• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Talking of whom, when will we see him holding our shirt aloft? Last week we were told by a so called ITK that Lovren would sign in a couple of days...tell you what, we must have kept that signing quiet!!

If talk of Poch taking a break in Argentina first and not starting until end of June are true I wonder if we will have to wait a bit longer before we see any transfer movement?

Not sure his opinion will be shaped by those games alone for example Lovren had his worse game of the season at WHL

Well, obviously he saw Lovren play 30-something games last season, so that one won't overly impact. But he only saw our boys play live twice, so I think it's interesting how they did.

Well, obviously he saw Lovren play 30-something games last season, so that one won't overly impact. But he only saw our boys play live twice, so I think it's interesting how they did.

I'm sure that he will have watched DVDs of our games in preparation for Southampton's games against us last season and will have read detailed dossiers on our players' strengths and weaknesses.

I'm sure that he will have watched DVDs of our games in preparation for Southampton's games against us last season and will have read detailed dossiers on our players' strengths and weaknesses.

are those the AVB classified dossiers/slides?

If talk of Poch taking a break in Argentina first and not starting until end of June are true I wonder if we will have to wait a bit longer before we see any transfer movement?

He's gonna have eff all say in who's coming in anyway.
And rightly so. He spent 27m on Wanyama and Osvaldo last summer.

I agree with you that it makes some impact on Poch. In the past Spurs often happened to sign (or be linked with) players and managers that we just had a hard time against in Europe.

Wanyama is a good player and will get even better.

Osvaldo is a good player but just didn't work out, all manager makes mistakes.
The same manager responsible for bringing in David Bellion, Djemba Djemba and Massimo Taibi is the same manager responsible for bringing in Ronaldo, Roy Keane, Vidic, Evra and Ruud Van Nistlerooy.
The same manager that brought in Fabregas, Vieira and Henry is the same manager that brought in Glen Helder, Chamakh and Pasqal Cigan.

No manager gets it right every single time. The way some people pick at every little detail, such as long ball stats, transfers and league positioning for a team that sold its best players etc is laughable.

Nothing is as easy as how it seems on paper. Pochettino is a good manager, get over it

Last edited:

Haha is that any worse than the 110 mill Levy and Baldini p!ssed up the wall :)

As much as I'm an advocate of win at all costs regardless of style. I'd be happy with 6th, even 7th ASLONG as Poch is given time and we can see a visible plan in place in regards to philosophy and style of play.

Disagree. Sherwood got the job in extraordinary circumstances, mid season when all our other targets were unavailable. He wasn't quite a caretaker, but as illustrated by his 18 month contract that had a "get out" clause come the summer he wasn't quite a permanent choice either.

In those extraordinary circumstances he was essentially only going to keep his job if he performed extraordinary well, more or less defined as top 4.

The Pochettino hiring is very different. Amongst many potential, and available, candidates he was chosen as the best option after careful consideration. He was given a 5 year contract (although probably with some "get out" clauses. He's clearly a permanent manager. As we have higher expectations that he will do well long term the short term requirements are not as restrictive.

so you're saying that there werent people on this forum that were very vocal that said that 4th was / should be sherwoods goal?

Last edited:
As much as I'm an advocate of win at all costs regardless of style. I'd be happy with 6th, even 7th ASLONG as Poch is given time and we can see a visible plan in place in regards to philosophy and style of play.

8th with Southampton squad is probably the equivalent of 6th with the Spurs Squad. Imo Southampton are the 8th best Squad and Spurs are the 6th best squad at least. There isn't 6 better squads than ours so finishing 7th would be considered a regression for Pochettino and I don't think should be considered acceptable.

Im expecting us to finish above Liverpool and Everton next year for sure. Personally I'm expecting 5th

Last edited:
Never expected Sherwood to get 4th. Just didn't like him and he proved to be even more unlikeable towards the end of his tenure.

I don't expect Pochetinno to get 4th regularly till we become one of the top 4 wage payers in the league.

He may pull it off for one season but then the regulars who do pay more will respond and spend big and pay more over the next summer like Utd will this summer. We cannot compete at least till the new stadium.

Just want a settled team, happy dressing room and decent football.

8th with Southampton squad is probably the equivalent of 6th with the Spurs Squad. Imo Southampton are the 8th best Squad and Spurs are the 6th best squad at least. There isn't 6 better squads than ours so finishing 7th would be considered a regression for Pochettino and I don't think should be considered acceptable.

Im expecting us to finish above Liverpool and Everton next year for sure. Personally I'm expecting 5th

but no one was saying Southampton were the 6th best squad in the league at the beginning of the season - it's only because they've had a good season that people are are saying that's where they should be, seems strange to me that people would try and diminish their achievements

general consensus was 10th-12th (as has been pointed out in this thread by a poster who linked to several media outlets pre season predictions)

but no one was saying Southampton were the 6th best squad in the league at the beginning of the season - it's only because they've had a good season that people are are saying that's where they should be, seems strange to me that people would try and diminish their achievements

general consensus was 10th-12th (as has been pointed out in this thread by a poster who linked to several media outlets pre season predictions)

neither did i. i said 8th best squad.

see what ive done there is type 6th rather than 8th - but then im sure you knew that, which makes that reply rather pointless.

8th with Southampton squad is probably the equivalent of 6th with the Spurs Squad.
Really? I don't see it that way at all, but obviously we can agree to differ on that.

Seems to me that finishing 8th is right at the top end of realistic expectations for Southampton. Whereas a 6th place finish for Tottenham would not represent (not for me anyway) the top end of realistic expectation. For me, right now, that would be 4th*. I think that's a realistic goal with our current set-up. But I also think it's right at the most optimistic end of the scale (and I'm happy to give Pochettino a couple of seasons to achieve it).

Last season though, I would say that 8th with Southampton was more like 4th with Spurs. Before the season started, not one person would have suggested Southampton had a decent chance of finishing 6th (blindly optimistic fans might have said it. And they would have been laughed at. Quite rightly.) Yet plenty were saying that Spurs would be "in the hunt for the Champions League places". And not many people were laughing (especially since we were challenging for 4th despite playing some questionable football). So while I think the AVB/Sherwood one-two combo got Spurs finishing right where you'd expect us to finish an average season, Pochettino got Southampton finishing right at the edge of their potential. And surely that's a positive sign.

None of us know how he's going to work, but we all want him to succeed (I hope). And from what I can`tell, the signs are - on the whole - positive. So far.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* obviously I'm hoping that the new stadium will help raise that bar.

Last edited:
Back