• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

From a Spurs news email I recently signed up for in the Torygraph.:

Mauricio Pochettino has cancelled his separate post-match press conferences while speculation over his Tottenham Hotspur future rumbles on.

The Tottenham manager is no longer giving a five-minute briefing following his main post-match press conferences, as he has done for the past four-and-a-half years.

The briefing, away from television cameras and radio microphones, was designed to give the written press, both newspapers and websites, some
exclusive content that could be held back.

It was also used to give Pochettino the chance to give any off-the-record explanations to his on-the-record statements that may have left room for doubt or confusion.

Tottenham are not using interest from Manchester United and Real Madrid as an excuse for Pochettino scaling back his media commitments, but the timing does allow him to avoid some potentially awkward questions.

Ironically, it was to broadcast questions that Simon Felstein, the club's head of communications, recently stopped any talk of United. The subject never came up during the separate written briefing at the end of the same media conference.

Jose Mourinho had long since stopped giving reporters extra time at the end of post-match press conferences by the time he left United, while Pep Guardiola and Unai Emery will only allow a couple of additional questions.

It is unclear whether Pochettino’s decision is temporary or long-term, but he remains one of the most engaging managers in the Premier League and still gives up 10 minutes of extra time to the written press at the end of his pre-match broadcast conferences.

Pochettino often complains that Tottenham have to put up with more speculation and doubts over their players than any other Premier League club.

But reporters are often quick to point out this is not the case, with Mourinho, Paul Pogba and the future of Chelsea star Eden Hazard all occupying far more column inches this season. And rival clubs and communications officers regularly claim Pochettino is given a preferable ride by the press.

While Pochettino will be talking slightly less, Tottenham are one of the best clubs for making their stars available to the media after games, with three or four players regularly stopping for various media in the mixed zone.

Harry Kane stops most frequently to talk to press, while the likes of Dele Alli, Danny Rose, Hugo Lloris are all engaging and good talkers. Of the Tottenham first-team regulars, only Christian Eriksen can be difficult to convince to give his views.

I think that if you see incomings this window, they will be young players that the manager/scouting team have identified for some time. And trust me, they have a few in mind. Again, the suggestion that the club are not onto these things is weird to me.
There must be ten midfielders that could start for Spurs, playing at 'lower' teams in Europe in CL and UEFA Cup i.e. they would see Spurs and in particular the Premier League and also our 'standard' wages as a step up.

When we play teams in Belgium Holland Greece Portugal France Croatia etc etc there must be a slew of players good enough for us.
I hope Levy puts the right price on the outgoings (sell them for fairly cheap) and the right price on incomings (don't haggle TOO much) so we can actually get some deals done and move forwards.
Honestly, a year later nobody cares about £5m here or there IF it is the right player. Football has moved on from that.

I hope Levy puts the right price on the outgoings (sell them for fairly cheap) and the right price on incomings (don't haggle TOO much) so we can actually get some deals done and move forwards.
Honestly, a year later nobody cares about £5m here or there IF it is the right player. Football has moved on from that.
Always felt we’ve had any extreme view on sale prices, i can’t remember selling anyone and thinking ‘that’s cheap’. Also remember players like Gomes and Bentley literally running down their contracts which makes me suspicious that players always have a ‘book’ value to levy, even if they serve no sporting purpose. Not arguing against the prudence that’s served us so well to date but there should be a you win some you lose some approach, so the gains when players that appreciate should be occasionally offset against potential losses. There’s also an opportunity cost where keeping players like Janssen and GNK in the wage bill are preventing us from signing the next Alli or Dier.

Always felt we’ve had any extreme view on sale prices, i can’t remember selling anyone and thinking ‘that’s cheap’. Also remember players like Gomes and Bentley literally running down their contracts which makes me suspicious that players always have a ‘book’ value to levy, even if they serve no sporting purpose. Not arguing against the prudence that’s served us so well to date but there should be a you win some you lose some approach, so the gains when players that appreciate should be occasionally offset against potential losses. There’s also an opportunity cost where keeping players like Janssen and GNK in the wage bill are preventing us from signing the next Alli or Dier.
Exactly - I think Levy tries to "win" them all, or will just let the player's contract run down which is terrible if the player is not playing i.e. we pay the wages and miss the small transfer fee incoming and we also have a player hanging about the place taking attention away from those playing. Sometimes it is prudent to just get it done and move on. You cannot "win" all transfers.

Just to repeat a couple of things I have consistently said and stand by.
1) it is not Levy’s fault when players wage themselves out of moves
2) our incoming issues are to do with squad size not prices. It is Poch’s choice to keep the squad reasonably sized.

I do agree that if we can get people to give us a fiver for NKoudou or Janssen, we need to stop fudging around.

I

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

2) our incoming issues are to do with squad size not prices. It is Poch’s choice to keep the squad reasonably sized.

I do agree that if we can get people to give us a fiver for NKoudou or Janssen, we need to stop fudging around.

I

All guess work with transfers.

But if Levy’s asking price was lower could the new club not give the player some of the saved money as signing on bonus to get round the wage issue.

Also, how much is nkoudou on?!!

All guess work with transfers.

But if Levy’s asking price was lower could the new club not give the player some of the saved money as signing on bonus to get round the wage issue.

Also, how much is nkoudou on?!!
I think players and agents are smarter than that. Big bonuses to "get around the wage issue" and the next players to negotiate well expect and demand the same.

Keeping wages relatively low has been one of the keys to our progress. Things well change a bit with the new stadium, but not so much that keeping wages at a reasonable level won't remain important even if what is considered reasonable changes somewhat.

And in today’s ‘how to click bait FAQ’...

Daily Mirror Headline: “Mauricio Pochettino ‘holds talks’ with a Man Utd over managerial position”

First paragraph : “Reports that Mauricio Pochettino has 'held talks' with Manchester United over becoming the Red Devils' new manager have been denied.”

1. Agreed and it may have been the case that Gomes and Bentley refused a free transfer if it meant taking a wage cut, especially Bentley as he had little intention of playing again towards the end. I just can’t remember us giving any out of favour player a free so I remain suspicious that they are always being treated like depreciating assets on paper when there could be a time when they they should be written off.

2. This is true too, although Poch’s squad size is probably based on an ‘active’ squad of 22 players or so whereas Levy is probably agnostic the number of players as long as it fits into his wage budget.

I’m wondering whether we may need to give GNK or Janssen a fiver to go! If either of them are turning down moves (which is their right) it’s a real shame from a sporting perspective as they are both early into their careers. Perhaps taking the money instead of seeking out playing time is one of the reasons they won’t make it at this level.

1. Agreed and it may have been the case that Gomes and Bentley refused a free transfer if it meant taking a wage cut, especially Bentley as he had little intention of playing again towards the end. I just can’t remember us giving any out of favour player a free so I remain suspicious that they are always being treated like depreciating assets on paper when there could be a time when they they should be written off.

2. This is true too, although Poch’s squad size is probably based on an ‘active’ squad of 22 players or so whereas Levy is probably agnostic the number of players as long as it fits into his wage budget.

I’m wondering whether we may need to give GNK or Janssen a fiver to go! If either of them are turning down moves (which is their right) it’s a real shame from a sporting perspective as they are both early into their careers. Perhaps taking the money instead of seeking out playing time is one of the reasons they won’t make it at this level.

I think GKN and Jansen would happily leave as both have stagnated at best here. The issue is you need genuinely willing buyers and people who will pay their wages. Their on premier league money here and wouldn’t get paid that in France or Holland for exmaple as their not star men.

Well - theres a couple of ways of looking at that.
1) clubs often supplement wages to buying clubs to get the player out
2) if the player wants to play, they may need to take a hit

Even if Pochettino holds talks with Manchester United, that doesn’t necesssrily mean that he wants to go, just that he’s interested in hearing what they have to offer. I’m not overly concerned and won’t be until he has confirmed departure if he’s going.

Even if Pochettino holds talks with Manchester United, that doesn’t necesssrily mean that he wants to go, just that he’s interested in hearing what they have to offer. I’m not overly concerned and won’t be until he has confirmed departure if he’s going.

Many more wins from OGS and it will almost be impossible for them not to appoint him rather than going external anyway. Fans like him given his days as a player so if he actually gets them in a battle for 4th, I think it would be hard for them not to try to hire him. Difference between the bookies odds are also narrowing - Poch now 5/4 or 6/4, OGS down to around 2/1

If he holds talks then we’re in trouble, but that’s a completely made up headline and the body of the article contradicts it. They go on to say he hasn’t held talks with them.

If he holds talks then we’re in trouble, but that’s a completely made up headline and the body of the article contradicts it. They go on to say he hasn’t held talks with them.
It’s bite like:

Piers Morgan is dead!
Strangletoss possible cause
Click here to find out more

Ok he’s not really dead, even if we wished he was. And we made you click and that gets us money as it doesn’t matter what the headline is if we don’t confirm it to be true.

I

I understand your frustration on that bolded bit mate, i have read your posts where you have said this on several occasions yet some fans seem unable to understand that or just ignore it.

The story has come from Caught Offside.com who I never heard of and assume are amateur journos generating clickbait. I had to laugh when I saw The Star quoting them this morning. Has journalism sunk that low?

Back