• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino

I hope it isn't particularly welcoming. Not that I want to see him get any abuse, but the thought of some fans still singing 'He's magic you know' when coach of Chelsea I would find utterly cringeworthy but I'm sure some will.

The fact is since he left if we had acquired a manager well suited to this club many would still not be banging on about him as if he is the only coach in existence that can make a success of this club.

I loved Poch when he was coach here but things change and quickly in football and there was certainly no guarantee he would have been a success back here anyway. I pray that now Poch has gone to Chelsea people on here will now move on, but I'm sure there will be a weekly Poch debate regardless.....

I think there are a lot who won’t move on until we’ve had to sack him again.

I think there are a lot who won’t move on until we’ve had to sack him again.

I think I’ll move on. I hold no ill will towards him. He owes us nothing and it’s not Woolwich. He has a career to think of and we clearly haven’t approached him. Levy better have a good fudging plan by the way.

But Poch will be Chelsea manager. fudging Chelsea. He’ll get no round of applause from me and we’d look like complete losers if we sing his name. He’s now part of the enemy.

Our paths have separated perhaps irredeemably. These things happen. The King is dead, long live the King.

Good luck to him, i am not one who wanted to see him back here to be honest and he is going to have to handle the ( so called superstars) at Chelski, he struggled to do that at PSG though so lets hope he has more luck with that. Chelski will have the same buying process as PSG had and from what Poch has said in the past he was unhappy at times with that. We shall see i guess.

I see Poch's friend and ghost writer Guillem Balague released a BBC puff piece 3 hours ago. He obviously has the inside track, and says:

He hasn't been short of offers since leaving Paris, but none have ticked as many boxes as Chelsea have, certainly in this second round of negotiations with the club.

He was determined to make sure that he made the right choice as to his next employer - and initially turned down Boehly's Chelsea until he was offered more control.

He has received approaches from Benfica, Athletic Bilbao, Aston Villa and Nottingham Forest. Sevilla also made contact, as did Villarreal, Nice and Leeds United.

But after six consecutive years in the Champions League, reaching one final and one semi-final, he wants to go to a club that he believes will challenge for titles.

He would certainly have gone to Manchester United and had spoken to them on a few occasions both before and after Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's departure and was very disappointed not to get the nod, especially as he had the backing from many at the club, not least from Sir Alex Ferguson.

Everything at Chelsea fits. It is a young squad, a thriving academy coupled with a desire from the owners to bring youth through, a philosophy that is aggressive and dynamic with high pressure and loads of energy.

Blimey, will Poch really have more control at Cheatski? Todd Boehly and chums will surely interfere.

I guess that is why Spurs didn't proceed with him, Poch just wants too much control over things, which is awkward at a multi billion pound business.

Nature of the beast though, has to take big jobs to see if he can do it, thats what its all about

Absolutely. But this one feels make or break for him at that level. PSG was a mixed bag (he probably underachieved on balance) and - although we’re obviously not in the same league - he didn’t get us over the line.

Absolutely. But this one feels make or break for him at that level. PSG was a mixed bag (he probably underachieved on balance) and - although we’re obviously not in the same league - he didn’t get us over the line.

PSG is hard to judge for me, Tuchel came out of that as some kind of hero and they were probably on balance parring similar, its such a tough club to know as I do think the back room stuff, making Mbappe the most powerful player in the world with his boardroom place or whatever it was.

I do also agree that this job will come with HUGE judgement. I am not convinced its a great fit, I think the ex Spurs bit will hang over him slightly, not majorly but their fans will be more judgemental than if he was not IMO.

Its going to be fascinating to see what happens. I don't conform to the, bring in a striker and its all rosey opinions

Answers below mate in bold...

Steff, you know I have a lot of respect for you, so I'll answer you because you just might pause and listen (others won't)

- Poch may win something at Chelsea, he's got 45 players that cost damn near £800M+, but, he's made that choice, and yes everyman for himself but he was here long enough to know what it's going to cost him with our fans, there is no forgiveness, at least not now, maybe a few years after and that's only likely if he fails (if he succeeds we are a footnote in his career).

He has, indeed, made a choice. I stand by my personal feeling that Arsenal would've been the only absolutely unforgivable choice. This is highly unpalatable, but it is what it is. To be clear, what are we meant to 'forgive' him for? Joining Chelsea? I don't forgive or unforgive him. One of my favourite players of all-time, Glenn Hoddle, moved to Chelsea, became their player manager and went on to put the foundations in place for the monstrouserty they grew into. I not only forgive him, I never thought any ill of him for doing it. I wish he hadn't...I wish Robbo hadn't gone there and made 70 appearances. If this was the Abramovich era I'd be angrier. As it is, they're a curious, messy club and it could be entertaining if they fail as they easily could with Brewster's Millions in charge!

But, I'm going to put something out there that I've refrained from for a while (because I know the reaction). It's such a simplistic view that DonnaC or some people in the board were blocking the return, after all as so many people have pointed out, so easy for Levy to have dealt with the struggles around manager replacement, fan discontent, could have bumped Conte and had Poch lined up and none of this noise would be around, so why?

You want my opinion? First of all, to be clear, I have not said DC 'blocked' it at all. What I believe is there are too many ghosts from the past crumble/breakdown in relationships at upper management levels to have even seen a potential return as tolerable. If you've followed my views on it from the start, I've said fairly consistently that my heart would've enjoyed the love affair returning but my head always told me it was not the right move. I think the club decided for several reasons to go another direction, and I think MP would've demanded a lot more control than. we'd have been prepared to give him. Best for all it didn't happen.

Go watch the David Ornstein video below, time stamp 15:36, 22:09 specific to Poch (and again, this isn't my opinion and Ornstein isn't someone who is complementary to us most days, nor is this a clickbait type interview, it's just a piece of a longer interview)

- Summary, the end of Poch's time was a lot more toxic that we know and it's unanimous at the club that he wasn't/isn't an option
- And I will add my speculation (and I expect people to insult me), if Kane really wanted him, do you not think Levy would have at least talked to him? (Levy in my opinion will do almost anything to keep Kane)

I am not entirely sure why you feel so defensive on these points. They're pretty clear and IMO pretty accurate. I was never in any doubt of the toxicity, what I DID get wrong was how it was handled (or not really handled). Where I believe the club fudged up was in not parting ways in the summer of 2019 given how much dysfunction had been brewing for the previous 6 months. That's where we needed strength in leadership, even against the lemon-and-aura boys like me, who would've had a fit had we parted ways. As it was, Levy and Pochettino came to agreements to stick together and try to go again. Instead of seeing how that played out over a couple of seasons and being brave, Levy got presented his fetish object in Mourinho and sacked Pochettino.

Kane? I hope our chairman is doing his best for the next 5-10 years of the club, not the next couple of years we might still have Kane.

What will upset me the most is people popping up and banging on about what a 'mistake' Levy made in not appointing him again and instead 'allowing' Chelsea to get him. Many of these will be the same people who conversely said it was right to sack him in 2019 when we did. The moment we fudged it was summer of 2019.

I hope Chelsea have a poor time of it, and I hope Poch leaves after a season for a better club.

Answers below mate in bold...Where I believe the club fudged up was in not parting ways in the summer of 2019 given how much dysfunction had been brewing for the previous 6 months. That's where we needed strength in leadership, even against the lemon-and-aura boys like me, who would've had a fit had we parted ways. As it was, Levy and Pochettino came to agreements to stick together and try to go again. Instead of seeing how that played out over a couple of seasons and being brave, Levy got presented his fetish object in Mourinho and sacked Pochettino
It's a good post as usual, but it is harsh to blame Levy for sacking Poch both too soon and too late!

Back