• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Modric - No Longer A Spurs Player

Modric does not get enough credit for his passing because he doesnt rack up 20 assists.Fact is,he is the guy that usually provides the edge in our attacking play and plays brilliant forward passes like against Swansea to Bale or at Bolton to Lennon which ultimately lead to goals,but Modric does not get assists for them.

Also,its a bit unfair comparing Modric to the likes of Xabi Alonso who has Benzema,Ronaldo,Oezil,Higuain in front of him,Xavi and Iniesta who have Villa,Messi,Pedro in front of them or Schweinsteiger who has Kroos,Gomez,Robben and Ribery in front of him.
Modric creates the third most chances in this league,which is a fantastic achievement considering how deep he plays.

I only made the comparison because a lot of people compare him to the likes of Iniesta (rightly or wrongly).

My opinion, you've got the likes of Xavi, Alonso, Fabregas, Schweinsteiger, Iniesta, Villa at the top, then Modric would be slightly below their level in the next tier.

Xavi is elite. Then I don't think there's a great deal of difference between Schweinsteiger, Alonso and Luka. Differing styles but have similar roles in their respective sides. Not comparable to Fabregas and Iniesta at all, not to say they're not better than Modric(because they are) but quoting goal/assist output isn't the way to prove it. Villa is a striker for all intents and purposes so I'm not sure what he's doing in that list.

The trouble is, we've got Lennon who doesn't get enough goals, Parker who doesn't contribute any, and Modric doesn't contribute much, kinda leaves a lot of pressure on Bale to get most of them from midfield, which he's done the last two seasons.

We definitely need to get a midfielder who gets goals, if that means changing the shape of the team a little then so be it.

That or we need to get ourselves a Van Persie :-k

Alonso isn't a defensive midfielder, he's a deep-lying playmaker - just like Modric. The quicker people realise this and stop comparing him to Silva, Ozil, Sneijder and VDV etc the better.

Alonse is a defensive midfielder, who can also playmake. Like Carrick. I remember seeing a stat when Carrick was at ours where Carrick had the second most tackles in the league. The most was Alonso.

Alonso and Modric are also nothing like each other as players. Just like Modric and Carrick aren't.

Modric is poor at shooting and the couple of goals a season he scores per season from just outside the box won't sway my opinion on that. However he is our playmaker and the most skilful and complete CM I have seen in my 20 years of supporting Spurs so I couldnt care less about comparisons to Alonso/Xavi/Carrick.

He is of paramount importance to us,end of....

They don't look-alike maybe, but as players their roles in the team are very similar. They both play in a central two, both alongside an actual defensive midfielder(Parker/Sandro and Khedira/Diarra) the majority of play begins with those two, the root of near enough every move begins with those two. Both can hold their own defensively(Alonso more so) but that's not their job, that's not what they're in the team to do. Just look at who Alonso has played alongside - Javier Mascherano at Liverpool. Sami Khedira/Lass Diarra with Madrid and Sergio Busquets with Spain.

If you could get hold of a heat-map of the two then they'd look very similar, with them mostly occupying either side of the halfway line whilst occasionally drifting further forward with the midfield partner covering them. Where exactly do you think Modric plays and what his role is if it's not what I've just described? I know Modric looks like your stereotypical continental off the front man, flouncy #10 type and people are determined to put that label on him but that's just not his game. I'm sure his goals and direct assist rate would improve if we played him as one but the team wouldn't be better off for it.

Modric is poor at shooting and the couple of goals a season he scores per season from just outside the box won't sway my opinion on that. However he is our playmaker and the most skilful and complete CM I have seen in my 20 years of supporting Spurs so I couldnt care less about comparisons to Alonso/Xavi/Carrick.

He is of paramount importance to us,end of....

Absolutely, he is the heart of our team and the most integral to the way that we play. More often than not, when he is on form, so are we. People should stop worrying about what he isn't and celebrate what he is because we'll sure miss him when he is gone.

Xavi is elite. Then I don't think there's a great deal of difference between Schweinsteiger, Alonso and Luka. Differing styles but have similar roles in their respective sides. Not comparable to Fabregas and Iniesta at all, not to say they're not better than Modric(because they are) but quoting goal/assist output isn't the way to prove it. Villa is a striker for all intents and purposes so I'm not sure what he's doing in that list.

That or we need to get ourselves a Van Persie :-k

My mistake, I meant Silva not Villa.

We don't score anywhere near enough goals for the chances we create. Two seasons running it could potentially cost us a higher position in the table.

I love Modric and think he is one of the best in the world. He does so much for the team. That said I would let him go if I knew Kagawa was coming in to be an AM as his replacement. Kagawa would help keep Bale out wide as Kagawa will create tons of chances though the middle or low angle for out wingers. The money we make on Luka would shore up 3 spots and that in the long run is better for Spurs.

I love Modric and think he is one of the best in the world. He does so much for the team. That said I would let him go if I knew Kagawa was coming in to be an AM as his replacement. Kagawa would help keep Bale out wide as Kagawa will create tons of chances though the middle or low angle for out wingers. The money we make on Luka would shore up 3 spots and that in the long run is better for Spurs.

why not just buy the three spots you're talking about and keep luka modric?

dont you think we have the money to do that?

plus the spots we sure up , are they even remotely close to being as good as modric is in the middle? or even in realtion to their ability whatever their positions is?

no mate, think about what you're saying....deep lying playmakers are often accompanied by another defensive presence beside them, not an attacking one. we were one of the few teams i can remember that played with a deep playmaker in thudd and more offensive guy beside him in modric ...and even then both CMs had to curb their enthusiasm for getting forward

modric plays as part of a 4 man midfield....in which case his forward games is tempered when we have the ball

i understand where your coming from mate , but u look at our central midfield and modric and parker only have 4 goals between them in the league all season , im not sure they are the right combination to give us that little bit extra to push us up the league , although i rate both players individually , sandro probably is a better option long term for parker as he has more height and looks more dangerous when going forward ..

can you think of any midfielders that get the amount of goal returns you are asking for that play in the centre of a 4 man midfield?

The trouble is, we've got Lennon who doesn't get enough goals, Parker who doesn't contribute any, and Modric doesn't contribute much, kinda leaves a lot of pressure on Bale to get most of them from midfield, which he's done the last two seasons.

We definitely need to get a midfielder who gets goals, if that means changing the shape of the team a little then so be it.

=D>

Just watch these videos of Modric and admire how good this guy is..

[video=youtube;3ra7gqcf8Ww]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ra7gqcf8Ww[/video]

[video=youtube;kAi4OK5aQ9o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAi4OK5aQ9o[/video]

Anybody read the sun's article on modric?

Absolutely DISGUSTING journalism, no quotes, its as if theyre engineering the move for him.

LOL at The Sun...

Thaaaaaaat's right. 25 million. When we turned down 40. Let's face it, this will be a long summer if we jump to every bleat from tossers like Custis propagating the agendas of others...

My gut feeling is that he will be off but on our terms...again, that' a gut feeling...

Well my Kagawa dream is gone. African - I would love to have Modric and Kagawa in the same side. I'm working on the premise that THFC will not truely strengthen the side and keep Modric and Bale. I think the money made by a sale of one of them is the only way we'll actually invest in top flight talent. Now can we buy players at a low price? Yes. But it's rare for us.

As for Modric - I say we keep him now. Here is a great article about Modric and his true value to THFC or any top side.

The Luka Modric mystique

What is it that makes the Croat so coveted?

Luka Modric is an unusual footballer. The Croatian midfielder, who plays his club football in the Premier League for Tottenham Hotspur, is the strangest of players: a star who doesn’t seem to shine. For the first few minutes that you watch Modric in action, it’s difficult to work out exactly what he does. He gets the ball and gives it to someone else who promptly runs off and does something much more exciting with it. Then he runs -- but not very fast. And look -- now look at him. He’s standing still. And he’s raising his arms in triumph.

This description is common for Luka Modric almost every time his team scores. You see, he’s very rarely the player who tallies. He is also very rarely the player who provides the assist. But if you count one pass further back -- if you look at the person that supplies that provider -- then you’ll find him almost every time. This position, the deep-lying playmaker -- or what the Italians call the regista -- is vital in the modern game now that defenses are far more conniving and sophisticated; teams must build attacks from withdrawn positions and use more variety than the old days of "Route One" long balls, making players like Modric an essential component.

On its day, Tottenham’s attack -- led by Emmanuel Adebayor up front and Gareth Bale from the flank -- is as fearsome as they come, most notably in the 4-0 league victory over Liverpool last season. And Modric? He’s just watching quietly in the background, having drawn up the attack coordinates. What’s more is every now and then -- as he did in that Liverpool romp -- he produces a spectacular goal.

If Tottenham Hotspur is a thrilling live band, then Modric -- like, for example, Barcelona’s Xavi Hernandez and Manchester United’s Paul Scholes -- is its drummer. Arguably the most important skill in soccer is the ability to dictate the rhythm of the match. With this, a team can open up space within the ranks of the opposition. The world first saw this side of Modric when he directed Croatia’s 2-0 Euro 2008 qualifier victory over England in Zagreb. He didn’t score -- and was barely mentioned in the match reports -- but was the source of all that was lethal to England.

Two years later, millions more were aware of the danger that he posed and watched as little Luka guided his country to a 2-1 win over Germany at that tournament in the group stages. Germany, which made it to the final before succumbing to Spain, was overwhelmed by his swift, precise and perceptive passing. The great Dutch coach Rinus Michels would have called this a perfect example of “circulation football” -- the art of keeping the ball moving fluidly across the pitch as if it were a red blood cell flowing through an artery.

It is this art that will be of great value to Croatia in a difficult Euro 2012 group against Italy, the Republic of Ireland and reigning European champion Spain. With its star drummer on top form, the Azzurri struggling to find its tempo and the Irish lacking in flair, the Croats could reasonably hope to emerge in second place behind the title-holders.

Yet given the indirect nature of his influence, Modric will likely elude simple statistical analysis. There are many footballers (Robin van Persie, Lionel Messi, etc.) whose numbers immediately bear witness to their vast influence; well, the Croat isn’t one of them. Were you to assess him merely by Moneyball-style metrics, you’d come away feeling decidedly underwhelmed. For example, in the 2011-12 EPL season, he trailed Emirates Marketing Project’s David Silva by some distance in chances created from open play (by 86 to 67, according to Duncan Alexander of Opta Sports). He scored only three goals and gave only four assists.

This, though, would be an unfairly simplistic appraisal of events. Admirers of Luka Modric would ask you to look at his passing. In 36 league starts this past year, he completed the highest number of passes in the division (2215), ahead of the buccaneering Yaya Tour?® of Emirates Marketing Project (2189). What’s more, he was caught in possession many more times than the Ivorian. This last statistic is an important (and ambiguous) one. On the one hand, it suggests that Modric is less careful in possession than Tour?®; on the other, it suggests that he is more readily targeted because he is perceived as the greater threat. I would argue that the latter holds most of the truth.
Despite his diminutive frame, Modric has adapted well to the physicality of the Premier League.?® Scott Heavey/Getty Images
If the worth of Modric cannot conclusively be expressed in mere numbers, it is hinted at by the caliber of those clubs that most covet him. Last summer, Chelsea and Manchester United, seeking someone to marshal their midfields through the tricky later stages of the Champions League, both aggressively pursued Modric’s signature. Sir Alex Ferguson identified Modric, and not Gareth Bale, as his player of the 2010-11 season, while then-CFC boss Andre Villas-Boas called him “one of the greatest talents in the world, a player who will have tremendous success.” Both were repelled only by the rare resilience of Tottenham’s chairman, Daniel Levy, a feat all the more remarkable for the fact that Chelsea was reportedly offering Modric three times what he is currently earning at White Hart Lane.

Perhaps the most eloquent testimony to Modric’s talents comes from a man of very few words, but who for many years has practiced a similar brand of witchcraft at the heart of his team. When asked whether Manchester United should look to buy Modric, Samir Nasri (then at Arsenal), or Internazionale’s Wesley Sneijder, Paul Scholes was unequivocal. “Of the three, Modric, when we've played against him, has been the one I have been most impressed with,” he told the Manchester Evening News in July, 2011. “Whenever we played Tottenham, he was the one who stood out.”

The best evidence of this was the 2009 Carling Cup Final. Modric was up against Paul Scholes in midfield that day, and although Tottenham would eventually lose on penalties, the game saw the Croat at his most majestic. Time and again, he would turn away from Scholes, intercepting a pass from him here, twisting past him there, leaving the United veteran in rare discomfort. Scholes is, after all, the man whom Barcelona’s Xavi has described as “the best central midfielder I've seen in the last 15, 20 years” and whom Zinedine Zidane has called “undoubtedly the greatest midfielder of his generation.” Yet against Modric, he looked totally nonplussed; as confused, in fact, as someone who’d been asked to express just how good Modric was by using nothing but stats.

The future for Modric is thoroughly exciting given that he is one of a select group of footballers who could materially improve the world’s best teams; furthermore, Tottenham's failure to qualify for the Champions League may very well prompt him to move on this summer. His next destination is anyone’s guess; Chelsea may well rekindle their interest, as may Manchester United. Meanwhile, there is a strong argument that, had Emirates Marketing Project replaced the often pedestrian passing of Gareth Barry with that of Luka Modric, it would have won the Premier League far sooner than it did. Croatia is fortunate to have him; so, too, will be the club who can afford his rare and understated brilliance.

Musa Okwonga is a football author, blogger, poet and musician of Ugandan descent, who writes, among others, for The Blizzard and The Independent. In 2008 his first football book, A Cultured Left Foot, was nominated for the William Hill Sports Book of the Year Award; his second book, Will You Manage?, was published by Serpent's Tail in 2010. He is one half of The King's Will, an electronica outfit that blends spoken word, dubstep, and animated videos.
?® Special to ESPN.com

LOL at The Sun...

Thaaaaaaat's right. 25 million. When we turned down 40. Let's face it, this will be a long summer if we jump to every bleat from tossers like Custis propagating the agendas of others...

My gut feeling is that he will be off but on our terms...again, that' a gut feeling...

Had to laugh at the fat turd on SSN going on about this, yeh course he will go for ?ú25m hahaha

[h=1]Euro 2012: Croatia's Luka Modric will be key to opener against Ireland[/h]Croatia's Luka Modric is putting his Tottenham transfer woes behind him to focus on Euro 2012

Luka-Modric-008.jpg
Croatia's Luka Modric, a key figure in the match versus Ireland, has drawn strength from his transfer travails at Tottenham. Photograph: Darko Bandic/AP

When Luka Modric demanded to leave Tottenham Hotspur for Chelsea last summer, the club's refusal to sell came from the very top. Joe Lewis, Tottenham's billionaire benefactor, stepped in to tell the chairman, Daniel Levy, that under no circumstances should the playmaker be allowed to depart. Chelsea's ?ú40m would have made Modric the most expensive sale in Spurs' history. It did not matter. Lewis's message was clear. Tottenham were not a selling club.

If the stance reflected the esteem with which Modric is held at White Hart Lane, it also presented the supreme test of the Croatian's professionalism and mental toughness. When the transfer window closed in September 2011, Modric had to consider a long season ahead with a club he felt he had outgrown. Some players might have lost their way. Modric merely refocused and set about spearheading the challenge for Champions League qualification. Nobody could quibble about his effort or form.

The 26-year-old has an inner steel that makes a mockery of the pressure on his slight shoulders. He enters Euro 2012 and Croatia's opening Group C fixture against the Republic of Ireland in Poznan on Sunday as the fulcrum of the team, the man who has to perform if his country is to progress from a tough pool also featuring Spain and Italy.

In the background is his club situation. Modric still wants to leave Tottenham, particularly after their failure to make the Champions League and his issue with Levy is unresolved; he accused him of reneging on a gentleman's agreement last summer to allow him to talk to an interested big club. Modric has ignored the sop of improved terms at Tottenham.

His problem is the six-year contract he signed in the summer of 2010, which gives Levy plenty of leverage. Talk to agents and they tut-tut about the wisdom of the player being advised to autograph that piece of A4. Levy remains adamant that Modric will not be sold this summer, and it would be over his dead body where Chelsea and Manchester United are concerned. But an offer upwards of ?ú50m could have restorative powers.

Modric is not an outspoken person. He rarely gives interviews, he does not court the limelight and he zealously guards the privacy of his family life. But when he does speak publicly, there is a frankness and simplicity about his views. Modric can do nothing about the background noises, which are typically loud around the Croatia camp at present, but his single-mindedness tends to get him through.

"The way I recovered from last summer has to do with who I am as a person," he told Totalsport in Croatia. "It's not in my character to give in to disappointment and let it affect my performance. I behaved like nothing had happened. Obviously it was hard for me because my wish to move wasn't granted. But as soon as it became clear that I wasn't going anywhere, I knew I would keep putting in my best, just like I had before.

"It never crossed my mind that I could start behaving in any other way. That's how I was taught and I just don't know how to do things differently. The transfer window was over and there was nothing left to distract me – that was, mentally, the crucial thing for me and that's when my inner strength started to show."

Modric's character was forged in the midst of childhood adversity. At the age of six, as the Croatian war of independence raged, he and his family were forced to flee their home to became refugees in Zadar. His father served in the army and his grandfather would be lost to the conflict.
Modric had little. His first pair of shin-pads were made of wood but, despite his fragile appearance, nobody pushed him around and the setbacks, chief among them a rejection by Hadjuk Split, only made him stronger.

Having signed with Dynamo Zagreb as a teenager, he was loaned to Zrinjski in the Bosnian Premier League, which, to put it politely, was Europe's most combative division. Aged 18, Modric was the league's player of the year. The Premier League's hard-men have looked like pussycats.

Ireland are wary of Modric. When the manager, Giovanni Trapattoni, complained about how his team had allowed Hungary's creative midfielders too much space in Monday's friendly, it was with Modric in mind. Ireland's players have respectfully name-checked him all week.

Slaven Bilic admitted that "everyone expects the most from Luka … if he plays well, the team play well", and the Croatia manager has done everything to refresh Modric after a tiring season, in which he started 36 Premier League games. Bilic rested him during the 1-1 friendly draw against Norway and he has devised a special training programme for him.

Modric dictates Croatia's rhythm with his passing from a deep-lying central midfield role, in what is broadly a 4-4-2 formation, but Bilic will also encourage him to break forward and shoot. Even without the injured striker Ivica Olic, Croatia have attractive options up front. But they will take their lead from Modric. The man in the spotlight oozes assurance.

"When we are at our best, we can cope with just about any opponent, even the Spaniards," Modric said. "Our key players are in their prime and on a good day, we can beat anyone. We have shown that many times."

Back