• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Modric - No Longer A Spurs Player

I don't blame Luka either. He obviously saw us as a stepping-stone to a bigger club. Now, you could waste a LOT of time - and GHod knows some of you seem to have a lot of time on your hands - to discuss how 'big' our club is. I see us for what we are: Top 4/5, but we're not gonna win the title and we have no pedigree for doing that either.

I'm a Spurs fan, but if I was a top professional footballer then - make no mistake - I'd want to be playing in the very best competitions, competing for the title and earning the best money I could. If I wasn't, then I'd have to take a look at myself and ask whether I was doing my talent justice. As it happens, Modric isn't even a Spurs fan - we're just his employers - so the idea that he should put aside personal ambition is total nonsense. Of course I don't want him to leave, but if we're not the platform for him to achieve what he wants to achieve - then that's our failing, not his.

I was very surprised that Modric was as professional as he was after last summers fiasco. He publically accused the Chairman of being a liar, yet - credit to him - put his head down and got a shift in for the season. You cannot fault him for that. I can't imagine that his desire to leave hasn't waned though, so is it seriously reasonable to keep an obviously unhappy player at the club, just because we can?

I just think that resentment will grow, and while Luka was prepared to stay for another year and be professional about it; I can't see him being happy to do it a second time. Personally, I'd rather thank him for the further year he's given us, and then see what bids came in from the market. In no uncertain terms would it be a case of relenting to whichever club Luka wished to join though; it would be a pure auction, and the deal would have to be the best for Tottenham Hotspur. If whichever club he favoured didn't come up with that deal, then he'd stay with us. I think that's being fair all around, and it gives Luka a chance to make a move if he so wished - on the proviso that the right deal was on the table for us.

It'd be no less than ?ú35m for me - that's the benchmark. Chelsea low-balled us last year with a derisory ?ú20m, which then ended-up doubling to ?ú40m. There should be none of that nonsense this summer; all bids start at ?ú35m - or don't even waste the fax paper.

Precisely. Luke signed a six year contract. He shouldn't have signed it if he wanted out at the first sniff from a team 'where the grass is greener'. If he had played better himself during the ten match slump we would have been in the CL ourselves. If he goes, it should be on our terms, at our price, and to whom we want to sell him

Exactomundo!

The reality of the situation is he will probably go, but that doesn't mean that we should capitulate and let manure, Chelsea or whoever else get him on the cheap! Maximum coinage must be extracted and if that means little luka ends up in some comparative backwater club like Malaga or anzi machalackalaka then so be it!

45mil and he can go as far as i am concerned. He put behind him the disappointment of playing another season with my beloved club last year did he?

I can't fault his effort last season but ffs just keep your mouth shut son, there really is no good way of saying you want to move on and intelligent fans accept the reality, idiots won't, so say nothing.

I'd really rather he went to chelscum or Emirates Marketing Project than Utd though, i despise our servile bending over for them and the little condescending pats we get on our behind from SAF.

Its difficult to decide if its better he goes to one of the top two or chelscum or abroad. Bearing in mind he might be the difference to them taking 1 or 3 points off the Arse home and away instead of 0 next season as realistically its them we are in competition with for 4th, so that + 45million to strengthen could help us in a way. Maybe its possible to negotiate a "promise" that he would be "rested" against us in games for his first season.

If only we could have signed a decent striker anytime in the last 4 windows, what might have been....

I don't blame Luka either. He obviously saw us as a stepping-stone to a bigger club. Now, you could waste a LOT of time - and GHod knows some of you seem to have a lot of time on your hands - to discuss how 'big' our club is. I see us for what we are: Top 4/5, but we're not gonna win the title and we have no pedigree for doing that either.

I'm a Spurs fan, but if I was a top professional footballer then - make no mistake - I'd want to be playing in the very best competitions, competing for the title and earning the best money I could. If I wasn't, then I'd have to take a look at myself and ask whether I was doing my talent justice. As it happens, Modric isn't even a Spurs fan - we're just his employers - so the idea that he should put aside personal ambition is total nonsense. Of course I don't want him to leave, but if we're not the platform for him to achieve what he wants to achieve - then that's our failing, not his.

I was very surprised that Modric was as professional as he was after last summers fiasco. He publically accused the Chairman of being a liar, yet - credit to him - put his head down and got a shift in for the season. You cannot fault him for that. I can't imagine that his desire to leave hasn't waned though, so is it seriously reasonable to keep an obviously unhappy player at the club, just because we can?

I just think that resentment will grow, and while Luka was prepared to stay for another year and be professional about it; I can't see him being happy to do it a second time. Personally, I'd rather thank him for the further year he's given us, and then see what bids came in from the market. In no uncertain terms would it be a case of relenting to whichever club Luka wished to join though; it would be a pure auction, and the deal would have to be the best for Tottenham Hotspur. If whichever club he favoured didn't come up with that deal, then he'd stay with us. I think that's being fair all around, and it gives Luka a chance to make a move if he so wished - on the proviso that the right deal was on the table for us.

It'd be no less than ?ú35m for me - that's the benchmark. Chelsea low-balled us last year with a derisory ?ú20m, which then ended-up doubling to ?ú40m. There should be none of that nonsense this summer; all bids start at ?ú35m - or don't even waste the fax paper.

I'm fed up with hearing all this bigger club bollox...

although you are small fodder if you keep letting yer best players go...

Anyway... arnt we now reaching forth place a bit?

Precisely. Luke signed a six year contract. He shouldn't have signed it if he wanted out at the first sniff from a team 'where the grass is greener'. If he had played better himself during the ten match slump we would have been in the CL ourselves. If he goes, it should be on our terms, at our price, and to whom we want to sell him

He must have the worst agent in the world. Who thought it was a good idea to sign a 10 year contract at Zagreb?

He must have the worst agent in the world. Who thought it was a good idea to sign a 10 year contract at Zagreb?

Modric's contract signing bonus and his agent fees are both a percentage of the total wage of the length of the contract.
So a longer contract means the agent gets a bigger fee and modric gets a bigger signing bonus.

Modric's contract signing bonus and his agent fees are both a percentage of the total wage of the length of the contract.
So a longer contract means the agent gets a bigger fee and modric gets a bigger signing bonus.

Modric's agent is Dinamo's president...Conflict of intrests, anyone?

Simply, of course we need him, he is a world class central midfield player. Dont kid yourselves to think we can be the same team without him!

I can't deal with another period of press madness like we had last year.

If he wants to go, then let him, but get it done as soon as possible and invest and have the squad ready for the start of the season.

Said this last summer...his agent was talking for him all the way, he was disappointed but he would never, ever have said things like that (and didn't), his agent situation is weird and bizarre, rooted in history, and Levy would never have dug his heels in if he hadn't already had word from the coaching staff that Modric would not pull a Berba/go on strike/act like a **** on the pitch, etc...personally, I think if he goes it'll be abroad. I do not see him going in the Prem...if he goes.

The trouble is this piece in the paper wasn't the normal speculative rubbish you read so often, Fergie would like to sign Modric type of thing. It was written as if this is a done deal.
The fact that the club have not made a statement to say that this is rubbish worries me. Levy was very quick to comment every time Modric was mentioned last season, I fear there might be some truth to the story.
Selling Modric to Utd would be idiotic at any price. If he has to go then at least seek to sell him abroad.

I have no problem in Modric leaving because I find it tedious battling to keep a player who so desperately wants to leave. However the Mancs can kiss my arse if they think they will get him on the cheap fot ?ú25m. Left to me they can get him on one condition - they make us an offer we cannot refuse, and Fergie needs to realise ?ú25m rising to ?ú30m (if you would believe the press) is certainly not that offer. Because it is Man Utd, and they have a history of buying our best players it has to be north of ?ú50m, a price Man Utd cannot afford.

Personally however, I think Levy will stick to his guns and not sell, just like last season.

Back