• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Easy. I don't believe he has managed a club outside a country's 'elite' and he has usually had access to resources and budgets we could only offer him in our dreams.

So was AVB at the time tbf; and look how that turned out

True, but dealing with it near the top compared to 5th/6th/7th trying to break in AND under the intense pressure we'd be under? Not the same...

Why wouldn't he, eventually? If he gets fustrated with our more limited resources, he could easily be looking over back at the CL clubs and their riches before long...

True, but in our situation how far could that go when he has to work with youngsters and playrs who have potential but are mostly NOT world class? when was the last time he did that? Is his coaching all that btw? As in when did a player get coached by him to be far far better than they already were?

Exactly; and he keeps going to those clubs...that is a clue as to how he WOULDN'T be a good fit for us in our current set-up.

Ancellotti is a very good manager but not a manager who works on growing teams organically. He tends to be an 'ego-whisperer' and gets harmony in world class teams/squads where there often hasn't been any...
Not what we need right now; and a big chance he'd flop like Ramos and AVB, who let's face it were proven winners when they joined us at the time. Rafa Benitez would be better (and i also think he would not succeed with us in our current set-up/position)

Yeah, I don't think you can compare AVB or any Spurs manager in terms of being a winner in the last 20 years for that matter to Ancelloti. Only one manager in the history of football has won the CL as often as he has, not even SAF or Mourinho.

The pressure of going for the title and managing some of the biggest clubs in the world is far bigger than managing a side aiming to break into the top 4. Whether that would be enough to get us into the top 4 is another story, but he would no doubt attract bigger and better players than we have now.

He would no doubt leave us eventually for a bigger club, but the short term gain would be worth it IMO. I remember a lot of us were very keen on the idea of Mourinho coming to Spurs despite his tendancy to jump ship after 2-3 years.

Top 4 would have been tough, but not impossible

- but easily could see us having conceded 10-15 less goals this season (that in itself could be a lot of points)
- more rotation of younger players, less rigidity with the stupid inverted wingers crud
- less passengers on team (the amount of games we have carried not contributing players is awful)
- Lennon
- a little less tactical naivety

The not good enough I have a tough time with

- not good enough for top4 = sure
- not good enough to concede less goals that 15 other sides in the league = complete and utter hogwash

And the he doesn't want highlights the big concern re Poch

- Everything has to work for his system to click, and that's great on days like vs. Cheat$ki/Scum, does that ever happen over 38-60 games?

I'm a huge fan of Ancellotti. He's a better man manager than Poch and a better tactician.
But he wouldn't use young players. I don't think he'd have the clear out Poch is planning that we need.

I'm a huge fan of Ancellotti. He's a better man manager than Poch and a better tactician.
But he wouldn't use young players. I don't think he'd have the clear out Poch is planning that we need.

He might not bring through a bunch of new players, but whoever came in the door, Rose, Bentaleb, Dier, Kane are part of the squad.

Yeah, I don't think you can compare AVB or any Spurs manager in terms of being a winner in the last 20 years for that matter to Ancelloti. Only one manager in the history of football has won the CL as often as he has, not even SAF or Mourinho.

The pressure of going for the title and managing some of the biggest clubs in the world is far bigger than managing a side aiming to break into the top 4. Whether that would be enough to get us into the top 4 is another story, but he would no doubt attract bigger and better players than we have now.

He would no doubt leave us eventually for a bigger club, but the short term gain would be worth it IMO. I remember a lot of us were very keen on the idea of Mourinho coming to Spurs despite his tendancy to jump ship after 2-3 years.

That would really depend on why you attracted him in the first place

- we pay good wages to managers
- His CV is done, he doesn't "need" anything more
- If he was looking for a good 2nd tier Club with a little more time, we could be that

Not going to happen, but I'd still jump at it if offered

As Dubai said in the opening post, ""Poch, bring back the good times, please."

Tomorrow would be a good time to start.

I remember a lot of us were very keen on the idea of Mourinho coming to Spurs despite his tendancy to jump ship after 2-3 years.

Ha! I doubt that chickenshіt will ever go anywhere now where he can't play in cheat mode; I wouldn't be surprised if he remains at Chuff$ki for the rest of his career. His ambition now will be to beat Guardiola's Bayern, to "prove" he's better than Pep, never mind that he was his bіtch in Spain.

I don't want Poch to go at the moment, and would like to give him next season and see how things go.
Just purely from a hypothetical perspective, i honestly think Pulis would do better with our current squad, than Ancellotti.
Both have strengths and weaknesses, obviously Ancellotti has a higher pedigree, bigger draw blah blah blah, but in terms of bang for your buck and without huge investment in players, which let's face it, isn't happening in the short term, i think Pulis would do better for us, out of the two.
IF money was no object, then yes, i'd prefer Ancellotti!

I don't want Poch to go at the moment, and would like to give him next season and see how things go.
Just purely from a hypothetical perspective, i honestly think Pulis would do better with our current squad, than Ancellotti.
Both have strengths and weaknesses, obviously Ancellotti has a higher pedigree, bigger draw blah blah blah, but in terms of bang for your buck and without huge investment in players, which let's face it, isn't happening in the short term, i think Pulis would do better for us, out of the two.
IF money was no object, then yes, i'd prefer Ancellotti!
If Ancellotti wanted job I'd give it to him. I thought Pooch was big mistake when De Boer was available, knew nothing about him and think his limited success was all southampton as this season proved. But whoever manages us has to be let buy players. Those with their he's only the coach attitude and went along with levy and baldini buying players have been proven wrong three years running.

I'm kinda assuming Levy spoke to De Boer, Koeman and a few others as well as Poch but he had the best proposal in the interviews.

Had we lost today (and at Everton) the pressure and speculation would have mounted on Poch. Hull were not far off taking the lead. Small margins. I think, with the players he has used, Poch has done well. We've used new academy players in midfield and one upfront. We desperately need more presence in midfield. Whether team shape or fresh personnel is the answer - probably both need addressing.

To press or not to press? It seems end of season, Poch has taken his foot off the press. But then you need players to sprint back into a tight formation to defend. And we don't seem to.

But all in all we have to give Poch more time.

I can't see how you come to that conclusion, Ancelotti for me

- Is a proven winner (something none of our managers have been)
- Has dealt with the intense media pressure of top level clubs (again, something our managers has either made a circus of, or cracked under the pressure of)
- would not be looking to us as a stepping stone
- Would have the immediate respect of players, and probably a decent draw for attracting new players
- He has also worked in clubs where the buying has been ego/popularity based, not aligned to team setup need and made do with it

The more I think about it, Ancelotti is exactly what we need, and lets be clear

- Until we spend 2X/3X our current spend, we have no right to top 4
- We need to not fudge up, and be well positioned for when that opportunity happens based on a side(s) above us having a bad season.
All true but he has the resources of a top two set-up.
We need all these and someone who can turn a pig's ear into sow's purse or Super Spurs.

IMO Benitez has better credentials but he is not a yes man so Levy would never appoint him. In fact, levy would not appoint any of the main candidates fans would like for the same reason.

Next season is the time to judge Poch. He will have a summer to build the team he wants, and has a year of being at the club to have formed his ideas and strategies for the difficult second season.

If he fails next year then he should be criticised, but given our expectations in August last year I think he did about right. Just a shame he couldn't motivate the bunch of wasters who ambled through the last 8 weeks.

Next season is the time to judge Poch. He will have a summer to build the team he wants, and has a year of being at the club to have formed his ideas and strategies for the difficult second season.

If he fails next year then he should be criticised, but given our expectations in August last year I think he did about right. Just a shame he couldn't motivate the bunch of wasters who ambled through the last 8 weeks.

And that is a concern for me. Although I'm not sure that anyone could have motivated some of he overpaid wasters we have in our squad

Reactions: DTA
there are actually some people here that would turn down Ancelotti ? o_O
Not that we would even have any sort of chance anyway.
Yup. At this specific moment in time I would turn him down. In fact I'd probably turn down *any* other manager. Not because I think Pochettino is "the best manager in the world" (don't be ridiculous) but because I think right now we need stability more than we need a manager upgrade.

Besides which, I doubt Ancelotti would come here, and even if he did... how long before Emirates Marketing Project offer to double his wages and give him a solid gold yacht plus a half billion to spend on new players?

Nah, I want to see Pochettino here (and successful obviously) for the next five years (at least). I want to see him given the support from the club to grow into the role and improve over time. THFC is going through a lot of upheaval over the next few years (with the new stadium and likely move to a temporary home), and I can't see how changing managers constantly through that period is going to do anything but harm us - even if by standard metrics, they are "better" managers.

We have a young squad who appear ambitious to succeed. And we have a young manager who appears the same. We've all been disappointed by our drop in quality over the past couple of months, but I think we have a manager who will learn from that mistake and not repeat it next year. I think if we keep Pochettino along with the main core of the squad; and if we support him in the transfer market; that we have a team that is almost guaranteed to improve consistently over the next few years. Bringing in another manager; whoever he is; will jeopardise that (IMO).

Yup. At this specific moment in time I would turn him down. In fact I'd probably turn down *any* other manager. Not because I think Pochettino is "the best manager in the world" (don't be ridiculous) but because I think right now we need stability more than we need a manager upgrade.

Besides which, I doubt Ancelotti would come here, and even if he did... how long before Emirates Marketing Project offer to double his wages and give him a solid gold yacht plus a half billion to spend on new players?

Nah, I want to see Pochettino here (and successful obviously) for the next five years (at least). I want to see him given the support from the club to grow into the role and improve over time. THFC is going through a lot of upheaval over the next few years (with the new stadium and likely move to a temporary home), and I can't see how changing managers constantly through that period is going to do anything but harm us - even if by standard metrics, they are "better" managers.

We have a young squad who appear ambitious to succeed. And we have a young manager who appears the same. We've all been disappointed by our drop in quality over the past couple of months, but I think we have a manager who will learn from that mistake and not repeat it next year. I think if we keep Pochettino along with the main core of the squad; and if we support him in the transfer market; that we have a team that is almost guaranteed to improve consistently over the next few years. Bringing in another manager; whoever he is; will jeopardise that (IMO).

I agree. Even if we finish say 10th next year (which we have to concede is possible with the current playing staff) we jave to suck it up and get on with it. We have to give someone time.

Back