• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Moussa Sissoko

So let me just clarify: you believe there are NO pundits in the TV, print or other broadcast media that are decent at all?
There are some that are interesting, there are some for whom I have respect as players or managers. It's been a long time since one of them said anything of value that hadn't or couldn't be said by someone who hasn't played professionally.

The likes of Souness are interesting, because they tinkle the other pundits off so much.

Hoddle obviously has a career worthy of respect, as does (spit) Henry. Shearer too.

Interesting...

Out of interest you said it "has been a long time since one of them said anything of value that hadn't or couldn't be said by someone who hasn't played professionally."
Could you elaborate on when this was, what was said and by whom?

I would agree with most of that.

The upshot of which being, if a pundit says that Sissoko had a good game, it has little to no bearing on whether he actually did have a good game or not.
A segue to Sissoko :).
He is doing better, you can't deny that. I'm not his biggest fan by a long shot but I think he can be a useful player in a title challenge/top 4 challenge. I would say he is contributing in the absence of better players and I can live with that. And maybe his current level might be say 6/10. That's good enough for me until Wanyama/Dembele get back.

He's doin' good. Not great, but pretty fcukin' decent.

Not expecting him to plant worldies top shelf, but to put himself about energetically, leave a few marks when he battles for the ball and get the other side running hard back into their own end as he takes it forward. No complaints so far.

Interesting...

Out of interest you said it "has been a long time since one of them said anything of value that hadn't or couldn't be said by someone who hasn't played professionally."
Could you elaborate on when this was, what was said and by whom?
It's been so long I don't remember. That's the state of punditry now - has been for at least as long as Sky has been involved.

A segue to Sissoko :).
He is doing better, you can't deny that. I'm not his biggest fan by a long shot but I think he can be a useful player in a title challenge/top 4 challenge. I would say he is contributing in the absence of better players and I can live with that. And maybe his current level might be say 6/10. That's good enough for me until Wanyama/Dembele get back.
This is pretty much where we are at.

And expectations going forward could be, playing to that very high standard he has very occasionally done for France and Saudi Sportswashing Machine but on a regular basis, or returning to the footballer who looks devoid of confidence and even lacking some of the basic skills to play the game.
Or perhaps he will bob along putting in the kind of performances he has in recent games. Certainly not looking out of place but certainly not in anyone's starting 11 if everyone is fit.

Poch will see that he has picked himself up off the floor, and if anyone can, it is our manager that can eek a little more out.

This is pretty much where we are at.

And expectations going forward could be, playing to that very high standard he has very occasionally done for France and Saudi Sportswashing Machine but on a regular basis, or returning to the footballer who looks devoid of confidence and even lacking some of the basic skills to play the game.
Or perhaps he will bob along putting in the kind of performances he has in recent games. Certainly not looking out of place but certainly not in anyone's starting 11 if everyone is fit.

Poch will see that he has picked himself up off the floor, and if anyone can, it is our manager that can eek a little more out.

Poch is a mouse, you say?

You play to your audience. TV pundits have a target audience which requires them hit a lowest common denominator really. Their analysis is intentionally simple and doesn't even get to the tactical level of premier school boy football. Does a pro that has played the game for 20 years know a bit more than Joe Bloggs on the internet? Of course they do, but whether they have the ability or inclination to impart that knowledge is a different question. And whether their employers want them to is probably not debatable at this stage. They don't. Keep it simple seems to be the direction and understandably so considering their audience I would say.

IMO there are those that can talk and those that know, and the venn diagram of this union is probably pretty small. Good managers would fall into this join I guess. Robbie Savage is on the left. Those small few that know and can communicate their ideas are not likely to do so on TV if truth be told, but in reality there are plenty who know football very very well.
(just not many on this forum...kidding)

While I agree in the main, I also look at the likes of Soccer Saturday and the selection they have on there week to week and, well...

... they are all fudging idiots arent they?

Paul Merson isnt dumbing down for anyone, he is doing his level best. Charlie Nicholas has literally NOTHING to say, and I certainly dont think its because he is holding back. Phil Thompson was a respected coach, even managed well in Houlliers absence, and he offers no insight whatsoever...

If there is a management of content, making it simple, cliche and pandering to the masses then its not by these people - more likely its by those above choosing people to suit. Which, itself, is pretty damning of said pundits. I dont think any are really holding back for our benefit, I think they are doing their best.

That said, I certainly dont think all of them are bad. Just "most". There are those that can offer genuine insight, and do when they get the chance, its just they are very few and far between.

So, on balance, I take pundits views with very little credibility - save for the occassions its a view from one I have respect for.

As to narrative, thats sports journalism more than punditry. ALL sports hacks have an agenda. Petty rivalry, selling papers, keeping their contacts happy... It is extremely rare to read any column written by them and not see it as utter turd. As for the sunday supplement...

IMO there are those that can talk and those that know, and the venn diagram of this union is probably pretty small. Good managers would fall into this join I guess. Robbie Savage is on the left. Those small few that know and can communicate their ideas are not likely to do so on TV if truth be told, but in reality there are plenty who know football very very well.
(just not many on this forum...kidding)

Good point overall ( especially the bolded bit), having worked with young players (who are good enough to progress into the game for a living) i can definitely say they are generally not the brightest light in the box. However there are exceptions but alas most of them do not have to resort to being pundits to make a living.

As for the bolded bit you only have to hear some fans at the games and quite a lot of armchairs supporters who slag off managers for various team selections to see that. There is nothing wrong with folks disagreeing with team selection but some of the comments you hear/read are well over the top.

Are we actually discussing whether pundits are wrong to be saying Sissoko has improved? I get the whole idea that pundits, by and large, are terrible. But I don't think anyone is saying his improvement is 'proven' by pundits, simply that most fans, media and pundits can all see it. The fact that pundits are by and large useless doesn't invalidate the idea that he has actually improved.

He is improving but i don't get the hype of this improvement.

He is just not making as many errors but still didn't look like a footballer.

His goal was how i thought it would go in.

His control is shocking and looks clumsy.

I DONT want any spurs player to fail and was even desperate for george bung Graham to succeed.

However being good at shin ball is not the same as being a football payer ... a professional one of that.

I've been called boring upon my views. But I'm judging him as a footballer not as a spurs player.

Are we actually discussing whether pundits are wrong to be saying Sissoko has improved? I get the whole idea that pundits, by and large, are terrible. But I don't think anyone is saying his improvement is 'proven' by pundits, simply that most fans, media and pundits can all see it. The fact that pundits are by and large useless doesn't invalidate the idea that he has actually improved.
Exactly - this all started because I said his improvement isnt just being recognised by our fans but the media too. Never said the fact pundits recognising his involvement on its own proved hes doing better....

He is improving but i don't get the hype of this improvement.

He is just not making as many errors but still didn't look like a footballer.

His goal was how i thought it would go in.

His control is shocking and looks clumsy.

I DONT want any spurs player to fail and was even desperate for george bung Graham to succeed.

However being good at shin ball is not the same as being a football payer ... a professional one of that.

I've been called boring upon my views. But I'm judging him as a footballer not as a spurs player.
The 'hype' of his improvement has to be reinforced because of posters like you practically making things up about Sissoko.

This thing about 'shin ball' is nothing but a myth. You talk about his goal and criticise his control, but if you knew anything about playing football you'd know that how he had to control that spinning ball in the first place required skill, and if his control was as bad as you imply he wouldnt of even had the chance to score as the ball would have rebounded out of play when he tried to control it....

Back