• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mousa Dembele

Pitch size is an interesting debate - why isn't there a set size for the top leagues at least? Or smaller variations? When the size of the pitch affects team's tactics, giving som an advantage and others a disadvantage, surely it would be of everyone's interest to agree on a fixed size?

Today the variatons are huge, according to FIFA's laws of the game. The goal line can be everything from 45 to 90 meters (!), while the touch line can be everything from 90 to 120 meters. That means one week you can play on a 90 x 45 m pitch (4050 sq m), while the next week you're on a 120 x 90 m pitch (10800 sq m). That's taking it to the extreme, but it's a massive, massive difference, and theoretically it could happen.

I think a few metres in difference is fine, but a theoretical, allowed difference in pitch size of 6750 sq m (273 percent!) is a little over the top, IMO.

Stoke used to have the minimum allowed width for league games under Pulis. Much easier to constrict play with 2 walls of 5 and try to get set pieces. In Europe the rules are different as I seem to recall seeing remnants of lines at the weekends the season they were in the EL.

Pitch size is an interesting debate - why isn't there a set size for the top leagues at least? Or smaller variations? When the size of the pitch affects team's tactics, giving som an advantage and others a disadvantage, surely it would be of everyone's interest to agree on a fixed size?

Today the variatons are huge, according to FIFA's laws of the game. The goal line can be everything from 45 to 90 meters (!), while the touch line can be everything from 90 to 120 meters. That means one week you can play on a 90 x 45 m pitch (4050 sq m), while the next week you're on a 120 x 90 m pitch (10800 sq m). That's taking it to the extreme, but it's a massive, massive difference, and theoretically it could happen.

I think a few metres in difference is fine, but a theoretical, allowed difference in pitch size of 6750 sq m (273 percent!) is a little over the top, IMO.

Whilst I think pitch size, to a degree, plays a part in the way a team plays, we dont really help ourselves by playing the high line. The high line, whilst works defensively doesnt work in the attacking sense - it compresses play to half the size of a pitch, and this where the pitch size doesnt play a role as far as im concerned.

If we want to make the pitch bigger, we have to adopt a different approach, especially at home, and this means dropping back a few yards.

Whilst I think pitch size, to a degree, plays a part in the way a team plays, we dont really help ourselves by playing the high line. The high line, whilst works defensively doesnt work in the attacking sense - it compresses play to half the size of a pitch, and this where the pitch size doesnt play a role as far as im concerned.

If we want to make the pitch bigger, we have to adopt a different approach, especially at home, and this means dropping back a few yards.

on the money =D>

the size of the pitch was never a problem when Bale was tearing teams to shreds in his wing days

that cant be right? you can play on a square pitch 90M x 90M?

After watching his sub appearance this weekend it got me thinking what has happened to the Mouss? He looks a total different player than the one we signed last season. The first half of last season he was a revelation, taking players on trying to get into the box to make things happen either by dribble or telling pass. Now he simply doesn't seem to do much of anything for us. He has had a few good games but for the most part he seems content to just sit deep and play square balls or back passes. The thing is he is not playing as a defensive midfielder, often times with Sandro and Paulinho he seems to be the one with the license to get forward but simply doesn't.

So is this on AVB? Has he instructed him to play this conservative role or is this just a case of Mouss lacking in confidence or poor form? He used to be one name on the team sheet that would get me excited and now its the exact opposite as it usually dictates a negative change or formation

He's always been the same in my view. He looked a revelation last year because he was simply next to Sandro and they were the best midfield partnership in the whole league for the opening months. Sandro got injured and he just hasnt been the same, mainly because he was partnered next to Parker yet still played deeper of the two. He has had a few good games this year, mainly Chelsea at home but when he's not next to Sandro he simply isnt at his best.

I once saw Dembele crack in a beautiful last minute goal to win a UEFA tie against Lyon.

Mind you, on the weekend I saw Scott Parker play a perfect through ball with the outside of his foot, so anything can happen.

That pass from Parker was a thing of beauty, I think I remember seeing him play a few of those whilst at West Ham, but never that adventurous with us

That pass from Parker was a thing of beauty, I think I remember seeing him play a few of those whilst at West Ham, but never that adventurous with us

there were one or two from him here but I'd be lying if I told you I could say what games and when, but he definitely did.

with paulinho, dembele has been asked to play a deeper role
less exciting given that all he does is lay off a pass sideways after beating a player

He has always flatterd to deceive. Looks magic, but is completely ineffectual. Makes Jenas look like Glenn Hoddle in terms of result impact. I would like to see him out the door in Jan to partially fund a genuine goal scoring mid fielder.

Makes Jenas look like Glenn Hoddle in terms of result impact.

Wow! Takes the word "Miao" to a whole new level......but I will be watching the Mous carefully to see what truth there is in your view...certainly agree that he is a different player when partnered with Sandro, and that the Dembele / Paulinho partnership leaves much to desire from a goalscoring perspective.

that cant be right? you can play on a square pitch 90M x 90M?

Probably not, but have a look at the rules in the link - they clearly state the minimum and maximim size for the pitch size. It's a ridiculously big difference.

He has always flatterd to deceive. Looks magic, but is completely ineffectual. Makes Jenas look like Glenn Hoddle in terms of result impact. I would like to see him out the door in Jan to partially fund a genuine goal scoring mid fielder.

I am starting to agree. He looks wonderful when he dips a shoulder and glides past a player, but that's where it ends. He will 99% of the time play backwards/sideways or run into a dead end.

I personally believe it is a confidence issue (as it was with Jenas).

I am starting to agree. He looks wonderful when he dips a shoulder and glides past a player, but that's where it ends. He will 99% of the time play backwards/sideways or run into a dead end.

I personally believe it is a confidence issue (as it was with Jenas).

I think you are right on the confidence aspect of Dembele's play (Jenas' problem was not lack confidence IMHO but that is a different thread entirely ;)). It's like his muscle memory can get him past players at will, but then after he is reluctant to even try a speculative pass or shot most times. I don't mind a player trying something ambitious on occasion but Dembele is playing safe far too often.
I actually I think the 'play it safe' ethos is pervading the squad at the moment, except for Townsend who hasn't read the memo yet apparently.

I think you are right on the confidence aspect of Dembele's play (Jenas' problem was not lack confidence IMHO but that is a different thread entirely ;)). It's like his muscle memory can get him past players at will, but then after he is reluctant to even try a speculative pass or shot most times. I don't mind a player trying something ambitious on occasion but Dembele is playing safe far too often.
I actually I think the 'play it safe' ethos is pervading the squad at the moment, except for Townsend who hasn't read the memo yet apparently.

And Chiriches who doesn't give any ****s.

on the money =D>

the size of the pitch was never a problem when Bale was tearing teams to shreds in his wing days

Strange one.

I remember Bale being significantly better when we were allowed to counter attack and when being denied space by teams double marking him he suffered a lot of the same problems we've seen this season. Even last season he had several games where he was completely anonymous apart from his wonder strikes. More space could easily have allowed him to be better imo.

Of course he was a brilliant player, and when given bit of space he was able to exploit it better than most of our current players, but that's not the same as saying that a smaller pitch was never a problem.

Back