• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mousa Dembele

No one has explained why he is being played in a forward role when he has none of the atributes needed for such a role. Yes he can dribble, so why isnt he being used deeper? Failure to shoot and pass are not confidence issues because he has played in exactly the same vein ever since he started here.

Because everyone seems to want us to play 4-3-3, and without a dedicated no.10 he needs to take on more attacking responsibility in that system.

It has become very apparent imo that Mousa can only play as deep lying Cm in a 3 man midfield problem is unless we play Holtby or now Eriksen we have nobody willing to get forward to make telling passes or shoot. The odd thing is Mousa is a converted forward, so one would think he would still have it in his locker to pop up with the odd goal or decisive pass.

When he first came to us to now he is a totally different player. I am not sure if he was coached to play more defensive but it doesn't appear that way because the way we have set up to start season he is the one with most license to get forward.

Whatever the reason form, talent etc.. he should not be starting for us right now because he is giving us absolutely nothing going forward and actually worse he is losing the ball in dangerous positions with sloppy dribbling.

Thought Mousa was fantastic when he came on today. I see in the chalkboard thread he was 35/37 passes completed.

Honestly, I've been watching football since the early 80's and I can't honestly think of any player I've ever seen who retains possession, roles off tackles and glides past players that way Dembele does. It's a pretty unique sight.

Dembele: Life’s a pitch for Spurs at White Hart Lane - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Journal
...At 100m long, the Lilywhites’ turf is five metres shorter than the playing area at Old Trafford, the Emirates, the Etihad and eight other clubs. And, with a width of 67m, it is one metre narrower than the majority of Premier League pitches.

“It’s not easy for us,” said Dembele. “We know that teams are going to come here and make a block, and we don’t have a big pitch so it’s even more difficult.

“I think we have to find a way to make it easier for us. I think the gaffer will talk with us as well because we always have a bit of difficulty with these kinds of teams.

“We speak about it - yesterday everyone was saying ‘wow, it’s unbelievable, everybody’s playing like this against us’. But it’s not only us, these kinds of teams do this against every top team.

“We know we have a small pitch so it makes it even more difficult. If we have more space it’s easier for us, but we have to find a way.

“I think it’s maybe a bit easier for us [away from home]. Last year as well, a lot of the time we had difficulty against teams like this [Hull]. We almost never win comfortably in these kinds of games - but I think we have a lot of quality and there must be a way to find it [the solution], and I think we will.”

Following yesterday’s game, Villas-Boas rounded on Tottenham’s fans, stating that his team faced Hull in “a difficult atmosphere with almost no support”.

Dembele said: “It’s not something that makes it easier, but we understand as well that they [the fans] are still a bit frustrated from the previous game against West Ham, and we were very disappointed as well.

“We didn’t like it either because we want to win every game. At the moment it’s very difficult to play these kinds of games, so we have to find a way.”

Thought Mousa was fantastic when he came on today. I see in the chalkboard thread he was 35/37 passes completed.

Honestly, I've been watching football since the early 80's and I can't honestly think of any player I've ever seen who retains possession, roles off tackles and glides past players that way Dembele does. It's a pretty unique sight.

Guy shields the ball amazingly well.

To me, what holds Dembele back from being absolute top class is his final decision making, sometimes he just tries to go a little too far and runs into a wall of defenders. He's got to look for a good mix of run with it, pass early, shoot, mix it up, be less predictable.

Guy shields the ball amazingly well.

To me, what holds Dembele back from being absolute top class is his final decision making, sometimes he just tries to go a little too far and runs into a wall of defenders. He's got to look for a good mix of run with it, pass early, shoot, mix it up, be less predictable.

Honestly if he added the ability to shoot, score more and make better decisions this guy would be one of the best midfielders in the world. Still think he is a fantastic player.

Honestly if he added the ability to shoot, score more and make better decisions this guy would be one of the best midfielders in the world. Still think he is a fantastic player.

Dunno why his shooting has been so poor for us as Dembele used to be a forward and managed to score 18 goals in 44 games back in 08/09, perhaps it's a confidence issue and he'll suddenly fulfil his attacking potential like Ramsey seems to be doing this season. Still a very good player nonetheless and his partnership with Sandro last season was truly formidable.

Small pitch? Blah blah blah! Top teams say nothing and win games seems it's already October and already our teams got that defeatist attitude coming out with excuses.

Maybe it is? So what? They're paid enough if someone in the stands sighing effects their game maybe they should genuinely think of a career change!

Maybe maybe not. I can't comment I don't have tens of thousands of people "sighing" every time I do something wrong only the misses and she won't let me film.

Small pitch? Blah blah blah! Top teams say nothing and win games seems it's already October and already our teams got that defeatist attitude coming out with excuses.

So you are saying the other clubs having a bigger pitch gives them no advantage what so ever?

Mousa seems to be the mouthpiece of the squad.

Last term he was considered indispensable. This term not so much. He needs to be dangerous. Right now he he goes forward and nears the opposition box he is like Parker-nuffink.

Have to say I'd put Ardiles ahead of him. Modric was pretty tidy too.

Yep, averaging just over 2 points per game is so poor and our players pointing out reasons why they think it's difficult to improve is really defeatist.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22646131 thought this was intresting on pitch sizes.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Fapatalk 4

Nevin does make a good point and looking through www.premierleague.com/content/dam/p...handbooks/premier-league-handbook-2013-14.pdf we are one of only 7 clubs to not have a pitch meeting the new UEFA regulations of 105 x 68 metres (115 x 74 yards) which is a total area of 7,140m² (8,539yd²)

Our pitch is currently 100 x 67 metres (109 x 73 yards) for a total area of 6,700m² (8,013yd²) which means that Old Trafford / Etihad / Emirates pitches have 526yd² (the equivalent of almost 2 penalty areas) worth of extra turf for their players to exploit against teams which park the bus.

Last edited:
Back