• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New Striker or New Stadium?

We need to be careful, but at the same time we really should have a scouting network to find someone worth a punt within our price range. I think this is imperative and I am flabbergasted that the club cannot see this as a priority. I assume they are worried about upsetting Ade and Defoe.

Or, there's no point in spending money on someone that's not as good and will spend most of his time on the bench.

Stadium, and it's not even close. Perhaps if the striker was Messi we could talk about it...

We won't establish ourselves as a consistent top 4 finisher just by qualifying for the CL once (we've seen this already). As long as the two Manchester clubs, Chelsea and Arsenal have significantly larger revenue streams than ourselves we won't be able to compete over time. The only way to make up ground is to get a bigger stadium. By choosing qualification now over a stadium you're postponing the real issue by a season (or until the next time we drop out of the CL - and that will happen). We simply cannot base our club finances on qualifying for the CL every year, especially as even if we did so there would be 4 clubs with bigger budgets than our own. A consistently increased revenue stream from a new and improved stadium on the other hand is something you can build on for the future.

I guess it would.

The next step is to name this 'top quality striker' who wants to leave his club, wants to come to us, will fit in our wage budget and will not be overpriced.

Which is where the whole thing tends to fall down.. :(

Been the same name for the last 5 windows or so - Leandro.
If we throw the same 25m we were willing to pay for Moutinho at Inter he would be ours ages ago.

Stadium, and it's not even close. Perhaps if the striker was Messi we could talk about it...

We won't establish ourselves as a consistent top 4 finisher just by qualifying for the CL once (we've seen this already). As long as the two Manchester clubs, Chelsea and Arsenal have significantly larger revenue streams than ourselves we won't be able to compete over time. The only way to make up ground is to get a bigger stadium. By choosing qualification now over a stadium you're postponing the real issue by a season (or until the next time we drop out of the CL - and that will happen). We simply cannot base our club finances on qualifying for the CL every year, especially as even if we did so there would be 4 clubs with bigger budgets than our own. A consistently increased revenue stream from a new and improved stadium on the other hand is something you can build on for the future.

But would that happen without CL, and the players attracted therein? As I posted above, it would be hard for us to fill a 56k stadium with no CL and players of the ilk of Kenwyne Jones

Been the same name for the last 5 windows or so - Leandro.
If we throw the same 25m we were willing to pay for Moutinho at Inter he would be ours ages ago.

And if he wasn't the solution to the problem?

I've still not seen anything there that makes me think he is.

That seems far too defeatist. Are you saying that we have no chance of CL because there are four teams with significantly larger revenue streams ahead of us? By that reasoning we would never have a hope of achieving CL again.

A half empty stadium with the team languishing in 7th like Crawley suggested is not what I want to aspire to. Give me the team first any day.

Or, there's no point in spending money on someone that's not as good and will spend most of his time on the bench.

Your right, the impatience in me wants to see someone arrive, but it feels we've been banging this drum for some time. And I suppose Ade has been signed which was a good signing. I think a loan move would be worth looking at for sure if the right man comes along.

I do think the club do see this position as a priority but it's only worth buying a player if he's going to improve our first XI. And in all honesty uncovering a Demba Ba type player is not as common as most people would think. The club would certainly like a move for Leandro or someone of that ilk given the right circumstances

But would that happen without CL, and the players attracted therein? As I posted above, it would be hard for us to fill a 56k stadium with no CL and players of the ilk of Kenwyne Jones

We might have to lower ticket prices slightly, but most of the revenue come from hospitality. The plebs in the stands don't generate as much. Improved facilities will help increase our income. We'd have to fail pretty spectacularly to not at least match the money we make today. We are able to launch a good fight for the CL places as it is, that increase in income could be what gives us that final push. I'd rather we'd be regular contenders in 5 years than take any big risks now.

Without CL - look at the players who will probably leave us - Bale, Sandro, Dembele, Lloris, Verts. All would be targets.

Who would want to come to us when we have failed to get into the CL three years running.

Who would like to sponsor the stadium without CL? We are a signficantly worse proposition.

I can see a downward spiral starting if we dont achieve CL this season. If that happens, a new stadium becomes a pipe dream and hardly necessary.

I would be shocked if we sold more than one of those players in the summer even if we don't get into the CL. 3 of them only signed for us this season.

Every single player in our squad signed for us when we weren't qualified for the Champions League. Both Moutinho and Willian have made it clear that they would be happy signing for us, without Champions League football. Who would want to come to us? Players like Dembele, Lloris and Vertonghen by the looks of it. That will do, for now at least.

And I can see a downward spiral starting from the first season we don't get into CL next if we don't have a bigger stadium. Just because someone can imagine something doesn't make it true.

Unless your plan is to get into the CL now and just continue to be there for 3-4 years what happens this year isn't the issue, it's what happens when the stadium is built and done. Getting CL now, then missing out a couple of years and then having the stadium built won't change much.

Of course we must also have a good team, of course we must also challenge. But the way to do that consistently is to increase our revenue stream and the way to do that is to get a new stadium.

We might have to lower ticket prices slightly, but most of the revenue come from hospitality. The plebs in the stands don't generate as much. Improved facilities will help increase our income. We'd have to fail pretty spectacularly to not at least match the money we make today. We are able to launch a good fight for the CL places as it is, that increase in income could be what gives us that final push. I'd rather we'd be regular contenders in 5 years than take any big risks now.

Fair points.

I think our taster of CL, and the close call last season has made us all a bit impatient on getting back in there. And a lot of us are simply fearing the worst if we don't.

Unless your plan is to get into the CL now and just continue to be there for 3-4 years what happens this year isn't the issue, it's what happens when the stadium is built and done. Getting CL now, then missing out a couple of years and then having the stadium built won't change much.

Of course we must also have a good team, of course we must also challenge. But the way to do that consistently is to increase our revenue stream and the way to do that is to get a new stadium.

As I just posted above, I suspect an element of fear amongst us, that if we don't qualify again soon, it may all be too late.

I think the thing that makes people really excited is the idea of one marquee forward that would transform the club into one who would genuinely challenge for the title. The amount of times I've heard 'imagine if Van Persie played for us, we'd win the league'

Realistically, how difficult is it to find that sort of player

I think the thing that makes people really excited is the idea of one marquee forward that would transform the club into one who would genuinely challenge for the title. The amount of times I've heard 'imagine if Van Persie played for us, we'd win the league'

It's easy.

All you have to do is go to old trafford and there he is on the pitch.

:-"

I would be shocked if we sold more than one of those players in the summer even if we don't get into the CL. 3 of them only signed for us this season.

Every single player in our squad signed for us when we weren't qualified for the Champions League. Both Moutinho and Willian have made it clear that they would be happy signing for us, without Champions League football. Who would want to come to us? Players like Dembele, Lloris and Vertonghen by the looks of it. That will do, for now at least.

And I can see a downward spiral starting from the first season we don't get into CL next if we don't have a bigger stadium. Just because someone can imagine something doesn't make it true.

What makes you think a new stadium is the panacea to all our issues?

We have missed out on CL on each of the last two years by the skin of our teeth. One or two good new signings would in all probability have made all the difference.

If that would have been the case - we would have had CL three years in a row.

Then we can build a new stadium with a view of consolidating our position in the CL and maintaining a good cash flow to stay there.

If we won the league we might stand a chance of signing that level of player. :lol:

They are out there. Just not for £29.99 and a packet of Haribos

That seems far too defeatist. Are you saying that we have no chance of CL because there are four teams with significantly larger revenue streams ahead of us? By that reasoning we would never have a hope of achieving CL again.

A half empty stadium with the team languishing in 7th like Crawley suggested is not what I want to aspire to. Give me the team first any day.

I hope you're not serious and that it was some misguided attempt at a joke or something. If you're serious you must think I'm a fudging idiot.

Did you read the entire sentence you highlighted? Did you notice the "over time" bit at the end? Do you really think that I'm trying to say that the league table is just a listing of teams by revenue each year?

Obviously no one is aspiring to a half empty stadium with the team languishing in 7th... That or spending the stadium money now on the first team are not the only options though. This is akin to me saying that us languishing in 7th after a failed CL attempt, wages we can't pay and a stadium plan in the bin isn't what I want to aspire to. It's just making up some scenario, has nothing to do with what is the best option for the club.

If we won the league we might stand a chance of signing that level of player. :lol:

Even then I doubt it. In order to get a player who becomes that good at Spurs we'd need to gamble. We are no longer a club that should be gambling. Saudi Sportswashing Machine can afford to and need to. We are in a strong position but some off key signings could disrupt that. It is a difficult balancing act for sure

I hope you're not serious and that it was some misguided attempt at a joke or something. If you're serious you must think I'm a fudging idiot.

Do you really think that I'm trying to say that the league table is just a listing of teams by revenue each year?

Actually, it's not far off that, is it? ;)

Back