• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mighty Spurs vs. Emirates Marketing Project

Having now watched the game in full on Sky in a relaxed warm elated mood, I ask myself why doesn't Piers Morgan, no sorry it was Martin Tyler just say "I f****** hate Spurs, and they were very lucky with every decision and did not deserve to win this game" instead of his constant dripping of negative comments throughout the game, really spoilt the evening for me.

Having now watched the game in full on Sky in a relaxed warm elated mood, I ask myself why doesn't Piers Morgan, no sorry it was Martin Tyler just say "I f****** hate Spurs, and they were very lucky with every decision and did not deserve to win this game" instead of his constant dripping of negative comments throughout the game, really spoilt the evening for me.

He Kept on calling for city to score to make a game of it.... He was calling everything against us where he could

He Kept on calling for city to score to make a game of it.... He was calling everything against us where he could

At the end of the day fack these brassed agenda driven pundits, we don't need some d1ckheads approval to recognise our qualities as a team, as a club or in the game yesterday. These things are self evident to us all, we are the mighty spurs COYS!!

At the end of the day fack these biassed agenda driven pundits, we don't need some d1ckheads approval to recognise our qualities as a team, as a club or in the game yesterday. These things are self evident to us all, we are the mighty spurs COYS!!

Have not read through the whole thread as it has been a busy time ( :) ) but I have to ask, has anyone mentioned the fact that Otterbollox should've been off in the first-half for three certain yellow card offense and Sterling should've been off in the second? At one point I thought Rhyme Of The Ancient was giving Emirates Marketing Project everything, which can sometimes destabilize a side. We showed our learning curve by refusing to get ruffled. Also, re: pen...10 minutes later, Son on the ball, Lamela making a run, Son looks to find him. Brilliant. Made my day. No grudges with these boys, it is unity all the way.

I was not surprised.
We are a fine fine squad still hitting stride.
The collective learns from everything very very fast, and what we saw today was an aggressive, hungry and very physical Spurs playing fairly on the line. The passion of Chelski away under control. Yeah...we are growing and growing. The best is yet to come.
This is absolutely the closest I have come to a love-in since Burky days (false dawn with BMJ, I never could love Redknapp)...I stand FIRMLY by my thread of a month or so ago regarding Pochettino. Firmly.
Happy days.

Good point actually - on the aggression of Chelsea away but in a controlled manner. I thought similar looking at the body language of the players and the expressions on their faces. You could just tell they were focused and confident.

What a game! I was so very happy with the way we played and the atmosphere in the stadium. That first half was possibly the best that I have ever seen us play. There won't be many teams that would keep a clean sheet against Emirates Marketing Project and for us to be without Dembele, Dier and Kane speaks volumes about the depth of our squad. To have won the game 3-0 would have been fantastic, but I'd much rather have a number of players confident of scoring a penalty than shirkers who will leave it to others. Thankfully it did not cost us, and I would imagine that something like that would never happen again either.

All our players were 8 or 9 out of 10 for me, and we made them (especially Aguero and Sterling) look pretty average. Special mentions to Son, Wanyama (MOM), Toby and Jan who I thought were absolutely excellent.

One final word on the atmosphere. If we make WHL sound like that for every home game, no opposition team will enjoy it. Honestly cannot fathom how it could have been better except for having 30 odd thousand more supporters. Thankfully we are working on that!

Our take on the weekend's best team performance, goal, player... and our biggest gripe

Performance of the Weekend – Tottenham

Indulge Tottenham's supporters for a minute, because in the week preceding Sunday's game, their team had been patronisingly reduced to a support act.

Instead of a contest between last season's third- and fourth-place team, this was billed as an opportunity for them to bow at the alter of Pep Guardiola and to get a first-hand look at 2016/17's benchmark side. They were the Washington Generals, what a privilege to have the Globetrotters in town. Pull up a chair, maybe learn something?

READ THIS
image: http://images.cdn.fourfourtwo.com/s...yhmo5ojbkvmq1cnqfdv6a05a2_1.jpg?itok=uPY1QA6Z

delealli-cropped_yhmo5ojbkvmq1cnqfdv6a05a2_1.jpg

Not so. Emirates Marketing Project remain an ominous force, but they were out-played, out-thought and ultimately out-coached this weekend. Mauricio Pochettino's front four, incorporating Son Heung-min as a nominal forward, regularly zig-zagged their way through Guardiola's backline and created a stream of chances which, reasonably, should have resulted in more than just a couple of goals. It was a particularly fluid sort of potency.

Son played at the formation's tip, coping admirably in central areas and buzzing with intent in the channels, but the collective movement within the unit often seemed too spontaneously eclectic for City to cope. Spurs were a threat on the front foot, they looked lethal on the break; the result was a multi-dimensional problem which flummoxed their opponents for the entire game.

Returning duo Kyle Walker and Danny Rose spent the afternoon roaring back and forth, and Dele Alli periodically darted into the more advanced areas, but the attacking system as a whole – constructed hastily in response to Harry Kane's injury – was illogically harmonious.

image: http://images.cdn.fourfourtwo.com/s...ne-image/public/eriksen_3_1.jpg?itok=XcPBMF84

eriksen_3_1.jpg

Tottenham are keen to show that last season was not a fluke

But as is more often becoming the case with Spurs, this was was a complete performance. Attacking intent is nothing new at the Lane, but composed front-running definitely is. How often in the past, in this type of game, have Tottenham started well, found themselves in a winning position, and then conspired to drop points? They are a notoriously fragile club who play in front of an habitually fearful crowd; that's as engrained in the culture as the crest or the colours. So here was more evidence of a broken habit.

While the fans nervously checked their watch and braced for City's inevitable show of strength, it never actually arrived. In fact, it was never given a chance to materialise.

NEWS
image: http://images.cdn.fourfourtwo.com/s...d3nj6ar62x6914h91wy8najd7_1.jpg?itok=FTYZ9kqx

mauriciopochettino-cropped_d3nj6ar62x6914h91wy8najd7_1.jpg

Just as Pochettino's players attack in numbers, they also oppress en masse: the front five hassled Guardiola's defence mercilessly, restricting the flow of possession into midfield. But, when they were able to skip that high press, City typically stumbled into the jaws of a resolute defence. Toby Alderweireld and Jan Vertonghen subdued the menace of Sergio Aguero and defused any aerial threat. In front of them, Victor Wanyama was the game's outstanding player, blocking up passing channels, bullying City's diminutive playmakers off the ball and seizing the initiative back for his side.

The end of Guardiola's winning sequence will spawn hand-wringing in the north-west and, perhaps, reckless long-term thinking in north London.

But this should be celebrated for what it was in the here and now: a mighty performance which should remind everyone that, regardless of what has been spent and who has arrived, Tottenham remain one of the best teams in the country.

Player of the Weekend – Victor Wanyama

Wanyama was done a slight disservice after his Champions League performance in Moscow. Though integral to Tottenham's win in Russia, his thunder was somewhat stolen by Pochettino's late tactical reshuffle and Son's subsequent goal.

That mistake won't be made again: the Kenyan was unequivocally the outstanding player in his side's 2-0 win over Emirates Marketing Project.

Wanyama came to White Hart Lane with a few caveats, most notably over his discipline. But while his reputation casts him as a tough, sometimes clumsy tackler with a habit of collecting yellow cards, he will have added a few layers to that perception this weekend. Naturally, he also found time to be booked for a reducing challenge on the edge of his own box, but Victor is Victor.

What separated Wanyama from his team's performance was his contribution to helping them protect their winning position. With Pep Guardiola missing the influential Kevin De Bruyne, City's attacking emphasis narrowed on the middle of the pitch and the burden fell on David Silva and his dainty creativity.

image: http://images.cdn.fourfourtwo.com/s...-image/public/silva_wanyama.jpg?itok=Cq-klxwv

silva_wanyama.jpg

Wanyama has been protecting his backline well

There were only brick walls, though, and until a late flurry of advanced possession, the visitors failed to regularly infiltrate the areas in front of the home box. That was largely Wanyama's doing. For someone who is new to this squad, he has adapted admirably to it.

With Moussa Dembele still injured and Eric Dier only fit enough to make the bench, he started alongside Alli who, among his many abilities, is neither a natural ball-winner nor an orthodox central midfielder. Inevitably, there were gaps to plug and spaces to cover and, in addition to his efficient use of possession and occasional attacking bursts, Wanyama filled it all. He was, as the banal observation goes, everywhere.

Because of his size and physical gifts, it's tempting for some to portray him as a pure nullifier. Sunday showed just what a fallacy that is, because Wanyama protected his defence as much with his anticipation as his tenacity.

He's a wonderful athlete and one who undeniably enjoys certain advantages over smaller opponents, but that shouldn't obscure how well he reads attacking situations and how effective he is at shutting them down. That was the crux of his performance: it wasn't predicated so much on what he can do on a football pitch, more on how much of it he's able to see at any one time.

Tottenham didn't panic on Sunday and they didn't keep a clean sheet by hurling bodies at goal-bound shots or being reliant on Hugo Lloris. That was to their collective credit but, you suspect, it also owed something to the calm, cerebral tone set by Wanyama.

And, for those who persist in challenging his control and sense of responsibility, it's worth noting that he spent almost an hour of that game on a yellow card. A tightrope walked, but impressively so

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features...-top-team-player-and-moan#t2FeV7O2R8peKFd1.99

What a game, it was great to watch and the atmopshere was as good as i have heard at the Lane for quite a while. So many good performances by our players it was hard to select a MOM. We never let City settle into their game and we kept at it for the whole 90 minutes.

We now have a squad that looks the dogs gonad*s and because of that Poch now feels able to select a team that can play several different set ups. As i have allready said picking a MOM was really hard Toby, Jan, Son, Walker all had very good games but for me it was Wanyama who was everywhere.

While the fans nervously checked their watch and braced for City's inevitable show of strength, it never actually arrived. In fact, it was never given a chance to materialise.

This is what I am reading on almost all fan sites.

This is what I am reading on almost all fan sites.

City are a very good side ( and i still expect them to win the Prem this year), they did have some good moments yesterday and they did not ( as some may believe) play poorly. It was more a case of us not allowing them the freedom to play the way they usually do and we never let them settle. The question is i do not think there are many teams who are capable of doing this to them and because of that i would still have them as favourites to finish winners.

City are a very good side ( and i still expect them to win the Prem this year), they did have some good moments yesterday and they did not ( as some may believe) play poorly. It was more a case of us not allowing them the freedom to play the way they usually do and we never let them settle. The question is i do not think there are many teams who are capable of doing this to them and because of that i would still have them as favourites to finish winners.

Most teams brick themselves when they play em and are beaten before leaving the tunnel

There was a tiny bit of me nervously waiting for it I'll admit, that's the old Tottenham still lingering in the back of my brain trying to soften the blow. But this Tottenham is a different animal, when we go ahead now I feel a lot more confident we will see the game out.

Most teams brick themselves when they play em and are beaten before leaving the tunnel

I can't dance with that, however most teams have no got the players ( or manager) to combat their strengths ( like we did yesterday). They are a good side with lots of good players and will get better ( imo) under Pep and IF i had to have bet now who would win the Prem it would be them.

I can't dance with that, however most teams have no got the players ( or manager) to combat their strengths ( like we did yesterday). They are a good side with lots of good players and will get better ( imo) under Pep and IF i had to have bet now who would win the Prem it would be them.

Don't disagree with the betting comment but as we all know stranger thunag have happened in football

Leiceter as this point last season had 15 points

city had 15 (I think) and lost to West Ham and then us at this stage and also lost de Bruyne so nothing different for them (and there next games are Southampton and Everton)

We had 12 I think so we're well up already on similar fixtures too (Everton are as good as United for example)

Don't disagree with the betting comment but as we all know stranger thunag have happened in football

Leiceter as this point last season had 15 points

city had 15 (I think) and lost to West Ham and then us at this stage and also lost de Bruyne so nothing different for them (and there next games are Southampton and Everton)

We had 12 I think so we're well up already on similar fixtures too (Everton are as good as United for example)

All good points.

Nah, fook staying cool. I'll keep flying high until our next game.

Also; it was never a penalty, not in a million years. Jan got the ball, and it was clear to see in the replay, even though Sky desperately tried to ignore that fact. End of discussion.
Neville said at the time it wasn't a pen, to be fair.

Back