• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New home tv set up HELP

Netflix on Fire Stick is perfect, on any custom android box it is not so good. Even Plex and the like doesn't have the seamlessness.

Y

You wont need to pay out for netflix really. Exodus has everything netflix has plus much much more
Exodus pretty much never has HQ encodes. They're all mainly that YIFY crap encoded for blind people on 3" mobile phones.

If you want 1080p encoded at around 10-15GB per film then you either need to download separately or use a service like Netflix.

I watch exodus on a 60inc screen in HD. Ive watched loads of box sets and movies. Not quite sure what you mean above

Does any system depend on your wifi signal quality/strength?

Or are there other factors that can affect the potential of the picture quality?

Does any system depend on your wifi signal quality/strength?

Or are there other factors that can affect the potential of the picture quality?
If you want really solid 1080p then you will need a good wifi signal or use powerline adaptors.

Obviously your connection speed to the outside world is a factor - I get around 35-50Mbps and it's plenty.

Exodus is awful for me, I like immediate play at HD so pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Probably going to go down the private torrent route or Sanzbd route.

I watch exodus on a 60inc screen in HD. Ive watched loads of box sets and movies. Not quite sure what you mean above
Exodus is not HD. If you have a BluRay player for comparison you'll see what I mean.

Most of the HD streams are 720p and those few that are 1080p are encoded at a tiny bit rate so are essentially a blurred version of what they should be with artifacts all over the place.

They're almost never in 5.1 (or better) and I've never once seen anything encoded in DTS-HD or Dolby Digital Plus (should be standard by now).

It's an OK service if, as I use it, you want to be able to watch a Simpsons or South Park episode but don't want to keep the entire library. For watching films you really need a server with content downloaded separately.

Can anyone recommend a good place to watch the BBC Olympic streams from outside the UK?
I'm currently using UK TV AGAIN on Kodi but its all stop start and crashing after 10mins.
Am I better off getting a free vpn software or are there better Kodi alternatives to try?

A addon called VIDTIME is pretty good for UK live TV. Most addons will have BBC streams inside them such as UK Turk

Last edited:
Kodi is a pain - it's like TV for students/nerds
BT has no Sky Sports 3,4,5 and is not cheap!
If you are in a Virgin area you can get some great deals for everything and even cheaper if you pay line rental up front for the year.
Sky can be beaten down price wise but BT sport is extra.
My main criteria is - quality - reliability - ease of use for the Mrs.
So I have Sky TV + BT Sport - Virgin Internet / phone - Apple Tv - WDhub - old motorised satalite system which is about to be dismantled/scrapped , used for Freeview ATM
AND assorted PCs and iPads + a wired network for the whole enchilada

It all works and I'm a bit of a old nutter for this type of things!

Keep an eye on contract lengths BT have been offering lower pricing on 18 month contracts

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a good place to watch the BBC Olympic streams from outside the UK?
I'm currently using UK TV AGAIN on Kodi but its all stop start and crashing after 10mins.
Am I better off getting a free vpn software or are there better Kodi alternatives to try?

Use UK iplayer with a 'good' smart DNS - PC or Mac

I think I have used Smart DNS proxy before. Can't recall why I stopped or removed it though. Is it a good one? Will take a look again tomorrow

Kodi is a pain - it's like TV for students/nerds
BT has no Sky Sports 3,4,5 and is not cheap!
If you are in a Virgin area you can get some great deals for everything and even cheaper if you pay line rental up front for the year.
Sky can be beaten down price wise but BT sport is extra.
My main criteria is - quality - reliability - ease of use for the Mrs.
So I have Sky TV + BT Sport - Virgin Internet / phone - Apple Tv - WDhub - old motorised satalite system which is about to be dismantled/scrapped , used for Freeview ATM
AND assorted PCs and iPads + a wired network for the whole enchilada

It all works and I'm a bit of a old nutter for this type of things!

Keep an eye on contract lengths BT have been offering lower pricing on 18 month contracts

UPDATE:

BT infinity up and running and speed testing always at 50Mbps plus (10Mbps upload), BT max on my tariff is 52Mbps but at least im getting what i pay for. Schoolboy error on my part was thinking i may be ok with 25gb data limit...well and truly eaten within 7 days....so upped to unlimited (now £15 a month).
The router (hub 6)range is very good. That said i have two powerline adapters in the front room for the youview box (no wi-fi connection anyway for this...wtf) and the android box.
The youview is costing me nothing (for 12 months) and at least means i can use that for the freeview and bt sport....a back-up if the internet disintegrates. (i was using my old sky hd box as there is a dish and wiring in the house)

After quite a bit of reading i plumped for the Minix Neo U1 (considered Wetek, Nvidia Shield), there are many cheaper boxes but wanted something that appears to be sticking around and has good support. The spec ticked as many boxes as possible. £104 inc air lite remote (much needed over basic remote control). The box worked flawlessly (full HD) just on the wifi signal (both the new router and minix have 802.11ac not sure if this makes a diff??)
It's a bit of a curve getting used to the interface, minix and kodi, but plenty of help and a mountain of videos...walkthru's etc on the web. So far so good....the box work smoothly.
Downloaded a few add-ons so far and also subscribed to MBOX HDTV at £100 for the year. This has been excellent so far all the sports channels you can think of...inc Sky Sports, BT sport and all the foreign ones that may just be useful on a Saturday;). Plus there is a movies and on-demand section for other stuff. I dont really watch a lot of programs when they are actually 'on' (except sport), so catch-up/on demand is perfect for me. Gonna investigate PVR and/or building a bit of a library to access as and when.
Still chromecasting as well!

So things are running at monthly
£15 for BT (also gives me bt sport app and BT Fon when out and about)
£0 for BT youview
£17 line rental (paid a year upfront)
£8ish for MBOX (cheers @markysimmo )

Ps. BT hav sent me my £150 loaded mastercard and hopefully i'll get another £150 via Quidco.

Anyone recommend any good kids add-ons for kodi??

Last edited:
UPDATE:

BT infinity up and running and speed testing always at 50Mbps plus (10Mbps upload), BT max on my tariff is 52Mbps but at least im getting what i pay for. Schoolboy error on my part was thinking i may be ok with 25gb data limit...well and truly eaten within 7 days....so upped to unlimited (now £15 a month).
The router (hub 6)range is very good. That said i have two powerline adapters in the front room for the youview box (no wi-fi connection anyway for this...wtf) and the android box.
The youview is costing me nothing (for 12 months) and at least means i can use that for the freeview and bt sport....a back-up if the internet disintegrates. (i was using my old sky hd box as there is a dish and wiring in the house)

After quite a bit of reading i plumped for the Minix Neo U1 (considered Wetek, Nvidia Shield), there are many cheaper boxes but wanted something that appears to be sticking around and has good support. The spec ticked as many boxes as possible. £104 inc air lite remote (much needed over basic remote control). The box worked flawlessly (full HD) just on the wifi signal (both the new router and minix have 802.11ac not sure if this makes a diff??)
It's a bit of a curve getting used to the interface, minix and kodi, but plenty of help and a mountain of videos...walkthru's etc on the web. So far so good....the box work smoothly.
Downloaded a few add-ons so far and also subscribed to MBOX HDTV at £100 for the year. This has been excellent so far all the sports channels you can think of...inc Sky Sports, BT sport and all the foreign ones that may just be useful on a Saturday;). Plus there is a movies and on-demand section for other stuff. I dont really watch a lot of programs when they are actually 'on' (except sport), so catch-up/on demand is perfect for me. Gonna investigate PVR and/or building a bit of a library to access as and when.
Still chromecasting as well!

So things are running at
£15 for BT (also gives me bt sport app and BT Fon when out and about)
£0 for BT youview
£17 line rental (paid a year upfront)
£8ish for MBOX (cheers @markysimmo )

Ps. BT hav sent me my £150 loaded mastercard and hopefully i'll get another £150 via Quidco.

Anyone recommend any good kids add-ons for kodi??

Sound like a great deal..

Sadly cant help with Kodi kids stuff.

Back