• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Micky van de Ven

I love a good armchair injury expert. Like we don't have a literal team of doctors, physios and other medical professionals looking after these players every single day.

This guy is just superb. What a player. 22 and looks so experienced and calm. Built like a truck but can compete with anyone on speed. I'm just very very impressed with him. Wow. What a player we've got on our books!
He's fantastic. As you say only 22, but plays like a seasoned experienced player.

So happy with him and for us for having him.

Got the impression he's building in confidence. New country, new team. Think he will be a leader and eventually take the armband from son. Hope so.

What's interesting is how he sits next to others

- Royal and Davies showed us how bad Dier & Sanchez really were
- Romero & VDV as a partnership show the step up
- VDV next to Romero actually looks the better defender (and I rate Romero very highly)

- VDV next to Romero actually looks the better defender (and I rate Romero very highly)
Romero is imo better at stepping up, one on one defending vs someone running at him. Some of his involvements even just in the last couple of games like that have been fantastic.

Romero is also better in the air imo and on the ball.

VdV is obviously faster. But other than that I struggle to see what he does better than Romero?

Romero is imo better at stepping up, one on one defending vs someone running at him. Some of his involvements even just in the last couple of games like that have been fantastic.

VdV is obviously faster. But other than that I struggle to see what he does better than Romero?

Don't think Romero is better in the air but debateable, out of the three, think Dragusin in his few minutes has shown he's better aerially than both of them.

VDV's tackling is way better than Romero's, cleaner, less "need" to partially take player. I'd also say his one to one is better because he knows he can just run with player and guide them out. He's also seemingly more consistent, Romero has moments.

As I said, I rate Romero, but in this system, and considering the age/experience gap, it says a lot about VDV

Don't think Romero is better in the air but debateable, out of the three, think Dragusin in his few minutes has shown he's better aerially than both of them.

VDV's tackling is way better than Romero's, cleaner, less "need" to partially take player. I'd also say his one to one is better because he knows he can just run with player and guide them out. He's also seemingly more consistent, Romero has moments.

As I said, I rate Romero, but in this system, and considering the age/experience gap, it says a lot about VDV
Both need to be better in the air
It’s a weakness
Romero is ok for his height
VDV is taller and needs to be more dominant

Interesting. We see things a bit different on them.

I think VdV is more vulnerable in the air and to some extent physically despite his size. Romero is more dominant imo. I agree Dragusin is probably a step above him again in the air.

I agree that in situations where he can run with players and guide them out VdV is probably better, again because of his speed. In "stepping up" defending, or making a tackle in a head on one vs one situation I think Romero is better. It's part of why he does it quite a lot whereas VdV is more passive. Makes for a good partnership imo with both players capable of both, but with different direct strengths.

I think VdV looks more consistent because he is a bit more passive. More selective in when he goes for the tackle. Had he tried to make some of the tackles Romero does he would look a lot less consistent. Him being more passive is not a bad thing, him playing to his strengths within the system and with the partner he has is a very good thing. Just that he couldn't do what Romero does because Romero is better at it.

i see players continually trying to take on romero up to the dying minutes. on the other hand, i see players already dying inside when they look up and see its vdv again down the wing.

i see players continually trying to take on romero up to the dying minutes. on the other hand, i see players already dying inside when they look up and see its vdv again down the wing.
Trying because Romero puts himself in positions where they can take him on with a dribble. VdV less so.

Of course no player would like to get into a race with VdV down the wing or anywhere. But as I hope I've made clear that's not the kind of situations I'm describing above.

I think Romero is very good at pro-active defending and VDV very good at reactive defending with obviously some overlap with the two skill sets.

What it does undoubtedly make for, is a perfect partnership. A partnership that's almost hit the ground running.

I think Romero is very good at pro-active defending and VDV very good at reactive defending with obviously some overlap with the two skill sets.

What it does undoubtedly make for, is a perfect partnership. A partnership that's almost hit the ground running.
This is pretty much how I see it too. And that overlap is important. Not just a "cat and dog" CB partnership, but one where both can also do the other part quite well.

For me though Romero is also a very good reactive defender. Whereas VdV so far it's good, but not as excellent at the proactive stuff as Romero is at the reactive stuff. Again, other than pace I don't quite see what VdV does better than Romero.

Both need to be better in the air
It’s a weakness
Romero is ok for his height
VDV is taller and needs to be more dominant
I think Romero has been really good in the air all season. Doubt he'll improve much in that regard. VdV could definitely improve with time, but lad, but not dominant with his height or strength.

I think Romero has been really good in the air all season. Doubt he'll improve much in that regard. VdV could definitely improve with time, but lad, but not dominant with his height or strength.
Romero is 6’1 I think and is good as he will get. But his aerial ability is average IMO
Micky is below average for this league where we have defenders who make a career out of heading

I don’t really care how other teams do it, might just be that everyone else is really brick at it.

I’d say anything that stops us keeping clean sheets is a major issue.
Wrong.

Anything that stops us winning games is a major issue.
If (and I don't know this) some of our players are deliberately positioned to enable us to counter quicker and break away, then that's understandable.
If the judgement of the coach is that, once the team gets close to implementing his style, we shall score more than we do currently but leave ourselves a tiny bit more open to set piece goals then...maybe he's right.
I'll certainly give him more than a couple of games to try and effect a reasonable riposte to a new source of pressure.

Fastest players in the Premier League (km/h)​

1. Micky Van De Ven - 37.38

2. Chiedozie Ogbene - 36.93

3. Pedro Neto - 36.86

4. Dominik Szoboszlai - 36.76

5. Dara O'Shea - 36.73

6. Anthony Gordon - 36.68

7. Amadou Onana - 36.65

Stats courtesy of Sky Sports
It's absolutely ridiculous to use 2 decimal places on something measured in such a subjective way across varying distances. Better to just say they are all 37kmh; the measurement error will be large.

Back