• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Morales and Ethics

Borrowed this from the Scott Parker Thread;
That's pretty close to what I have.

We ended the Summer 2012 transfer window with a surplus of £14,603,000 from player trading...

A4947_zpscf3717e2.jpg

...the purchase of Zeki Fryers and Lewis Holtby in January 2013 cost us £4,500,000, which gave us a surplus of £10,103,000 going into the Summer 2013 window...

A4949_zpse5a14096.jpg

...The net spend so far this summer has been £34,850,000, less the previous balance of £10,103,000 and the £3,000,000 received from the Dos Santos sell-on clause.

So I make that a grand total spent on transfers of £21,747,000.

We still have a few players who might be moved-on for decent money (Assou-Ekotto, Adebayor and Gomes to name just three), but in the meantime, Spurs have four new players who will certainly feature in first team squads (Soldado, Capoue, Paulinho and Chadli) for an average outlay of around £5,500,000 each.

If THFC6061 is correct we have a net spend of ~£22m in the last ~12 months? With the new TV money and offloading a few players with high wages then there's every chance our spend so far is from the money we've earnt as a football club without dipping into any rumoured loan?

There is a lot of jealousy doing the rounds but why should we feel bad or question ourselves....

Is it our fault that Liverpool spunked massive money on Carrol, Downing, Henderson????? and then sell to West Ham at a massive loss??? is it our fault the other lot spend 13m on Gervinho only to sell him at a loss a few years later?????

no... we have done some clangers but in general Levy has done excellent business for us over the last few years.....we completely rinsed everton over Piennar.....okay maybe not rinsed but we bought him and sold him to the same club making 2m profit...

message to spurs fans........don't listen to the jealousy.... we have had windows of missed opportunities (saha & Nelson ffs) now we are having a go and doing what we have all been crying out for over the last few years..

enjoy the business but its on the pitch that matters......

COYS the AVB Baldi & Levy axis is working wonders..... with Uncle Joe looking on with a wink and a smile.

Its clear we have had a chance to 'really have a go for a while'

easy really Levy did not trust Redknapp & analysed AVB's performance last season....

AVB trusts AVB and is backing him to the hilt...we have the structure in place and its all systems go.

could hardly post yesterday or read others post's...I am that excited I feel like a kid...we are not Chelsea or city but its clear to me we have been sitting on cash reserves and maybe uncle joe is helping us out a bit so what.

we have sold high earners and are doing excellent business...in terms of morals & ethics we pay a lot to see our beloved spurs.....at least our board is trying to ensure we can watch a team that we pay for that is worth it (although admission prices are still a joke) the morals & ethics question in far more relevant for our rivals down the road....

We are having a go......effin love it.

I should bloody well hope so! ;)

I did wonder where you were when all the Willian/Lamela stuff was kicking off yesterday.

It IS just so so exciting at the moment. I reckon we could still be on for a last minute Levy special as well (I'm thinking young striker in/Ade going on deadline day)

I think the club have done a fantastic job cleaning up the squad too. Getting rid of Gallas, Bentley, Livermore, Huddlestone, Parker, Dempsey, Caulker. It's been very very well done so far.

I should bloody well hope so! ;)

I did wonder where you were when all the Willian/Lamela stuff was kicking off yesterday.

It IS just so so exciting at the moment. I reckon we could still be on for a last minute Levy special as well (I'm thinking young striker in/Ade going on deadline day)

Mate yesterday was to much....it warped my fragile little mind.....

I feel so excited and ready to pop....ooooo eeeer

I was trying to write posts and just couldn't - I wasn't even reading posts properly my head was/is just buzzing....

Thank you for highlighting my error....meant Levy obviously...... sorry im a mess at the moment.......

WILLIAN ?? LAMELA?? ......slap my thighs and call me judy!!!

Mate yesterday was to much....it warped my fragile little mind.....

I feel so excited and ready to pop....ooooo eeeer

I was trying to write posts and just couldn't - I wasn't even reading posts properly my head was/is just buzzing....

Thank you for highlighting my error....meant Levy obviously...... sorry im a mess at the moment.......

WILLIAN ?? LAMELA?? ......slap my thighs and call me judy!!!

:)

I really like it when posts almost turn into streams of consciousness in times of transfer madness :)

I am going to take a stab at the wages in's and out's (significant players)

Outs

Bentley 70k
Gallas 90k
Caulker 20k
Dempsey 80k
Huddlestone 50k
Livermore 30k
Parker 70k

That is 410k a week

Ins

Paulinho 60k
Chadli 50k
Soldado 80k
Capoue 50k

That is 240k a week

Future possible deals

Outs

Ade 100k
Benny 60k
Gomes 70k
TOTAL 230k

Ins
Willian 85k
Lamela 70k
TOTAL 155k

So for me we have substantially reduced our wages, its clear that we can also match any offer wages wise that Madrid will offer Bale too.

We cannot be compared to City/Cheat$ki/PSG/etc.

The simple reason is our books will have to balance back at some point, either from selling Bale, or against income over a number of years. Even if Joe has given us access to cash, it's not a case of him wiping out hundreds of millions of pounds of debt.

The other thing is scale, even if we buy Lamela and Willian, it's at most around 120M in spend, Cheat$ki and City have spend multiples of that.

Our club has worked very hard, been very well run, made good fiscal decisions to get us to a point where it seems we feel this is a prudent risk, we should be proud of that

There's a huge different between getting a 50m loan to be paid back in 10 years. And the Unlimited never to be paid back money that been pumped into Chelsea and City by Human Right abusers, fraudsters and former gangsters.

Given the recent splurge, what's everyone's thoughts?

Exciting sure, but are we becoming a "sugar daddy" club. No different than City, Chelsea or PSG?

Or is it dependant on where the money is coming from? ie. Bale sale.

We losing our identity to some degree losing youngsters and long term players (Hudd, Caulker, Livermore, possibly Townsend)?

Nothing wrong with what we've done, as long as we aren't risking everything for it. We aren't bankrolled.

As for the identity part, yes I feel we are losing our identity. This will be potentially acceptable if we are a success. But if we've spent all this money and still can't break top four this season, then some serious questions need to be answered and dare I say heads will have to roll somewhere.

I have been critical of Levy in the past, but he has backed his DoF and Manager this time and more importantly he has done it early. Are we spending the Bale money? Maybe, but at least we're building our squad before he goes. If he does stay then all I can say is that Levy (or Lewis if he has been the one holding Levy back) really has gone out of his way to loosen the purse strings and get the business done.

Bottom line is, we now have a very big, very talented squad that will be on big wages and are made up of big transfer fees. There can be no excuses for failure.

Bale stays = we're title contenders and anything less is a disappointment, even if we finish top four. I'll be extremely annoyed if we finish a long way behind the winners. Not saying we're going to win the thing, but we should be in the mix.

Bale goes = we should finish a comfortable 4th at least. This is the first time since the Premiership began that I can look at our first team, and squad, and think yes we're in the top four teams in the country. Even the two seasons we actually finished 4th, I felt we got there down to the failings of others as much as our own success. This season we don't have to rely on the failings of others to achieve top four. It's in our hands for the first time since the 1980's and doesn't that feel great?!

I am going to take a stab at the wages in's and out's (significant players)

Outs

Bentley 70k
Gallas 90k
Caulker 20k
Dempsey 80k
Huddlestone 50k
Livermore 30k
Parker 70k
I'd wager none of them were even close to those amounts. I know for a fact that one of those players basic wage was less than half of what you've quoted there! Don't know about the others, but basic wage in this case was low because the rest of the wages was made up in performance related criteria, e.g. appearances.

I'd wager none of them were even close to those amounts. I know for a fact that one of those players basic wage was less than half of what you've quoted there! Don't know about the others, but basic wage in this case was low because the rest of the wages was made up in performance related criteria, e.g. appearances.

Still gotta pay it if they play.

On the subject of morales and ethics, how refreshing to have a manager who gives a **** about this. Even in the way he refuses to talk about Lamela and Willian in a world of mayhem and delirious Spurs fans everywhere!

Thus far we've barely had a net spend and with the possibility of Bale leaving we might still even make a profit this window.

So no. What we are doing is spending the money we earned.

Edit: Including the tv revenue of course.

Also i think the loan from Lewis will be paid back over the next two years from the increased tv money. What we lacked was capital, cash to spend up front on players. That's what i think the loan was for. We know we're getting the increase from the tv deal, however teams will rarely accept the majority of payment in instalments.

Last edited:
Back