• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

If Paulinho manages to turn his Spurs career around I would be flabbergasted. I'm sure he was probably half decent in Brazil and we are seeing the worst of him, but to turn it around now would be the amazing to say the least. He's gone too far down the path of mediocrity to ever come back IMO.

If Paulinho manages to turn his Spurs career around I would be flabbergasted. I'm sure he was probably half decent in Brazil and we are seeing the worst of him, but to turn it around now would be the amazing to say the least. He's gone too far down the path of mediocrity to ever come back IMO.

I suspect we are close to final judgment on the players bought with the Bale money

Success - Eriksen, Chadli
Undecided - Lamela
Failed - Soldado, Lamela, Capoue, Paulinho

I suspect we are close to final judgment on the players bought with the Bale money

Undecided - Lamela
Failed - Soldado, Lamela, Capoue, Paulinho

Undecided - Lamela, Soldado
Slight disappointment - Chiriches, Capoue
Failed - Paulinho

I still think it is too early to write Soldado off - give him till the end of the season.

Chiriches and Capoue had good spells, and I think we'll recoup not far off what we paid for them.

Soldado 26m
Lamela 26m
Paulinho 17m
Eriksen 11m
Capoue 8.6m
Chriches 8.2m
Chadli 7m

Total 103.8m

What I we think we'd get if we sold 5 of them
Soldado 12m, Lamela 20m, Paulinho 12m, Capoue 5m, Chriches 5m.
That 50m for Eriksen and Chadli. They are probably worth about that now.

Soldado 26m
Lamela 26m
Paulinho 17m
Eriksen 11m
Capoue 8.6m
Chriches 8.2m
Chadli 7m

Total 103.8m

What I we think we'd get if we sold 5 of them
Soldado 12m, Lamela 20m, Paulinho 12m, Capoue 5m, Chriches 5m.
That 50m for Eriksen and Chadli. They are probably worth about that now.

Transfers are always an odds game. So yes - we're probably about where we started

Buying relatively young players means none of their values could really take that big a hit. Only Soldado will depreciate because he's 28.

And all this needs to be counterbalanced by Kane, Bentaleb, Townsend and Mason costing nothing and probably being worth at least £65m now.

Failed - Paulinho

I still think it is too early to write Soldado off - give him till the end of the season.

Chiriches and Capoue had good spells, and I think we'll recoup not far off what we paid for them.

for £26m I think Soldado has had plenty of chances. I think you could've made that statement in Jan 2014 but not now. Harry Kane has shown him up in all honesty.

Failed - Paulinho

Big success - Ericksen
Reasonable success - Chadli
Disappointment - Lamela, Chiriches
Big disappointment - Paulinho
Waste of space - Capoue
Worst ever value signing - Soldado.

for £26m I think Soldado has had plenty of chances. I think you could've made that statement in Jan 2014 but not now. Harry Kane has shown him up in all honesty.

Harry Kane is best English forward since Sheringham. It's no embarrassment being eclipsed by him.

Their records aren't even a million miles different (considering the phenomenon Kane is) - Soldado 7 in 36, Kane 10 in 27.

Harry Kane is best English forward since Sheringham. It's no embarrassment being eclipsed by him.

Their records aren't even a million miles different (considering the phenomenon Kane is) - Soldado 7 in 36, Kane 10 in 27.

Outrageous. Based on those stats Kane has scored a goal every 2.7 games, Soldado every 5.14. That's almost half as effective. Not to mention the proportion of penalties and goals in other competitions.

Regarding the quality of Bale's 'replacements', with no regards to their transfer fee:

Brilliant - Eriksen
Reasonable - Chadli
Undecided - Lamela
Disappointing - Capoue, Paulinho
Terrible - Chiriches, Soldado (breaks my heart)

I think Paulinho can actually be salvaged second half of this season, Lamela is going to continue to improve and so could Chiriches if it didn't feel like he was pretty much going to be moving away. Although if he gets his head down and is staying, a Jan, Fazio, Dier, Chiriches 4sum at the back is good. Although that said, Poch will probably want a Fazio back up similar in style.

I'm not convinced Soldado is ever going to recover and Capoue has completely failed - how he ever thought he was justified in getting caught up in a cabal to rise up against Poch and go against the youth team products I will never understand, what on earth gave him that idea??

Eriksen was always likely to be the best of the bunch but Chadli deserves huge credit for being a vital team member this season.

If we can get performances out of Paulinho and Lamela second half of this season (which I believe we can) then a 4 from 7 hit rate won't be bad, and considering Chiriches being shipped out would be more style than ability (as I think he would also play well second half of this year) then it's 5 from 7. One risk that didn't work out in Soldado, and one shocking underperformance from someone that really should have been a lot better in Capoue.

Eriksen and Chadli have done very well. The rest of the signings have been bad imo. Either very poor value for money (Lamela, Soldado) or just plain bad performances (Capoue, Chiriches)... or both (Paulinho).

Excellent = Eriksen
Coming good = Chadli
Looking promising but HOW MUCH??!?!? = Lamela
Poor but not too expensive = Chiriches, Capoue
FFS = Paulinho, Soldado

Back to the system argument. I get what someone said about Mason being the man to get forward, but it's not always possible, nor should we expect it for 90 minutes with the workrate he puts in all over the pitch. What we need is to get Lamela and Townsend to start making those movements that Paulinho has in naturally in his game. If neither of them start to do it, then we will quite often look unthreatening when crosses come in from the left. It's a goal scorer's instinct.

Oh and to add to what we currently have:

Excellent: Eriksen
Decent: Chadli
Undecided: Soldado, Lamela, Chiriches.
Ready to let go: Paulinho and Capoue.

This year Chiriches has looked useful at FB and would be a decent squad player who can cover two area's. Lamela I personally think will turn out good but might not happen this year, it's too early imo to make that call. Soldado could come good though, I think ultimately Kane will take his position and he will only get odd games out of position.

Last edited:
Yet ANOTHER awful performance. We really do have a clanger here I feel. One freak performance against Chelsea fooled everyone. Ii wondered if it was. Then burnley and now this. Yep. We play bad football. How many chances did we actually create today? Our chance creation under Poch is abysmal.

Starting townsend, who is obviously atrocious (he even managed to be awful against Chelsea and everyone was good), then subbing a winger for a DM.... Which completely distrusted our play. AWESOME MANAGEMENT POCH!

I kind of hoped maybe Chelsea was the start of something. But like qpr, arsenal, city, it was just a one off, and actually, like every single other game we continue to be awful. Luck takes us through sometimes. Not today.

Yet ANOTHER awful performance. We really do have a clanger here I feel. One freak performance against Chelsea fooled everyone. Ii wondered if it was. Then burnley and now this. Yep. We play bad football. How many chances did we actually create today? Our chance creation under Poch is abysmal.

Starting townsend, who is obviously atrocious (he even managed to be awful against Chelsea and everyone was good), then subbing a winger for a DM.... Which completely distrusted our play. AWESOME MANAGEMENT POCH!

I kind of hoped maybe Chelsea was the start of something. But like qpr, arsenal, city, it was just a one off, and actually, like every single other game we continue to be awful. Luck takes us through sometimes. Not today.

If you wait 15 minutes, you might look like less of a troll (do you enjoy when we lose?)

I do agree that Poch takes to long to learn certain things .. e.g. Townsend is not the answer to any question (regardless of what people say), and Capoue is still ****.

Seriously, Grimsby, you're becoming a parody of yourself. Yes, Capoue came on for Townsend. Then Soldado came on for the other DM, Stambouli - consequently, Dembele moved back down from the AM position he occupied, and Kane slotted in behind Soldado with Eriksen and Chadli either side of him. Hardly a sacrifice attacking wise.

And make up your mind on Townsend, mate. He's awful, but subbing him off hurt us? The two are mutually exclusive.

Back