• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

Brentford’s Frank is not good enough.
Not for us now but was an example of someone we could have gone for previously but would now wait and see how their next move works out. We may do the same with Potter.

Having said that, my favourite times watching Spurs recently have been under good managers who have stepped up with lower expectations: Jol following the Santini debacle; Redknapp (who I didn't want at first) following the Ramos debacle (theme here) and obviously Poch following AVB and Sherwood. The worst are when we've tried the big name appointments: Graham, Santini, Ramos and Mou.

I think that he's an excellent coach. Maybe not high enough profile but that is different.
He is OK at best. My family are Brentford mad and I have to watch them. They are all over the place of late. Potter is a better organiser IMO.

You won't get an argument from me, here! But from Rodger's point of view, they're probably closer to winning something again than we are (sadly).

I think had us and Leicester swapped managers the last couple of seasons our positions in the table would likely be reversed (and then some) so whilst it's true they are closer to success in this moment, that can change quickly if you take the right steps and i don't for one second think that a neutral would think in the medium-long term Leicester has a higher ceiling than we do.

Last edited:
Rodgers comments from 2013 don't bode well. Basically we've had "11 managers in 18 years or something, so clearly a lot of change".

So since 2013 we've had what, 4 or 5 more managers?!

This ‘we have a higher ceiling than Leicester’ thing is nonsense. They have a better balanced squad than us, they consistently buy well,sure they might not be able to emulate winning the PL again but at least they won it and we aren’t going to be challenging for the title and are very much competing for a top 4 place, just like Leicester. Literally the only thing we have over them is a shiny new stadium that has put us in massive debt and is going to restrict our spending for a good period yet. Sure maybe in ten years or something we might be generating a lot more revenue because of it, but any potential manager isn’t going to be thinking about that far ahead as manager don’t tend to last for longer than 3-5 years anymore. We are at best a challenging for top 4 club - This forum tends to have a higher opinion of our players and club in general than what I’ve seen anywhere else....

Rodgers comments from 2013 don't bode well. Basically we've had "11 managers in 18 years or something, so clearly a lot of change".

So since 2013 we've had what, 4 or 5 more managers?!
Worse still, three of those managers have been sacked after consistently over achieving..... When the club sacks managers for doing better than the resources given to them it is no surprise that ambitious managers held in high regard would be hesitant to join us.

I think if any of us put ourselves into Rodgers shoes right now then we would turn down Spurs. High (unrealistic?) expectations, several players required, big debts and (likely) a lowish transfer budget.

Worse still, three of those managers have been sacked after consistently over achieving..... When the club sacks managers for doing better than the resources given to them it is no surprise that ambitious managers held in high regard would be hesitant to join us.

I think if any of us put ourselves into Rodgers shoes right now then we would turn down Spurs. High (unrealistic?) expectations, several players required, big debts and (likely) a lowish transfer budget.

Not only that, i don't think many admirers exist for Levy at Rodgers level. Ten Hag will come from abroad so maybe would be keen for London switch, and Potter would take the step up, but Rodgers is a proven PL manager. Would he really switch from Leicester, where he's held in high regard and transfers are with his input, to Spurs where if Levy takes a shine to Bale, he'll bring him in regardless (i've said thousand times Bale wasn't a Jose signign, a Levy one, and he should stay out of football matters like that).

We're a mess, people think we're some massive club on the verge of success need to wake up. We've regressed more than any of the Big 6 clubs, potentially except Arsenal, but they're in a Wafer Cup SF still and won an FA Cup under Arteta.

I think had us and Leicester swapped managers the last couple of seasons our positions in the table would likely be reversed (and then some) so whilst it's true they are closer to success in this moment, that can change quickly if you take the right steps and i don't for one second think that a neutral would think in the medium-long term Leicester has a higher ceiling than we do.

Ok, let me use that same logic then and ask: do you think neutral would say Arsenal have a 'higher ceiling' than us and thus should be more attractive than us to both coaches and players?

This ‘we have a higher ceiling than Leicester’ thing is nonsense. They have a better balanced squad than us, they consistently buy well,sure they might not be able to emulate winning the PL again but at least they won it and we aren’t going to be challenging for the title and are very much competing for a top 4 place, just like Leicester. non-figuratively the only thing we have over them is a shiny new stadium that has put us in massive debt and is going to restrict our spending for a good period yet. Sure maybe in ten years or something we might be generating a lot more revenue because of it, but any potential manager isn’t going to be thinking about that far ahead as manager don’t tend to last for longer than 3-5 years anymore. We are at best a challenging for top 4 club - This forum tends to have a higher opinion of our players and club in general than what I’ve seen anywhere else....

Thank you

Ok, let me use that same logic then and ask: do you think neutral would say Arsenal have a 'higher ceiling' than us and thus should be more attractive than us to both coaches and players?

We're more or less on a level with them now we're in the stadium and our revenues are in the same ballpark (i think we may have even over taken them)

We're more or less on a level with them now we're in the stadium and our revenues are in the same ballpark (i think we may have even over taken them)
So we're level on revenue. How do our debts compare? (as that is likely to influence what is allowed to be spent on transfers).

Also how does our wage bill compare? (as that generally gives an indication of the quality of player that a manager is allowed to sign)

Perhaps in terms of revenues (though that isn't always clear with how we actually operate and who we buy in the market), but again they win trophies, we give off a vibe that we either don't care about them ("Trophies are for egos", i'm sure Poch was speaking on behalf of the board there) or we are incapable...

Notice that we've lost finals/semi-finals to the 'big boys', yet Arsenal have often beaten those same teams in winning their recent trophies...so again, if we are going to claim we have a 'higher ceiling' than Leicester, Arsenal can claim the same over us...

So we're level on revenue. How do our debts compare? (as that is likely to influence what is allowed to be spent on transfers).

Also how does our wage bill compare? (as that generally gives an indication of the quality of player that a manager is allowed to sign)

The size of debts don't matter, the amount of repayments do. All of our stadium debt is long term and the repayments are significantly less that the increased revenue from the stadium. Once we get a sponsor in, that will cover the vast majority of the repayments. Financially, we are in a very strong place once fans return to games.

Back