• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Modric - No Longer A Spurs Player

Dami @TheChelseaWay
Tottenham have agreed to sell Luka Modric to Real Madrid for £35m, according to 24Sata. #THFC #RMCF

24Sata says that Modric has agreed terms with Real and the clubs are very close to finalizing the transfer

Dami @TheChelseaWay
Tottenham have agreed to sell Luka Modric to Real Madrid for £35m, according to 24Sata. #THFC #RMCF
24 sata are the worst papers in Croatia, I wouldn't believe that
other papers in Croatia are saying that Luka is in talks with PSG

Nope. VDV is better!

No he is not. Bale and VdV might be the most dynamic but Modric is the best player and the most important integral to the way that the team plays. He is also very well suited to how we think that AVB will set the side up.

personally i think bale is the hardest to replace. he's still young and with the right coach, theres more skills and shots to be eked out of him, on top of his amazing strength and speed already. truly one of a kind, question is can we turn him into a world beater like ronaldo.

modric is also one of a kind, but i feel that in today's crowded midfield of 10 football, the loss can be mitigated a bit easier. of course you could choose to make the play through modric all the time, but look at how real madrid win the title without doing just that. sure spain won the euros in barca-esque fashion, but the point is while it is the vogue right now to have good ball handling posession keeping midfielders, it is not the only way.

vdv is the most old fashioned of them all and i'd believe would be everyone's pick for easy replacement. however i've always had a soft spot for players with guile, a calm head and loads of technique (blame hoddle), and that football brain is more a gift than something you can train for; hence i'd like to keep vdv in the team and try to use him in that way to unpick defences.

but of course, when you put a style of play above individual players, than no one should be indispensable. it will be interesting to see not just how AVB lines up his first eleven, but more interestingly, his Plan B and Plan C when we get unstuck. With more scenarios, I can see Bale switching to an inverted winger position to get goals, VDV as one too, or even as a striker in a 4-6-0.

Modric would be less versatile for a Plan B if you asked me, simply because he poses less of an ability to get goals himself.

not saying we must sell modric, but AVB will have to consider the bigger picture rather than just his immediate position in the first eleven.

how often you seen oscar?

3 times.

but a lot more if you count youtube!!!!!

to be fair he has reminded me of Kaka (i've seen him a lot more times) when I watched him, and thats what others have said of him as well. He always steals the show for Brazil instead of Hulk or Neymar or even our own beloved Damiao.

he's a quality player to be sure.

3 times.

but a lot more if you count youtube!!!!!

to be fair he has reminded me of Kaka (i've seen him a lot more times) when I watched him, and thats what others have said of him as well. He always steals the show for Brazil instead of Hulk or Neymar or even our own beloved Damiao.

he's a quality player to be sure.

dude, if you have seen him AT ALL. then you are way ahead of the pack. i'll trust you more than i trust someone else that only watches you tube

however i got burned by the Gomez reach around fan boy club memebers. dont take it personal if i say that until i see something substantial about him i think modric is head and shoulders over him.

just seen two you tube clips.

unfortunately not impressed by them, only seems like Kaka in his body shape.... and maybe a little bit of his poise?. but hey , i havent seen him , soooo............

edit:- if this is the guy we replace modders with i think we need shooting. moutinho and sahin would be better.....more established and have earned their stripes

If he REALLY wants to go we should sell him but not for less than 45-50 mill and certainly not to a premiership team.
Otherwise let the little bugger see out his contract.

I'd love Sahin! He's certainly more of a deep-lying playmaker than Oscar (though I've heard that Oscar's good workrate could allow him to adapt to a more Modric-esque position). However, I would assume that he's RM's replacement for the aging Alonso, unless Modric goes there. He's also had recent injury issues. I assume that any 35m + Sahin deal would mean a loan for a year.

Given that we've just bought Gylfi, Oscar would surprise me a lot. For one thing, he's also an attacking mid. For another, buying players directly from Brazil worries me - there's a lot of politicking to create hype (Oscar's senior caps are worthless since that's mainly agenticking), and the league itself is slow-paced and over-favourable to attackers. But I would prefer Oscar to Leandro, despite our deficiencies in the striking department - from what I've heard (!) by others who watch the Brazilian league, he has great basics...touch, control, passing, and workrate...that is, he's not just dribbles, tricks, and goals, the flashier stuff that tends to build hype without substance. Leandro to me is too much of a poacher, and I'd rather not buy a player whose entire game revolves on one aspect that rarely converts well in a much tougher league.

Moutinho is more of a box-to-box midfielder than a true deep playmaker. He has a great engine and will be a good cycler and presser of the ball, but he's not one to make killer long passes the way you'd hope/expect Sahin to. OTOH, we know he loves AVB, AVB knows him well, and AVB's system does demand high energy, so if the price is right he's a fine addition - just not a direct replacement for Modric.

Funnily enough, I think one crucial part of the puzzle will be whether Hudd can recover and even improve. In that case, we can create a differently balanced midfield without the need for a Modric replica, with Hudd playing as the deepest midfielder with two pacier, quick-transition shuttlers in front. If Hudd can't recover, then it becomes more imperative to get Sahin.

I'd love Sahin! He's certainly more of a deep-lying playmaker than Oscar (though I've heard that Oscar's good workrate could allow him to adapt to a more Modric-esque position). However, I would assume that he's RM's replacement for the aging Alonso, unless Modric goes there. He's also had recent injury issues. I assume that any 35m + Sahin deal would mean a loan for a year.

Given that we've just bought Gylfi, Oscar would surprise me a lot. For one thing, he's also an attacking mid. For another, buying players directly from Brazil worries me - there's a lot of politicking to create hype (Oscar's senior caps are worthless since that's mainly agenticking), and the league itself is slow-paced and over-favourable to attackers. But I would prefer Oscar to Leandro, despite our deficiencies in the striking department - from what I've heard (!) by others who watch the Brazilian league, he has great basics...touch, control, passing, and workrate...that is, he's not just dribbles, tricks, and goals, the flashier stuff that tends to build hype without substance. Leandro to me is too much of a poacher, and I'd rather not buy a player whose entire game revolves on one aspect that rarely converts well in a much tougher league.

Moutinho is more of a box-to-box midfielder than a true deep playmaker. He has a great engine and will be a good cycler and presser of the ball, but he's not one to make killer long passes the way you'd hope/expect Sahin to. OTOH, we know he loves AVB, AVB knows him well, and AVB's system does demand high energy, so if the price is right he's a fine addition - just not a direct replacement for Modric.

Funnily enough, I think one crucial part of the puzzle will be whether Hudd can recover and even improve. In that case, we can create a differently balanced midfield without the need for a Modric replica, with Hudd playing as the deepest midfielder with two pacier, quick-transition shuttlers in front. If Hudd can't recover, then it becomes more imperative to get Sahin.

good post.

Oscar isn't the powderpuff #10 that people on here seem to think he is, he often drops back and runs the game and is a pretty tenacious player, I think he'll have a similar path to Modric but with a bit more quality in the final third.

i just posted this in the transfer thread, but il stick it here too

If Modric leaves, and we cant persuade Oscar, then how about Benat from Real Betis.

playmaker, can tackle, can press, can take free kicks, 25 years old, probably can be bought for around 15 mill, whats not to like

[video=youtube;FF_bqmggbz0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF_bqmggbz0[/video]

personally i think bale is the hardest to replace. he's still young and with the right coach, theres more skills and shots to be eked out of him, on top of his amazing strength and speed already. truly one of a kind, question is can we turn him into a world beater like ronaldo.

modric is also one of a kind, but i feel that in today's crowded midfield of 10 football, the loss can be mitigated a bit easier. of course you could choose to make the play through modric all the time, but look at how real madrid win the title without doing just that. sure spain won the euros in barca-esque fashion, but the point is while it is the vogue right now to have good ball handling posession keeping midfielders, it is not the only way.

vdv is the most old fashioned of them all and i'd believe would be everyone's pick for easy replacement. however i've always had a soft spot for players with guile, a calm head and loads of technique (blame hoddle), and that football brain is more a gift than something you can train for; hence i'd like to keep vdv in the team and try to use him in that way to unpick defences.

but of course, when you put a style of play above individual players, than no one should be indispensable. it will be interesting to see not just how AVB lines up his first eleven, but more interestingly, his Plan B and Plan C when we get unstuck. With more scenarios, I can see Bale switching to an inverted winger position to get goals, VDV as one too, or even as a striker in a 4-6-0.

Modric would be less versatile for a Plan B if you asked me, simply because he poses less of an ability to get goals himself.

not saying we must sell modric, but AVB will have to consider the bigger picture rather than just his immediate position in the first eleven.

Top post, agree with all of it
As an aside it flummoxes me every day the lack of appreciation for VDV - there is a strong argument that he is in fact our ONLY world class player. Bale and Modric certainly possess the ability but have bene unable to churn it out week after week. Very rarely will VDVD put in a 5/10 performance. Modric and Bale regularly do (along with 9/10 performances other weeks to be fair)

We have missed other players when they have been injured for sustained periods of time more than we have missed Modric IMO, Lennon for example. I think we would miss Bale more if he was to pick up a serious injury.

Back