• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Find it unacceptable that Pochettino failed to sign any players in January despite us facing many players out with injury problems especially Vertonghen. But then not really convinced of Pochettino's ability to sign the right players. Among the players he signed, only Alli, Alderweireld and Wanyama have become regulars for us while the likes of Vorm, Dier, Son, Wimmer, Davies and Trippier are too inconsistent. The failures includes the likes of Yedlin, Fazio, Stambouli, Njie and so far Sissoko, Janssen and Nkoudou. I think we need someone else to be in charge of transfers.

Talk about over the top comments. :eek:

Seriously?
Bentaleb was so bad last season. Every time he was given a chance by Poch he went walkabout trying long shots and little flicks like someone trying to make a youtube compilation and not win a football game.
Wimmer was good last season but he has been terrible on a number of occasions this season. He has done nothing to get his place in the team.

The likes of Jansson(27 games), Sissoko(23 games), N'Koudou(13 games), Wimmer (9 games), Onomah (10 games), Davies(18 games) have all had their chance to this season and none of them have done anything to deserve a place in the first team.

Winks however has taken his opportunity and is usually the first player subbed on now.

Poch runs a meritocracy. Its not his fault most of the second string are so far behind.
Well he has some blame in insisting we buy Sissoko.

The part about being too loyal to Kane and Alli is ridiculous.

If he was too loyal to Dier he wouldnt be playing Wanyama ahead of him or Vertonghen and Alderweireld ahead of him.
I think some of the critisism of Sissoko is over the top. I think he has been OK in most of the games that he has played. I think he is being judged purely on his price-tag as opposed to his contribution (which IMO has him as a reasonable member of our squad).

This is the time of year when games come thick and fast and we have to use the variations available in our squad as well as our tactical strategies.

I must say, i think questions will have to be asked if our core 11 players do suffer from burnout near the end of the season: the likes of Sissoko, Janssen and NKoudou were brought in not simply to play second-fiddle but ultimately to provide competition, depth and variation to the squad and i find it alarming that they have still not either been used enough or are still not seemingly up to it in Poch's eyes.

Big money (at least for us) was spent on those 3 and the fact that they are still fully on the fringes for me says one/some of the following:

1) Poch's judgement of which players will do well for us/him is not good enough for us to build a bigger squad full of REAL options (If any of the 3 get released in the summer after the likes of N'jie, Stambouli and Fazio previously, then this time for me there will be no "Levy pennypinching again" excuses to fall back on)

2) Poch's training methods are such that only a core group of 13/14 who will likely play most games can fully integrate into it; we are maybe stuck in this mode forever more and unless we get our revenues to increase like we hope compared to our rivals will be afford such a special breed of player who is maybe older and doesn't need to be playing all the time but has the skill/experience/class to simply 'slot-in' as and when needed. So then making such 'squad signings' almost pointless right now.

3) They really were not even Poch's 4th choice targets on his wanted list last summer

I know people can/will point to fact that Janssen and Nkoudou are young and "should maybe be judged next season" but A) what did "next season" bring for N'Jie, Stambouli and Fazio? B) Poch has not needed to 'bed in' others like, Dier, Alli, Toby, Davies and Wanyama and C) by February is usually the time by which we can tell if players bought will make it under Poch (so long as they haven't been injured most of the season up to then).

Here's hoping that Poch and Sissoko/Janssen/Nkoudou prove me wrong in the coming weeks, but not looking promising tbh:(

"Barcelona’s current woes could have reverberations on the Premier League: the Mirror reports that Emirates Marketing Project are teeing up a £100m bid to bring Messi to the Premier League and reunite him with his former manager Pep Guardiola. With Luis Enrique’s days in charge looking numbered, Tottenham Hotspur supporters will be upset by press reports saying the Spanish club have identified Mauricio Pochettino as the Spaniard’s successor despite his longtime association with their city rivals Espanyol. The 46-year-old Argentinian is contracted to Tottenham until 2021, but wouldn’t be human if he wasn’t tempted by the offer of a spell in the Camp Nou hot-seat."

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-messi-to-manchester-city-pochettino-to-barca

From http://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...for-a-sprint-finish-kyle-walker-35470057.html

Walker on Poch:

"He's made a few tweaks which I think has helped us recover a lot faster," Walker told Press Association Sport.

"He's cut down on some of the training sessions, we don't train every day now, and with the intensity of the training sessions as well, he might not demand as much as he used to.

"He's a great manager, he thinks about us as players and individuals. We're quite happy to go and voice our opinion. If we're a bit tired he says, 'okay today is a bit of a down-day for you'.

"I can only speak for myself but I've still got a lot left in the tank this season. I still feel very fresh."

From http://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...for-a-sprint-finish-kyle-walker-35470057.html

Walker on Poch:

"He's made a few tweaks which I think has helped us recover a lot faster," Walker told Press Association Sport.

"He's cut down on some of the training sessions, we don't train every day now, and with the intensity of the training sessions as well, he might not demand as much as he used to.

"He's a great manager, he thinks about us as players and individuals. We're quite happy to go and voice our opinion. If we're a bit tired he says, 'okay today is a bit of a down-day for you'.

"I can only speak for myself but I've still got a lot left in the tank this season. I still feel very fresh."
Good to hear, and good on Walker setting a good example.

Walker on Poch:

Oh my days! Thank you for this.

Many times people said we might be overtraining, and others said "Trust in Poch, they have sports scientists, they know best"... and now it turns out that perhaps they didn't.

Great stuff

Oh my days! Thank you for this.

Many times people said we might be overtraining, and others said "Trust in Poch, they have sports scientists, they know best"... and now it turns out that perhaps they didn't.

Great stuff

Remember that Dutch fitness coach everyone was piling on when he suggested that Poch was burning his players out by affording them insufficient recovery time and overtraining them?

Turns out, Poch took his advice. So, y'know, boo-sucks to the people who were slagging him off. ;)

Edit: turns out, that guy (Raymond Verheijen) has also been criticizing Klopp for the same thing, and Klopp recently reacted in the same prickly manner as some of our fans did when Verheijen was criticizing Poch. I wonder if he'll also end up doing exactly what Verheijen suggests and easing up on the training between games.

or it was a conclusion arrived to by the coaching team/fitness staff with the data they collected over the pass couple of seasons?

or it was a conclusion arrived to by the coaching team/fitness staff with the data they collected over the pass couple of seasons?

Might well have been, but the point is, that coach wasn't wrong - indeed, his recommendation was adopted, although it may not have been down to him as much as it was down to our sports scientists and/or coaching staff.

The barca brick again .. Poch has explicitly said he will never manage Barca due to Espanyol connections ..

@glorygloryeze last set of buys have not panned out totally, Wanyama has been a spectacular success (as was Toby year before), but we have had issues with the players you mentioned.

To me, we are in that odd space, our team is good, very good when it comes to first 11.
- We can't go buy finished product, and it isn't even all about wages, it's anyone that is a step up from our first team and finished product we would be competing with Barca/Real/etc. for.
- We have to buy potential/promise (yes, even at 15-30M price ranges)

I think Poch & Levy have agreed to a fail fast model, either we see promise on pitch/training and stick with that (see Lamela), or we sell on (see N'Jie) and try again. Actually have no problem with that model, but it does mean we can expect fringe player to churn pretty often.

People need to realize we have a system, its not chaos, its planned
- Walker, Rose, Jan, Lloris, Eriksen, Kane, Dembele & Lamela all have 3-5+ seasons with us, I cannot remember that kind of consistency in the team in my time.
- Son, Winks, Toby in second season (Winks obviously in youth setup much longer)

Rolling through 3-4 fringe players a season to find the next Toby, Wanyama, Eriksen, etc. I don't see as an issue (because I also trust Levy will get the finances of that right).

Might well have been, but the point is, that coach wasn't wrong - indeed, his recommendation was adopted, although it may not have been down to him as much as it was down to our sports scientists and/or coaching staff.

im sure it was something that would have happened without the Dutch guys 'input' was my point and that i trust the fact the staff are making the decision to change their training methods more so than i do someone from the outside making a comment - whether he was later proved right or not

im sure it was something that would have happened without the Dutch guys 'input' was my point and that i trust the fact the staff are making the decision to change their training methods more so than i do someone from the outside making a comment - whether he was later proved right or not

Maybe, maybe not. My point was that dogpiling Verheijen the way we did when he made his comments isn't really helpful given that he was making his comments from an informed standpoint - having been a fitness coach himself, for many of the best teams in the world to boot. ;)

Maybe, maybe not. My point was that dogpiling Verheijen the way we did when he made his comments isn't really helpful given that he was making his comments from an informed standpoint - having been a fitness coach himself, for many of the best teams in the world to boot. ;)
One thing I would ask here is exactly how much did this Verheijen know about our training? Had he been on the inside observing or just guessing?

One thing I would ask here is exactly how much did this Verheijen know about our training? Had he been on the inside observing or just guessing?

Probably guessing. But he's an insider to football training regimes in general, given that he's been a fitness coach and advisor for a lot of clubs and national sides.

Honestly I think that Veheijen made the commentsjust to keep his profile up and seem relevant

There is a reason he isn't employed at any top clubs anymore

Honestly I think that Veheijen made the commentsjust to keep his profile up and seem relevant

There is a reason he isn't employed at any top clubs anymore

Maybe. But, again, the point is that he was right, not that he said it just to stay relevant (as is quite possible, given that he also apparently delights in criticizing Klopp at 'Pool).

Back