• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New PS3 Super-Duper Slim

scotty220

Matthew Etherington
Anyone else heard about this release? Seems its coming out 28th September and will be bundled with FIFA 13. Very very tempted seeing as I don't currently own one. May need to review their pricing though, if its anything like the European pricing it'll be around £240 for the 500GB version and exclusive to Game. Might just get the older 320GB slim for £180ish. Apparently Sony have left it to the suppliers to decide the selling price. Come on Game, do a good deal!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-19-sony-shocks-world-and-announces-ps3-super-duper-slim

Unbelievable machine for the money

Is a superb media hub (and blu-ray player) as much as a games machine

It should be law to own a PS3

Unbelievable machine for the money

Is a superb media hub (and blu-ray player) as much as a games machine

It should be law to own a PS3

Don't rate it as a media hub, my Samsung TV plays pretty much every HD format I throw at it but my PS3 is very fussy.

Seems they really did nail this generation of consoles.

3 versions of the Xbox, 3 versions of the PS3 and no concrete next gen consoles in sight except for some iffy new Xbox documents.

3 versions of the Xbox, 3 versions of the PS3 and no concrete next gen consoles in sight except for some iffy new Xbox documents.

The xbox 360 was released 7 years ago. Its ludicrous when you think about it like that, think of the difference in spec between a top end PC from 2005 and today

True, though trying to find a PC that runs the same graphics as the Xbox/PS3 for under £200 is hard, as well as having the ability to stream HD media without stuttering. I think they're great bits of kit, just a shame Sony didn't reduce they're pricing

Last edited:

It's really tinkling off the developers and publishers though.

I'd still bet heavily on a new Microsoft and Sony console to be unveiled at E3 next year.

Don't rate it as a media hub, my Samsung TV plays pretty much every HD format I throw at it but my PS3 is very fussy.

I use mine with Serviio to stream from my laptop

I've never found anything it won't play, and I'm a prolific "downloader" :)

Why don't you use serviio to do the transcoding (if necessary)?

I get no lag, even on HD content, as the PS3 is wired to the router

southstand - how is easy would it be for a computer novice to set up a ps3 as a media server like you mention above ? would i be able to access the files on my pc (hard drive which is connected to the pc) which is in a different room ? both PC and PS3 have wired internet connections

southstand - how is easy would it be for a computer novice to set up a ps3 as a media server like you mention above ? would i be able to access the files on my pc (hard drive which is connected to the pc) which is in a different room ? both PC and PS3 have wired internet connections

Step 1 - Download Serviio on your PC (http://www.serviio.org/)
Step 2 - Add a library in Serviio (a folder on your PC)
Step 3 - Turn on your PS3 (wait for it to find Serviio)
Step 4 - Watch a film

Even an Apple user could do it

Southstand, I generally stream on to my TV by unplugging the PS3 HDMI cable and plugging it into my laptop.. Is this Serviio thing an improvement on this method? Does it simply mean I can just relax on the sofa and not have to get up.. if so I'm sold lol?

It's really tinkling off the developers and publishers though.

I'd still bet heavily on a new Microsoft and Sony console to be unveiled at E3 next year.

why is it tinkling off the developers and publishers? for the first time in a couple of decades, they can finally actually spend time programming a system and pushing it to it's limits, rather than have to learn a whole new set of rules for the next gen at the same time. surely that's a good thing?

why is it tinkling off the developers and publishers? for the first time in a couple of decades, they can finally actually spend time programming a system and pushing it to it's limits, rather than have to learn a whole new set of rules for the next gen at the same time. surely that's a good thing?

I've been reading a lot of interviews, they are fed up of the constraints of the systems. A lot have started moving into developing more for mobile platforms as well as they believe the majority have casual gamers have moved on to this, many analysts predicting this delay may have caused irreparable damage to the home console market.

Personally, I don't think that is true, but I can believe that they have lost a lot of gamers to mobile platforms/PC. Also, a lot of the big games unveiled in the last couple of months (e.g. watch dogs) are not expected to be running on any current gen consoles.

Back