• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I fully agree with Pochs thoughts on the overall effect a league cup or fa Cup win would have on the club in the long run BUT he should have just kept his thoughts to himself as he does 99% of the time.

Straight bat and middle of the road mantra reply to all questions. Give them nothing.

With hindsight i would agree - shame that has to be the case though

Nah i disagree - what he says about the cups is correct and is nothing more than placing them behind the CL and the League in order of priority - what we see with our own eyes should tell us enough, we treat the cups exactly the same as every other top 6 side, rotate against weaker opposition and take them seriously with the first team in the latter stages - we rotated for the semi at the expense of a league match and you can see in the post match interviews both the players and the manager were upset with the defeat and at missing the chance to win the trophy.
Oh no, I agree with him regarding the fact qualifying for CL is of more importance etc But why does he need to state this to the press all the time? Like you say, all the other top 6 sides do the same as us yet I dont see any of them ever downplaying the importance of winning such trophies? I dont think this helps things mentally for our players knowing they already have that to fall back on if they lose. I dont doubt that Poch would like to win the FA Cup, I dont actually remember him being as animated as he was on Saturday....

I fully agree with Pochs thoughts on the overall effect a league cup or fa Cup win would have on the club in the long run BUT he should have just kept his thoughts to himself as he does 99% of the time.

Straight bat and middle of the road mantra reply to all questions. Give them nothing.
Sorry, yes just seen this. I guess we all agree on that part then....

Oh no, I agree with him regarding the fact qualifying for CL is of more importance etc But why does he need to state this to the press all the time? Like you say, all the other top 6 sides do the same as us yet I dont see any of them ever downplaying the importance of winning such trophies? I dont think this helps things mentally for our players knowing they already have that to fall back on if they lose. I dont doubt that Poch would like to win the FA Cup, I dont actually remember him being as animated as he was on Saturday....

Because he is asked the same leading questions ahead of cup games to further the narrative that i am talking about...

He might be asked the same questions, but his answer is wrong. All he has to say is We want to win the cup or we want to win all tournaments we are in - by dismissing the FA Cup publicly in its importance vs the League and CL it doesnt help anyone....

Ive read quotes and seen interviews where he has said we want to win trophies (in reference to the FA Cup)

From The Times:

Tottenham at crossroads as Mauricio Pochettino’s angst grows over ability to compete

Mauricio Pochettino began what could prove to be a pivotal fortnight in his managerial career with a serious power play.

Not once, not twice, but three times he cast doubt on his future at Tottenham Hotspur after they crumbled to a 2-1 defeat to Manchester United in the semi-finals of the FA Cup.

“We came here to create a winning mentality,” he said in a post-match interview with the BBC. “It’s about time and making a lot of change when you identify those things and Tottenham has a lot of work to do in that direction with myself or with another manager.”

He went on to repeat the same line when speaking to beIN Sports and then again in his post-match press conference. It may have been just the disappointment talking, but it looked more like a calculated comment on Pochettino’s behalf. Rarely has he spoken so candidly about his future. The disappointment of losing a second successive FA Cup semi-final, of once again failing to win a trophy after four years in charge, had taken its toll on Pochettino and his players.

“We are close but so far away,” said Michel Vorm, the Tottenham goalkeeper. “If you look in the dressing room now, it’s a mess.”

The idea of Pochettino leaving Spurs could come closer to reality this week if Real Madrid’s season starts to unravel. Barcelona, the unbeaten La Liga leaders, need just one more point to rule their great rivals out of the title race. And should Bayern Munich knock the reigning European champions out of the Champions League, Zinédine Zidane will surely be sacked. Pochettino, of course, is Real’s preferred candidate to replace him and few would begrudge the Argentinian the chance to manage one of the biggest clubs in the world. Real’s squad is blessed with some of the best talent in Europe and Pochettino would have a much larger budget to play with than at Tottenham.

Pochettino alluded to his frustration at playing second fiddle to the Premier League’s other top clubs in the transfer market after Saturday’s defeat. “Winning trophies when you face sides like Chelsea, Manchester United or Emirates Marketing Project is not easy,” he said.

“The most important thing is to be able to compete with them, like I said before, with myself or with [another] manager. It’s about carrying on working in that direction. I am sure we will arrive to compete and maybe win trophies when we face teams with a different philosophy than us.”

The clubs that Pochettino mentioned have had a much different philosophy in the transfer market. Since Pochettino took over in 2014, Spurs’ net expenditure on transfers has been £18.35 million — less than half that City paid for Leroy Sané, the young German winger, two years ago.

In casting doubt over his future, Pochettino was reminding Daniel Levy, the Spurs chairman, that he has effectively been fighting with one hand tied behind his back. Spurs have enjoyed memorable wins over the likes of United, Real and Emirates Marketing Project under Pochettino’s stewardship — and there is genuine excitement about moving to their new ground next season — but with the limited resources available to him, there is only so long his patience can last. Pochettino is no small-time manager. Sir Alex Ferguson spoke with great admiration for him two years ago just before Louis van Gaal was sacked as United manager. “Tottenham’s biggest problem [in the summer] will be keeping Mauricio Pochettino. There will be a lot of eyes on him,” he said.

Signings do not guarantee success, of course, but they often help. United had Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial, two deadly attacking forwards, on the bench on Saturday. There was no matchwinner among the Spurs replacements, hence why they could not swing the game back in their favour after surrendering the lead.

Tottenham cannot compete with the big boys in the wages department either. Harry Kane, who has scored 41 goals for club and country this season, is said to earn around £110,000 per week, only £10,000 a week more than Jesse Lingard, the United forward who is talented but nowhere near as prolific as the England striker. Kane admits that Spurs may have a mentality that stops them overcoming the final hurdle in their pursuit of silverware. “It could be. There’s a reason why we’re falling short in big games,” he said. “I wouldn’t be able to tell you exactly what it is, but it’s frustrating.”

Should Pochettino stay at Spurs, he admits he will be tempted to switch approach and play the youngsters coming through the academy to help the team’s chances of winning the FA Cup.

“Yes, I am thinking to play with kids, the next time, yes,” he said. “I’m sure it will be fantastic for experience.”

I see that as throwing down a challenge to the players, I've got you here and made you good enough as individuals and a team to win, now you have to do it. If you don't I won't be here, either he will be sacked or poached.

We obviously don't spend as much (nowhere near) the other top six clubs, but I also appreciate that it isn't their problem. It's ultimately up to Daniel Levy and Spurs to sort us out. He has done extremely well in taking us from mid table in 2003/04 to where we are now. It is starting to look like a pivotal moment for Tottenham, does DL stick and lose players and maybe the manager over money, or twist and aim high?

There is money on the horizon with the new stadium and NFL revenue. Add CL qualification again (hopefully) to that. Will he take an advance on that cash?

We obviously don't spend as much (nowhere near) the other top six clubs, but I also appreciate that it isn't their problem. It's ultimately up to Daniel Levy and Spurs to sort us out. He has done extremely well in taking us from mid table in 2003/04 to where we are now. It is starting to look like a pivotal moment for Tottenham, does DL stick and lose players and maybe the manager over money, or twist and aim high?

There is money on the horizon with the new stadium and NFL revenue. Add CL qualification again (hopefully) to that. Will he take an advance on that cash?

I don't think pochs comments are anything to do with money, he knows what there is and what there will be to spend for at least next season.
It's to do with the players, he will not keep players that continue to fail.
Losing the Cup games is one thing, losing in the manner we have is something else.

I don't think pochs comments are anything to do with money, he knows what there is and what there will be to spend for at least next season.
It's to do with the players, he will not keep players that continue to fail.
Losing the Cup games is one thing, losing in the manner we have is something else.

It’s impossible to tell what he meant. It could be anything from “I know I’m off to Madrid or somewhere”, “Give me a proper budget Danny” to “Lads, I’m not your babysitter. I won’t always be here so you have to win something.”

Only thing for sure is that it wasn’t a slip of the tongue or a poor translation. There is a message in there.

It’s impossible to tell what he meant. It could be anything from “I know I’m off to Madrid or somewhere”, “Give me a proper budget Danny” to “Lads, I’m not your babysitter. I won’t always be here so you have to win something.”

Only thing for sure is that it wasn’t a slip of the tongue or a poor translation. There is a message in there.

Totally agree, he is way too measured to say something by mistake.
I think he has a good enough relationship with DL to air dirty laundry like that.
It would also be totally out of character, he has always such a class act I find it difficult to believe he would act that way.

Defo sending a message of some kind - let's hope it's to the players...

Totally agree, he is way too measured to say something by mistake.
I think he has a good enough relationship with DL to air dirty laundry like that.
It would also be totally out of character, he has always such a class act I find it difficult to believe he would act that way.

From reading his book, I’d be surprised if it’s “Im off” because he criticized Walker for not sucking it up and saying nothing until the end of the season. And Walker didn’t even make it public he wanted out. It’d be hugely hypocritical if he effectively made it public with so much still to play for.

Likewise he does seem to have a good relationship with Levy.

That said, it’s Tottenham so I’m expecting us to lose the next 4 games and see him unveiled as Wenger’s replacement at the end of May.

We must not rely on any manager being a long term answer.
Poch is leaving....maybe in June 2018 or Jun 2020......or
If the only way we can succeed is under Pochettino! We are going to fail.
Football clubs no longer rely on managers or players..

From reading his book, I’d be surprised if it’s “Im off” because he criticized Walker for not sucking it up and saying nothing until the end of the season. And Walker didn’t even make it public he wanted out. It’d be hugely hypocritical if he effectively made it public with so much still to play for.

Likewise he does seem to have a good relationship with Levy.

That said, it’s Tottenham so I’m expecting us to lose the next 4 games and see him unveiled as Wenger’s replacement at the end of May.

Poch for the gooners, rsol for the lane..... You just know its going to happen.

Back