• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Naughton and Kane to become 'Plastic Paddies' (Eire call ups)?

Gutter Boy

Tim Sherwood
O’Neill coy as Kane linked with Republic call

Martin O’Neill yesterday refused to be drawn on speculation that he is set to run the rule over Spurs striker Harry Kane who, although an England U21 international, is still eligible to play for Ireland through his Galway-born father.

Revealing he is considering attending the Spurs-Aston Villa game at White Hart Lane tomorrow, O’Neill first highlighted the possibility that Jack Grealish might follow up his Premier League debut with another run-out for the visitors before cryptically adding there was “another element” to his attending the game, “a possibility of something else”.

Asked if this something else might be eligibility-based, the manager answered in the affirmative but, having dangled the bait, quickly withdrew it when Kane’s name was raised from the back of the press conference room in Abbotstown. “I am not listening to up there,” O’Neill chuckled. “I am ignoring what is being said up there.”

Just to add further to the intrigue, right-back Kyle Naughton is another Spurs player who, despite being capped for England at U21 level, is still Irish eligible.

All O’Neill would add to the speculation yesterday is he hopes to provide more clarity when he announces his final squad for the summer friendlies, likely on May 20.

By then, it’s expected that O’Neill will have added temporary additions to his backroom team for the extended schedule, with his long-time club coach Steve Walford in line to come on board. O’Neill ruled out a return for his old sidekick John Robertson, however, saying he is “happily retired” and in good shape following a health scare.

O’Neill also said that he has no problem with Roy Keane travelling to Lisbon for ITV’s Champions League final coverage on Saturday, May 24, noting that he would be back in the Irish camp for the following day’s friendly against Turkey in Dublin.

O’Neill himself plans to attend the Germany-Portugal game at the World Cup in his capacity as Ireland manager, as well as contributing to ITV coverage of other games.

It was also announced yesterday that, come autumn, Oman will provide the Euro qualifier warm-up opposition for Ireland in a friendly in Dublin on September 3.

The manager also made it clear that he thinks Hull’s David Meyler is very lucky not to be missing the FA Cup final after his apparent stamp on Manchester United’s Adnan Januzaj.

“I’d have to say yes,” said O’Neill. “I was really surprised at Meyler — us having praised him for saving Pardew and then suddenly he goes and let’s the old veil down. He is fortunate. Apparently the referee has said he did see the incident therefore it was done and dusted, but if he had seen the other angle he would have done something about it, so he is very lucky.”

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/...as-kane-linked-with-republic-call-268101.html

And Tony Galvin, who said something akin to "If they won't pick Hoddle, why would they pick me?"

As for O'Neill's

“another element” to his attending the game, “a possibility of something else”.

.... might that be at a management level ?

And Tony Galvin, who said something akin to "If they won't pick Hoddle, why would they pick me?"

As for O'Neill's

.... might that be at a management level ?

Well, a better option than TS, but I thinks thats a no-go

"Asked if this something else might be eligibility-based, the manager answered in the affirmative"

Same reason Chris Hughton, Andy Townsend, Tony Cascarino, Terry Phelan, John Aldridge, Ray Houghton, Mick Mccarthy and co did. Because they won't ever get an England call-up.

I think saying that those players would never have been called up by England is a bit much. Each of those players would likely have been recognised by England, even if just a few caps. Each of those players enjoyed some success in football so why would they have been overlooked?

I can understand that the call up by Eire is a fall back option to many though. Perhaps though it's because, through family, they feel a connection to that country. Plus it gives them the chance to be a key figure for the country rather than just a bit part player.

For Naughton, I think it would be his best chance of getting international football. Kane on the other hand is still young and has also been involved in the England youth teams. The only reason I think he'd make a decision now would be if he felt a great affinity with his Irish heritage.

Same reason Chris Hughton, Andy Townsend, Tony Cascarino, Terry Phelan, John Aldridge, Ray Houghton, Mick Mccarthy and co did. Because they won't ever get an England call-up.

Is fair enough but considering how Roy Keane treated McCarthy when he was manager I find it funny that he is part of the current set up when this move is being talked about.

Most of those above proved themselves to be better than England had at the time, oh and Houghton was scottish so unlikely he would have got a call up for England.

Back