• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mighty Spurs vs SCBC

The front three have nit shone, mainly because the passing of those behind them has been atrocious.
The amount of times I’ve seen rubbish balls into Moura I’ve lost count of. It’s like players think oh it’s Moura, he has good close control and can wriggle out of situations so it doesn’t matter about the quality of ball. Then people blame Moura for losing it which often is wrong….

The amount of times I’ve seen rubbish balls into Moura I’ve lost count of. It’s like players think oh it’s Moura, he has good close control and can wriggle out of situations so it doesn’t matter about the quality of ball. Then people blame Moura for losing it which often is wrong….

Agree, we dont have good enough players to make lucas work effectively in a 343. After another transfer window maybe but if we persist in the meantime the same issues will simply reoccur.

The front three have nit shone, mainly because the passing of those behind them has been atrocious.

I saw Kane get some stick on here the other night. I felt sorry for him. He was absolutely isolated. A couple of times he didn't make it stick when he should have done better but the majority of the time, I could have played up top because the chances of any forward getting the ball with what was going on in defence and midfield was minimal.

Just posted that on another thread
There are three main culprits who give Moura shocking passes (some say a top player should deal with any pass but I disagree)… royal, Sanchez and Hojberg. They pass the ball like bomb and it’s bouncing half the time or behind him. Moura isn’t superb technically but he is a capable player. He sometimes deals with them and turns out of danger but a lot of the time he has to give it back in a worse state than when it was passed to him

I agree completely with this.

Too often Lucas is anonymous in games, with the last two shining examples. And that should not happen at home to brighton and soton. Not his fault necessarily, but perhaps we aren’t strong enough in other positions to play a 343 effectively. Its time to routinely play 352.

lloris
romero, dier, davies
doherty, skipp, bentancur, reguilon
kulu
kane, son

Kulu can then drop in to make it a 3 in midfield where needed, whilst generally playing just ahead of skipp and bentancur.

If he struggles in that role, then winks or hojbjerg could come in for him and rotate the specific roles the selected midfield 3 perform accordingly.

I will be very disappointed if conte just sends out the same front 3 and formation against wolves. It will just lead to another good team dominating us like brighton and soton did, and we will just be relying on ‘moments’ from son and kane to get us out of jail.

A successful end to our season hinges on these changes being made asap.

Not sure Wolves will play like Southampton did in that first half, do you?

Not sure Doherty would be an upgrade on Royal in the circumstances we had against Southampton, but may be a good fit for the Wolves game.

Think a front three would be fine against Wolves, but probably slightly prefer a midfield three.

I saw Kane get some stick on here the other night. I felt sorry for him. He was absolutely isolated. A couple of times he didn't make it stick when he should have done better but the majority of the time, I could have played up top because the chances of any forward getting the ball with what was going on in defence and midfield was minimal.

But conversely if he did press more we may have won the ball higher up. The fact he made no sprints all game says a lot IMO
When Kane plays well, we play well

But conversely if he did press more we may have won the ball higher up. The fact he made no sprints all game says a lot IMO

He does have to play every second of every game though. He is probably having to manage himself so he can take this workload without doing a hamstring or similar.

He does have to play every second of every game though. He is probably having to manage himself so he can take this workload without doing a hamstring or similar.
Maybe save himself for the games where is less needed… not the ones where we’re being out worked and outplayed

One player cannot press on their own. It needs to be co-ordinated. The midfielders, Reggie and Emerson are key to us pressing effectively and, aside from the first 10 mins of the second half and a bit towards the end, we didn't press the other night. I hold Kane 0% responsible for Wednesday. I've lost a lot of time for him over the summer shenanigans but I felt sorry for him on Wednesday. To be spending what should be his best years isolated at home to Southampton is no way for him to be spending his career. We need to up our game.

One player cannot press on their own. It needs to be co-ordinated. The midfielders, Reggie and Emerson are key to us pressing effectively and, aside from the first 10 mins of the second half and a bit towards the end, we didn't press the other night. I hold Kane 0% responsible for Wednesday. I've lost a lot of time for him over the summer shenanigans but I felt sorry for him on Wednesday. To be spending what should be his best years isolated at home to Southampton is no way for him to be spending his career. We need to up our game.
I agree
You can’t press on your own
But the press starts with the attack

We put too much energy into the Brighton game, a complete waste of resource.

I think the issues are more fundamental than that. Indeed similar problems were evident against brighton.

In these two games the opposition have had far too much of the ball.

Against leicester we played extremely well, had the ball a great deal and created numerous chances. That game we played 352….

I think the issues are more fundamental than that. Indeed similar problems were evident against brighton.

In these two games the opposition have had far too much of the ball.

Against leicester we played extremely well, had the ball a great deal and created numerous chances. That game we played 352….

Agree that similar problems were evident against Brighton and in many other games. Part of why I was led positive about the Brighton game than some.

Leicester was much better, with a midfield three. Leicester were on fairly poor form iirc, and missing several key players. And they play a different style to Southampton.

I don't mind us having less of the ball in some games and phases of games. As long as we can launch good counter attacks and defend well. Against Southampton we did neither really. I'm not convinced a midfield three does much to fix that.

We agree on there being fundamental shortcomings. For me that's down to quality on the ball in "deeper" areas. Goalkeeper, centre backs, wing backs, midfielders. Too many of them not at the required level, makes it really difficult to deal with good high pressing teams. I think a formation change does little to fix that.

Conte's work over time, getting better ball playing players back and in time into the team from transfers. That will gradually start sorting that out. But there's no quick fix.

If we had a big hold up centre forward then our lack of ability to beat the press is minimised. Players can punt the ball up to him to hold up and our attacking players and midfielders can then get into the game. Without this weapon our limitations are severely exposed. This same weakness was shown up in every game against Chelsea.
And yet neither Emirates Marketing Project or Liverpool use a big hold up centre forward…. I’d rather have the brilliant Kane up front and improve our options in midfield and centre back so that our starters are comfortable on the ball.

Back