• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New DoF?

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/TottenhamHotspurPlayerTransferHistory1908-2009.html

Vedran Corluka Emirates Marketing Project Sep-08 £8,500,000 Vedran Corluka Lokomotiv Moscow (Russia) Jun-12 £5,500,000 -£3,000,000
Roman Pavlyuchenko Spartak Moscow Aug-08 £13,800,000 Roman Pavlyuchenko Lokomotiv Moscow Jan-12 £8,000,000 -£5,800,000
Charlie Daniels Youth Team Aug-08 Free Charlie Daniels Leyton Orient Jan-09 £? £?
Cesar Sanchez Real Zaragoza Aug-08 Season loan Cesar Sanchez Valencia Jan-09 £? £?
Adam Smith Youth Team Jly-08 Free
Oscar Jansson Youth Team Jly-08 Free Oscar Jansson Released Jly-12 £0
Andros Townsend Youth Team Jly-08 Free
David Bentley Blackburn Rovers Jly-08 £17,000,000
Joseph Martin Youth Team Jly-08 Free Joseph Martin Blackpool Jly-08 £? £?
Heurelho Gomes PSV Eindhoven Jun-08 £7,000,000
Paul-Jose Mpoku Standard Liege Jun-08 £? Paul-Jose Mpoku Standard Liege (Belgium) Jly-11 £? £?
Giovani Dos Santos Barcelona Jun-08 £4,400,000 Giovani Dos Santos Mallorca (Spain) Aug-12 £5,000,000 £600,000
John Bostock Crystal Palace May-08 £2,150,000 John Bostock Swindon Town Aug-12 Loan to Jan 2013
Luka Modric Dinamo Zagreb Apr-08 £16,505,000 Luka Modric Real Madrid (Spain) Aug-12 £33,300,000 £16,795,000
Gilberto de Silva Melo Hertha Berlin Jan-08 £1,800,000 Gilberto de Silva Melo Released Jly-09 £0 -£1,800,000
Alan Hutton Glasgow Rangers Jan-08 £9,000,000 Alan Hutton Aston Villa Aug-11 £3,000,000 -£6,000,000
Jonathan Woodgate Middlesbrough Jan-08 £7,000,000 Jonathan Woodgate Released Jun-11 £0 -£7,000,000
Chris Gunter Cardiff City Jan-08 £2,000,000 Chris Gunter Nottingham Forest Jly-09 £1,750,000 -£250,000
Troy Archibald-Henville Youth Team Nov-07 Free Troy Archibald-Henville Exeter City Jan-10 £50,000 £50,000
Simon Dawkins Youth Team Oct-07 Free Simon Dawkins Released Jly-09 £0 £0
Tommy Forecast Youth Team Oct-07 Free Tommy Forecast Southampton Jly-08 £200,000 £200,000
Kevin-Prince Boateng Hertha Berlin Jly-07 £4,500,000 Kevin-Prince Boateng Portsmouth Aug-09 £4,000,000 -£500,000
Danny Rose Leeds United Jly-07 £1,000,000 Danny Rose Sunderland Aug-12 Season Loan
Younes Kaboul Auxerre Jly-07 £8,200,000 Younes Kaboul Portsmouth Aug-08 £6,000,000 -£2,200,000
Darren Bent Charlton Athletic Jun-07 £16,500,000 Darren Bent Sunderland Aug-09 £16,500,000 £0
Yuri Berchiche Athletico Bilbao Jun-07 Free Yuri Berchiche Valladolid Aug-09 £0? £0?
Gareth Bale Southampton May-07 £7,500,000
Ricardo Rocha Benfica Jan-07 £3,276,000 Ricardo Rocha Released Jly-09 £0 -£3,276,000
Ben Alnwick Sunderland Jan-07 £1,300,000 Ben Alnwick Barnsley Jly-12 £0 -£1,300,000
Adel Taarabt RC Lens Jan-07 Free Adel Taarabt Queens Park Rangers Aug-10 £1,000,000 £1,000,000
Jamie O'Hara Youth Team Dec-06 Free Jamie O'Hara Wolverhampton Wanderers Jly-11 £5,000,000 £5,000,000
Andy Barcham Youth Team Nov-06 Free Andy Barcham Gillingham Jan-09 £0? £0?
Pascal Chimbonda Wigan Athletic Aug-06 £4,000,000 Pascal Chimbonda Sunderland Jly-08 £6,000,000 £2,000,000
Steed Malbranque Fulham Aug-06 £3,500,000 Steed Malbranque Sunderland Jly-08 £6,000,000 £2,500,000
Mido AS Roma Aug-06 £4,500,000 Mido Middlesbrough Aug-07 £6,800,000 £2,300,000
Tomas Pekhart Slavia Prague Jul-06 £250,000 Tomas Pekhart FK Jablonec 97 Jan-10 £0? £0?
Dorian Dervite Lille Jun-06 £250,000 Dorian Dervite Villarreal Jly-10 £0 -£250,000
Didier Zokora St Etienne Jun-06 £5,200,000 Didier Zokora Sevilla Jly-09 £8,620,000 £3,420,000
Benoit Assou-Ekotto RC Lens Jun-06 £3,500,000
Dimitar Berbatov Bayer Leverkusen May-06 £10,900,000 Dimitar Berbatov Manchester United Sep-08 £30,750,000 £19,850,000
Lee Barnard Youth Team Apr-06 Free Lee Barnard Southend United Jan-08 £100,000 £100,000
Charlie Lee Youth Team Feb-06 Free Charlie Lee Peterborough United Jul-07 £250,000 £250,000
Hossam Ghaly Feyernoord Jan-06 £750,000 Hossam Ghaly Al Nasr Jan-09 £1,400,000 £650,000
Danny Murphy Charlton Athletic Jan-06 £2,000,000 Danny Murphy Fulham Aug-07 £1,000,000 -£1,000,000
Grzegorz Rasiak Derby County Jul-05 £2,200,000 Grzegorz Rasiak Southampton Feb-06 £2,000,000 -£200,000

Technical Director to come in...possibly Franco Baldini?

I think this shows great hope for the future in terms of establishing consistency and congruence between club, player appointments and coach. I hope it happens! I'm telling you, Levy's world was torn apart by those ****s in West London when they stepped up Arnesen and I think it's taken him this long to find a manager/coach who wants to work with the system he himself has always favoured. Also shows he is ready to relinquish his role as principle contact in transfer negotiations, which is great! I am VERY PROUD of the way our club is being run...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/17/andre-villas-boas-tottenham-technical-director

André Villas-Boas says that he wants Tottenham Hotspur to appoint a technical director in order to make them bigger players on the transfer market. The Roma general manager Franco Baldini, who previously held a similar post alongside Fabio Capello in the England setup, is the favourite for the job.

The Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is an advocate of the two-tier continental-type structure, which can aid the continuity of player recruitment and, having inherited David Pleat as the director of football upon his arrival at the club in 2001, he went on to employ Frank Arnesen and Damien Comolli as the sporting director.

The results were mixed but Villas-Boas says that it would benefit him to work with such a figure, particularly one with the "experience of dressing rooms" rather than, for example, a boardroom executive. He worked productively with Antero Henrique at Porto.

Villas-Boas refused to say whether Baldini might be appointed at Tottenham, where Levy has not replaced the former chief scout, Ian Broomfield, who was central to player recruitment. Broomfield left to join Harry Redknapp at Queens Park Rangers. Levy sacked Redknapp as Tottenham's manager last summer.

"The chairman and I have been outlining the route ahead for what we want to do in terms of the club structures and, hopefully, the arrival of somebody else in the structure for the recruitment side – a technical director," Villas-Boas said. "Hopefully we can take those steps forward. It's not up to me to confirm anything.

"The most important thing is the relationship between the person that bridges the gap between manager and board, and that he is able to be focused on the technical side of things. [It should be] someone who has experience of dressing rooms, represents the club, and is able to link up with players and agents."

Villas-Boas made it clear that he was fully supportive of the appointment, and he suggested that he might be more comfortable purely as coach, who could concentrate on work on the training pitch.

"I think of a more European style of structure, of a head coach and then the functions of a manager will be handed up to a different person," Villas-Boas said. "It's something that works. Since the first day, I told the club that it's somebody who is extremely important."

Tottenham are notorious for leaving some of their transfer deals to the last moment, and the overlap between the start of the season and the closure of the summer window has, on occasion, been unsettling. "Ideally when you set up for the first game of the season ... to have put the team to bed would be the ideal situation," Villas-Boas said.

Tottenham will pursue "quality" additions regardless of whether they qualify for the Champions League and Villas-Boas had praise for the Barcelona striker David Villa, with whom he has been linked. "I tried to move him to Chelsea [last season]," he said. "He's a world-renowned striker," he said.

Re: Technical Director to come in...possibly Franco Baldini?

Am sure this was mentioned in the old 'what happened to the transfer section' thread. So it could have legs.

I find it a little ominous that we have not replaced our head scout though. Especially this close to the summer window.

Even more encouragingly, given what AVB has to say about the importance of a good relationship between the technical director and the head coach and what he also has to say about his significant input into the decision, it suggests that he wants to stay with Spurs for at least the medium term - and maybe for the long term.

I support a defacto DOF structure - it offers more stability to the "modern day" club that can't be sure if it's lucked upon an SAF/Wenger/Moyes in this highly pressurized, results-driven business. Look at Sunderland and Villa, compared to Swansea and Southampton - the former two have wasted a horrifying amount of money because every time they turnover managers they have to pay off a bunch of people and change half the squad in order to suit the oftentimes-radically-different style of the new manager, all of which is expensive. Swansea and Southampton in contrast have actual philosophies and build their teams accordingly, regardless of who the current manager is (they ensure the manager fits the style in any case). Sometimes they will aggressively, ruthlessly seek managers who represent the ideal fit, as Southampton did with discarding Atkins for Pochettino. Saudi Sportswashing Machine also use a DOF structure, they just haven't identified the appropriate manager.

I think we have stumbled upon a manager who fits our/Levy's own philosophy, so we should run with it. Perhaps because he is relatively young and inexperienced AVB has always stressed the importance of a *team* - not just in terms of players, but in terms of the entire make-up of a club beyond the pitch; he's not interested in controlling everything, he wants to work with and learn from the best. A brilliant DOF could easily be our best signing of the season. Is that Baldini? I have no idea, but at least his extensive experience might yield the contacts that AVB/Freund's youth still lack.

I support a defacto DOF structure - it offers more stability to the "modern day" club that can't be sure if it's lucked upon an SAF/Wenger/Moyes in this highly pressurized, results-driven business. Look at Sunderland and Villa, compared to Swansea and Southampton - the former two have wasted a horrifying amount of money because every time they turnover managers they have to pay off a bunch of people and change half the squad in order to suit the oftentimes-radically-different style of the new manager, all of which is expensive. Swansea and Southampton in contrast have actual philosophies and build their teams accordingly, regardless of who the current manager is (they ensure the manager fits the style in any case). Sometimes they will aggressively, ruthlessly seek managers who represent the ideal fit, as Southampton did with discarding Atkins for Pochettino. Saudi Sportswashing Machine also use a DOF structure, they just haven't identified the appropriate manager.

I think we have stumbled upon a manager who fits our/Levy's own philosophy, so we should run with it. Perhaps because he is relatively young and inexperienced AVB has always stressed the importance of a *team* - not just in terms of players, but in terms of the entire make-up of a club beyond the pitch; he's not interested in controlling everything, he wants to work with and learn from the best. A brilliant DOF could easily be our best signing of the season. Is that Baldini? I have no idea, but at least his extensive experience might yield the contacts that AVB/Freund's youth still lack.

Agreed 100%.

Even more encouragingly, given what AVB has to say about the importance of a good relationship between the technical director and the head coach and what he also has to say about his significant input into the decision, it suggests that he wants to stay with Spurs for at least the medium term - and maybe for the long term.

Great post.

I agree with Steff as well, irrespective of how this season ends you just get that feeling that we could have some good times coming!

Great post.

I agree with Steff as well, irrespective of how this season ends you just get that feeling that we could have some good times coming!

Definitely feeling this. Great news, thanks for sharing Steff.

West Brom are another club that have really benefited from having a DoF and clear vision.

I think the key point is not the structure but that everyone within it has clear lines of responsibility, know what they are, and can work with the others. The main reason that it didn't work with Comolli as that he and Jol weren't on the same page, which was a shame. Comolli eventually delivered left sided players by the bundle, but didn't solve the problem when Jol needed one.

As others have said the rapid turnover of managers makes continuity important. The DoF is one way of doing this, but United also seem to have picked a manager to suit their structure. The continuity has to come from a vision from the top and it now looks promising for us. Levy has always like the DoF structure, but put structure over pragmatism in the past, now he is working with the manager. The DoF per se is not the answer to continuity, as we found out when Chelsea pinched Arnsen. It's the right combination of people in the right roles that is important. Now Levy has the right manager/coach - AVB sounds like he means it, rather than parroting an official line - who will help find someone who fits.

The job of managing a football club has grown and involves so many facets. Even the total control managers. like Fergie and Wenger, worked with a trusted member of the board. It really is a job that needs substantial delegation of duties and not many managers are equipped for the old school way and many fail to note how managers like Fergie relied on delegation. There is a difference from being in complete control and dictating every facet of the club.

Seems like good news to me. The right technical director could help us a lot I think.

Baldini must be among those with the best reputation we could realistically go for, although he hasn't had the best of times at Roma it seems.

I think the key point is not the structure but that everyone within it has clear lines of responsibility, know what they are, and can work with the others. The main reason that it didn't work with Comolli as that he and Jol weren't on the same page, which was a shame. Comolli eventually delivered left sided players by the bundle, but didn't solve the problem when Jol needed one.

As others have said the rapid turnover of managers makes continuity important. The DoF is one way of doing this, but United also seem to have picked a manager to suit their structure. The continuity has to come from a vision from the top and it now looks promising for us. Levy has always like the DoF structure, but put structure over pragmatism in the past, now he is working with the manager. The DoF per se is not the answer to continuity, as we found out when Chelsea pinched Arnsen. It's the right combination of people in the right roles that is important. Now Levy has the right manager/coach - AVB sounds like he means it, rather than parroting an official line - who will help find someone who fits.

The job of managing a football club has grown and involves so many facets. Even the total control managers. like Fergie and Wenger, worked with a trusted member of the board. It really is a job that needs substantial delegation of duties and not many managers are equipped for the old school way and many fail to note how managers like Fergie relied on delegation. There is a difference from being in complete control and dictating every facet of the club.

I agree 100%

I think this shows great hope for the future in terms of establishing consistency and congruence between club, player appointments and coach. I hope it happens! I'm telling you, Levy's world was torn apart by those ****s in West London when they stepped up Arnesen and I think it's taken him this long to find a manager/coach who wants to work with the system he himself has always favoured. Also shows he is ready to relinquish his role as principle contact in transfer negotiations, which is great! I am VERY PROUD of the way our club is being run...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/17/andre-villas-boas-tottenham-technical-director

André Villas-Boas says that he wants Tottenham Hotspur to appoint a technical director in order to make them bigger players on the transfer market. The Roma general manager Franco Baldini, who previously held a similar post alongside Fabio Capello in the England setup, is the favourite for the job.

The Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is an advocate of the two-tier continental-type structure, which can aid the continuity of player recruitment and, having inherited David Pleat as the director of football upon his arrival at the club in 2001, he went on to employ Frank Arnesen and Damien Comolli as the sporting director.

The results were mixed but Villas-Boas says that it would benefit him to work with such a figure, particularly one with the "experience of dressing rooms" rather than, for example, a boardroom executive. He worked productively with Antero Henrique at Porto.

Villas-Boas refused to say whether Baldini might be appointed at Tottenham, where Levy has not replaced the former chief scout, Ian Broomfield, who was central to player recruitment. Broomfield left to join Harry Redknapp at Queens Park Rangers. Levy sacked Redknapp as Tottenham's manager last summer.

"The chairman and I have been outlining the route ahead for what we want to do in terms of the club structures and, hopefully, the arrival of somebody else in the structure for the recruitment side – a technical director," Villas-Boas said. "Hopefully we can take those steps forward. It's not up to me to confirm anything.

"The most important thing is the relationship between the person that bridges the gap between manager and board, and that he is able to be focused on the technical side of things. [It should be] someone who has experience of dressing rooms, represents the club, and is able to link up with players and agents."

Villas-Boas made it clear that he was fully supportive of the appointment, and he suggested that he might be more comfortable purely as coach, who could concentrate on work on the training pitch.

"I think of a more European style of structure, of a head coach and then the functions of a manager will be handed up to a different person," Villas-Boas said. "It's something that works. Since the first day, I told the club that it's somebody who is extremely important."

Tottenham are notorious for leaving some of their transfer deals to the last moment, and the overlap between the start of the season and the closure of the summer window has, on occasion, been unsettling. "Ideally when you set up for the first game of the season ... to have put the team to bed would be the ideal situation," Villas-Boas said.

Tottenham will pursue "quality" additions regardless of whether they qualify for the Champions League and Villas-Boas had praise for the Barcelona striker David Villa, with whom he has been linked. "I tried to move him to Chelsea [last season]," he said. "He's a world-renowned striker," he said.

So AVB is already annoyed with having to deal directly with Levy on transfers then :lol:

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. It causes a LOT of in club fighting in Holland. But football clubs are so much bigger than they used to be and there is so much commercial pressure on the coach and agents involved that the old fashioned Manager style can't really work anymore. But it's really a case of what functions do you devolve within the club. Like all jobs in any organization it comes down to getting the right person in. If you have a great coach but a bad Technical Director it won't work. If you get a great Technical Director but a bad coach it won't work. It does add another layer of complexity for hiring and it increases the chance of not being able to find all the necessary right people, but when it does work it works well.

We have gotten it backwards here though. It should be the Technical Director that chooses the Coach, not the other way around. This is where Spurs have gone wrong with it in the past.

We have gotten it backwards here though. It should be the Technical Director that chooses the Coach, not the other way around. This is where Spurs have gone wrong with it in the past.

But this fails when the technical director leaves, e.g. Arnsen to Chelsea. If the technical director picks the coach, then a new technical director should pick a new coach on arrival, which would increase the disruption.

What it needs is a system with say CEO/director, manager and technical director cooperating. When either of the manager or technical director leaves, then the remaining one helps the board select a suitable replacement. The Spurs technical director needs to be able to work with both AVB and Levy so both must approve of the choice.

But this fails when the technical director leaves, e.g. Arnsen to Chelsea. If the technical director picks the coach, then a new technical director should pick a new coach on arrival, which would increase the disruption.

What it needs is a system with say CEO/director, manager and technical director cooperating. When either of the manager or technical director leaves, then the remaining one helps the board select a suitable replacement. The Spurs technical director needs to be able to work with both AVB and Levy so both must approve of the choice.

Agreed. Both work under and for Levy, they need to cooperate and although it's more likely that the head coach gets the sack if the results are lacking both should have some responsibility for results.

In some of the continental structures it seems to me that the DoF gets almost all the power, but the head coach is the only one that is blamed if the results are lacking. I think that's somewhat skewed.

Of the clubs mentioned previously who adopt this set up in England - do you think any of their supporters have as much debate/arguments over it as we do?

Back