• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nairobi - Terrorism

Dorothy

Willem Korsten
It often looks when you see these terrible crises abroad that those responding appear to be ill equipped to do so. You see images of what you would imagine are the army bumbling about, not using cover, wearing ill fitting uniforms and looking like extras from a low budget war film. Those who made the decision to run, made it out alive or only injured took a very brave decision because you wouldn't feel confident of a happy ending should you be holed up in there. Grim stuff.

Not every country can afford SWAT teams and full protective gear. Very few can, with most just issuing ordinary police officers with assault rifles, a vest and the power of belief before sending them off to fight terrorists or organized criminals who are in many cases much better armed and equipped than they are.

It is a testament to their courage that they've gone boldly into the mall regardless of their equipment deficiencies.

This is hopefully the last, dying spasm of Al-Shabab as their bases in Somalia are steadily annihilated by the Kenyan army and AU peacekeepers. Just a shame it had to cost so many innocents their lives.

I hope you are right but they numbered 12-14000 fighters not too long ago and they have no intention if just vanishing. They will just blend into the background and continue their fight from a more clandestine standpoint or perhaps regroup elsewhere and look to gain ground in pastures new.

I hope you are right but they numbered 12-14000 fighters not too long ago and they have no intention if just vanishing. They will just blend into the background and continue their fight from a more clandestine standpoint or perhaps regroup elsewhere and look to gain ground in pastures new.

The Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka numbered some 50-60,000 men at their height, fighting for a slightly more justifiable cause than Islamic extremism (the end of Sinhalese domination over the Tamil minority) while pioneering many of the terrorist techniques in use today. They were ultimately scattered to the four winds by the Sri Lankan military after a long,brutal war, and yesterday the former Tiger-controlled areas had their first local elections, with a Tamil party coming to power and promising a more peaceful path to equality and autonomy, a result accepted by the national government.

It can be done. The likes of Al-Shabab can be defeated. Not by the intervention of some large foreign power in a conflict (India tried to intervene in Sri Lanka in the 80's and quickly left bruised and bloodied) but by decisive action carried out by regional militaries and governments working together, and more importantly, understanding where groups like this emerge from and fighting them in environments understood by and familiar to the forces on the ground.

It is my belief that the AU and Kenya have done in a few years what seemed impossible a decade ago: forcing the extremist Islamists out of their regional strongholds to the barren plains of Somalia, and finally bringing a ray of peace to Mogadishu after a long, long time (there are ice-cream parlors, movie theaters and TEDx talks there now, unimaginable a few years ago). Al-Shabab has been heavily impaired, and as a result has resorted to attacking a mall in Nairobi to pretend that they're still a threat.

That's my view, anyway. What president Kenyatta must not do now is pull his forces away from their hunt for the remnants of Al-Shabab: that would signal that they have won after all.

A good friend of my wife moved to Nairobi just a month ago. She lives six-seven minutes away from this shopping centre. They spoke just last week, and my wife's friend said she felt safe - even in the streets, and particularily in the shopping centre. Thankfully she wasn't there when this happened. Chilling stuff.

The Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka numbered some 50-60,000 men at their height, fighting for a slightly more justifiable cause than Islamic extremism (the end of Sinhalese domination over the Tamil minority) while pioneering many of the terrorist techniques in use today. They were ultimately scattered to the four winds by the Sri Lankan military after a long,brutal war, and yesterday the former Tiger-controlled areas had their first local elections, with a Tamil party coming to power and promising a more peaceful path to equality and autonomy, a result accepted by the national government.

It can be done. The likes of Al-Shabab can be defeated. Not by the intervention of some large foreign power in a conflict (India tried to intervene in Sri Lanka in the 80's and quickly left bruised and bloodied) but by decisive action carried out by regional militaries and governments working together, and more importantly, understanding where groups like this emerge from and fighting them in environments understood by and familiar to the forces on the ground.

It is my belief that the AU and Kenya have done in a few years what seemed impossible a decade ago: forcing the extremist Islamists out of their regional strongholds to the barren plains of Somalia, and finally bringing a ray of peace to Mogadishu after a long, long time (there are ice-cream parlors, movie theaters and TEDx talks there now, unimaginable a few years ago). Al-Shabab has been heavily impaired, and as a result has resorted to attacking a mall in Nairobi to pretend that they're still a threat.

That's my view, anyway. What president Kenyatta must not do now is pull his forces away from their hunt for the remnants of Al-Shabab: that would signal that they have won after all.

I agree that the fight to track them down must continue and I have no doubt it will but the nature of their fight has changed. Their fundamental ideology is for an Islamic State where they dictate the rules under the harshest form of their own Sharia. They have been well schooled in how to elevate their status. Of course no Western or Western backed Government will bow to their demands and if anything these actions will just harden the resolve of their enemy. Their medieval mentality, the zeal, the brainlessness of most of their puppets and their resources mean they will just morph into what we traditionally call Terrorists and the events they plan and action will grow in audacity and evil.

It is a funny old game right now as one arm of largely the same organisation (Al-Qaeda) tries to balance its needs fighting on so many fronts. Egypt, Yemen, Libya, Syria, Somalia, Afghanistan, Pakistan. The ideologies do differ slightly based on the manpower on the ground as we know that some are just happy to let the money talk.

A good friend of my wife moved to Nairobi just a month ago. She lives six-seven minutes away from this shopping centre. They spoke just last week, and my wife's friend said she felt safe - even in the streets, and particularily in the shopping centre. Thankfully she wasn't there when this happened. Chilling stuff.

My wife's Kenyan and we lived together in Nairobi for awhile before coming back to England. Used to go to Westgate all the time, was quite surreal seeing all the pictures and thinking we could have easily been there not so long ago. Horrible.

Hi Guys.
I am fine. I live near Mombasa, on the coast nowadays.
Only visit Nairobi 2/3 times a year.

So, I have been sitting at my rooftop bar having cold beers
and watching the humpback whales go past.

On a serious note, a friend was shot and killed.
I wanted to attend the funeral. But as he was a Muslim, he was buried the next day.
So I couldn't make it.

Hi Guys.

I wanted to attend the funeral. But as he was a Muslim, he was buried the next day.
So I couldn't make it.

Im sorry for your losss but glad your okay, Shows what ****ing idiots they are when they even killed a muslim when they said they would not target them. How is the food there at the moment?

Hi Guys.

So I couldn't make it.

Sorry to hear about your friend mate...

Back