• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Moussa Sissoko

Poor...
he can do a job against teams that attack but not remain thag Park the caravan
Exactly... I don't know what makes Poch think it's a good idea to play him in games against teams you know will sit deep with ten men behind the ball. What does he see in Sissoko that we don't see? Or does he just think we should be able to win despite Sissoko?

Sissoko doesn't have one creative bone in his body. If you gave him a sheet of paper and some crayons and asked him to express himself, he'd write his name and probably misspell it.

does know-one feel we are playing him to be able to sell him?

I don't feel Poch would do this? but its the only explanation I can see for him getting so much game time. The man is utter rubbish.

Exactly... I don't know what makes Poch think it's a good idea to play him in games against teams you know will sit deep with ten men behind the ball. What does he see in Sissoko that we don't see? Or does he just think we should be able to win despite Sissoko?

Sissoko doesn't have one creative bone in his body. If you gave him a sheet of paper and some crayons and asked him to express himself, he'd write his name and probably misspell it.

He’s quick and never stops working, he disrupts the opposition, always shows for an out ball and is happy to drop into cover, it’s just a small example but he broke up an attack tonight finding himself as last man, Sanchez would have been in trouble had Sissoko made the same effort to get goal side that Verts and Dier did, as it was the two of them sorted it out.

We see the downsides sure but I bet he’s consistently ticking the boxes of the to do list Poch gives him.

We all saw the pass straight off the pitch tonight, it looked awful, but we don’t know what the play was, maybe it was just a shocking pass, but maybe Aurier ran the wrong route?

I don't feel Poch would do this? but its the only explanation I can see for him getting so much game time. The man is utter rubbish.

He's only got so much game time because Wanyama has been out and Dembele is constantly injured. Wanyama is back now. Replace Dembele and Sissoko won't get a look in (I am expecting Sissoko out and replacement in, in the summer). Sissoko has done a job, sometimes he's done pretty well. Other times, like tonight, he was just terrible and literally getting in the way when we attacked. Poch's made the best of a bad situation with him, but he surely knows Sissoko is not the answer.

He’s quick and never stops working, he disrupts the opposition, always shows for an out ball and is happy to drop into cover, it’s just a small example but he broke up an attack tonight finding himself as last man, Sanchez would have been in trouble had Sissoko made the same effort to get goal side that Verts and Dier did, as it was the two of them sorted it out.

We see the downsides sure but I bet he’s consistently ticking the boxes of the to do list Poch gives him.

We all saw the pass straight off the pitch tonight, it looked awful, but we don’t know what the play was, maybe it was just a shocking pass, but maybe Aurier ran the wrong route?
He's quick if he can run in a straight line on a motorway with no traffic, but he's not very quick in a tight area where he has to change direction.

I did notice the incident when he got us out of trouble by tracking back, but in general, in these types of games, he just doesn't give us enough going forward. He never creates anything, he never scores, he's basically a waste of a man. Players like Dier and Wanyama don't create much either, but I can see why you'd want one player there protecting the defense. Dier/Wanyama + Sissoko and you have two players in midfield who are highly unlikely to create anything, and that's one too many for me.

That's exactly what I said when watching the game. I know Dembele has been poor by his standards this season and Winks is still raw but anyone with half a brain can see they still offer more than Sissoko. I don't blame Poch for playing him when he literally doesn't have anyone else but he should not be starting any games with Wanyama, Winks and Dembele all back and fit or 70% fit in Dembele's case.

Worse than that, he actually breaks forward past the line, only to pass back through it.

So there's been no vertical penetration at all (fnar) and now there's a player out of position.
I don't get it, he appears to totally lack confidence with the ball so much so that his biggest contribution to our play is to pass the ball back to the player who's passed to him before pointing to where it should go.

Last edited:
thankfully I didn't see today's match. I would be totally hairless. I had a quick look at the goal. Sissoko, whose defensive strength(!) now is his only asset as he totally fails offensively, was slow to react and never closed down his man.

I'd rather have Paulinho anno 2015 than Sissoko anno 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018. We sent the wrong player to Aston Villa. Give us Onomah!

I don't get it, he appears to totally lack confidence with the ball so much so that his biggest contribution to our play is to pass the ball back to the player who's passed to him before pointing to where it should go.

Indeed. It's kind of painful to see. I sort of feel for the guy. But you need some basic skills in football to be able to get confident, and siss just lack them, it seems. He looks so incredibly fragile and uncomfortable on the ball. Why he keeps getting game time is beyond me at this point.

Thought he played in a very strange position last night. For most of the match he played behind Aurier and just seemed to be there to receive a pass from Sanchez and move the ball onto Aurier. Most of the time there was no need for him to be there as Sanchez could have passed directly to Aurier. I can't believe this was the position Poch intended him to play and it was strange that he wasn't taken off earlier.

The game was crying out for either Dembele's dribbling and/or Winks forward passing whereas Sissoko was literally a waste of space.

That this ever actually ever happens at this level of football is the biggest myth ever. People claimed this at the start of the season too, anything but deal with the fact that whether you agree or not Poch actually likes to play him....

Before the game I would have said basically what @galeforce said. Sissoko in a game like that should be there just to chase down breaks that catch us out and clear them up. He has the physicality to sit at the base of midfield and just take care of those issues the few times they arise.

I was totally fine with that concept.

Then during the game, holy fudge, what was he doing?

Dier and Sissoko were replaced by Wanyama, and he did a better job alone than they did together.

I think Wanyamas contribution in the last couple of games really does put to bed any defence of Sissoko.

Back