• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mousa Dembele

I like Dembele a lot, he's been amazing lately, but he was awful today. Personally I'd have taken off Townsend at HT but couldn't argue with it. But yeah, one bad game, as long as it's not a regular thing in his new position he has a place in our squad into the future

Definitely this. Mare today but has abilities above and beyond a lot of others and if nothing else then maybe he can pass on his ball retention/close quarter skills to some of the others (Lamela being a case in point)

It is as simple as that really, he had a bad game the team had a bad game. Move on. Things get over analysed to death on here at times, like in any industries there are times when you have a bad day at the office. Just dust yourself off and start again. COYS

Problem is that he has too many days in the office where he just doesnt show up and events just pass him by. The guy is 28 this summer so in his peak years and he really should be influencing far more games than he does. Its easier to tolerate games passing, say Lamela, by given he's younger and less experience of the PL but Dembele has been in the PL for 5 years and has over 60 international caps....if he doesnt have consistency now then he never will

Odd that in an overall disappointing 75-game career with us, some people are calling this bad performance the anomaly, rather than the 3 good ones!

He has put in some fantastic performances recently, in particular against l'arse and the dippers. Bad day today but it happens. He is an important player for us, he offers strength in the middle of the park, I agree with Rorschach let's not beat him up too much.

I think that is important.

For me he's a good defensive option against better sides (whereas the attacking option is the Chadli-Eriksen-Lamela trio).

He's good against better sides because we need more rest-bite and someone who, when we get the ball, hangs onto it. However against weaker teams (all but the others in the top 6) where we have more possession, he just gets in the way and breaks up our attacking play

Problem is that he has too many days in the office where he just doesnt show up and events just pass him by. The guy is 28 this summer so in his peak years and he really should be influencing far more games than he does. Its easier to tolerate games passing, say Lamela, by given he's younger and less experience of the PL but Dembele has been in the PL for 5 years and has over 60 international caps....if he doesnt have consistency now then he never will

I don't think his career with us has been as bad as made out anyway. But I was referring since he has played in a more advanced role under Poch he has looked good....

If Dembele gets tackled the fist 2 times he receives the ball you may as well take him off. As soon as the opposition have his number he will lose the ball 9 times out of 10. It doesnt happen very often but certain players / teams have his number and when that happens he is a waste of a position.

most of the time he will have th ebeating of the other team but you know within 5 minutes that a game like yesterdya will happen.

I cant take this thread seriously any more.

Why is that? Because not every one agrees with you. Given his technique and physique, Dembele SHOULD be dominating matches. The reality is that he has been underwhelming. But oh... remember the video of his performance against United. Flatters to deceive. Worthy of a place on the bench, but that is all. He has had more than enough chances to cement his place in the side. The trouble with the fan boys is that they describe a performance that they want to see, rather than the performance that occurs.

Criticism and praise of Dembele are so extreme on this board. He had a very poor game, off the back of 3 very decent games. Still offers us a lot. Dembele made a horrendous error. It all actually began from Mason dawdling on the ball and then conceding an unnecessary free kick.
Dembele struggled with just how packed it was in that midfield area. Eriksen is superb at finding pockets, completely different strengths.

Think Dembele should definitely play v Fiorentina. Think he might have a big game off the back of this one

Why is that? Because not every one agrees with you. Given his technique and physique, Dembele SHOULD be dominating matches. The reality is that he has been underwhelming. But oh... remember the video of his performance against United. Flatters to deceive. Worthy of a place on the bench, but that is all. He has had more than enough chances to cement his place in the side. The trouble with the fan boys is that they describe a performance that they want to see, rather than the performance that occurs.

I don't mind that people don't agree. This is a discussion board after all and it is why I enjoy this place. I come here to read and debate the opposite point of view, but when posters start making up numbers that bear no relation to reality then any debate really is pointless.
The fan boy jibe doesn't engender much discussion now either does it?

Edit: And actually if you read my posts in this thread I agree with your general point that he should be doing better. I just think the negative comments are too extreme and bordering on the ridiculous at times.

Last edited:

He won't though because he lacks the mental capacities to go with them. No vision, creativity or judgement.

You can anticipate someone like Townsend will learn those things (especially with his commitment to self-improvement), but at 28 it's too late to train Dembele out of playground football.

Think Dembele should definitely play v Fiorentina. Think he might have a big game off the back of this one

If we had a goal lead to protect, I would definitely start him.

But as we need to score at least one (re away goals), we've got to go with our best attacking trio - Chadli, Eriksen and Lamela

I don't mind that people don't agree. This is a discussion board after all and it is why I enjoy this place. I come here to read and debate the opposite point of view, but when posters start making up numbers that bear no relation to reality then any debate really is pointless.
The fan boy jibe doesn't engender much discussion now either does it?

Edit: And actually if you read my posts in this thread I agree with your general point that he should be doing better. I just think the negative comments are too extreme and bordering on the ridiculous at times.

Sorry, the fan boy line was not specifically aimed at you, but I understand why you think it might have been. poor writing on my part.

Back