• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New takeover rumours

In the 50's we had the biggest attendances in the league. So we were the richest club an could pay the biggest money. Is it unfair that Man Utd are the biggest club? Does that mean they have a right to win every season? Does it take away their achievement?

Success draws on new fans.

Which grows revenue.

That's why Emirates Marketing Project say 'we are investing in the future to grow our revenue base'

I don't agree but as devils advocate?

It would be silly of the club to reveal if there's new money coming in until after we've finished in the transfer market.

spot on

the selling clubs would add an extra 10 mill to any deal and the players and agents would want a bigger sum too, so yes whatever financial investment is being lined up can wait a little while longer before its announced

More teletext rumours on this:

Transferfootball ‏@TransfersCentre
BREAKING: Have been told that Tottenham Hotspur Football Club has been sold. Don't know when official announced or by who yet! ‪#THFC

Everyone asking for more details! I'll let you know when I do but I have been informed it's 100% done. When spurs choose to reveal, I dunno

hope not. lets do it the right way instead of cheating. we lambast city for their spending so i hope we dont do the same.

hope not. lets do it the right way instead of cheating. we lambast city for their spending so i hope we dont do the same.

Speak for yourself, fella. I don't.

Sure, I would much prefer that City (and Chelsea, for that matter) had never won the lottery.

And, sure, I'd love Spurs to become a club that regularly wins the Premier League title and the Champions League without spending any unearned money.

But if, every time we get close to becoming a regular CL team, another club wins the lottery, outspends us by hundreds of millions and consequently overtakes us, then I'm very much of the opinion: if you can't beat 'em join 'em.

Let's not forget the real purpose of FFP. It had nothing to do with helping well run clubs like Spurs that reside, frustratingly, just outside the CL elite. It was introduced to preserve the status of the established CL clubs. The CL was their private gravy train. And they didn't want anyone else getting on. They just happened to be the ones in possession when the CL first started. And with the benefit of huge revenues from the CL, they were able virtually to corner the market in players, money, trophies and CL qualification - which helped to earn them more money, more trophies, more top players and more CL qualification. And so on ad infinitum.

All of that was threatened by the sudden emergence of clubs like Emirates Marketing Project, PSG and Malaga. So, all of a sudden, FFP became a priority. It was imperative that no other club should be allowed to have ideas above its station. Inequality was only okay, after all, if it favoured the established CL elite.

Whatever happens now, Spurs will not be able to do a Emirates Marketing Project or a Chelsea. We will not be able to spend many hundreds of millions on transfer fees with money that isn't ours. We will never be able to have a wage bill that dwarfs our turnover.

But, should we become the beneficiaries of a new owner's wealth, we could get a new stadium for free. And we could clear our modest debt of £56 million - because it has been accrued only as a consequence of building the new training ground and buying and preparing property for the NDP.

And that would leave us with far greater revenue and no debt or interest to pay.

I could live with that with a completely clear conscience.

Speak for yourself, fella. I don't.

Sure, I would much prefer that City (and Chelsea, for that matter) had never won the lottery.

And, sure, I'd love Spurs to become a club that regularly wins the Premier League title and the Champions League without spending any unearned money.

But if, every time we get close to becoming a regular CL team, another club wins the lottery, outspends us by hundreds of millions and consequently overtakes us, then I'm very much of the opinion: if you can't beat 'em join 'em.

Let's not forget the real purpose of FFP. It had nothing to do with helping well run clubs like Spurs that reside, frustratingly, just outside the CL elite. It was introduced to preserve the status of the established CL clubs. The CL was their private gravy train. And they didn't want anyone else getting on. They just happened to be the ones in possession when the CL first started. And with the benefit of huge revenues from the CL, they were able virtually to corner the market in players, money, trophies and CL qualification - which helped to earn them more money, more trophies, more top players and more CL qualification. And so on ad infinitum.

All of that was threatened by the sudden emergence of clubs like Emirates Marketing Project, PSG and Malaga. So, all of a sudden, FFP became a priority. It was imperative that no other club should be allowed to have ideas above its station. Inequality was only okay, after all, if it favoured the established CL elite.

Whatever happens now, Spurs will not be able to do a Emirates Marketing Project or a Chelsea. We will not be able to spend many hundreds of millions on transfer fees with money that isn't ours. We will never be able to have a wage bill that dwarfs our turnover.

But, should we become the beneficiaries of a new owner's wealth, we could get a new stadium for free. And we could clear our modest debt of £56 million - because it has been accrued only as a consequence of building the new training ground and buying and preparing property for the NDP.

And that would leave us with far greater revenue and no debt or interest to pay.

I could live with that with a completely clear conscience.

Not saying I disagree, because I don't actually have any reason or argument to myself, but I'm just wondering why Uefa would want to preserve the status quo of the biggest clubs?

Do they get more money themselves from having the same clubs with a stranglehold on CL places every year? It seems like they want to get more clubs from smaller countries into the CL, so they seem to want to help out there? Or maybe they do that, knowing that if they do all they can to preserve the status quo of the big teams that their gravy train keeps on running?

Just feels like it would be fudging boring and fans of other clubs would seriously lose interest if for example United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea were still 'flying the flag' for the Premier League each year.

Not saying I disagree, because I don't actually have any reason or argument to myself, but I'm just wondering why Uefa would want to preserve the status quo of the biggest clubs?

Do they get more money themselves from having the same clubs with a stranglehold on CL places every year? It seems like they want to get more clubs from smaller countries into the CL, so they seem to want to help out there? Or maybe they do that, knowing that if they do all they can to preserve the status quo of the big teams that their gravy train keeps on running?

Just feels like it would be fudging boring and fans of other clubs would seriously lose interest if for example United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea were still 'flying the flag' for the Premier League each year.

What's crucial in all of this is that FFP would never have been adopted had it not had the full support of those clubs that are already dining at the top table.

The Champions League itself is a competition that was created by UEFA in a desperate attempt to stop the G14 clubs from setting up their own, breakaway competition. UEFA effectively caved in to most of their demands.

So I think there can be little doubt that, despite some good intentions, the primary reason why we now have FFP is because UEFA are still doing the elite clubs' bidding.

What's crucial in all of this is that FFP would never have been adopted had it not had the full support of those clubs that are already dining at the top table.

The Champions League itself is a competition that was created by UEFA in a desperate attempt to stop the G14 clubs from setting up their own, breakaway competition. UEFA effectively caved in to most of their demands.

So I think there can be little doubt that, despite some good intentions, the primary reason why we now have FFP is because UEFA are still doing the elite clubs' bidding.

So it's essentially yet another gesture to ensure the G14 are happy and don't form their own breakaway league...? Makes sense I guess.

And this may be a stupid question, but if they chose to do that, would it be completely different from Uefa, so they wouldn't be tied to them at all? They'd be under a completely different football association Euro-wise?

Would be interesting if Uefa just decided to call these clubs bluff. Would fans really accept the end of games against mostly English teams? Would they want to be excluded from the drama of an English league season? The hammering of the mediocre teams, the glee they feel when a rival at the top of the league loses to a newly promoted club...if they threatened to break away there would be big games each week (although surely a shorter season), but it would be a very different culture. Not sure it would be the hit they seem to threaten it would be.

Brain of Levy, the reason UEFA protects the G14 is not (imo) the threat of a breakaway league, it's brand marketing.

Football money is going to be increasingly from TV rights to countries that don't have a history of following English/Italian/Spanish football, they are the ones you see all over the world wearing a Barca/Manure/Pool kit but couldn't name 5 players in the starting lineup of their "favorite" club.

In the US if you see an ad for EPL games, merchandise, etc. it's always around Manure/Cheat$ki/Scum or Barca/Real, lots of money has been spent promoting those brands globally and both UEFA/TV and of course those clubs themselves are going to do everything possible to protect that investment.

More teletext rumours on this:

BREAKING: Have been told that Tottenham Hotspur Football Club has been sold. Don't know when official announced or by who yet! ‪#THFC

Everyone asking for more details! I'll let you know when I do but I have been informed it's 100% done. When spurs choose to reveal, I dunno

Brilliant, even if it takes 20 years he'll still be able to claim he knew.

I'm not convinced that this isn't a sponsorship deal blown out of proportion, since we get these rumors every summer.

What does make it interesting, however, is the confluence of several other factors:
- Lewis's increased involvement (never knew he took an interest in us) perhaps even in Harry's sacking
- rumors of Levy planning a break for personal reasons
- Qatar getting rebuffed by Man United, which suggests they are in for a PL club; not to mention their connections to London
- our loosening of wage structure this summer (40k for a 22yo, 20k for a teenager, 90k for Bale, 120 for Ade?) ... of course, it could just be the necessities of the market thanks to City/Chelsea raising the average wage so much, but I would be surprised if Levy gave in. Unless he's suddenly gone all "fudge it - we'll do it live!"

I don't think it's a full takeover, but ENIC could consider selling off in chunks, with the first business relationship established over sponsorship this year. FWIW, I'm fine with having rich oligarchs fund our stadium and sponsorships, and investing in our physical infrastructure, youth infrastructure, management personnel, etc.... I just don't want to see us becoming like City and Chelsea, poaching our competitors' best players and giving crazy unsustainable wages. That takes anti-competition to a whole new level, which destroys the whole system - the league and the appeal of the sport itself - in the long run.

We should operate with some sense of discipline; we should think in terms of systems and recognize that our actions have repercussions not only on others but our future selves; we should invest to grow both the pie and our share in it rather than cannibalize the rest of a diminishing one (and by that I don't mean that the PL and football are decreasing in terms of global revenue atm, but that it is in a bubble whose fundamentals are unsound....if middle-class fans are turning away from football due to lack of affordability and lack of competitiveness, if the sport's popularity is getting diffused among thousands of other diversions, if clubs are now dependent on rich individuals who love to waste money rather than fans to survive....then the pie is made of speculative hopes and fantasies). An investment in youth development, scouts, capital etc is also a subsidy that makes the economist in me wince, but at least it is not an expenditure that will collapse once certain individuals get bored of losing money - and presumably it could create self-sustaining revenue streams for the future.

We shouldn't get any real info on investment until the window closes, I think. But if we do a lot of business this window then that should clearly point to some sort of financial injection, or Levy/Lewis going insane, because our own coffers aren't suddenly going to give us 40m plus increased wages on top of Modric's sale.

If we're suddenly so loaded...why would the club even entertain the thought of selling Luka Modric?

Think about it: if we're got bucks to spend on bringing top class players in, and bucks to secure current first-team stars, why the fudge would there be talk of letting Modric go? Do you not think he'd rather stick around and see what money we ejaculate on players and/or what kinda wedge we'd offer him?

I think a lot of people are simply setting themselves up for disappointment here.

Ok..... The text I just had. It's more than an investment. Jaw dropping of this is true. Tonight the pendulum just swung our way. -- akqayid (@akqayid)

Where is that thread where people said they would stop supporting tottenham if this thing happens

if this happens i want to see how many can stick by that LOL

Back