• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Thats great but the guy has never had to do the type of fighting on multiple fronts he has to do here. He has no experience of using rotation really.

At Southampton he only had Premier League games to deal with during his first season. Second season he only had 3 league cup games and 3 fa cup games. He was never in more than two competitions at once.
All the more reason to support him as he learns - much like our young players

Exactly. And people seem to forget that he only came in in the summer. Most of us had zero expectations for this year. The fact he has playing as a team and, as you say, competing on three fronts is a miracle.

Disagree with that. Many rated this a 'very good squad' last year (that finished 6th with a pub team manager), we added 6 more in the summer, and we had a huge upgrade at manager. Some things take time to develop, but keep in mind several think he will only be here 3 seasons anyway, so if thats to be believed he only has 2 seasons left after this. So in that sense we are some ways in to the 'marathon' that some talk of already.

Last edited:
Disagree with that. Many rated this a 'very good squad' last year (that finished 6th with a pub team manager), we added 6 more in the summer, and we had a huge upgrade at manager. And keep in mind, several think he will only be here 3 seasons anyway, so only 2 seasons left after this. So we are some ways in to the 'marathon' that some talk of already. I'm not saying he's done a bad job and I've been pleased with some aspects. But we had zero expectations? Nah, I don't think footy works like that, from Levy on down.
The expectations that we had in the summer, i think, are being met - BUILD A TEAM.

I don't think anyone had top 4 as a minimum requirement, the focus from top down has been to take this squad of players and make a team of them - which as far as i am concerned is being met

Right, so you had some expectations then, not 'zero', which was my point to OP.

'I don't think anyone had top 4 as a minimum requirement'. I agree. I don't recall anyone saying that Top4 is a minimum requirement this season. Strawman argument?

Assuming he has/is building a team this season as you say, what about his next 2 seasons...do you have a feel for what your expectations will be then? When he took over, did you have any thoughts on what his 2nd and 3rd year should produce?

Last edited:

'I don't think anyone had top 4 as a minimum requirement'. I agree, and I don't recall anyone saying that.

Assuming he has/is building a team this season as you say, what about his next 2 seasons...do you have a feel for what your expectations will be then? When he took over, did you have any thoughts on what his 2nd and 3rd year should produce?

Looking beyond this season... That we look like a team that plays to it's fullest and we push those above us hard in the league so if any arent at their best we can capitilise.

Disagree with that. Many rated this a 'very good squad' last year (that finished 6th with a pub team manager), we added 6 more in the summer, and we had a huge upgrade at manager. Some things take time to develop, but keep in mind several think he will only be here 3 seasons anyway, so if thats to be believed he only has 2 seasons left after this. So in that sense we are some ways in to the 'marathon' that some talk of already.

It is not an unreasonable expectation, Fat Sam is the second longest serving manager in the league and he is in his fourth season

It is not an unreasonable expectation, Fat Sam is the second longest serving manager in the league and he is in his fourth season

I agree with you, its not, and you may be right on the money. And if true, it will presumably make this next summer window huge for him (and us), especially given that we did nothing this Jan.

I agree with you, its not, and you may be right on the money. And if true, it will presumably make this next summer window huge for him (and us), especially given that we did nothing this Jan.

It depends on how you measure success. I think that we have had a successful season already and it could become a very successful season if things go our way next weekend. It is clear how Poch wants us to play and we can all see the improvement in the players. We know which players look surplus to requirements and look to be headed for the exit. That all said, silverware is still a really tall order because of the disparity in money between us and the clubs above us. I think that if we can have a series of managers who can keep us competing whilst the stadium is being built, we will have done well.

Last edited:

'I don't think anyone had top 4 as a minimum requirement'. I agree. I don't recall anyone saying that Top4 is a minimum requirement this season. Strawman argument?

He is fulfilling the chairman's dream right now of developing a talented, aggressive and spirited side/squad based around youth with a few experienced players and some 'spotted' overseas talent. Bye bye big money arrivals (not that we ever had many of those unless we sold). I think it is undeniable he is building a team. The evidence is clear. As to the last part of your question, I had no idea because I did not know if he would be able to do what it appeared he wanted to do without boardroom interference/fan patience. He appears to have both and has exceeded my expectations. I think if we can back him, on the pitch we can make a real go for top 4 and a cup. The variable will be moving home temporarily; that will have a big effect sadly IMO.

To give some perspective to how well Poch has done in his first season I think it is worth comparing him to my favourite comparator Brenton Rodgers and what he achieved in his first season. Bearing in mind Rodgers had suarez and Sturridge he did not beat any of the top 4 in that season, poch's team has outplayed both Mourinho and Wenger. Rodgers liverpool went out in the 4th round of both domestic cup competitions, poch has reached the final of one. Ultimately liverpool finished 7th, I am confident poch will at least finish on a par if not better it. So based on this if in the long term, poch is backed in a similar way in the transfer market to Brenton I believe he will do better. Just my IMO of course.

To give some perspective to how well Poch has done in his first season I think it is worth comparing him to my favourite comparator Brenton Rodgers and what he achieved in his first season. Bearing in mind Rodgers had suarez and Sturridge he did not beat any of the top 4 in that season, poch's team has outplayed both Mourinho and Wenger. Rodgers liverpool went out in the 4th round of both domestic cup competitions, poch has reached the final of one. Ultimately liverpool finished 7th, I am confident poch will at least finish on a par if not better it. So based on this if in the long term, poch is backed in a similar way in the transfer market to Brenton I believe he will do better. Just my IMO of course.

Well, this isn't a Pool thread, but to offer some more perspective, if I may. Not convinced we will equate to them in transfer market, so thats a big 'if' of yours, and many in here have explained why. We did nothing in Jan, and some are already talking 'no biggies' this summer. (Now that I think about it, that coud be a set up for Poch, but be that as it may...). I believe it was said that minus Suarez, and with the addition of Europe (CL no less), they would get 'found out'. Well, they did the double over us this season. (And last season). And when you say 'long term' I'm not sure of your timeframe, since some in here think Poch will only be here 2 more seasons anyway, which I agree is possible.

Last edited:
We were missing 2 out of the attacking 6 (Eriksen and Chadli) today compared to our strongest team imo. Arguably Fazio is ahead of Dier, but with West Ham likely to come to counter with pace Dier ahead of Fazio could also just be a preference.

I struggle to see how that can be seen as "heavy player rotation".

Tons of games, cup final coming up. If he didn't rotate and we didn't succeed people would slate him for it.

What is highlighted is that some of our squad players look not quite up for it. That's a question for the summer though I suppose.

its not just this game. i think we have had enough time to start our strongest eleven, and even though eriksen hasn't been pulling out trees lately, it was a big gamble to leave him out considering that he'd been one of the most - if not - the most regular starter for us.

i enjoy poch's work with his high pressure quick passing game, but as with any system, there are limitation. add to that that we are a young-ish team, so players aren't familiar with each other yet. so it often looks like we're playing with each other for the first time. we're too logical, too predictable and when the odd moment of inspiration comes its an inch too short or a yard too wide.

if the need to rotate is due to the intensity demanded from poch's football style, and if we don't have the squad to play it, why not revert to a more relaxed brand of football. we've won by sitting back deep and playing on the counter so perhaps a Plan B is required for us to stay fresh within a very tight schedule.

in short, i'd rather we keep starting our strongest eleven and adapt our game and manage the intensity to keep our players fresh and effective.

i had my doubts when he got the job, but now i think he has done fabulously well, totally exceeded my expectations.

we have a very young team, a homegrown british heart, we are playing vibrant attacking football (only gripe is that we still cannot create too many clear cut chances), we are in a cup final, still in the race for a top 4 finish, still in europe, even if it all goes t!ts up from now till the end of the season il still be happy with what ive seen this season.

regarding rotation, im of the opinion that id rather we start our best team from now till the end of the campaign, with maybe one or two changes from time to time. There are not many games left, the players are hungry, young and fit, let them get on with it. Lloris, Walker, Fazio, Vertonghen, Rose, Mason, Bentaleb, Eriksen, Chadli, Dembele, Kane......with Soldado, Lamela, Townsend, Stambouli, Dier and Davies given some minutes too.

I'd say Bentaleb was more important than Mason

I disagree because I think Stambouli is a competent replacement for Bentaleb. We really didn't miss NB as much during the ACN as I expected because Stambouli stepped up.

Whereas there is no-one in our squad that can do what Mason does - no one with his drive, assertiveness and quick transitioning. Paulinho, Dembele and Capoue have all failed miserably in his position. We are limp, turgid and directionless without Mason. The last hour against Fiorentina being a prime example.

I disagree because I think Stambouli is a competent replacement for Bentaleb. We really didn't miss NB as much during the ACN as I expected because Stambouli stepped up.

Whereas there is no-one in our squad that can do what Mason does - no one with his drive, assertiveness and quick transitioning. Paulinho, Dembele and Capoue have all failed miserably in his position. We are limp, turgid and directionless without Mason. The last hour against Fiorentina being a prime example.

We absolutely tore into Chelsea without Mason. But point taken, he does give us something unique and his energy is very important. I think he's been a little wayward and careless with his passing at times, and he's better than that as we've seen.

Bentaleb is our maestro right now. Granted Stambouli did well, but Bentaleb is becoming a real presence in our team. A leader at just 20. Remarkable

Back