• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

Every time we've gone down the "proven winner" route we've failed

Ramos > AVB > Mourinho

Yet every time we've appointed a nobody we've progressed

Jol > Redknapp > Poch

I get what you’re saying but what did we ever win with appointing the three nobodies you mentioned ?

But I do concede that under all of them the football was a lot better than it is now

I get what you’re saying but what did we ever win with appointing the three nobodies you mentioned ?

But I do concede that under all of them the football was a lot better than it is now

What people need to realise is that from the clubs perspective that whilst the stadium was being planned/built top 4 and CL football trump domestic trophies - Jol taking us to best of the rest, Redknapp taking us to the CL, Poch establishing us in the CL all done more for the clubs stature and progress towards our ultimate goal of being a genuine top level club than a million League or FA Cups would have done.

We bought in proven winners and all they've done is take us backwards

What people need to realise is that from the clubs perspective that whilst the stadium was being planned/built top 4 and CL football trump domestic trophies - Jol taking us to best of the rest, Redknapp taking us to the CL, Poch establishing us in the CL all done more for the clubs stature and progress towards our ultimate goal of being a genuine top level club than a million League or FA Cups would have done.

Yep bingo

I think top 4/CL always trumps domestic trophies.

Success for us is winning the league/European Cup.

I wouldn't say AVB or Mourinho have taken us backwards, Jose has us pretty much exactly where we were when he took over, you could argue that he has integrated some new players into the squad more successfully than we managed in the year before he arrived.

AVB pushed us forward a fair bit imo.

Last edited:
Thoughts on promoting João Sacramento to head coach and bringing in Luís Campos as the DOF ?

If you look at who João has worked under Galtier, Bielsa, Claudio Ranieri and Leonardo Jardim, that's not a bad education.

Thoughts on promoting João Sacramento to head coach and bringing in Luís Campos as the DOF ?

If you look at who João has worked under Galtier, Bielsa, Claudio Ranieri and Leonardo Jardim, that's not a bad education.

I’ve not put any real research into this so it might be wrong, but coaching trees in football don’t reliably lead to success imo.

Agree but pretty low bar! Its difficult to think when the football has been worse than it is now. Even with George Graham you could see an attacking plan. We might not have liked it, but at least there was a plan.

With Jose, there isn't a plan. And its not just us thats saying that - Rio Ferdinand was going on about it on the BT coverage last night. Its not clear what we're trying to do...and then you hear comments that we don't train any attacking shapes, and it all links together!!

I think top 4/CL always trumps domestic trophies.

Success for us is winning the league/European Cup.

I wouldn't say AVB or Mourinho have taken us backwards, Jose has us pretty much exactly where we were when he took over, you could argue that he has integrated some new players into the squad more successfully than we managed in the year before he arrived.

AVB pushed us forward a fair bit imo.

We were 4th the season before JM took over then went 6th (mitigating circumstances) and will likely finish much lower if he sees out the season.

AVB took over a 4th placed team then finished 5th

Literal defintion of going backwards

We were 4th the season before JM took over then went 6th (mitigating circumstances) and will likely finish much lower if he sees out the season.

...and thats before you factor in intangible smell factors - image of the club under them, quality of the football, etc etc

There has to be a good chance that we won't finish in the top half is Jose stays

...and thats before you factor in intangible smell factors - image of the club under them, quality of the football, etc etc

There has to be a good chance that we won't finish in the top half is Jose stays

Or its all part of Jose's master plan, drill them defensively for the first half of the season then work on attacking and...err...brick..we are fudged

The same as with anyone else - two trophies in 30 years isn't a lot.
But we did look like developing under all of them.

That said, Mourinho has us in a final.

Maybe keep mourinho until the summer and then transition to Sacramento?
I wonder if Mourinhos ego would allow him to be a DoF? Probably not.

One of the big criticisms of the Redknapp era was that our teams were too reliant on star players and there wasn’t much emphasis on tactics. Redknapp isn’t a great tactician but he’s better than people give him credit for. But we became even more reliant on stars (Bale) under AVB than we ever were under Poch, Redknapp, Jol or anyone else you care to name. One more note on Poch, I’ve given my opinion on his in-game management in big games but one thing I absolutely wouldn’t ever question is that he developed a style of play that didn’t rely on stars. To the point where we could function and actually beat top teams without Kane for periods of up to months at a time. That part of Poch’s philosophy is first class.

I genuinely think AVB and Jose could relegate Barca and Real with their current squads and that wouldn’t alter Baleforce’s opinion of them in any way. He’d still be spouting the same nonsense that they are the best two coaches in the game :D

No mention for Benitez till end of the season, personally I'd give Jose till the end of the season.

All this talk of finishing in the bottom half, everyone's overlooking that we are the first team to play Liverpool, Chelsea and (soon) City twice.
Once we've played City I think we only have 2 of the top 6 to play again for the rest of the season.

I find it a bit embarrassing we lose 3 matches and this is the result.

imo our problem is mainly that we have no midfield depth and our defence make stupid individual mistakes.

Getting someone new in won't change that, anyone new will still be brick in their own way, at least Mourinho has witnessed success with his own eyes before.

Yes, true but it's bloody hard to believe. Last night in the first half I couldn't tell if he'd ever see the game of football before.
We are no better against the non top 6 clubs.
One of the big criticisms of the Redknapp era was that our teams were too reliant on star players and there wasn’t much emphasis on tactics. Redknapp isn’t a great tactician but he’s better than people give him credit for. But we became even more reliant on stars (Bale) under AVB than we ever were under Poch, Redknapp, Jol or anyone else you care to name. One more note on Poch, I’ve given my opinion on his in-game management in big games but one thing I absolutely wouldn’t ever question is that he developed a style of play that didn’t rely on stars. To the point where we could function and actually beat top teams without Kane for periods of up to months at a time. That part of Poch’s philosophy is first class.

I genuinely think AVB and Jose could relegate Barca and Real with their current squads and that wouldn’t alter Baleforce’s opinion of them in any way. He’d still be spouting the same nonsense that they are the best two coaches in the game :D
Harry didn't necessarily need superstars but he did need a good striker which he never had. Imagine Kane in that side. The amount of chances we created per match was ridiculous.

Redknapp's side lacked one thing and one thing only. A reliable goal scorer. He never had one. At the start he had Bent, Pav (who he clearly didn't rate) and brought back Keane and Defoe. Keane was a trainwreck and absolutely finished from his Liverpool stint and Defoe had that one great half season and then regressed back to the 11 league goals a season striker that he was always was.

We eventually brought in Ade who had a great first season scoring 17 in the league but he wasn't a number 9, he was a classic support striker who could score a but if he had finished his fair share he should have gotten at least 25 in the league.

The less said about Crouch the better but he was the definition of brick. Totals of 4 and 8 league goals despite starting every game in the ridiculously creative side we had at the time is shameful. Even thinking his name causes some bile to rise in my throat and rage to think of how useless he was.

Harry had the most talented Tottenham side I've ever seen and I do think he should have achieved more with what we had but that elusive quality striker was the missing link.

Back