• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Michael Dawson

Re: Dawson

It's my opinion that he isn't. He's got the captain's armband because he's been here the longest, but he's not one to drag the rest of the team out of a slump.

He's the player rep also mate, he's the one who goes to management/chairman if there are concerns within the squad/handling things that are squad related such as bonuses, etc…he has a big role at the club and is, by all accounts, a really great and lovely guy. I've only met him twice, and each time he seemed like a top bloke. Makes it all the sadder.

He was never quick but he was quicker on the turn. He cannot turn with any pace at all any more. Not disputing the point you made, it's similar top what I've been saying for ages, what are we actually discussing here beyond details and our general agreement mate?

He's the player rep also mate, he's the one who goes to management/chairman if there are concerns within the squad/handling things that are squad related such as bonuses, etc…he has a big role at the club and is, by all accounts, a really great and lovely guy. I've only met him twice, and each time he seemed like a top bloke. Makes it all the sadder.

If our general opinion is that he's not good enough to be first choice for us and that he might very well not be when we have Kaboul and Vertonghen fit and that he seems like an utterly lovely and genuine man then yeah, we agree.

If Levy made all of our CBs available tomorrow then these are the kind of clubs who'd be in for them;

Vertonghen - Emirates Marketing Project, Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Madrid etc
Chiriches - Arsenal, Dortmund, Juve, Atletico etc
Kaboul - n/a
Dawson - Stoke, Crystal Palace, West Ham ...

If Levy made all of our CBs available tomorrow then these are the kind of clubs who'd be in for them;

Vertonghen - Emirates Marketing Project, Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Madrid etc
Chiriches - Arsenal, Dortmund, Juve, Atletico etc
Kaboul - n/a
Dawson - Stoke, Crystal Palace, West Ham ...

:ross::ross: oh man oh man..make it stop :ross::ross::ross:

KD you're wasting your time mate most posters have made up their mind about Dawson. My opinion for what it's worth is he is a very good player. I have seen Dawson hold our defence together with only Zokora as his partner and do a pretty good job. Last season we struggled with the central defensive partnership of Gallas and Verts. Our defence actually settled down when Daws came in. I have said it a hundred times, the problem is not our defence but rather the lack of protection it gets from the midfield. The defence usually look better when Sandro is in the team to protect them.

he's no Maldini and I think we have a potentially better pairing but I also think that whichever premier league club he played for he'd get plenty of time on the pitch

we are lucky to have him

he's no Maldini and I think we have a potentially better pairing but I also think that whichever premier league club he played for he'd get plenty of time on the pitch

we are lucky to have him
=D>

The number of headers the guy wins under pressure is phenomenal.

=D>

The number of headers the guy wins under pressure is phenomenal.

He's a great backs to the wall under pressure in the penalty box defender.

But the problem with our defence isn't the players individually. They don't behave or perform as a collective unit on the pitch.
Dawson is in charge of that on the pitch and he's terrible at it.

He shouldn't be the one giving out instruction.

Look at how Kompany organises the defence at City. Without him their defence has fallen apart on numerous occasions.

And if you have a well organised defence you don't need 2 defensive midfielders sitting in front of them babysitting the defence because it's made of a tissue paper.

He's a great backs to the wall under pressure in the penalty box defender.

But the problem with our defence isn't the players individually. They don't behave or perform as a collective unit on the pitch.
Dawson is in charge of that on the pitch and he's terrible at it.

He shouldn't be the one giving out instruction.

Look at how Kompany organises the defence at City. Without him their defence has fallen apart on numerous occasions.

And if you have a well organised defence you don't need 2 defensive midfielders sitting in front of them babysitting the defence because it's made of a tissue paper.

Against the top teams, runners will pull the defence around that's what they are good at so you need to double up on players, 4 defenders will not be enough they need help from the midfield. I agree you don't need to have 2 sitting defensive midfielders but you need a well organised midfield that doesn't just amble back when it feels like it. Arsenal are a great example, their midfield protects their defence well while still being effective as an attacking unit. Whereas when Sandro doesn't play there is a huge space between our midfield and defence.

If our general opinion is that he's not good enough to be first choice for us and that he might very well not be when we have Kaboul and Vertonghen fit and that he seems like an utterly lovely and genuine man then yeah, we agree.

I trust you've read my opinions on Daws since the start of last season, right? Why is this even a question? Other than the Kaboul bit…there was a time but I fear that time has gone. Too injury prone.

KD you're wasting your time mate most posters have made up their mind about Dawson. My opinion for what it's worth is he is a very good player. I have seen Dawson hold our defence together with only Zokora as his partner and do a pretty good job. Last season we struggled with the central defensive partnership of Gallas and Verts. Our defence actually settled down when Daws came in. I have said it a hundred times, the problem is not our defence but rather the lack of protection it gets from the midfield. The defence usually look better when Sandro is in the team to protect them.

Not trolling, this is in the spirit of discussion mate…I agree, to an extent, with the midfield protection/lack of…I'd even go a step further and say anyone in the same back 4 as wreckless Danny has their work cut-out…I'd even agree with those who say that he's better with an experienced CB beside him rather than a rookie…but why does he continually push up as high as he can? Is this a coaching issue? Half the time he's now the furthest defender forward when it comes to defending an oncoming attack, whether in the air or on the ground. This is absolutely NOT how the man should be defending given his current form. At a certain point, we do have to accept that our defence is not great, although I would agree that sometimes, our defence has been left exposed by some of the most insipid midfield play I have set eyes on.

Not trolling, this is in the spirit of discussion mate…I agree, to an extent, with the midfield protection/lack of…I'd even go a step further and say anyone in the same back 4 as wreckless Danny has their work cut-out…I'd even agree with those who say that he's better with an experienced CB beside him rather than a rookie…but why does he continually push up as high as he can? Is this a coaching issue? Half the time he's now the furthest defender forward when it comes to defending an oncoming attack, whether in the air or on the ground. This is absolutely NOT how the man should be defending given his current form. At a certain point, we do have to accept that our defence is not great, although I would agree that sometimes, our defence has been left exposed by some of the most insipid midfield play I have set eyes on.

Good discussion mate. The thing is all of the back 4 (and Lloris) have at some point this season been poor which rather suggests a systemic problem with the way we are defending. These are good defenders and a world class goalkeeper we are talking about. Personally the way we have been playing under Tim makes me think defending is not his number 1 priority. He has an attacking coach - not sure who is coaching defending.

I'm going to use a dirty word...Redknapp organised our defence and even with a season of Dawson and Bassong we still got Champions League. I do think that he's not as good as he was, with regards to his pace, turning etc, but it's the rushing out in certain situations that I can't see past. Even today people argue about Rose vs Jelavic, but it wasn't going to result in anything. By running over he left a load of space for Long to run into. It's not just his mistake which led to the goal but his was ultimately the worst imo

Good discussion mate. The thing is all of the back 4 (and Lloris) have at some point this season been poor which rather suggests a systemic problem with the way we are defending. These are good defenders and a world class goalkeeper we are talking about. Personally the way we have been playing under Tim makes me think defending is not his number 1 priority. He has an attacking coach - not sure who is coaching defending.

Well, there's certainly something wrong I agree. Lloris looks less settled for sure. I think we really have missed Vertonghen at LB (even though he's a CB)…
But ultimately, someone needs to address the fact that Daws cannot play high up the pitch. he has to sit deeper and act more like a covering CB, and not one who charges up and into it. For me, today he found himself in the same situation as he did against the goons in the cup and against City before Rose got dinged for the pen. Yes, Chiriches is there too, but he's left swimming in shark infested waters because he mate's gone walkies.

Having seen the goal again tonight, I'd comment on Walker just as much as Dawson here. In fact all four players are culpable, but as Windy says in his blog Walker switched off and if he had been quicker to see the danger he would have made it across in time.

So..

Rose not goalside of Jelavic, having been drawn towards his man.
Vertonghen being slow on the turn to keep up with Long
Dawson for getting pulled across and challenging Jelavic when staying in the space was the better option.
Walker for being asleep and not tucking in as a contingency.

Back