• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Motorcycle thread

Wow, that's an impressive line-up mate! Guzzi 850 Le Mans has always been one of my favourite bikes. How does it ride?

The Moto Guzzi 850? 1980's when I used one. A long time ago, but from memory: low (ish) seat height, bit heavy, low centre of gravity, good for short-arses, not bad grunt for a late 1970's shaft drive 850 twin. Reasonable handling. A touch of class. Prescence. Pretty. I guess a good one will appreciate in value now, being a classic. Lovely engine, frame, brakes, looks... but questionable electrics and some build quality. The Yamaha XS750/850 triples I had at the time would knock spots off it for performance, but they didn't look as nice, or have Moto Guzzi on the tank. Plus the Yamahas handled like a pig. I wish I had ridden the Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans. I bet that was something.....

My mate paid just over a grand for a purple/white 1975 Triumph Trident triple 750 last year. He has spent c. £3,000 on the engine. Its now immaculate, and he reckons its worth £20k! He had a 1980 Ducati 900 Darmah which got totalled by an 84 year-old, OAP, who decided to roll out at a junction whilst gassing to passenger and not looking. Years ago. Then his Ducati 748 got trashed too (his fault) so he is keeping his lives left and not having mega performance machines any more. Much to his wifes' approval!

Back in the mid 1980's another mate got hold of an old Triumph 350 twin. With an ugly fairing on it. The cops used them late 1960's/early 1970's. It had been in a ditch for donkey's years. He spent years doing it up. A complete strip, rebuild and makeover to original. It, no kid, was better than when it was new. Totally immaculate and stunning job. Deep chroming etc etc. He wouldn't take it out if there was any chance of rain! Usually used his old nail of an MZ250, which - incidentally - he used a nail instead of a key to turn the ignition on! Street cred, huh!

To those that are not bike-minded, not all bikes suit everyone, and thats massively true and important. Your height and build/weight are very important to marry to the correct bike. I got a brand new Kawasaki GPZ 600R in 1987, just before the FA Cup Final (less said the better there!). I am a gnats over 6ft. That 600 had a low scolloped-out riders seat, and tiny fairing, and it was great for a shorter rider. But not me. Sixteen inch wheels, short trail and rake and short wheelbase meant that it was brilliant for 'flicking' around country lanes. But straight line stability? Horrid. Any side turbulence and it felt like it was going to do a tank slapper. Not a motorway bike. Fitting a steering damper may have helped a bit. I should have bought a GPZ900R, but couldn't afford a new one. So the new 600 won. Big mistake! The 900 was a stunning machine. Physically bigger. A bit heavier, but it had train-like stability. Very sure footed. And made for me. Not quite as flickable as the 600 but my oh my, what a lovely all-round package. A milestone and quantum jump at the time. The 600's motor was an utter dream though. 600cc 16 valve across the frame, four stroke four. Fluid power output which just kept coming! Amazingly economical too. Easily did 60mpg on a run.

So questions about ride must bear individuality in mind. The Kawasaki Tengai was made for me. Height, weight, grunt, looks, image, style, seating position. I fitted that like a glove. One I hired in Crete in 1993: me and the wife. Spurs shirt and shades. Posing along in Agious Nicolais and Heraklion. It would pull a standing start in 3rd gear (!!) two up. That lovely big 650cc four stroke single motor. Huge gob fulls of torque. Loved it to bits! I want one now. A nice project for the future I think.

The Ducati 500 Pantah? Out on the open road it was pure sex! Lovely, lovely package. It felt like it was on rails, it handled so well. In town? Buy a new left wrist.... the clutch lever was for Godzilla clones only. Incredibly heavy. But would I want one now? You bet! The Desmodromic (SP?) valve gear in the v twin motor is a swine to set up correctly needing 'engineers blue' IIRC. A bike to buy, do up and then go and write poetry about!

The worst bike I rode? Apart from a Solex in France in 1976, and a Z900 Kawasaki there too, briefly (hinge in the middle. Horrible handling. Bent frame maybe) was a Yamaha XZ550. IIRC. The one with the leading axle on the front forks. Total turkey. Horrid. The VF400 V4 Honda was instantly forgettable (was like riding a hairdryer) and the Honda CX500 really was a plastic maggot! Despatch riders rode them galore, but they were awful for blowing alternators and chewing cam chain tensioners. The most reliable bike ever. Got to be the Suzuki GS550E. THE classic Jap across the frame four stroke four. Bulletproof engine and classy looks. Unreliable but loved it? The Suzuki SP370. I loved it dearly, even though it had a tendancy to strip the splines in the kickstart shaft. An no electric start, so a problem if you were no good at bump starting it!

http://www.suzukicycles.org/SP-series/SP370.shtml

Others I rode/borrowed/tested/blagged I forgot before?

The Suzuki GSX550 and GSX750
CB650 Honda.
X5 200 Suzuki.
Yamaha XS500

I never did get my mitts on Suzuki RG500 or Yamaha RD500 2 strokes. Probably just as well!

Apparently the Yamaha VPVS RD350LC in the 1980's had a higher power to weight ratio than a Panavia Tornado fighter bomber!

Eeee.... bikes. Get me going on that subject.

That's pretty sweet :) I'm more into this style though

honda_CB750_E3.jpg

Nice. Sexy looking sickle.... open carbs. Bellmouths? The 4-1 exhaust; a Lazer? Motad?

The Moto Guzzi 850? 1980's when I used one. A long time ago, but from memory: low (ish) seat height, bit heavy, low centre of gravity, good for short-arses, not bad grunt for a late 1970's shaft drive 850 twin. Reasonable handling. A touch of class. Prescence. Pretty. I guess a good one will appreciate in value now, being a classic. Lovely engine, frame, brakes, looks... but questionable electrics and some build quality. The Yamaha XS750/850 triples I had at the time would knock spots off it for performance, but they didn't look as nice, or have Moto Guzzi on the tank. Plus the Yamahas handled like a pig. I wish I had ridden the Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans. I bet that was something.....

My mate paid just over a grand for a purple/white 1975 Triumph Trident triple 750 last year. He has spent c. £3,000 on the engine. Its now immaculate, and he reckons its worth £20k! He had a 1980 Ducati 900 Darmah which got totalled by an 84 year-old, OAP, who decided to roll out at a junction whilst gassing to passenger and not looking. Years ago. Then his Ducati 748 got trashed too (his fault) so he is keeping his lives left and not having mega performance machines any more. Much to his wifes' approval!

Back in the mid 1980's another mate got hold of an old Triumph 350 twin. With an ugly fairing on it. The cops used them late 1960's/early 1970's. It had been in a ditch for donkey's years. He spent years doing it up. A complete strip, rebuild and makeover to original. It, no kid, was better than when it was new. Totally immaculate and stunning job. Deep chroming etc etc. He wouldn't take it out if there was any chance of rain! Usually used his old nail of an MZ250, which - incidentally - he used a nail instead of a key to turn the ignition on! Street cred, huh!

To those that are not bike-minded, not all bikes suit everyone, and thats massively true and important. Your height and build/weight are very important to marry to the correct bike. I got a brand new Kawasaki GPZ 600R in 1987, just before the FA Cup Final (less said the better there!). I am a gnats over 6ft. That 600 had a low scolloped-out riders seat, and tiny fairing, and it was great for a shorter rider. But not me. Sixteen inch wheels, short trail and rake and short wheelbase meant that it was brilliant for 'flicking' around country lanes. But straight line stability? Horrid. Any side turbulence and it felt like it was going to do a tank slapper. Not a motorway bike. Fitting a steering damper may have helped a bit. I should have bought a GPZ900R, but couldn't afford a new one. So the new 600 won. Big mistake! The 900 was a stunning machine. Physically bigger. A bit heavier, but it had train-like stability. Very sure footed. And made for me. Not quite as flickable as the 600 but my oh my, what a lovely all-round package. A milestone and quantum jump at the time. The 600's motor was an utter dream though. 600cc 16 valve across the frame, four stroke four. Fluid power output which just kept coming! Amazingly economical too. Easily did 60mpg on a run.

So questions about ride must bear individuality in mind. The Kawasaki Tengai was made for me. Height, weight, grunt, looks, image, style, seating position. I fitted that like a glove. One I hired in Crete in 1993: me and the wife. Spurs shirt and shades. Posing along in Agious Nicolais and Heraklion. It would pull a standing start in 3rd gear (!!) two up. That lovely big 650cc four stroke single motor. Huge gob fulls of torque. Loved it to bits! I want one now. A nice project for the future I think.

The Ducati 500 Pantah? Out on the open road it was pure sex! Lovely, lovely package. It felt like it was on rails, it handled so well. In town? Buy a new left wrist.... the clutch lever was for Godzilla clones only. Incredibly heavy. But would I want one now? You bet! The Desmodromic (SP?) valve gear in the v twin motor is a swine to set up correctly needing 'engineers blue' IIRC. A bike to buy, do up and then go and write poetry about!

The worst bike I rode? Apart from a Solex in France in 1976, and a Z900 Kawasaki there too, briefly (hinge in the middle. Horrible handling. Bent frame maybe) was a Yamaha XZ550. IIRC. The one with the leading axle on the front forks. Total turkey. Horrid. The VF400 V4 Honda was instantly forgettable (was like riding a hairdryer) and the Honda CX500 really was a plastic maggot! Despatch riders rode them galore, but they were awful for blowing alternators and chewing cam chain tensioners. The most reliable bike ever. Got to be the Suzuki GS550E. THE classic Jap across the frame four stroke four. Bulletproof engine and classy looks. Unreliable but loved it? The Suzuki SP370. I loved it dearly, even though it had a tendancy to strip the splines in the kickstart shaft. An no electric start, so a problem if you were no good at bump starting it!

http://www.suzukicycles.org/SP-series/SP370.shtml

Others I rode/borrowed/tested/blagged I forgot before?

The Suzuki GSX550 and GSX750
CB650 Honda.
X5 200 Suzuki.
Yamaha XS500

I never did get my mitts on Suzuki RG500 or Yamaha RD500 2 strokes. Probably just as well!

Apparently the Yamaha VPVS RD350LC in the 1980's had a higher power to weight ratio than a Panavia Tornado fighter bomber!

Eeee.... bikes. Get me going on that subject.

You don't say?! :) Thanks for your post, it was a great read. Your wife must be thrilled about competing with bikes!

I've only owned 2 bikes before the Harley. A CBR 600RR and a 900RR. Both obviously very different riding experience to the Harley. Now as I'm getting older, I needed to settle for a cruiser =)

The bike has following mods: Stage One Tuned with Screamin' Eagle, Pro Tuner, Vance & Hines Short Shot Exhaust, Arlen Ness Big Sucker Air Cleaner, Progressive Heavy Duty Front Springs along with 11" contrast cut black anodized, rear shocks, Joker Machine side mounted Number Plate, Kellerman Micro Rhombus LED Turn Signals in Black, Road 6 US imported custom handle bars and LED rear turn signals, HD Rev Counter fitted, polished engine covers and dark custom Derby cover, Forward Mounted Controls.

It rides beautifully but I need to do something about the rear shocks as they are way too stiff and whenever I hit a bump, I almost fly off the bike!

Also, the MOT is coming up in July, I wonder if I'm going to have any problems passing it because of the stage one tuning. Have you had any experience with this?

You don't say?! :) Thanks for your post, it was a great read. Your wife must be thrilled about competing with bikes!

I've only owned 2 bikes before the Harley. A CBR 600RR and a 900RR. Both obviously very different riding experience to the Harley. Now as I'm getting older, I needed to settle for a cruiser =)

The bike has following mods: Stage One Tuned with Screamin' Eagle, Pro Tuner, Vance & Hines Short Shot Exhaust, Arlen Ness Big Sucker Air Cleaner, Progressive Heavy Duty Front Springs along with 11" contrast cut black anodized, rear shocks, Joker Machine side mounted Number Plate, Kellerman Micro Rhombus LED Turn Signals in Black, Road 6 US imported custom handle bars and LED rear turn signals, HD Rev Counter fitted, polished engine covers and dark custom Derby cover, Forward Mounted Controls.

It rides beautifully but I need to do something about the rear shocks as they are way too stiff and whenever I hit a bump, I almost fly off the bike!

Also, the MOT is coming up in July, I wonder if I'm going to have any problems passing it because of the stage one tuning. Have you had any experience with this?

The MOT. Doubt it will be a problem. Its not a fail item I don't think. Do they even have the engine running in the MOT? Not MOT'd one for yonks. The tester certainly didn't used to. CO2 emmissions like car MOTs. Same now for bikes? I might be behind the times here though. If the tuning is done well and the bike runs smoothly, shouldn't be a problem? Sounds like you spent a packet on it.

Bet the Harley stands out with all that lot done!:):):):)

The wife? She's fine. I'm a massively experienced driver/rider. Passed both bike and car tests first time. She trusts me (!). The problem with bikes here is the destructive power of the helmet to female hairdo.

I have not had a bike for a few years. Since 2010. Too long. Yep I want another. Hence the Tengai idea. One to do up first maybe?

Given a large Lottery win, the shopping list would be:

Ducati 1098
Triumph Daytona 955i
Triumph Tiger 1050

Plus to do up:

Kawasaki Tengai.
Suzuki GS1000

That'll do! [-o<[-o<[-o<

Last edited:
The MOT. Doubt it will be a problem. Its not a fail item I don't think. Do they even have the engine running in the MOT? Not MOT'd one for yonks. The tester certainly didn't used to. CO2 emmissions like car MOTs. Same now for bikes? I might be behind the times here though. If the tuning is done well and the bike runs smoothly, shouldn't be a problem? Sounds like you spent a packet on it.

Bet the Harley stands out with all that lot done!:):):):)

The wife? She's fine. I'm a massively experienced driver/rider. Passed both bike and car tests first time. She trusts me (!). The problem with bikes here is the destructive power of the helmet to female hairdo.

I have not had a bike for a few years. Since 2010. Too long. Yep I want another. Hence the Tengai idea. One to do up first maybe?

Given a large Lottery win, the shopping list would be:

Ducati 1098
Triumph Daytona 955i
Triumph Tiger 1050

Plus to do up:

Kawasaki Tengai.
Suzuki GS1000

That'll do! [-o<[-o<[-o<

I'm not sure about the MOT, never done one in UK..or anywhere else for that matter. The bike already came with the mentioned upgrades so I'm a happy camper :) I would prefer if they didn't start it up because she sounds like an airplane. According to the seller, I only need to change the reg plate to a bigger one and that's it....hopefully it's true.

That's quite a list, how about aiming for one bike for a start?!

I think Bullet is the forum motorcycle conneiseur btw.

My ride was a Honda CBR600F, which I luckily survived two summers riding/clinging on to. That was two kids and one wife ago, and a newly renovated house. I want to get a bike to ride to and from work, something cheap and easy to maintain.

Ha ha very droll

I passed my test and was told to get a 250 or 500 or perhaps 600 but I thought I knew best and did my research and got a smooth beast, a 919cc Honda cb900f which looks like this

[video=youtube_share;WUNAELFjV40]http://youtu.be/WUNAELFjV40?t=9s[/video]

It has a detuned Fireblade engine. It is a brilliant bike, watch the review above and the guy can't believe how good a bike it is, and he is a professional reviewer. Even though it is a 10 year old bike.

Anyway, a massive 8 hours later I fell off it, snapping both my legs in half like Henrik Larsson did, but both legs simultaneously.

That hurt a LOT and I never saw the bike again

The adrenalin whilst on the bike is good, but the pain when your legs snap in half is bad

It accelerates fast, like this

[video=youtube_share;BZsWoi6Fkxw]http://youtu.be/BZsWoi6Fkxw[/video]

Ha ha very droll

I passed my test and was told to get a 250 or 500 or perhaps 600 but I thought I knew best and did my research and got a smooth beast, a 919cc Honda cb900f which looks like this

[video=youtube_share;WUNAELFjV40]http://youtu.be/WUNAELFjV40?t=9s[/video]

It has a detuned Fireblade engine. It is a brilliant bike, watch the review above and the guy can't believe how good a bike it is, and he is a professional reviewer. Even though it is a 10 year old bike.

Anyway, a massive 8 hours later I fell off it, snapping both my legs in half like Henrik Larsson did, but both legs simultaneously.

That hurt a LOT and I never saw the bike again

The adrenalin whilst on the bike is good, but the pain when your legs snap in half is bad

It accelerates fast, like this

[video=youtube_share;BZsWoi6Fkxw]http://youtu.be/BZsWoi6Fkxw[/video]

What a lovely post to read first thing in the morning :) Hope you're alright mate. So you got a 900CC as your first bike?! That's was very brave....and stupid for obvious reasons but I don't need to tell you that :) Have you retired from bikes for good now?

What a lovely post to read first thing in the morning :) Hope you're alright mate. So you got a 900CC as your first bike?! That's was very brave....and stupid for obvious reasons but I don't need to tell you that :) Have you retired from bikes for good now?

Never say never, but right now I'm not that keen to get back on a bike. I'm way too brave (stupid) and like to push the envelope to see what happens.

In a car you do a little skid, on a bike your legs snap in half.

Hee ha! I think I just bought myself a bike, off to test it tomorrow.

71_504322115.jpg

It's a Honda CBF600SA 2009. Any thoughts? I'll mainly use it to and from work, which is an 8 mile roundtrip.

I have rode motor bikes for over 50 years and during that time i have had lots of different bikes, rice rockets, tourers, cafe racers, trikes etc. But i am a Harley man ( best cycle on the road) i have had several over the last decade or so but the one below is my current ride.

" Ride to live"
" Live to ride".

upload_2016-6-17_17-27-17.jpeg

Nice one mate, enjoy it but don't go overboard like I did. Remember I bought the 900 version of similar (http://www.cycleworld.com/2011/09/07/honda-919-best-used-bikes) in 2010 and fell off after riding for many many hours, snapping my legs in half. Still hurts now.
I remember your accident and have no intention of becoming a copycat!

Being a dad now hopefully has put some sense in my head.

So it still hurts? Been a few years hasn't it?

I used to own a CBR 600 and had a few close calls as well. Now I'm too old (33) to ride sport bikes so I decided to become loud and obnoxious :)

Your wife is actually agreeing with you getting another bike?
She agreed and I bought the bike [emoji3] had a lovely little time driving it home in the rain yesterday! Now I've got a bunch of friends jealous of me for having a wife who's OK with me taking a week in Turkey this February playing golf and getting a bike. Love it!

The bike is just what the doctor prescribed, reasonably priced, cheap insurance, easy maintenance, big enough for a long ride and small enough for your everyday fun.

Think it's been 8 years since I last rode. 500 meters into my ride home yesterday I met my first new two wheeling mate and gave each other the wave of approval which brought a BIG smile to my face!
Riding home all I could think of was "this is the way, and only way to travel on the road!"

@Bullet conquer your fears from the past, buy a sensible bike, take use of your license and enjoy the sweet breeze of a nice cruise! You owe yourself

She agreed and I bought the bike [emoji3] had a lovely little time driving it home in the rain yesterday! Now I've got a bunch of friends jealous of me for having a wife who's OK with me taking a week in Turkey this February playing golf and getting a bike. Love it!

The bike is just what the doctor prescribed, reasonably priced, cheap insurance, easy maintenance, big enough for a long ride and small enough for your everyday fun.

Think it's been 8 years since I last rode. 500 meters into my ride home yesterday I met my first new two wheeling mate and gave each other the wave of approval which brought a BIG smile to my face!
Riding home all I could think of was "this is the way, and only way to travel on the road!"

@Bullet conquer your fears from the past, buy a sensible bike, take use of your license and enjoy the sweet breeze of a nice cruise! You owe yourself

Amen to that brother.

I have rode motor bikes for over 50 years and during that time i have had lots of different bikes, rice rockets, tourers, cafe racers, trikes etc. But i am a Harley man ( best cycle on the road) i have had several over the last decade or so but the one below is my current ride.

" Ride to live"
" Live to ride".

View attachment 2801

nice man, is that a Fat Bob?

nice man, is that a Fat Bob?

Yes it is, since then i have had it staged two and a set of Vance and Hines short pipes fitted. The only little problem is that i have short legs and the forward controls are a bit of a stretch but i will sort it.

I have always had softails before but i do not do as much touring as i used to so the Dyna is just right.

Yes it is, since then i have had it staged two and a set of Vance and Hines short pipes fitted. The only little problem is that i have short legs and the forward controls are a bit of a stretch but i will sort it.

I have always had softails before but i do not do as much touring as i used to so the Dyna is just right.

nice, I have a Street Bob with a Stage 1 tuning, also Vance & Hines pipes - too much fun.

Are you doing bike nights at Ace Cafe?

nice, I have a Street Bob with a Stage 1 tuning, also Vance & Hines pipes - too much fun.

Are you doing bike nights at Ace Cafe?

I used to at one time but i have not been for a few years, i live outside of the London area now so apart for Saturdays i try to stay away from the place.

Back