• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Modric - No Longer A Spurs Player

Re: Ratface Revisited.

When did he refuse to play for our team?

As mentioned, the trip to the USA for the friendlies (which subsequently pretty much ruled him out of the August games too as he was behind in fitness). Not to mention the first game at Old Trafford the season before last where 'his head wasn't right'; a total cop-out and easy to read between the lines.

Plus he does all this after the fans stood by him, giving him a rousing reception when he came on against Bilbao. So he can spout all the banal platitudes that he wishes, but actions speak louder than words.

Hoddle left, Waddle left, Gasgoigne left, Sheringham left and came back, Campbell left, Carrick left, Keane left and came back, Berbatov left, Modric left and van der Vaart left.

Only three receive substantial criticism and I don't think it difficult to see why. Its not the moving on that is bringing them criticism, its how they did it.

Hoddle left, Waddle left, Gasgoigne left, Sheringham left and came back, Campbell left, Carrick left, Keane left and came back, Berbatov left, Modric left and van der Vaart left.

Only three receive substantial criticism and I don't think it difficult to see why. Its not the moving on that is bringing them criticism, its how they did it.

Exactly

The weird part of all of this is that the same people that paint Modric as the villian who was not loyal are the same who turn on players who arent so good like Jenas who oddly are the villian for not leaving...How do you justify the difference in opinion?

The weird part of all of this is that the same people that paint Modric as the villian who was not loyal are the same who turn on players who arent so good like Jenas who oddly are the villian for not leaving...How do you justify the difference in opinion?

Personally, I don't rate Jenas, but I've never booed him and also don't hold it against him for staying rather than going to a smaller club and/or taking a paycut.

There is hypocrisy and you're right to point it out, I think supporters just want players to give everything whilst they are here, again not asking that much considering how well paid they are.

I know it's a two way street and the clubs don't always show the same loyalty, and it does grate on me when clubs get rid of players who have been at the club a long time and have actually showed loyalty, and the player has to hear about it from someone else i.e. the media. Shows a lack of class.

You do have a point, a lot of supporters have double standards. They slag off players like Modric and Berby for allegedly refusing to play, but many would have been happy to sign Ba ( Saudi Sportswashing Machine) who to get his move to England went on strike at Hoffenhiem and refused to go on tour or train.

You do have a point, a lot of supporters have double standards. They slag off players like Modric and Berby for allegedly refusing to play, but many would have been happy to sign Ba ( Saudi Sportswashing Machine) who to get his move to England went on strike at Hoffenhiem and refused to go on tour or train.

And Dempsey who refused to play for Fulham.

For whatever reasons Modric was unavailable for the first games of our season when he was fit and able to play, the same thing happened at the start of last season, Nasri, RVP and others have played for their existing club right up to the moving date, Modric was unprofesional and treated us like brick therefore he can feck off as far as I am concerned he is just a nobody, what is wrong with you people, the way he has behaved is unexcuseable.

For whatever reasons Modric was unavailable for the first games of our season when he was fit and able to play, the same thing happened at the start of last season, Nasri, RVP and others have played for their existing club right up to the moving date, Modric was unprofesional and treated us like brick therefore he can feck off as far as I am concerned he is just a nobody, what is wrong with you people, the way he has behaved is unexcuseable.

Would you have been happy is we had signed Demba Ba?

Oh come on, try and cut him a just a bit of slack.. Modric was an absolutely outstanding servant for the club whenever his head wasn't consumed with all the shenanigans that come with a major, MAJOR transfer. All who know him report he is essentially a decent guy so I for one am prepared to accept that he suffered more than most from TSO - Transfer Speculation Overload. Some can handle it, obviously he cannot.

I refuse to allow this particular abberation to obliviate the memory of his consistently sublime performances for our club over four glorious years and would submit that anyone who does so is simply cutting off their nose to spite their face.

well if you sign a contract then its right to make good. so no issues with jenas or bentley staying. club took the risk and sorta lost.

modric.... well specualtion is that there was a gentlemen's understanding despite the contract extension. this is where it gets all hairy. I believe modric and levy couldn't agree on the sell-by date.

Yet when van der Vaart does the same thing, it's an act of absolute class. In truth, the only difference between the two is b).

Oddly enough, I don't have any hard feelings either. Though I have to admit that Modric has always been Dinamo scum to me. When bigger clubs come knocking for one of your player on a regular basis, you know the writing is on the wall. That's just the way it is. I don't resent Berbatov either. At the end of the day, their strikes had zero effect on the team. On the other hand, selling Berbatov on deadline day had a disastrous effect on our season.

The best you can hope for is to get a fair deal and identify a replacement as quickly as you can. From that point of view, Campbell's or Sheringham's departures were much more painful, as far as I'm concerned.

Van Der Vaart is an emotive topic. I don't deny that we as fans tend to be a bit hypocritical when it comes to praising one player and denigrating another, but VdV didn't refuse to play because his head wasn't right, nor did he agitate publicly for a move, nor did he undermine the club's position and our bargaining ability when it came to the fee we wanted for him. Modric did all these things. Ergo, one player is praised for what he says, the other is more carefully scrutinized when he opens up.

Still, for what it's worth, book's closed. I have no doubt Modric will eventually become Alonso's replacement, so good luck to him. And it's time we moved on and forgot about him. Though, in closing, he did do one bit of good for us when he broke most of our hearts by belittling the club and demanding a move to Chelsea; he allowed Daniel to say 'no' and enable us to stand our ground, because his behavior (and the presence of good old 'Arry at the helm, of course) helped keep the press onside, where in another situation they'd have butchered Levy for not letting Modric move to Chelsea.

As mentioned, the trip to the USA for the friendlies (which subsequently pretty much ruled him out of the August games too as he was behind in fitness). Not to mention the first game at Old Trafford the season before last where 'his head wasn't right'; a total cop-out and easy to read between the lines.

Plus he does all this after the fans stood by him, giving him a rousing reception when he came on against Bilbao. So he can spout all the banal platitudes that he wishes, but actions speak louder than words.

Apart from the US Tour - not being selected by management due to his 'head not being right' and refusing to play outright are two fundamentally separate conditions as far as I'm concerned.

To think we could have had Modric, Carrick and Berbatov playing in a team with Bale, Lennon, Gallas and King. With BAE, Walker, Friedel and Defoe.
With a few notable exceptions, that's a potential title winning team.

Van Der Vaart is an emotive topic. I don't deny that we as fans tend to be a bit hypocritical when it comes to praising one player and denigrating another, but VdV didn't refuse to play because his head wasn't right, nor did he agitate publicly for a move, nor did he undermine the club's position and our bargaining ability when it came to the fee we wanted for him. Modric did all these things. Ergo, one player is praised for what he says, the other is more carefully scrutinized when he opens up.

Still, for what it's worth, book's closed. I have no doubt Modric will eventually become Alonso's replacement, so good luck to him. And it's time we moved on and forgot about him. Though, in closing, he did do one bit of good for us when he broke most of our hearts by belittling the club and demanding a move to Chelsea; he allowed Daniel to say 'no' and enable us to stand our ground, because his behavior (and the presence of good old 'Arry at the helm, of course) helped keep the press onside, where in another situation they'd have butchered Levy for not letting Modric move to Chelsea.

You're right about van der Vaart. He didn't ask for a move either. However, it's more than likely that both Berbatov and Modric were convinced to stay for one more year with the promise of Champions League football. In the end, we failed to get there (twice) and they decided to move on.

I can understand the hard feelings, even if I don't share them but I do find it strange to slag a guy who's having kind words for your club. Of course, they're probably disingenuous but that's pretty much the same with every player in the world. How many players at City spend their time explaining what a great club this is, when they'd be turning up for Notts County if the wages were more attractive.

That said, it's a small world and you never know when a good word from an ex-player might come in handy.

Back