• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nacer Chadli

He doesn't play like a wide man in a 4-2-3-1 (definitely not 4-4-2) more like in a 4-3-3 possibly or second striker. I'm not sure where his best position is - although his performances are slightly more promising than Lamela's.

Can't see him being much of a success as a lone striker, fighting with the CBs for 90 straight minutes. More suited to his current role where can drift around a bit and pop up at the back post.

Can't see him being much of a success as a lone striker, fighting with the CBs for 90 straight minutes. More suited to his current role where can drift around a bit and pop up at the back post.

Don't play him in a lone striker role, pair him up with Kane or Adebayor imo. I'd like to see him and Kane operating as a pair.

I think any of our players would be doing well to get a shag off of Nacer, a fine specimen.

You two! Go to your room. I'll be there too, in a minute...with the truncheon.

I thought that apart from the run for the header in the first half he was invisible until he scored

But his scoring ratio makes him vitally important now as we have no one else looking remotely likely

Great strike that! Like against Villa he really expects to get the ball and doesn't get distracted by the players in front of him.

Really was a great bit of play and ball for Kane's chance early on too, shame we couldn't take advantage as I think it would have been a very different game with us going in front early.

Yeah, Nacer really done well to take on 3 defenders then whip a lovely cross to the far post only for Kane to somehow miss an open goal from about 3 yards out #-o

Can only imagine what difference us taking the lead in the 4th minute would've made to the atmosphere at the ground and thus the player's performances.

A lot of negativity floating around the club now but let's look at one positive we really may have a find in Chadli! 6 goals in 10 in the Premiership well done lad!

In general I am amazed at the players who have been our best this season (aside from Hugo expected) Chadli, Rose, Mason, Kane, Naughton these are all players we thought were on their way out or that would never play a part. Credit to all of them for stepping up

There has been a lot of talk recently about how Chadli has been excellent this season and how when he returns, he will have to force someone out. I personally have not been convinced with him. Sure, he has picked up a lot of goals, but what does he really contribute?

He is not particularly quick, agile, technically gifted in any department (passing, crossing, finishing). He is just a big man with some fairly clever movement in my eyes. Similar to Sig when he was deployed on the left wing - good, reads the game and chips in goals - but not amazing.

However, I haven't seen every game this season - am I missing something?

There has been a lot of talk recently about how Chadli has been excellent this season and how when he returns, he will have to force someone out. I personally have not been convinced with him. Sure, he has picked up a lot of goals, but what does he really contribute?

He is not particularly quick, agile, technically gifted in any department (passing, crossing, finishing). He is just a big man with some fairly clever movement in my eyes. Similar to Sig when he was deployed on the left wing - good, reads the game and chips in goals - but not amazing.

However, I haven't seen every game this season - am I missing something?

6 goals in 10 from attacking midfield, would be very harsh if he didn't keep his place after that.

Physically he has a good combination of a bit of pace (although not rapid) and strength (although he could use his strength better imo). He's very tidy on the ball imo. No exceptional flair like Lamela perhaps, and not the stepovers or quick dribbling of Townsend, but effective and tidy. Needs others around him to also move the ball quickly though. Clever movement like you say, strikes the ball very well and cool in front of goal.

Agree though, not amazing so far. But I just don't see how he can be dropped after scoring almost half our goals before getting injured.

6 goals in 10 from attacking midfield, would be very harsh if he didn't keep his place after that.

Physically he has a good combination of a bit of pace (although not rapid) and strength (although he could use his strength better imo). He's very tidy on the ball imo. No exceptional flair like Lamela perhaps, and not the stepovers or quick dribbling of Townsend, but effective and tidy. Needs others around him to also move the ball quickly though. Clever movement like you say, strikes the ball very well and cool in front of goal.

Agree though, not amazing so far. But I just don't see how he can be dropped after scoring almost half our goals before getting injured.

Cheers, I wasn't suggesting he should be dropped, just wondering whether it was the number goals or quality of performances that were impressing the board. Seems like the former?

Unfortunately I don't think that he will be a first team player in the long term based on what you've said and what I've seen so far. Always useful to have a player with an eye for goal on the bench though. Super-sub role might accentuate his above-average pace too.

Then again if he has been scoring at this rate so far, who knows what he could achieve as a part of a coherent and fluid system!!

Cheers, I wasn't suggesting he should be dropped, just wondering whether it was the number goals or quality of performances that were impressing the board. Seems like the former?

Unfortunately I don't think that he will be a first team player in the long term based on what you've said and what I've seen so far. Always useful to have a player with an eye for goal on the bench though. Super-sub role might accentuate his above-average pace too.

Then again if he has been scoring at this rate so far, who knows what he could achieve as a part of a coherent and fluid system!!

Agreed. And he's still relatively young at 25 and relatively new to the league with 25 PL starts so far. No reason why he can't step it up a level at this stage in his career.

My thoughts are that if we want to play Chadli then we will have to shape the team to accomodate the fact that he doesn't contribute at all defensively.

This either means playing him as our centre forward, or ensuring that at least one and possibly both of the 2 players who play alongside him in the attacking midfield 3 are prepared to put in a real shift in terms of their defensive responsibilities. I think one of our problems at present is that all of our attacking midfield 3 are 'number 10' type players (Ericksen, Kane, Lamela, Chadli). Defending just doesn't come naturally to any of them and we therefore often end up overloaded when our opponents attack.

Personally I think we can only afford to play a maximum of 2 of those 4 at any one time and Lennon needs to come into the team to give it some balance and more solidity defensively on our right hand side. This would probably allow Mason to concentrate more on covering defensively on our left hand side.

i think chadli is meant to be the goal getter hence relieved from defensive duties totally.

but the strikeforce of chadli + ade isn't working and i don't think kane is ready to be that one up top.

if anything i am hoping for chadli to be able to step up to be the one up top replacing ade, so we can fit kane into the no. 10 role.

i think chadli is meant to be the goal getter hence relieved from defensive duties totally.

but the strikeforce of chadli + ade isn't working and i don't think kane is ready to be that one up top.

if anything i am hoping for chadli to be able to step up to be the one up top replacing ade, so we can fit kane into the no. 10 role.

It is fine for Chadli to be relieved of defensive duties - but that then puts a lot of defensive pressure on the two playing alongside him - typically Eriksen and Lamela, where defensive responsibility is not exactly their forte. Granted Lamela in particular puts the effort in to try to do his bit defensively, but you can see it isn't natural for him as often the fullback has pushed on before he notices or he doesn't look to cover his full back if he is placed in a one on one situation.

As I said before I think all of Ericksen, Lamela, Chadli and Kane operate best as a number 10 type player (as did Siggurdson when he was here, probably also Dempsey as well). We are accomodating 3 of the 4 number 10s by playing all of them across our attacking midfield 3.

For me this is evidence of our poor transfer policy over the past couple of years where we have collected a large number of players who operate in the same position as opposed to getting players in positions where we are weak.

Last edited:
It is fine for Chadli to be relieved of defensive duties - but that then puts a lot of defensive pressure on the two playing alongside him - typically Eriksen and Lamela, where defensive responsibility is not exactly their forte. Granted Lamela in particular puts the effort in to try to do his bit defensively, but you can see it isn't natural for him as often the fullback has pushed on before he notices or he doesn't look to cover his full back if he is placed in a one on one situation.

As I said before I think all of Ericksen, Lamela, Chadli and Kane operate best as a number 10 type player (as did Siggurdson when he was here, probably also Dempsey as well). We are accomodating 3 of the 4 number 10s by playing all of them across our attacking midfield 3.

For me this is evidence of our poor transfer policy over the past couple of years where we have collected a large number of players who operate in the same position as opposed to getting players in positions where we are weak.

Agree.

CluelessWellgroomedLark.gif

Not the best attempt at a save I've ever seen.

Inverted wingers... Who would have thunk it. :p

Great little ball from Eriksen to find him in space. Eriksen was the one creating the initial situation too iirc. Good run from Chadli, our players are capable of stuff like that if we can just find them in a bit of space around the box.

Back