to review the limits which have been discussed at length in his thread. Levy reacts more to us losing something rather than pushing on for the small margins that may turn top 4 into a title. We don’t want a yes man and I don’t see Conte agreeing to come without some cast iron assurances on how the squad can be refreshed. A manager with a lesser reputation may be more subservient due to the huge payrise and premier league opportunity.
Incidentally, I never believed Poch would come back not yet anyway which is a shame as he has shown he can make the most out of the club's position. Plus I love the guy.

I get the star quality of Conte, I just have reservations about him working with Levy. Also it is absolutely opportunistic, (along with the idea of bringing back Poch), suggesting Levy didn't really have a plan of who to appoint next. That for me is the most worrying thing.

Edit: Sorry if I sound negative. I should be buzzing at the thought of Conte. I guess I am just a tired Spurs fan.

Last edited:
Incidentally, I never believed it Poch would come back not yet anyway which is a shame as he has shown he can make the most out of the club's position.

I get the star quality of Conte, I just have reservations about him working with Levy. Also it is absolutely opportunistic, (along with bringing back Poch), suggesting Levy didn't really have a plan of who to appoint next. That for me is the most worrying thing.

See this never bothered me. I think the time had come where he felt Jose had to go. Rather than rush in to an appointment they waited until the end of the season to assess all options. If we'd appointed say... Potter and Poch/Conte turned out to be available a few weeks later I think a few would have complained about rushing in to an appointment

Odds on betfair, imo a much better barometer than a bookmaker, are incredibly low on Conte becoming manager which I think is fantastic. He's one of the best managers in the world currently and we are lucky to be in a position to appoint him and i hope levy gets the credit for it

I think and hope Poch will come back one day but for me, it was too soon. I also wonder if this clamour to get him back is based on nostalgia and not purely on what he might be able to achieve. If he had been at, say, Everton and achieved there what he did here, would Spurs fans still desperately want him?

Incidentally, I never believed Poch would come back not yet anyway which is a shame as he has shown he can make the most out of the club's position. Plus I love the guy.

I get the star quality of Conte, I just have reservations about him working with Levy. Also it is absolutely opportunistic, (along with the idea of bringing back Poch), suggesting Levy didn't really have a plan of who to appoint next. That for me is the most worrying thing.

Edit: Sorry if I sound negative. I should be buzzing at the thought of Conte. I guess I am just a tired Spurs fan.
I’m not sure that’s necessarily the case. The options Levy were looking at appeared to be Potter and Ten Hag. But then Conte became available, and by far he is the best manager. Potentially Poch was available too so Levy enquired about him, again a much better option than what was being looked at previously. Doesn’t mean there was no plan, just that the goalposts changed and Levy was right to change targets in my opinion.....

Odds on betfair, imo a much better barometer than a bookmaker, are incredibly low on Conte becoming manager which I think is fantastic. He's one of the best managers in the world currently and we are lucky to be in a position to appoint him and i hope levy gets the credit for it

I think and hope Poch will come back one day but for me, it was too soon. I also wonder if this clamour to get him back is based on nostalgia and not purely on what he might be able to achieve. If he had been at, say, Everton and achieved there what he did here, would Spurs fans still desperately want him?
Champions League Finalist? PL league runners up? Top 4 4 years running. Hell yes. Posters were looking at Potter. As good as Conte is, I will say the same thing as I did before we appointed Jose, I hope he betters Poch's achievements but he will have one hell of a job to do so.

Champions League Finalist? PL league runners up? Top 4 4 years running. Hell yes. Posters were looking at Potter. As good as Conte is, I will say the same thing as I did before we appointed Jose, I hope he betters Poch's achievements but he will have one hell of a job to do so.

That’s my point though. People saying they disappointed in conte when he’s a pl and serie a winner but desperate for poch who doesn’t have anything like the honours conte has

That’s my point though. People saying they disappointed in conte when he’s a pl and serie a winner but desperate for poch who doesn’t have anything like the honours conte has
Poch doesn't have anywhere near the honours of Jose Mourinho, (neither has Conte). But we know past history doesn't count for much when you take on the spurs job. Btw this isnt me arguing to bring back Poch :D.

I’m not sure that’s necessarily the case. The options Levy were looking at appeared to be Potter and Ten Hag. But then Conte became available, and by far he is the best manager. Potentially Poch was available too so Levy enquired about him, again a much better option than what was being looked at previously. Doesn’t mean there was no plan, just that the goalposts changed and Levy was right to change targets in my opinion.....
Funny thing is I wanted Tuchel but Levy wasn't as decisive as Chelsea. That is part of my point really. Chelsea always have a plan when they change managers. Whereas Levy kinds of stumbles from manager to manager. Conte, on paper is a fantastic appointment, it's just that I don't think his temperament will work well when Levy delivers his 3rd choice centre back on the last day of the summer transfer window. I'm tired of false dawns. But hey what do I know I thought Jose would deliver the title after the Arsenal game last season.

Agree with you on Conte but to answer your Poch question: Yes. If he got Everton to a CL final and regular top 3 finishes with 0 signings, average £20m net spend per season and 2 years in Wembley with contracts for key players being allowed to run to the final 6 months, then yes. I'd absolutely have taken Poch at Spurs after that.

Agree with you on Conte but to answer your Poch question: Yes. If he got Everton to a CL final and regular top 3 finishes with 0 signings, average £20m net spend per season and 2 years in Wembley with contracts for key players being allowed to run to the final 6 months, then yes. I'd absolutely have taken Poch at Spurs after that.

If someone done that with Everton we'd be hailing them a miracle worker the likes of which we'd never seen before. Blimey, an Everton manager gets them to tenth and he's getting the Real Madrid job!

I think of any manager inherited players like Kane, jan, Walker, rose, Hugo, Moussa, Eriksen they would have a chance TBF
I mean that’s some real world class talent there

You are sooooo wrong.

New fan I suspect. A little quote for you...

“If you don’t win anything, you have had a bad season.” - Bill Nicholson

One of his greatest captains also said "it is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low, so that even our failure will have in it an echo of glory." For me the Poch era was the embodiment of that statement.

See this never bothered me. I think the time had come where he felt Jose had to go. Rather than rush in to an appointment they waited until the end of the season to assess all options. If we'd appointed say... Potter and Poch/Conte turned out to be available a few weeks later I think a few would have complained about rushing in to an appointment
Sensible Spurs fans who know our history of failed managerial appointments would accept a not-so-stellar manager if he seemed part of a plan. Thing about football is there is always something to complain about.:D

None of them.werr so when the manager arrived. Not one.
What manager?
Or are you saying none were world class?
I agree they weren’t but they were also young and developing players
You inherit that level of talent you should be able to do something with it. Poch did

Back