• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nabil Bentaleb

I think all it tells that Poch just didn't believe in him and he was wrong letting Bentaleb go. But that's life. I just hope Poch learns something from this.

I think all it tells that Poch just didn't believe in him and he was wrong letting Bentaleb go. But that's life. I just hope Poch learns something from this.

Not so sure that Poch didn't believe in Bentaleb, but he wasn't able to commit to giving him regular starts either. And if the rumours/ITK (yeah, I know) have any basis in truth, then a player giving Poch an ultimatum of "play me or I'll look elsewhere" is probably not conducive to keeping in your manager's good books - nor to squad harmony had Poch given in.
Is there anything for Poch to learn from this? I don't think so really. I do sense a stubborn streak in Poch which maybe over time he might need to temper, but in this case I don't think he made a bad decision.

All total speculation of course, we will probably never know for sure what happened behind the scenes.
I'm pleased for Bentaleb that it is working out for him at Schalke and sorry for us and him that things didn't work out at Spurs.
But as you say, that's life.

Not so sure that Poch didn't believe in Bentaleb, but he wasn't able to commit to giving him regular starts either. And if the rumours/ITK (yeah, I know) have any basis in truth, then a player giving Poch an ultimatum of "play me or I'll look elsewhere" is probably not conducive to keeping in your manager's good books - nor to squad harmony had Poch given in.
Is there anything for Poch to learn from this? I don't think so really. I do sense a stubborn streak in Poch which maybe over time he might need to temper, but in this case I don't think he made a bad decision.

All total speculation of course, we will probably never know for sure what happened behind the scenes.
I'm pleased for Bentaleb that it is working out for him at Schalke and sorry for us and him that things didn't work out at Spurs.
But as you say, that's life.
Ferguson and Wenger are both stubborn and have both let very talented players go whose attitude doesn't fit or who doesn't fit the system. Who do you think has more to learn from this situation? An experienced manager who has played football at the highest level with some of the finest players in the world and then coached and developed youngsters like lallana, Shaw, Rodrigues, Kane and Alli or a very young player who has played a handful of seasons and who has thrown away a chance to play in the premier league?

Ferguson and Wenger are both stubborn and have both let very talented players go whose attitude doesn't fit or who doesn't fit the system. Who do you think has more to learn from this situation? An experienced manager who has played football at the highest level with some of the finest players in the world and then coached and developed youngsters like lallana, Shaw, Rodrigues, Kane and Alli or a very young player who has played a handful of seasons and who has thrown away a chance to play in the premier league?

Totally agree with you. My comment about Poch and stubborness wasn't meant to imply he did the wrong thing with Bentaleb (in fact I think I said that).

We have the best manager we have had for a long time, he decided that Bentaleb was not good enough ( for WHATEVER reasons) and decided to cut him loose. Time to move on or are we going to get some saying Poch was wrong ( made a mistake) every time Bentaleb makes a good pass.

For all the promise he's shown and good things he's done so far Poch isn't a great deal further along in his development as a manager than Bentaleb is as a player, neither have really proven anything over a long enough period yet like the names mentioned above. It's also a little premature to say Bentaleb's thrown away(why the implication that it's his own fault?) a chance to play in the Premier League. It's not as though he's ended up in League 1, he's playing for a big club in Germany and excelling, if he continues to do so then it wouldn't be a massive surprise to see him back in this country in the future. Only time will tell as to who(if indeed either) will learn more from this, I'm sure many wouldn't have thought Mourinho would be the one to learn anything from letting a similarly young and eager player in De Bruyne leave for Germany but look how their respective careers have gone since.

Last edited:
Yeah. No.

Pochettino is making discernible progress taking Spurs into Champions League level.

Bentaleb is playing for the club that Bayern fans comically refer to as The Sausage Eaters.

And that would be the scuffling 12th place Sausage Eaters. They're playing better of late and maybe it's because of his improved efforts, which will only help Spurs nick a better transfer fee. But he's where he belongs for now.

He's a talent and can play higher up, but he can't be trusted deep. Those suicidal passes... and even in that article it says this:

In mid-September, he gave the ball away against Hertha Berlin to gift them a second goal that sealed a 2-0 victory. A week later at Hoffenheim, he lost the ball again resulting in another winning goal for the opposition.

Since that defeat to Hoffenheim, results have improved for both Bentaleb and Schalke. The club are now up to 11th and through to the Europa League knockout stages after a nine-game unbeaten run in all competitions. Playing a vital role in that improvement, Bentaleb is grateful for the support of coach Markus Weinzierl.

“He put me back on the line and I think I showed that he could trust me. Listen, I’m 21-years-old and I’m willing to learn. I have a lot of things to improve and I hope I will improve even above my expectations.”

Back