• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New Bands

are you on the Horn mailing list mate?

Yeah, my fianc?®e was the booker there until August last year, and they had to let her go due to not being able to afford her wages, she then moved to Nambucca in London. I've known about that for a while, just a bit surprised he went so public about it.

If you're about tomorrow evening come down, we've got a great show in place.

Obviously any of these bands who actually sell any records will instantly become corporate fluffy bunnies cuddlings and sell outs?

And - 'I was a fan when they were playing my mates garage, but now they're playing pubs and small venues they've lost their edge' :)

Personally, I don't have a problem with a band making money providing that they have done their graft and earned their success the right way. I can not stand acts that have been put together by a label/PR guru, and handed their success on a plate.

100% agree!

On the Adele thread someone argued that she was only succesful due to being fat? :)

I didn't realise being fat was such an asset in Simon Cowell's world!?

What's your take on it?

I think Adele, has been signing the clubs and pubs for a few years (albeit after being part of the Brits school mob), and a has sung to one man and their dog. Also importantly she writes her own songs. At least she is a fellow Spurs fan :)

Whereas someone like Lana Del Rey, has tried and failed under different guises, has had millions pumped into everything including name, look etc and suddenly she is this brilliant new act. This happens with bands too, and some you might least expect too.

Music is a business no matter how much we all like to take that out of the equation, even for new bands, venues need money to be able to run, without this they will close, and unfortunately established small music venues are closing all the time which in turn will hinder the new acts.

The ****pit in Leeds is a great venue.

Leeds has loads of smaller venues, it has a great small band scene. The Arena is now being built as well to attract the biggest bands.

Nice to see you acknowledge that as long as talent breaks through, who cares?

Offbeat offensive are a ska band from Portsmouth who are going down a storm on the south coast. Won the city's battle of the bands - no meanfeat - and were in the last 10 for a place at the London International Ska Festival. They have an EP coming out on Friday and should spearhead a summer of ska :) http://www.facebook.com/offbeatoffensive

Yeah, my fianc?®e was the booker there until August last year, and they had to let her go due to not being able to afford her wages, she then moved to Nambucca in London. I've known about that for a while, just a bit surprised he went so public about it.

it was certainly a surprise to me - i assumed they were one of the succesful pubs in st albans.

i will try and make it down - depends if ive recovered from The Wombats tonight.
(will PM you if i make and say hello)

100% agree!

On the Adele thread someone argued that she was only succesful due to being fat? :)

I didn't realise being fat was such an asset in Simon Cowell's world!?

What's your take on it?

If you want to continue to the debate, take it to the adele thread. Seems like a few of you gave up after a few swings and misses.

ha - just realised The Static Jacks are first on tonight!

it was certainly a surprise to me - i assumed they were one of the succesful pubs in st albans.

i will try and make it down - depends if ive recovered from The Wombats tonight.
(will PM you if i make and say hello)

It depends whats on, imo too many tribute bands that cost and arm and a leg and don't necessarily attract enough to pay for them

That's your choice but it's a bit dull if you run anytime you feel you are losing a debate. Each to their own though.

It depends whats on, imo too many tribute bands that cost and arm and a leg and don't necessarily attract enough to pay for them

ah! i didnt know the financials behind that.
i used to be down there at least every other weekend in my early teens, but dont make it much now.

i remember a view years back they were trying to get some bigger bands down there off the back of the "music pub of year" awards.

remember they had Ian Brown at one point who then pulled out and Biffy Clyro were supposedly a possibility.

as you've seen in Hemel, not enough good music venues in Herts

I agree, we put on a few shows last year. Friendly Fires, Turin Brakes, Dodgy, and some great up an coming acts like The Moons, Fixers, Missing Andy, Cave Painting, Bleech and we got it shortlisted as one of the UKs best small music venues in NME.

A few years ago, I almost had Dirty Pretty Things and Glasvegas there, just didn't work at the time for where Juicebox was at that point.

Back