• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Memory Lane 05-06

I thought this was gonna be a thread about the strip club near the ground that used to be open after games

I used to like the Pleasure Rooms too, remember seeing Chas N Dave in one room whilst watching a lesbian strip show out of the corner of my eye in the other one hahaha

I only missed 8 games home and away all season that way, as said above, it was so much fun to go, worst football day of my life being at Upton Park though

Pleasure Rooms was more Gerry Francis era than Martin Jol... Was too young at the time to get the chance to go there - however i often got spares because my Dads mates would swerve the football most weeks to see some girl on girl action out the back :D

That was when we turned the corner in my opinion from mid table to a decent top six team, which we've maintained if not bettered each season since.

Was Davids the signing that triggered it?

That was when we turned the corner in my opinion from mid table to a decent top six team, which we've maintained if not bettered each season since.

Was Davids the signing that triggered it?

I think it was a number of things. King had flourished under Naybets tutelage the previous year and he found a real good partner in Dawson. Davids added that bit of steel we had been missing, Carrick came into his own and we really started to see a player in there. We had the unpredictability of Lennon who know one was expecting to even have as big of an impact as he did, we all thought Routledge would be the man.

I think the season was so fun because none of us really expected it. As you say we had been mid table for years and then suddenly we started becoming a little tricky to beat. We kept something like 5 clean sheets in our opening 7 games. The second half of the season was exciting but disappointing. We were challenging for fourth yet you could tell we were getting leggy and it was going to be very tough. We threw away many stupid points in the second half of the season, we went into 1 win in 6 games form and it really cost us.

What a fantastic enjoyable season it was (mostly). I only missed 1 home game that season and loved the sense of excitement and anticipation that swelled around the ground as each game and each week went on. Finally we had something to believe in.

Keane was amazing that season. It still saddens me that he left for the Liverpool. It effectively finished his career at club level and he was only 28 I think. Greed can come back to haunt you.

I enjoyed that season too. Especially liked our white-and-blue shirt. That season was the turning point in our recent history, as we transformed ourself from being a mid table club into a top 5 club. Too bad we couldn't finish in top 4. IIRC, some crucial individual mistakes by Stalteri and Robinson cost us the 4th place, especially Stalteri's mistake against Arsenal.

Bit harsh on Salty for me. He did make mistakes that season but in the Arsenal game it was a clear foul on him by Adebayor.

The 1-1 NLD at Highbury was immense, we batted them, the infamous Jol Wenger row, I remember Lennon and Carrick nearly scoring goals of the century that day

Ah right it was called Pleasure Rooms? Was it in Memory Lane? Not sure can't remember much about it. Do remember some poor tinkled bloke naked on stage with a stripper doing a turn, with the crowd chanting 'yiddo, yiddo,..' No wonder he couldn't get it up. Think it shut down just after that.

It was a period of real change for the club, both in philosophy and personnel. It was around this point that I think Levy began to pursue a strategy of buying younger players, whereas previously the focus had been on bringing in more seasoned pros who had proven themselves elsewhere (Ferdinand, Sheringham, Ziege, Poyet etc).

Keane was amazing that season.
Yes he was, it saddens me when people dismiss his contribution. He scored great goals and really was so so Spurs. Happy days! Our expectations were lower so we were more easily pleased. remember the delight when we were in the Europa league for the first time?

Great video. Great season in hindsight though at the time was far from consolable! Felt great being in the mix after so long in the wilderness. So many great moments to pick from but the pain of lasanagate is still too much, as with the 'double kick in the teeth' of 11/12 season.

------------------------------Robinson------------------------------

Stalteri--------------Dawson----------King---------------------Lee

----------------------Carrick---------Jenas---------Davids-------

--Lennon-----------------------------------------------------------

---------------------Mido----------Keane--------------------------

That was kind of our formation that season.

Defoe and Mido both started 24 times, though Mido did go to the African Cup of Nations.

didn't we spend all season whining about Davids playing down the left, or was that just me?

Yep this is true. He would start on the left but during the game you would see him pretty much all over the pitch...him and Tainio did a good job playing that role.

Absolute brilliant year my first with a season ticket. Remember from the off a pre season at reading David's in the crowd a sense of good about the club. The obvious been mentioned already other days that were quality Birmingham away in the march think Lennon scored was first time I actually started to believe we'd get champions league :( villa away at start of season Keane came on scored an equaliser. Last home game of season Bolton I think was a party atmosphere was enjoying myself as well but remember thinking west ham away isn't a given. Quality season from start to finish in all honesty back when I loved going to football(still do but tiny bit less now)

William gallas at the dump in west London. Felt physically sick for days after.

will pop this in here - links to all the premiership years program from sky up until a 10-11

http://archive.org/details/ThePremiershipYears

qospO.gif

Back