• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Media Twerps who cover Spurs

greatwhitenorf

Vedran Corluka
Since I didn't see a specific thread to vent about those members of the chattering class who give Spurs short shrift I decided it's time to start one. Anyone get under your skin with their writing or commentary - Martin Tyler, shurely - about Spurs, chuck it in here.

Sure, I've had a pop at strivers like Ally Gold, but at least his heart is in the right place even if his methods and publisher leave something to be desired.

If you're familiar with the arc of my previous piszs streams on this subject, you'll know my favourite target is the Arseletic's Charles Ecklesarse.

The simple fact that he's a fcukin' Arsenal season ticket holder - loudly and proudly so - should automatically eliminate him from working the Spurs beat. Can you remotely imagine the exact opposite happening- an ardent Spurs fan covering Arsenal? Never. In a million years.

Ecklesarse's past experiences in sports scribbling include working for Arsenal fanzines and being the go-to rat to antagonize Spurs fans in the dreadful Telegraph's coverage of the PL. (I mean, seriously - promoting the smug, inbred prat that is Oliver Brown as senior writer!?)

So now, Eckelsarse is about to take another paternity leave (please, breed yourself a proper litter) and is offering his substitute, Tim Spiers, advice on how to cover Spurs. Chuck off, Farlie. And stay there.

A quick guide to covering Tottenham Hotspur… good luck, Tim - The Athletic

Last edited:
Since I didn't see a specific thread to vent about those members of the chattering class who give Spurs short shrift I decided it's time to start one. Anyone get under your skin with their writing or commentary - Martin Tyler, shurely - about Spurs, chuck it in here.

Sure, I've had a pop at strivers like Ally Gold, but at least his heart is in the right place even if his methods and publisher leave something to be desired.

If you're familiar with the arc of my previous piszs streams on this subject, you'll know my favourite target is the Arseletic's Charles Ecklesarse.

The simple fact that he's a fcukin' Arsenal season ticket holder - loudly and proudly so - should automatically eliminate him from working the Spurs beat. Can you remotely imagine the exact opposite happening- an ardent Spurs fan covering Arsenal? Never. In a million years.

Ecklesarse's past experiences in sports scribbling include working for Arsenal fanzines and being the go-to rat to antagonize Spurs fans in the dreadful Telegraph's coverage of the PL. (I mean, seriously - promoting the smug, inbred prat that is Oliver Brown as senior writer!?)

So now, Eckelsarse is about to take another paternity leave (please, breed yourself a proper litter) and is offering his substitute, Tim Spiers, advice on how to cover Spurs. Chuck off, Farlie. And stay there.

It was an empty 'piece of content' bereft of humor (original or otherwise) which left me wondering where The Athletic is heading.

I don't know why you care. Whatever they write makes no difference to your thoughts and feelings, or does it?

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Why are you paying to read someone that annoys you so much? There's much better free content out there

I like to support good journalism. I subscribe to the NY Times. I chuck a few quid each year to The Guardian. I paid for The Athletic until they hired that arsehole to cover Spurs. Now, I read it for free (it's so easy).

There's some excellent work in there. No one covers the game in Norfa Merica like Pablo Maurer. Joshua Kloke covers the local scene (MLS, NHL) so well. Jeff Gluck and Jordan Bianchi do great work covering motorsports. I really like the work of Matt Slater and Michael Cox on European football.

But when someone is openly holding season tickets to Spurs greatest rivals, that's them putting their money where their heart leads them. Fine, support whatever club you like. I don't begrudge that, not after a decade sharing four MLS season tickets with an ardent Arsenal supporter. Just don't put that person on the reporting beat of an arch-rival. Can you imagine a Rangers supporter on the Celtic beat? Or vice versa? Can you imagine a Liverpool supporter working the Man United beat - or vice versa? And that logic applies to covering any of the game's great rivalries - Boca-River, Real-Barca, PSG-Marseille, Dortmund-Schalke and so on.

The Athletic defends this poor decision by telling us that the football editor is a Spurs supporter - Alex Jetski-Kay - so with that oversight and governance there shouldn't be any issues with the reporting. They also like to remind us that Jetski-Kay is openly gay and that that somehow gives him runway to make unorthodox decisions. Not in my opinion and not with my money. Editors get busy, details slip by, nuances aren't spotted.

The Daily Mail frequently takes the piszs by putting ardent gooner Sami Mokbel on Spurs coverage. I grant no credibility to the big-bellied growlings of greasy West Ham supporters like Martin Samuel or Jacob Steinberg when they write about Spurs.

All these journalists are capable and qualified individuals to report on the game. Just not on beat coverage of a rival of the club they openly support. Those allegiances will always get in the way of any perception that they are being fair and straightforward.

It's not so much the individuals that tinkle me off, the agenda that the media have with us, any negative rumour gets the full treatment, Conte goes home to Italy in the international break and he's joining Juventus, Harry Kane is always leaving, any player not in the starting XI wants away.

Liverpool have started poorly and apart from a freak score are struggling for goals, is Klopp getting the sack, is Salah wanting a move?
Villa are poor, is Stevie G getting the boot?
West Ham back where they belong, is Moyes on borrowed time?
I dont know the media dont seem interested.

I don't know why you care. Whatever they write makes no difference to your thoughts and feelings, or does it?

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

I know right. Every football fan on the planet thinks the media have an agenda against them and simultaneously love their rivals :D. At the end of the day, journalists and pundits are meant to be impartial but all of them support a club and have their biases, some are just better at hiding it than others. I do find a lot of ex Goon players who are now pundits don’t hide their dislike of us; Merson, Wheelchair, Pennant to name a few but I just don’t bother listening to them. Not like their opinion has any impact on the players. One of my favourites is Tim Vickery but that’s probably my tinted glasses as he’s a Spurs fan.

I’ve never read anything in The Athletic, but I do listen to The View From The Lane podcast every week, in which Charlie Eccleshare speaks knowledgeably about Spurs, often picking out positives in our play and tactics when I struggle to find any. He comes across as thoughtful, witty, completely unbiased and with a definite interest in (and a bit of a soft spot for) Spurs.

Maybe he’s different in print.

I’ve never read anything in The Athletic, but I do listen to The View From The Lane podcast every week, in which Charlie Eccleshare speaks knowledgeably about Spurs, often picking out positives in our play and tactics when I struggle to find any. He comes across as thoughtful, witty, completely unbiased and with a definite interest in (and a bit of a soft spot for) Spurs.

No he is very similar
He is quite pro spurs on everything I’ve seen or read
But he is a sled admitted arsenal fan

I can understand your objections to Eccleshare GWN.

Experiences vary, but I think it's very difficult to avoid personal bias to slip in.

I rather like Gold. Not his fault the media industry is what it is. He seems to be doing his best to put out Spurs content that's informative and partisan.

I can understand your objections to Eccleshare GWN.

Experiences vary, but I think it's very difficult to avoid personal bias to slip in.

I rather like Gold. Not his fault the media industry is what it is. He seems to be doing his best to put out Spurs content that's informative and partisan.
I like it when Gold transcripts the press conferences, so you can see the context of what was said rather than click bait one liners. The website layout for is shocking though!

I feel hyper sensitive to the media narrative on Spurs, maybe it's down to that perennial what makes a big club debate but even when Poch took us to unexpected heights to really punch above our weight it is still a period that is lamented as not picking up silverware. Would Villa and Everton achieving the same be seen in the same light?
I guess the other thing is we read more about Spurs, so we see more negativity about Spurs. I'm sure all clubs have a sensitive spot to the way they are reported in certain quarters.
The club that annoys me the most with the way they are covered is Emirates Marketing Project, I feel like Pep is seen as the acceptable face of Sportswashing, as opposed to the way Saudi Sportswashing Machine's attempts to replicate it have been.

The club that annoys me the most with the way they are covered is Emirates Marketing Project, I feel like Pep is seen as the acceptable face of Sportswashing, as opposed to the way Saudi Sportswashing Outfit's attempts to replicate it have been.
Difference is Emirates Marketing Project win trophies. The media will ALWAYS fawn upon any club that wins trophies, even Spurs I don't doubt, regardless of how they went about it. Think back to the playground and how so many of your mates became fans of the team at the top, regardless of where they were from. It's just the way it is.

I agree. I’ve always found him to be quite fair and balanced on the podcast. Also he was the only one that was consistently positive on our chances of making the top 4

Being a regular listen to the View From The Lane podcast I find your views on charlie eccleshare surprising. His views on Spurs have been overwhelmingly positive. Last season he backed us to finish 4th when the host and all the other contributors to the podcast, who were all Spurs fans, declared we would not.

I too enjoy reading and listening to him, but knowing now he's a gooner maybe he was saying all that positive stuff in the race for the top 4 trying to tempt fate? o_O

I have found him to be very fair to us in print as well

Back