• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

alex ferguson didn't rotate that much compared to wenger, and look at how the results pan out over time.

SAF rotated much more than Wenger .. just in a different way

SAF tended to play younger players earlier in season, switching to senor players in 2nd half
SAF also has had a tendency to have 2 or 3 dependable bench players that never really make 1st 11.

SAF rotated much more than Wenger .. just in a different way

SAF tended to play younger players earlier in season, switching to senor players in 2nd half
SAF also has had a tendency to have 2 or 3 dependable bench players that never really make 1st 11.

ok point noted but there was less chopping and changing game to game, less disruption, more opportunities for strong team cohesion. and its not extremes we're talking about but a balance needed to consistently put out your best eleven over the course of the season.

and its not like leicester has a bigger squad than us; if we went head to head with them with our first eleven we i would expect our players to still be better than them.

Poch has to rotate, as it is, we are on course for a 68 games season, it's not about now, its about how much Lloris, Vert, Eriksen, Chadli, Kane will have in march - may.

The problem is not the rotation, its the application, concentration and energy of 2nd string.

Agreed.

The problem is not the rotation, its the application, concentration and energy of 2nd string.

Coaching then? Assuming your are right, could other managers address this and get more out of these (costly) 2nd stringers.

Last edited:
Coaching then? Assuming your are right, could other managers address this and get more out of these (costly) 2nd stringers.

Part of it is coaching, but specifically to our issues, in a fairly big squad, I think there are 3 or 4 that have no place in the team, and maybe a change of scenery will work for them, but probably the best solution (and I usually don't like selling as a solution) for us is to move them on.

I think the system the club is going for, requires committed players, and we have a few who simply don't do that with any consistency

Part of it is coaching, but specifically to our issues, in a fairly big squad, I think there are 3 or 4 that have no place in the team, and maybe a change of scenery will work for them, but probably the best solution (and I usually don't like selling as a solution) for us is to move them on.

I think the system the club is going for, requires committed players, and we have a few who simply don't do that with any consistency

I hear ya, and I would prolly agree with that. You make good points. However, I did see this earlier...

I am pretty certain that Poch would happily let half of our squad leave without much of a fight.

Which is worriesome to me. From a very good squad...to needing 1 or 2 additions at certain positions...to half the squad. Hmmm. And Kane, Mason, and Bentalab weren't considered great, or at least were unproven, at the start of this season. There is going to be a lot of movement in the windows then. At some point. ;)

Last edited:
Didn't Fergie once go 90 odd games without ever picking the same XI in a row? I'm sure quite a big thing was made of it when he named an unchanged lineup, breaking that streak.

I hear ya, and I would prolly agree with that. You make good points. However, I did see this earlier...

Which is worriesome to me. From a very good squad...to needing 1 or 2 additions at certain positions...to half the squad. Hmmm. And Kane, Mason, and Bentalab weren't considered great, or at least were unproven, at the start of this season. There is going to be a lot of movement in the windows then. At some point. ;)

I would not be happy shifting half the squad ..

4 or 5 tops ..

Kaboul, Ekotto, Capoue, Dembele, Paulinho, Lennon, Soldado and Adebayor

players i envisage being on the 'can go' list

not a bad group of players by any stretch and will mostly all go on to play in good teams should they leave - however i don't think they are what we need in the squad at the moment and are all upgradeable.

Ekotto and Kaboul are no longer at the required level
Dembele isn't really suited to the managers style - could still turn it around i guess
Soldado Capoue and Paulinho haven't cut the mustard/don't seem suited to the league
Ade is Ade
not really sure with Lennon but Townsends recent quotes about working hard in training resulting in chances in the first team makes me wonder if this could be the reasoning behind his lack of involvement?

that was Benitez iirc

Here it is,I knew I wasn't going mad! :lol:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/dec/29/alex-ferguson-manchester-united-squad-rotation

When Sir Alex Ferguson was asked recently about the team he was planning to play in the next match he leant back in his chair and announced to the assembled journalists that if anyone predicted his side accurately he would pay for them to have a weekend in Loch Lomond before adding, Fergie being Fergie, that he would make sure "the midges were out". The prize, as you can imagine, went unclaimed. It has become football's equivalent of nailing a jelly to the wall and tomorrow, when Wigan Athletic visit Old Trafford, we can expect it to be the 99th consecutive game in which the Manchester United manager has not kept the same side.

ah well remembered - im sure there was a similar stat regarding RB and his Liverpool side though

I remember seeing something on a Liverpool site, where they said that RB used to get caned for rotating too much, but infact he made the same number of changes to his team as Jose and Fergie (over the course of a season). I suppose it helps if you win the league as well though!

For us, we struggle to rotate because we have too many players who can't come in and hit the ground running. The likes of Paulinho seem to need about 3 months training, then be eased into the side in the exact position required and then another 25 starts before we can expect to see a performance that can be rated 6 out of 10.

I like Poch think he is a good manager and like his style of play, I am a little sad about going out in the cup as I would love to see us win it again before I die.

Someone said elsewhere that the are a lot of players they do not care for, I agree it is hard to really like some of our players. The young ones are they only thing that has kept me interested for so long.

What ever you think of him it is obvious Soldado is not up to what we need, which is goals.

I would be happy to see the back of Kaboul, Ekotto, Chiriches, Capoue, Paulinho, Lennon, Dembele, Ade, Soldado. None of them are good enough, the are a few others I doubt are good enough either like chiriches and townsend and holtby but I would keep them around for a bit.

In terms of player rotation:

There is a big difference between inserting 2 different players each week... and just playing an entirely different team in certain competitions.

In the first system you keep a pretty settled side, but each player might play a lot of games in a row, then get a break.
In the second system, you play each Saturday or each Wednesday, but not both.

At some points Poch seemed to favour the second system... play the reserves in UEFA or early League Cup or early FA Cup, whilst retaining the "main team" for the league.

But to be honest it is hard to keep up because at some stage he thought players like Ade, Kaboul, Capoue, Paulinho were first teamers which boggled my mind... but eventually he realised they are terrible and they became the reserve players... so it is hard to know what he has been up to!

Southampton was a solid performance, as was Everton. Now I'm not saying they were dull games, but I wouldn't necessarily class them as exciting either.

Saudi Sportswashing Machine in the cup was a great result, but their keeper had an absolute shocker.

Chelsea and QPR were very good, if not great, point taken.

But on the whole no, I don't think we have been that exciting to watch. Maybe a bit unfair comparing it to AVB's style of play though I accept that.

That being said, I still think he's right about the individual brilliance part.

Surely though 'individual brilliance' is always required to ensure a team is successful....? In the Chelsea game Spurs as a team were excellent and to ensure we won Harry Kane stepped up and showed some 'individual brilliance'. This however isn't unique to Spurs and regularly people like; Aguero, Hazard, Rooney, Ronaldo, Messi, etc... step up and help their team with an 'individually brilliant' performance.

My other observation on Poch's blueprint would be the way we set up and played versus Sunderland away. At least 10 shots on goal Lamella hitting the bar and us battering them for the first 70 mins. Unfortunately the back third was still a work in progress then and we only managed a draw.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Back