• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Michael Dawson

"We started lumping it didn't we? No, that wasn't part of the plan. The pitch was bumpy and the players weren't comfortable passing the ball on it so we ended up going long, which wasn't what we wanted to do."

so playing like 1990's wimbledon wasnt part of the plan

But, but Mick said it had to be the plan because only a mong would think otherwise? So confusing...

it always makes me laugh when the mongs on the board slate Dawson for playing these passes, as if he just decides in some game s to do it, as if it were a panic move.
It rearely occurs to people that he might actually be following team orders...

Dawson plays long balls more than most of our defenders because his close control isn't great and he isn't confident at all on the ball when being closed down even slightly. So, if our midfielders and other defenders don't offer good short options he will always go long more than King, Kaboul or Ekotto. I don't think that will ever change. With Parker and Livermore in central midfield and no Ekotto in the team there was always going to be some long hoof looking balls coming from Dawson.

He is actually quite good at those long passes, no worse than our other central defenders I'm quite sure. But that's slightly besides the point as it's not really the accuracy, but frequency people are complaining about.

The Dawson to Crouch long ball used to do my head in, so boring to watch even if sometimes effective. Not sure you can blame dawson for the lack of creativity in this match though

But, but Mick said it had to be the plan because only a mong would think otherwise? So confusing...

unlike some people on this board, I never claim to know what the management of the team issue as team orders, but what I did state was that it never crosses anyones mind that it might be something they were told to do.
My comments were based on the mindless criticisms of a solid and dependable defender, who not so long ago was feted and adored by all on here and other followers alike.

So why don't you stop trying to score points like a mindless smartarse, and actually try to understand my point of view - before slating me for one I dont hold - or have never expressed.

Dawson plays long balls more than most of our defenders because his close control isn't great and he isn't confident at all on the ball when being closed down even slightly. So, if our midfielders and other defenders don't offer good short options he will always go long more than King, Kaboul or Ekotto. I don't think that will ever change. With Parker and Livermore in central midfield and no Ekotto in the team there was always going to be some long hoof looking balls coming from Dawson.

He is actually quite good at those long passes, no worse than our other central defenders I'm quite sure. But that's slightly besides the point as it's not really the accuracy, but frequency people are complaining about.

I also think its unfair of you to claim that he can't do short passes out of defence, he can and has proved in in several matches since his physical recovery

Dawson actually has fantastic technique. I've seen him pinging some beauties across the pitch before games kick off or at half time when a sub. Even in games he has shown glimpses of a fantastic range. Yesterday was a combination of he didn't have people showing for it, didn't feel confident in passing it short and perhaps saw his name in lights a few times.

I also think its unfair of you to claim that he can't do short passes out of defence, he can and has proved in in several matches since his physical recovery

I didn't say that he can't to short passes out of defence. I'm saying his close control and composure under pressure isn't as good as most of our other defenders so he hits long balls more often as he gets put under pressure more often. When we have a playmaker in midfield showing for the ball nice and early he can obviously pass the ball to him.

Do you disagree that his close control isn't as good as the rest of our defenders (bar Walker) or that he isn't as confident on the ball when being closed down as the rest of our defenders?

Do you disagree that this almost inevitably leads to more long balls from him than from most of our other defenders?

Dawson actually has fantastic technique. I've seen him pinging some beauties across the pitch before games kick off or at half time when a sub. Even in games he has shown glimpses of a fantastic range. Yesterday was a combination of he didn't have people showing for it, didn't feel confident in passing it short and perhaps saw his name in lights a few times.

Depends on how you define "technique".

He strikes the ball well, like you say his long range passes are very good for a central defender. If technique is just how well you strike the ball, then fine. But if things like first touch, close control, running with the ball/dribbling and being able to play a fast and accurate short passing game are included into "technique" then I don't see how he can be described as having "fantastic technique" at all.

I didn't say that he can't to short passes out of defence. I'm saying his close control and composure under pressure isn't as good as most of our other defenders so he hits long balls more often as he gets put under pressure more often. When we have a playmaker in midfield showing for the ball nice and early he can obviously pass the ball to him.

Do you disagree that his close control isn't as good as the rest of our defenders (bar Walker) or that he isn't as confident on the ball when being closed down as the rest of our defenders?

Do you disagree that this almost inevitably leads to more long balls from him than from most of our other defenders?

Depends on how you define "technique".

He strikes the ball well, like you say his long range passes are very good for a central defender. If technique is just how well you strike the ball, then fine. But if things like first touch, close control, running with the ball/dribbling and being able to play a fast and accurate short passing game are included into "technique" then I don't see how he can be described as having "fantastic technique" at all.

No, I would say that you are quite right, in that both Kaboul and King are better with the ball at their feet, King is a freak and should be discounted anyway, because he has more talent than anyone should have :))) and Kaboul always looks composed. I can's speak about Nelsen, but Gallas I would say is probably more comfortable with the ball at his feet going forward too.
But you know what, I don't really care, because Dawson has other virtues that the others don't and I don't mind not having a Beckenbauer or Moore in every central defenders position (as good as it would be)

My defence has never been that his long ball plays are a brilliant option, I hate that front to back aerial bombardment approach, what I get tinkled off at is the mindless abuse that gets showered on the guy.

For sure, he is less likely to play his way out of trouble than King or Kaboul, but again, I'd rather that he did play a long ball - than try to be too clever and get caught in possession.

The main question should be why did Redknapp feel he had to change our system to play a lower lge side.

The main question should be why did Redknapp feel he had to change our system to play a lower lge side.

MAYBE Harry saw this as an opportunity to try new tactics? try to play players in various positions to help them develop as players? Training is one thing but matches and playing games is another.

I agreed with the three centre backs. We had to as the Stevenage strength is mainly limited to set pieces and corners etc.

MAYBE Harry saw this as an opportunity to try new tactics? try to play players in various positions to help them develop as players? Training is one thing but matches and playing games is another.

I agreed with the three centre backs. We had to as the Stevenage strength is mainly limited to set pieces and corners etc.

That was my feeling, based on nothing more than that I couldn't see a precedent and that league 1 opposition was as good a place as any to try it.

It would make more sense to do it at home, where we wont be playing on farmer Giles' pasture.

No, I would say that you are quite right, in that both Kaboul and King are better with the ball at their feet, King is a freak and should be discounted anyway, because he has more talent than anyone should have :))) and Kaboul always looks composed. I can's speak about Nelsen, but Gallas I would say is probably more comfortable with the ball at his feet going forward too.
But you know what, I don't really care, because Dawson has other virtues that the others don't and I don't mind not having a Beckenbauer or Moore in every central defenders position (as good as it would be)

My defence has never been that his long ball plays are a brilliant option, I hate that front to back aerial bombardment approach, what I get tinkled off at is the mindless abuse that gets showered on the guy.

For sure, he is less likely to play his way out of trouble than King or Kaboul, but again, I'd rather that he did play a long ball - than try to be too clever and get caught in possession.

We agree then :) And I in no way meant to shower mindless abuse at Dawson, I also like him, love his attitude and commitment and he's put in some fine performances for us over the years.

I agreed with the three centre backs. We had to as the Stevenage strength is mainly limited to set pieces and corners etc.[/QUOTE]

So we were more worried about their strengths then ours?

I agreed with the three centre backs. We had to as the Stevenage strength is mainly limited to set pieces and corners etc.[/QUOTE]

So we were more worried about their strengths then ours?

At set pieces? no not strengths but numbers. We didnt have Ade up front so we had to compensate that by playing an additional CB. We arent exactly the tallest nor the strongest. There has to be times where we must consider the opposition. I dont think the tactics were fully for Stevenages strengths but partly also for our benefit (to play different tactics so we can adapt to teams etc)

who was captain yesterday?

parker.jpg

I agree. It winds me right up. Same applies to Kaboul & Ekotto too, who like to hit it "long" just as much as Dawson usually with the same result.

Difference is - BAE's long balls are often AIMED at someone or actually looking to release a player on a run as opposed to mindless lumping and panic hoofing. As a result - BAE's passing has actually improved over the last 2 seasons.

Kaboul on the other hand prefers surging runs lately using his pace and athleticism - to a good success in fact. Much like Vidic often used to do.

Keep players fit, mate. All large squads do it - no other way to achieve that, especially now that we're out of 2 cup competitions already. Look at SAF - he's been rotating for decades and has done alright with around 25 major trophies to his name. He has 4 (four) top class strikers who are capable of starting for any team in the world bar 1-2 and scoring a plenty. Yet he has to choose every week between 2 at best. We have only 2 essentially and the 1 is always moaning.

Plus one would imagine our players on the salaries they are and experience they have SHOULD be capable of beating a team around 51 places and 2 leagues lower than ours. For five snakes.

Back