• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New takeover rumours

Size of club etc always brings up debates that go round in circles. But if we are honest Villa and Spurs are similar size clubs, in that bracket just outside the real top ones of Liverpool, Man U and Arsenal. We are definitely ahead right now in terms of our infrastructure but if Villa secure CL they could most definitely be a threat and at the end of the day for all our 'flirting' we have achieved the square root of naff all in recent years.

If Villa win the Conference League and secure CL football in tandem with that which they have a good chance of doing, then they have already achieved more than we have for some years no matter how much some on here will try to put the Conference League down.....

If we are 'honest' there are clear distinctions. How many times were Villa in Europe over the last decade vs THFC? Do Villa have a state of the art stadium? We are in a different league on both counts. Sure Villa could go on to do anything in the future. But that is all to be writted. In theory we could win the league in a hypothetical future. When Enic took over Villa and Spurs were absolutely comparable. What happened next is a fascinating case study as to why @DubaiSpur daydream is just that - a dreamy fixation. Randy Learner spent a staggering $100,000 a day on Villa. He did exactly what DubaSpurs has wet dreams about. Levy invested in Spurs, gave the coaches and teams a state of the art training facility and developed a revenue generating stadium. Villa crashed and burned whereas we enjoyed many seasons in the CL. The notion that we have done naff all is a load of gonad*s. I don't measure my own personal successes by awards. Do you? Millennials especially are all into experiences are they not? I think Spurs fans have been on a rollorcoaster of ups and downs in the Enic era, and mostly in and around Europe. Something Villa haven't enjoyed over the same period. Yet you think we're the same. Fair enough. I don't subscribe to that myself.

I would suggest that competing in European football in something like 12 of the last 15 years is better then a club who have been relegated and then flirted with relegation.

Get how some want to win stuff,but don't allow the press, brick pundits and macaron opposition fans try and fool you into thinking clubs like villa have been comparable to us over recent seasons, they have not.
no top club should have been relegated in the last 10 years

I thought conference league winning it got you Europa.

I agree it would be good to win things but I'm looking at league placings. Not being relegated and regularly competing in European football.
It does mean that, but I'm talking about them getting top 4/5 in the league getting CL plus a European trophy....

If we are 'honest' there are clear distinctions. How many times were Villa in Europe over the last decade vs THFC? Do Villa have a state of the art stadium? We are in a different league on both counts. Sure Villa could go on to do anything in the future. But that is all to be writted. In theory we could win the league in a hypothetical future. When Enic took over Villa and Spurs were absolutely comparable. What happened next is a fascinating case study as to why @DubaiSpur daydream is just that - a dreamy fixation. Randy Learner spent a staggering $100,000 a day on Villa. He did exactly what DubaSpurs has wet dreams about. Levy invested in Spurs, gave the coaches and teams a state of the art training facility and developed a revenue generating stadium. Villa crashed and burned whereas we enjoyed many seasons in the CL. The notion that we have done naff all is a load of gonad*s. I don't measure my own personal successes by awards. Do you? Millennials especially are all into experiences are they not? I think Spurs fans have been on a rollorcoaster of ups and downs in the Enic era, and mostly in and around Europe. Something Villa haven't enjoyed over the same period. Yet you think we're the same. Fair enough. I don't subscribe to that myself.
I think in most walks of life you judge yourself on performing at the highest level
expect on football when it suits you talk about what you did when you were 15

What do you think I meant when I said we are ahead of them in terms of infrastructure?:D

And we are talking about top level sports teams, and apparently we are a big club - yes we have achieved naff all. The 'putting the pressure on' cup, nicest stadium in Europe, some lovely experiences jn the Champions League are great - and I'm a big Levy fan. But that is not what big clubs are about, it's about winning things. These are the nice fluffy things we tell ourselves are what really matter because we are so allergic to winning trophies these days. You and I aren't top level sportsman, and to them trophies do matter.

Like it or not Villa and Spurs are comparable and it would only take Villa being in the CL for a couple of years and us not and they could overtake us. There really isn't much in it.....

You and I aren't top level sportsman, and to them trophies do matter.
Speak for yourself!!! 🤣

What do you think I meant when I said we are ahead of them in terms of infrastructure?:D

And we are talking about top level sports teams, and apparently we are a big club - yes we have achieved naff all. The 'putting the pressure on' cup, nicest stadium in Europe, some lovely experiences jn the Champions League are great - and I'm a big Levy fan. But that is not what big clubs are about, it's about winning things. These are the nice fluffy things we tell ourselves are what really matter because we are so allergic to winning trophies these days.

I do think there is a fixation with trophies, when we are better than 90% of clubs in English football. In an era of doped sides, only 'pool have managed to crash the hegemony of the oil-based trophy hoovers.

While we still hunt for a trophy it isn't a fixation for me. When we do win one it also won't change my life. And I wouldn't swap a pot for the ongoing thrills and spills, which is what keeps fans actually coming back for more.

harr1984: Like it or not Villa and Spurs are comparable and it would only take Villa being in the CL for a couple of years and us not and they could overtake us. There really isn't much in it.....

I need to learn how to do the HTML tags or whatever on this new fangled site. As well as the afore mentioned differences - a fuk off stadium the envy of british football, and consistently higher finishes than villa and European competition over the past decade - there is another differences in reality.

If Villas Egyptian Billionaire blats into the earth from his helicopter, would Villa collapse again as Leicester have? Now, would Spurs be in financial ruin too without Enic? You'd agree Spurs are built on sterner foundations?

Anyone *could* over take us. We could overtake anyone. We are not relient on said billionaire however. So that leaves us with a longer term sustainable challange for the top honours.

Last edited:
League titles wins goes to them 7 Vs 2. They've won the CL we haven't. We have 8 FA Cups to their 7. Giving the successes of the clubs I think it quite comparable. There is obviously the recency element, we've been better in the last 15 or so years but without actually winning anything so a bit like how the first 15 years of the PL favoured them. Neither period has actually resulted in any solid tangible success. Both teams have even seriously challe fed for the PL once and finished 2nd.

Both clubs strike me as fairly similar, sleeping giants essentially.
Oh right yeah. Forgot all that, Preston are a massive club as well.

Its not even comparable is it.

And we are talking about top level sports teams, and apparently we are a big club - yes we have achieved naff all. The 'putting the pressure on' cup, nicest stadium in Europe, some lovely experiences jn the Champions League are great - and I'm a big Levy fan. But that is not what big clubs are about, it's about winning things. These are the nice fluffy things we tell ourselves are what really matter because we are so allergic to winning trophies these days. You and I aren't top level sportsman, and to them trophies do matter.

Like it or not Villa and Spurs are comparable and it would only take Villa being in the CL for a couple of years and us not and they could overtake us. There really isn't much in it.....
I’m in Finland today
I’ve just asked the 2 Dane’s I’m with and the 2 Finnish people to name the biggest teams in England… they had Everton, Brighton, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, West Ham and Brentford ahead of villa..l when pushed they mentioned Villa because they are having a good season
they aren’t spurs fans or even big sports fans saying this.

I’m in Finland today
I’ve just asked the 2 Dane’s I’m with and the 2 Finnish people to name the biggest teams in England… they had Everton, Brighton, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, West Ham and Brentford ahead of villa..l when pushed they mentioned Villa because they are having a good season
Meh, recency Premier League presentation bias. Saudi Sportswashing Machine aren't even historically a big side, they were just quite good and challenged (for a short period) during the early years of the PL which has created this never ending pocket for them to be considered a big side which they really aren't.

I would put Spurs, Villa and Everton in the same tier.

When one of them has a sustained period of actual success, then they will move on to the next tier.

There is so much about this post I agree with. When we start winning things, the narrative from Spurs fans will completely change. Alas until that day it is what it is.

Size of club etc always brings up debates that go round in circles. But if we are honest Villa and Spurs are similar size clubs, in that bracket just outside the real top ones of Liverpool, Man U and Arsenal. We are definitely ahead right now in terms of our infrastructure but if Villa secure CL they could most definitely be a threat and at the end of the day for all our 'flirting' we have achieved the square root of naff all in recent years.

If Villa win the Conference League and secure CL football in tandem with that which they have a good chance of doing, then they have already achieved more than we have for some years no matter how much some on here will try to put the Conference League down.....
You must think West Ham are massive.

I’m in Finland today

I don’t doubt there are people on the continent who don’t consider Villa a big club and would say we are. But anecdotal instances like this aren’t really a truly reflection of how big a club is. It’s all subjective but on the whole I agree with Harr and Bishop, Spurs are a similar level to Villa and Everton historically. We’ve largely been better than both since Martin Jol. Villa have more league titles, a European cup and more trophies in total. We’re obviously helped by the fact we are a London club, it attracts better quality of player than we would be able to lure if we were located in Birmingham or Bristol. We get media attention because of our location as well, not solely, but it helps. Let’s say the clubs were reversed and Villa played in London and we were in Birmingham, you could make a case that they would get more attention than we do.

I’m biased so I’d say we are marginally bigger but we don’t have a lot of actual tangible success (beyond one league cup) in the last 15 years to point to which proves we’re miles bigger and more successful than Villa.

Speak for yourself!!! 🤣

I do think there is a fixation with trophies, when we are better than 90% of clubs in English football. In an era of doped sides, only 'pool have managed to crash the hegemony of the oil-based trophy hoovers.

While we still hunt for a trophy it isn't a fixation for me. When we do win one it also won't change my life. And I wouldn't swap a pot for the ongoing thrills and spills, which is what keeps fans actually coming back for more.

harr1984: Like it or not Villa and Spurs are comparable and it would only take Villa being in the CL for a couple of years and us not and they could overtake us. There really isn't much in it.....

I need to learn how to do the HTML tags or whatever on this new fangled site. As well as the afore mentioned differences - a fuk off stadium the envy of british football, and consistently higher finishes than villa and European competition over the past decade - there is another differences in reality.

If Villas Egyptian Billionaire blats into the earth from his helicopter, would Villa collapse again as Leicester have? Now, would Spurs be in financial ruin too without Enic? You'd agree Spurs are built on sterner foundations?

Anyone *could* over take us. We could overtake anyone. We are not relient on said billionaire however. So that leaves us with a longer term sustainable challange for the top honours.

Trophies are the true currency of success. Players want trophies, hence why Harry Kane left the country to join Bayern in the pursuit of silverware, clearly golden boots and all time top scorer of Spurs and England weren’t enough for him. We’re touchy about the subject of trophies because we haven’t been very good at winning them recently. Its as simple as that.

Not impossible, but massively unlikely imo.

I could see how a Emirates Marketing Project fan would think that given they’ve won everything since 2011. But to say “they would almost certainly be a disaster” is hyperbole to say the least. We’ve been relatively successful in terms of league finishes and off field sponsorship, tie ins with NFL, state of the art new stadium and training ground but we barely have any tangible success I.e. trophies to underpin our period of consistent top 6 finishes since 2006.

Trophies are the true currency of success. Players want trophies, hence why Harry Kane left the country to join Bayern in the pursuit of silverware, clearly golden boots and all time top scorer of Spurs and England weren’t enough for him. We’re touchy about the subject of trophies because we haven’t been very good at winning them recently. Its as simple as that.
Fully agree
Teams are judged on them
Big you don’t go back 40 odds years and argue their relevance
I mean there are 2 generations of people in there who just wouldn’t consider it

That’s not to say that they don’t have history or a fan base… but then so do many many clubs. The mud that gets slung at us for not winning trophies is because we are a bigger club. It doesn’t get slung at Villa and Everton because they aren’t. London is a factor, and fan base too.

Villa are like Deportivo in Spain basically

Back