• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Micky van de Ven

Probably Tosin but he prefers Monaco for some reason.

But Fulham want him to join us as our bid is nearly three times as much as the French minnows.

Just straight swap him for Sessegnon (I know he's injured at the moment, but it could still be done). Surely that suits everyone?

Just straight swap him for Sessegnon (I know he's injured at the moment, but it could still be done). Surely that suits everyone?

Fulham are already on board with Tosin joining us but reports suggest the player himself is currently refusing to join us because he wants to go to Monaco.

Agree, but lets hope that VdV has someone he can trust next to him:D As Romero is pretty unreliable himself, and its not all down to having a sub standard CB next to him....
Romero has that tendency to push far up. It’s very risky but if he knows he’s got a covering CB with speed to clean up his messes, it might actually work. But yeah I agree, Romero himself admitted he has to clean up his act. I only hope not having a World Cup in the middle of a season helps on that front. There really are no excuses for him with no continental soccer either.

I think Romero will be more of the stopper and VdV will be the cover. The BBC article made it seem like he’s a good ball carrier but I also hope he can be strong in aerial duels as we really need that when defending corners and set pieces (especially if Kane goes).
Either way, they hopefully complement each other and Romero has someone he can trust next to him.

Apparently aerial strength is his biggest weakness but that can be worked on.

True. But between them Vertoghen and King have locked out that left-side CB role for most of this century.

And, like them, vdV looks a quick stylish player; whereas our right-siders (Dawson, Alderweireld, Romero) have been the tougher, more aggressive ones.

kinda true - I wouldn't say there was a lot between Jan and Toby in terms of guile - they both played full back for Belgium after all....

kinda true - I wouldn't say there was a lot between Jan and Toby in terms of guile - they both played full back for Belgium after all....

Didn't Toby hold some kind of record of lack of actual tackle dived into or something? Seem to remember a feature about him never leaving his feet for a tackle for months or something..

Didn't Toby hold some kind of record of lack of actual tackle dived into or something? Seem to remember a feature about him never leaving his feet for a tackle for months or something..

The best defenders do not have to dive in a lot, its all about reading the situation and dealing with it without having to throw themselves in a last gasp tackle. Jan was a master of that.

The best defenders do not have to dive in a lot, its all about reading the situation and dealing with it without having to throw themselves in a last gasp tackle. Jan was a master of that.

Good defenders make tackles
Excellent defenders make interceptions
Elite defenders threaten the pass so much that it never gets played in the first place

As a kid I remember being told by the late Bill Shipwright to stay on my feet when tackling as you were either out of the game or you would be stamped on.

From another expert defender...
c55b16e94b9b57bfa243090f0da50f2b.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918B using Fapatalk

Back