• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Media Twerps who cover Spurs

Since I didn't see a specific thread to vent about those members of the chattering class who give Spurs short shrift I decided it's time to start one. Anyone get under your skin with their writing or commentary - Martin Tyler, shurely - about Spurs, chuck it in here.

Sure, I've had a pop at strivers like Ally Gold, but at least his heart is in the right place even if his methods and publisher leave something to be desired.

If you're familiar with the arc of my previous piszs streams on this subject, you'll know my favourite target is the Arseletic's Charles Ecklesarse.

The simple fact that he's a fcukin' Arsenal season ticket holder - loudly and proudly so - should automatically eliminate him from working the Spurs beat. Can you remotely imagine the exact opposite happening- an ardent Spurs fan covering Arsenal? Never. In a million years.

Ecklesarse's past experiences in sports scribbling include working for Arsenal fanzines and being the go-to rat to antagonize Spurs fans in the dreadful Telegraph's coverage of the PL. (I mean, seriously - promoting the smug, inbred prat that is Oliver Brown as senior writer!?)

So now, Eckelsarse is about to take another paternity leave (please, breed yourself a proper litter) and is offering his substitute, Tim Spiers, advice on how to cover Spurs. Chuck off, Farlie. And stay there.

A quick guide to covering Tottenham Hotspur… good luck, Tim - The Athletic
Seems like you are almost on your own on this one, greatwhitenorf.
He's always good on the Athletic Football Daily podcast or whatever it is called.
There is a group who quite like Charlie E, a group unsure, and then you are way, way, way over on the far side of the chart.

I’ve never read anything in The Athletic, but I do listen to The View From The Lane podcast every week, in which Charlie Eccleshare speaks knowledgeably about Spurs, often picking out positives in our play and tactics when I struggle to find any. He comes across as thoughtful, witty, completely unbiased and with a definite interest in (and a bit of a soft spot for) Spurs.

Maybe he’s different in print.
Completely agree with this. I wouldn’t know he was an Arse fan unless I’d been told. I certainly can’t call to mind any points that have felt made by a gooner to antagonize the rivals of ‘his’ club.

Can you share any @greatwhitenorf? I’m genuinely interested.

Here's one of the few articles I can retrieve from behind the Telegraph's pay wall. Sorry for the slightly sloppy paste together.

In his past work, you'd more clearly detect the mischief directed towards Spurs in match day previews or as-it-happened contributions. Obviously, he's had to hold himself to a professional standard in his more recent work - family to feed an' all that.

But in his heart and with his wallet he supports Arsenal. He's very quick to point out negative aspects with Spurs and very clever at inviting readers criticism. Don't need pom-poms with our coverage but this colours everything he does, makes it easy to doubt his sincerity or objectivity. It's irresponsible of the Athletic to put him on the Spurs beat.

Arsenal fans would go ape-schit if the situation was reversed.

JMuE9Mi.jpg

Last edited:
Here's one of the few articles I can retrieve from behind the Telegraph's pay wall. Sorry for the slightly sloppy paste together.

In his past work, you'd more clearly detect the mischief directed towards Spurs in match day previews or as-it-happened contributions. Obviously, he's had to hold himself to a professional standard in his more recent work - family to feed an' all that.

But in his heart and with his wallet he supports Arsenal. He's very quick to point out negative aspects with Spurs and very clever at inviting readers criticism. Don't need pom-poms with our coverage but this colours everything he does, makes it easy to doubt his sincerity or objectivity. It's irresponsible of the Athletic to put him on the Spurs beat.

JMuE9Mi.jpg
He has openly admitted he is an arse fan
But he has never, when I’ve read his comment or heard him speak be negative towards us
Maybe it’s reverse psychology

JMuE9Mi.jpg

So in the article it is evident that he is an Arsenal fan, and so what?

I have been reading his writings and found them so unbiased that until I started listening to the View From The Lane I actually thought he was a Spurs fan. I have thoroughly enjoyed his offerings with regards to Spurs to the extent that I was genuinely disappointed when I heard that he will away for a few months on paternity leave.

Last edited:
He has openly admitted he is an arse fan
But he has never, when I’ve read his comment or heard him speak be negative towards us
Maybe it’s reverse psychology

I am 100% with you mate, I actually respect him even more now that l now he is a Goon because I have found him most professional and has not been influenced by any Gooner bias

I am 100% with you mate, I actually respect him even more now that l now he is a Goon because I have found him most professional and has not been influenced by any Gooner bias

Yeah it’s weird
But then he has balance Danny Kelly and the editor chap who are both ardent spurs, so negative ninny’s

Well, support for The Boy Arsenal on here just shows what a soft, wimpy, approval-desperate lot you – and many other Spurs fans – have become. And it just serves to illustrate the gap between Spurs and the very best clubs.

Liverpool is a psychological fortress. Their fans would have immediately run a ManU-loving beat writer out of town, strapped backwards, on the back of a flatulent dwarf donkey.

From the banter I get from rival supporters, the broad perception of Spurs fans is that of perpetual dreamers, strivers, always hoping to see Spurs become winners, yet yearning for the game’s great observers to find approval with their long-suffering Spurs. To not only see them win but to have them proclaimed ‘fair of face’ or ‘best in show’ for maintaining an elegant style of play. OMG! Jamie Carragher likes us!

Yet they can oh-so-quickly turn into snarling, self-devouring critics the minute it starts to go sideways, be it with results or aesthetics. And as we’ve seen not-so-long ago, worse if it’s both.

So along comes Johnny Arsenal who’s kindly deigned to cover the Spurs beat for an important sports website – more out of urgent family obligations than personal desire – and you’re swooning over his willingness to put a lucrative paycheck (and benefits -2nd pat leave) – ahead of his inbred, atavistic Arseliness.

Give your heads a shake. You will get nuffink until you demand everything.

Last edited:
Well, support for The Boy Arsenal on here just shows what a soft, wimpy, approval-desperate lot you – and many other Spurs fans – have become. And it just serves to illustrate the gap between Spurs and the very best clubs.

Liverpool is a psychological fortress. Their fans would have immediately run a ManU-loving beat writer out of town, strapped backwards, on the back of a flatulent dwarf donkey.

From the banter I get from rival supporters, the broad perception of Spurs fans is that of perpetual dreamers, strivers, always hoping to see Spurs become winners, yet yearning for the game’s great observers to find approval with their long-suffering Spurs. To not only see them win but to have them proclaimed ‘fair of face’ or ‘best in show’ for maintaining an elegant style of play. OMG! Jamie Carragher likes us!

Yet they can oh-so-quickly turn into snarling, self-devouring critics the minute it starts to go sideways, be it with results or aesthetics. And as we’ve seen not-so-long ago, worse if it’s both.

So along comes Johnny Arsenal who’s kindly deigned to cover the Spurs beat for an important sports website – more out of urgent family obligations than personal desire – and you’re swooning over his willingness to put a lucrative paycheck (and benefits -2nd pat leave) – ahead of his inbred, atavistic Arseliness.

Give your heads a shake. You will get nuffink until you demand everything.

Just don’t read his articles man. Seems pretty simple.

I tend to fall on both sides of this, I don't think an open Arsenal supporting journo like Eccleshare should be given the Spurs beat nor do I really have a problem with what he has written or said about us since he has.

I had more of an issue with Jack Pitt-Brooke when he covered us for the Athletic, thought he was mostly sarcastic and obvious in his lack of interest when covering us (his normal beat is South London clubs I believe), and still it didn't bother me that much.

Last edited:
Ali Gold is a strange one for me, I kept reading how he is some inside man at Spurs and no doubt a dedicated Spurs man but never ever broken anything amazing that isn't known. Doesn't make him a twerp by any stretch but not the hero of the fans made out either. Its always rehash of broken news or a "yeh sorry that's true I was away for a few days and couldn't break it". Clever to be on football.london or WordPress and get accreditation though I give him that

Ali Gold is a strange one for me, I kept reading how he is some inside man at Spurs and no doubt a dedicated Spurs man but never ever broken anything amazing that isn't known. Doesn't make him a twerp by any stretch but not the hero of the fans made out either. Its always rehash of broken news or a "yeh sorry that's true I was away for a few days and couldn't break it". Clever to be on football.london or WordPress and get accreditation though I give him that
He is a fan who got his dream job
He doesn’t lie and calls it how he sees it
If he hears stuff he puts it out
He isn’t a Romano who lies and claims other peoples news is his

He is a fan who got his dream job
He doesn’t lie and calls it how he sees it
If he hears stuff he puts it out
He isn’t a Romano who lies and claims other peoples news is his

Yeh that's fair, i just see another of ITK claims about him and not from him which is not his fault, just don't see it. But fair play

Think he’s had his fingers burnt with Paratici. His tone changed massively with last seasons manager search. Seems like he wasn’t aware of the way Paratici worked getting loads of irons in the fire, he reported a couple of managers as done and seemed tinkled off when they weren’t. Also remember him falling for the Gattuso BS, never in a million years was that happening!

Back