• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New Signings - Put them in order

Ginola99

Steven Caulker
So we have severn new signings. Stick them in order of your initial impressions of the signing (before pulling on the Spurs shirt)..

1. Soldado - (The clinical finisher that we have been missing for many a year. I didn't think we had a hope in hell of signing him)
2. Lamela - (Love this kid, really excited to see him in our team. Again didn't think we had it in us to bring him in. Will bring goals and assists)
3. Eriksen - (Glad he has been added as I was worried to much of the creativity would be placed on Lamela otherwise. One of the best young talents in World football just turned up at WHL)
4. Paulinho - (Initially thought it was an unnecessary purchase. But I now see it as an effort to get some more goals elsewhere in the team without Bale)
5. Capoue - (Again I didn't think we needed this purchase, hard to turn down at that price but what a player this kid looks)
6. Chiriches - (Not many a defender gets me excited but this kid can play, unbelievably quick as well)
7. Chadli - (Didn't think he was necessary with Lennon and Townsend as I don't expect us to play with out and out wingers. Glad he isn't the Bale replacement but warming too him slowly)

Based on the opening two Premier League games:

1. Paulinho
2. Capoue
3. Chadli
4. Soldado

--

Based on excitement in terms of what we need and what I was expecting:

1. Lamela
2. Soldado
3. Eriksen
4. Chadli
5. Paulinho
6. Capoue
7. Chiriches

1. Soldado - The striker we have obviously needed for a while.
2. lamela - Direct replacement for Bale, young, talented,
3. Paulinho - Brick house in the centre of the park with a great understanding of the game.
4. Chadli - Needed a LW since Bale moved inside, Dempsey did a decent job covering, but Chadli seems far more creative.
5. Capoue - Replacement for Parker/competition for Sandro. Gives us great depth in midfield.
6. Erikson - Bit of an odd one, Think lamela will be our AM, Holtby is his backup, Chadli/Siggy our LW and Lennon/Townsend our RW, making Erikson a backup player already, one that we could probably have been fine without.
7. Chiriches - Don't know anything about him really, really rated Caulker so he will have to be great to replace him for me.

Of course with outgoings that may occur opinion may change.

1. Soldado - The striker we have obviously needed for a while.
2. lamela - Direct replacement for Bale, young, talented,
3. Paulinho - Brick house in the centre of the park with a great understanding of the game.
4. Chadli - Needed a LW since Bale moved inside, Dempsey did a decent job covering, but Chadli seems far more creative.
5. Capoue - Replacement for Parker/competition for Sandro. Gives us great depth in midfield.
6. Erikson - Bit of an odd one, Think lamela will be our AM, Holtby is his backup, Chadli/Siggy our LW and Lennon/Townsend our RW, making Erikson a backup player already, one that we could probably have been fine without.
7. Chiriches - Don't know anything about him really, really rated Caulker so he will have to be great to replace him for me.

Of course with outgoings that may occur opinion may change.
Think you'll be very wrong on Eriksen. But we'll see. Can see him starting left wing or am.

i think they are all good signings tbh - some were brought for the first team, some were brought to add depth and some were brought as prospects with an eye on the future and each one looks to be a good deal baring that in mind.

getting off the fence though Lamela obviously sounds like a real world class prospect by all accounts so has to be the most exciting of the lot really, Capoue looks like a beast worthy of giving Sandro competition or even taking his place and Soldado should be providing us with the goals we have lacked from our forwards lately, should he get the service.

Think you'll be very wrong on Eriksen. But we'll see. Can see him starting left wing or am.

It's fine if i am, just it's one of the more bizzare moves in my mind considering the players we already had. If we hadn't gone for one of Lamela or Chadli then it would make sense to me.

Everyone else seems to be a far more focused signing, even Chiriches is to fill a void. Erikson seems to be to fill a void that no longer exists.

Eriksen - can someone clear up for me where it is he played for Ajax? a lot of people keep putting him in their teams as a LW - i was under the impression he plays centrally, either in the no.10 or slightly deeper.

I'll be blunt and say how I felt the first time I saw them linked to us, I'll just do it in order of when they signed.

Paulinho - I was in the minority who wasn't all that impressed by him at the Confeds, I always thought we needed a ball-player to add to Sandro and Dembele so I was skeptical. It took me a while to get used to the idea but his performance against Swansea has gone some way to winning me over.

Chadli - I wasn't that bothered, I wanted Bernard(who plays in the same position) so I was a little annoyed. Hadn't really seen him other than in games against Spurs, he's been decent enough so far.

Soldado - Was happy with the signing, would have preferred Benteke but he's here now and I hope he can score us a few goals. My big problem with it was that he needs creative players behind him otherwise he's verging on pointless, but thankfully that seems to have been addressed now.

Capoue - I thought why the **** are we buying another beast type midfielder but his first few performances have been brilliant so he's won me over, not that I ever thought he was a bad player, just couldn't see why we were buying him.

Chiriches - He looks great on youtube, that's all I can say really. Happy enough with the signing.

Lamela - Very pleased, even if I've only seen glimpses of him, a young star for us to build around. Happy days.

Eriksen - Our best piece of business all summer. A highly talented young player who fills a massive creativity void in our team, an absolute bargain and he's going to be fantastic for us and will help Roberto pay back his fee.

Well, it's difficult to rate someone in terms of excitement before the put on the shirt, as I'd never really heard of Capoue or Chadli before, and basically first heard of Paulinho a couple of weeks before we got him. So I'm going to rate them from a mix of my first impressions seeing them play and from the general type of hype and YouTube-excitement.

1) Soldado - it feels great to have an experienced goalscorer in the side. Comes across as hard working and incredibly professional as well.
2) Lamela - can't help but to feel excited about this guy, which is basically all down to the hype about him on here. I have never seen him play.
3) Capoue - think he has looked very solid the couple of games I've seen him. Could easily become the heart of our team.
4) Paulinho - I've liked this guy as well, just hasn't made the kind of "pow"-impression Capoue has.
5) Eriksen - have seen him play, but not been impressed before. People with a lot more knowledge of football than me seem to really rate him though, so a very exciting signing. Got some great Youtubes as well.
6) Chadli - struck me as a "one trick pony"-kind of player from the Youtubes, he has speed, basically. but has also proven to have one heck of a cross ball, which is great. I just don't have very high expectations of him.
7) Chiriches - know nothing of the guy. played in the Romanian league. apparently not very good in the air? looks good going forward on the Youtubes, though what we need him for are his defensive duties, obviously.

It's fine if i am, just it's one of the more bizzare moves in my mind considering the players we already had. If we hadn't gone for one of Lamela or Chadli then it would make sense to me.

Everyone else seems to be a far more focused signing, even Chiriches is to fill a void. Erikson seems to be to fill a void that no longer exists.

I think we were short of genuine playmakers. In the squad I would argue possibly Holtby, Carroll and Siggy were our most likely players to pick a key pass and keep possession ticking over. In that respect I feel Eriksen could be key. I'm also being told that his dead ball skills are pretty dam decent too.

Anyway, I'm no expert I am just an over excited fan who has no idea how the next 9 months or so will pan out!

1. Lamela - one of the most highly rated starlets in world football... 'nuff said
2. Soldado - lethal finisher, top class striker - who we need badly
3. Eriksen - technical, intelligent, creative ACM and playmaker. We're dying for a player like this.
4. Paulinho - box to box goalscoring CM, so very happy with this (we need more goals from CM)
5. Capoue - a mother****ing monster already

6. Chadli - not entirely sure we needed him, but he has shown some promise
7. Chicheres - i literally have never seen him play, so it's difficult for me to comment!

1. Lamela
That's our budget for summer transfer window 2017 sorted out! Facetiousness aside, Totti said he hoped Lamela would be his heir, and that's the level this guy could reach.

2. Paulinho
Properly, undeniably world class - he'd get into any team in England IMO. Approaching his peak. Cost about half what Fernandinhio did. That quality for that price makes him No. 2 for me.

3. Chiriches
Surprise choice at No. 3 for me. 23 years old, has already captained Romania, could be with Spurs a very long time. Could be our Vidic (he cost about the same as Vidic at about the same age). My prediction is Vlad and Jan to be the most cultured CB pairing in the world some time inside 2 years. Smiles more than Dawson.

4. Eriksen
He's so young and yet so experienced. People say his development has stalled. But he cost £9m so the risk/reward makes this the No. 4 best signing for me.

5. Chadli
Must admit, haven't been that impressed yet, but his reviews from Holland - where they know about technique - are great, so cautiously optimistic.

6. Soldado
Limited resale value, he was expensive, he's the only signing we probably overpaid for, and he doesn't contribute outside the box. I totally get why we have him and I expect him to score 20 goals and be super, super professional and clinical. Just something that's not entirely my cup of tea so far.

7. Capoue
Not that he doesn't look a fantastic player - his reviews the last few seasons show he is pure quality - it's just I struggle to see a team ever being built around him or his being the first name on the team sheet. Might end up being the best squad player in the EPL.

1. Eriksen - Easily worth double the money we paid, think he's going to be world class.

2. Capoue - Didn't know he was this good, looks to be an absolute bargain.

3. Chiriches - Have a good feeling about this one, ridiculously good technique for a CB.

4. Soldado - World class finisher, decent all-round play, may be a bit too expensive. He'll score ****loads if provided the right service.

5. Paulinho - Not sure about him. Good all-rounder, but don't know if he justifies his price tag or if he's what we needed in that position.

6. Chadli - Not very impressed, don't think he's good enough to start every game. Good replacement for Dempsey, though.

7. Lamela - Don't think he's worth 30m. Everybody says he's gonna be a star, I'm not so sure.

Last edited:
in order of hype:

1. lamela - totti's partner and argentine
2. soldado - sheer luxury with no selll on value!
3. eriksen - PSV's midfield maestro
4. paulinho - the transfer that started it all and signalled to the world spurs 2.0 in the making
5. capoue -stolen right under the noses of pool and **** - perfect for them!
6 & 7 chadli and chriches - who?

In order of value I have capoue at the top of my list then paulinho, but couldn't say for the rest. I think capoue is really very good, and will surprise the league and especially wenger and arsenal.

I'll be blunt and say how I felt the first time I saw them linked to us, I'll just do it in order of when they signed.

Paulinho - I was in the minority who wasn't all that impressed by him at the Confeds, I always thought we needed a ball-player to add to Sandro and Dembele so I was skeptical. It took me a while to get used to the idea but his performance against Swansea has gone some way to winning me over.

Chadli - I wasn't that bothered, I wanted Bernard(who plays in the same position) so I was a little annoyed. Hadn't really seen him other than in games against Spurs, he's been decent enough so far.

Soldado - Was happy with the signing, would have preferred Benteke but he's here now and I hope he can score us a few goals. My big problem with it was that he needs creative players behind him otherwise he's verging on pointless, but thankfully that seems to have been addressed now.

Capoue - I thought why the **** are we buying another beast type midfielder but his first few performances have been brilliant so he's won me over, not that I ever thought he was a bad player, just couldn't see why we were buying him.

Chiriches - He looks great on youtube, that's all I can say really. Happy enough with the signing.

Lamela - Very pleased, even if I've only seen glimpses of him, a young star for us to build around. Happy days.

Eriksen - Our best piece of business all summer. A highly talented young player who fills a massive creativity void in our team, an absolute bargain and he's going to be fantastic for us and will help Roberto pay back his fee.

You are a thief of joy

;)

Last edited:
Eriksen - can someone clear up for me where it is he played for Ajax? a lot of people keep putting him in their teams as a LW - i was under the impression he plays centrally, either in the no.10 or slightly deeper.

He played one of the three central midfielders in Ajax 433 last season. He played as a false 9 in 2 games against Emirates Marketing Project in the Champion's League. He's is a left sided player only in the way people on this board saw Corluka as a DM or Bale as Central Striker. He's played a few times on the right for Ajax when he was just breaking through.

1)Bobby Soldier

I must admit I had doubts about Soldado, seeing as he isn't the most physically powerful and I didn't think he'd work hard enough to merit being our undisputed lone striker. But he's impressed me immensely so far. His movement is fantastic, he's always looking for options and he seems to think one step ahead of most of our midfield lads. Ice-cool penalty taker as well. He's not the fastest, strongest or tallest, but he's got an amazing amount of footballing intelligence and he's proactive - two things I feel our forward line has been lacking for a while.

2) Capoue

He looks like a slightly taller Sandro, judging by his contributions so far. Able to retrieve the ball when it seems impossible to do so, deals easily with any long balls in his general direction and commands his area of the field imperiously. If he's given enough time to settle, I firmly believe he'll become one of the best DMs in the world. And AVB playing him and Sandro together is something I feel every manager in the PL has nightmares about.

3) Chadli

Very early days, but there's something about the lad that gets me excited every time he receives the ball. He's two footed, so the opposition defenders are always on their back heels, unsure of which way he'll go. He's strong, which rules the possibility of the oppo's full-back wresting the ball off him a la Lennon. And he's got an eye for a pass, as witnessed by the intricate combinations he makes with Soldado and Rose. Apparently he's already created three clear-cut chances in as many games, which points at a very promising future once he settles in. At 7 million quid, a bargain.

4) Paulinho

He hasn't been the star of the show so far, by any means. Not exactly a barnstorming entrance. However, what encourages me is that he's absolutely brilliant at the simple things: off the ball runs, tackling, keeping possession and supporting the defenders. He does the essential things very well, and in my opinion will eventually become a more rounded version of Michael Carrick, which is by no means a bad thing. A great signing, then, but not as exciting as Chadli or Soldado.

5) Lamela

Our record signing (for now, anyway :) ). I'm a bit concerned about his slight stature, and if I'm being totally honest wasn't overly impressed by the highlight videos of him from last season. Seemed to me it was more a case of right place, right time for most of the goals he scored. Still, everyone from Tor-Kristian Karlsen to Paolo Bandini is raving about our deal for him, and even I can't deny that the lad's got pace and a sweet left foot. So in that sense, I'm cautiously optimistic about the lad, and trust that he'll eventually make us forget all about Bale. 'Eventually' being the key word, though. :)

6) Chiriches

Romanian international, and looks like an amazingly technical centre-back, able to glide past players at will and fashion a pass better than most outfield players. So in that sense I'm giddy about him. However, I am a bit worried about where he'll fit in. In my view, we've already got a classy, ball-playing centre back in Verts. To complement a player like that, you need a destroyer - someone who's a beastly header of the ball, strong as an ox, and devastatingly good at tackling. Kaboul fits the bill. Dawson fits the bill (mostly). Chiriches doesn't. So in that sense, I'm a bit concerned about whether he'll actually play all that much.

7) Eriksen

Now, don't get me wrong, I love this signing. His reverse passes are brilliant, and he's a great finisher as well. And, given he's only twenty-one, he should improve massively given time on the pitch. However, I seriously doubt he'll get all that much time in his preferred central position, which is my main concern. If we play 4-3-3, then given our physical style of play he'll be behind Dembele, Paulinho, Sandro, Capoue and holtby for a spot at the very least, and that's overlooking Siggy. If we play a 4-2-3-1, then he'll have to compete with Siggy, Holtby and Dembele/Paulinho for that CAM spot. His best chance seems to be playing on the left-wing and cutting inside, but even then he'll have to contend with Chadli and one of Townsend and Lennon, assuming the other competes with Lamela on the right wing. Basically, I feel his development might stall here, which is worrying considering that he's got the potential (if not the immediate ability) to become one of Europe's very best trequartistas.

Last edited:
Way too soon so put them in order, I don't think I've seen any of them play a full 90 minutes outside a Spurs shirt. However, I have a nagging feeling that Eriksen is going to be a flop. No real reason for it, just a hunch. Maybe it's because we got him so cheap, if he was as good as he is hyped to be I imagine he would have commanded a bigger fee, a CL club would have come in for him or he would have left Ajax earlier. He is such a well known player that every club has likely had a dossier on him for years.

Hopefully I'll have egg on my face in a few years and someone will bump this post when he's won Player of the Year and Madrid are bidding £100m for him.

He played one of the three central midfielders in Ajax 433 last season. He played as a false 9 in 2 games against Emirates Marketing Project in the Champion's League. He's is a left sided player only in the way people on this board saw Corluka as a DM or Bale as Central Striker. He's played a few times on the right for Ajax when he was just breaking through.

I thought as much. Lamela on the right Eriksen in the middle it is then

Back